Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I watched 2001 on a Creative Zen Vision M :clint:

\/\/\/\/ holy poo poo, XVID , there's a blast from the past

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I used to watch movies and TV on a launch PSP all the time, I remember manually XViD-ing all my Futrama DVDs and paying out the rear end for a big Sony Memory Stick because they don't use SD cards, ha.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think I watched the first episode of Desperate Housewives on an iPod Video. This was before the iPhone even existed.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Binary Badger posted:

You didn't buy from them personally, did you?

I would in a heartbeat. 3000+ feedback at 100% while selling refurbished computing equipment is loving amazing.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I rented Michael Clayton and watched it on my iPod touch in bed when I got back from winter break in college. I think rentals had just come out

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Twerk from Home posted:

I used to watch movies and TV on a launch PSP all the time, I remember manually XViD-ing all my Futrama DVDs and paying out the rear end for a big Sony Memory Stick because they don't use SD cards, ha.

Did the exact same thing for long train rides. I think I ended up liking that functionality better than any of the games that came out for it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Remember when Sony wanted people to buy movies on UMD?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sonys proprietary formats killed their handhelds. Releasing the VITA with proprietary memory cards was despicable.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

I think I watched the first episode of Desperate Housewives on an iPod Video. This was before the iPhone even existed.

I did this, but with Lost outputting to a CRT.
They never listed their video spec anywhere, no matter where you looked, but it was eventually pulled from somewhere to be "768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec"
This was largely untrue however and was a guess at what the CPU would accept.
In the pre-handbrake / PLEX / vlc app days to convert a video you had to:
- convert to mp4/264, then an esoteric new thing with almost no support
- The iPod could play any height/width you wanted, but with a particular maximum total # of pixels (a bit higher than above)
- It had to conform and both had to be divisible by 16
- the screen was 4:3 so you probably want to crop
- there was a very narrow bandwidth between "visual garbage" and too many pixels for the iPod
- there was a rounding error in how it did 23.98fps video that would make any video fall progressively out of sync unless you up/down-scaled the FPS

If you actually got it working it was basically magic in 2005 though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My vision m came with its own conversion app that would convert to MP4 (I think?) and would work maybe...80% of the time without errors. Sync issues were the worst.

I then got the iPod "classic" with the full colour display and videos looked amazingly good.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Last question...I don't need the laptop until may-is there any reason I should wait to get this? I don't anticipate the price dropping between now and then, but what the hell do I know?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Last question...I don't need the laptop until may-is there any reason I should wait to get this? I don't anticipate the price dropping between now and then, but what the hell do I know?

That's probably the lowest you'll see it until the next model rMBP are released. If you can afford it now, I'd say pull the trigger. There's no guarantee what's available in the refurb section from one day to the next.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Sphyre posted:

In this situation with a new macbook you would use a TB3 hub, connect all your desk peripherals + ethernet to that, and then be able to connect and power your macbook with a single cable (possibly two or three depending on what monitors you use. I think there are TB3 hubs that support dual 4k monitors over a single cable). That's a massive improvement over having to connect a bunch of poo poo to your macbook, not to mention having a rats nest of cables on your desk, every time you want to move, imo!

Exactly my thought. I don't get dongle hate at all. Admittedly I'm one of those people who never plugs anything in to my laptop except power cable. However, if I wanted to connect to my peripherals at my desk, I would just use a single hub and fixed-cable configuration. No dongles, no problem.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Hi guys,

Couldn't get an answer in the cg thread so here goes:

I am in the market for a 2016 mac book pro to use with final cut pro 4k video editing on the go and hopefully some 3d using Maya. Anyone here use those apps with the Radeon 455 version that's available in apple stores? I am curious how much of a performance increase is there between 455 and 460.

Thanks for any help.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Powered Descent posted:

Counter-anecdote: the typical use case for laptops (with or without apples on them) in the ops center is a power cable, two or three external monitors, a proper keyboard and mouse, and a set of earphones. My 2014 MBP handles all this like a champ. Sure, everyone sometimes uses their laptop "naked", but mostly just in meetings or if hanging out on a beanbag for a while. But there's a reason we keep all that extra crap handy at our desks, and use it 90% of the time.

(Note: the term "naked" here refers to the laptop and not the user, except if one is working from home that day, in which case all bets are off.)

Lots of people were bitching about the ports on the new MacBook, but I'm in a similar situation, and now I have a great little USB-C dongle that my monitor, power, and keyboard and mouse are plugged into, so I just attach one cable and I'm all setup. That and for some reason TouchID authenticates against our directory server way the gently caress faster than just typing my password. I have no idea why but it's just lovely.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

keyframe posted:

Hi guys,

Couldn't get an answer in the cg thread so here goes:

I am in the market for a 2016 mac book pro to use with final cut pro 4k video editing on the go and hopefully some 3d using Maya. Anyone here use those apps with the Radeon 455 version that's available in apple stores? I am curious how much of a performance increase is there between 455 and 460.

Thanks for any help.

The 460 has twice the video ram, so... like, twice as good as the 455 :v:

FCPX runs like a dream on my MBP with the 460, but it was never too awful on my MBA. I'm going to have to test out 123d Design today, I've never used maya.

8ender posted:

Lots of people were bitching about the ports on the new MacBook, but I'm in a similar situation, and now I have a great little USB-C dongle that my monitor, power, and keyboard and mouse are plugged into, so I just attach one cable and I'm all setup. That and for some reason TouchID authenticates against our directory server way the gently caress faster than just typing my password. I have no idea why but it's just lovely.

Which dongle did you get? Asking for a friend...

tuyop fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 3, 2017

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

tuyop posted:

FCPX runs like a dream on my MBP with the 460, but it was never too awful on my MBA. I'm going to have to test out 123d Design today, I've never used maya.

123d is dead. It's time to move up to Fusion 360.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

I use this one as a "dock" at work.

https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Shuttle-Delivery-Charging-Output/dp/B019R9ILTG

I also have a couple of these I keep in my bag.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015Z7XE0A

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

123d is dead. It's time to move up to Fusion 360.

Oh. Sigh.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

How does one prep a MacBook Pro to sell now? I know with iCloud and all that, it's kind of hard. I want to show the potential buyer the desk top and all that but without any of my info (my iCloud) on there. Is there a way to reformat and gain access to the desktop without logging in? I know iPhones won't allow it.

Anyways, jumping from my 2015 rMBP to the new 2016 models wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. I miss the old keyboard but the dongles aren't so bad once you learn how to tether them together to the power supply. The 2016 MBP makes the 2015 model look thick and bulky, it's crazy how much lighter and thinner it is in person.

I also don't know how they did it but the SSDs in the 2016 15" MBPs are even faster then last years model. I had a 1TB ssd in my old 15" MBP and that was blazing fast already.

Edit: I just wished this laptop had a GTX 1050 instead of the Radeon Pro 460 for CUDA

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 3, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Rabid Snake posted:

Is there a way to reformat and gain access to the desktop without logging in?

Install the stock OS X the laptop came with by using Internet Recovery (so the install isn't tied to your Apple ID). That will at least get you to the Welcome wizard, which is more than good enough when showing that it boots etc. If you want you can go through the wizard and set up an account with no password.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
New LG UltraFine 5K monitor is trash. Crashes macOS and half the time Windows only recognizes 800x600 at glorious 5K DPI.

Returned it and got two Dell 4K monitors. Now poo poo works.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

5 was too many Ks

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Just bought a 2.9 , 1 tb 460 gfx card mbp and can't find a goddamn usb c to usb cable anywhere in this city. loving apple could have at least put one usb 3 port on this thing :smith:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

next time, dongle up in advance

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
PSA for the dongle dozen: thunderbolt 2 does not equal display port. So like, a tb3 to tb2 dongle doesn't let you plug in those two dollar eBay hdmi to display port adaptors. You need a tb3 to display port dongle for your collection instead.

I'm an idiot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tuyop posted:

PSA for the dongle dozen: thunderbolt 2 does not equal display port. So like, a tb3 to tb2 dongle doesn't let you plug in those two dollar eBay hdmi to display port adaptors. You need a tb3 to display port dongle for your collection instead.

I'm an idiot.

You’re not an idiot, or at least not in this matter. It’s legitimately confusing.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yep, exactly the same thing happened to me.

New MacBook Pro, tried to connect to my Eizo display via mini display port, have a usb-c -> thunderbolt adapter, no worky.

Time to order dongle 6

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Apples page for the TB adapter says it won't work with DisplayPort

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i keep forgetting what a markup these thing are. tb3 to tb2 are freaking $29! and that's with the "sale"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Strong Sauce posted:

i keep forgetting what a markup these thing are. tb3 to tb2 are freaking $29! and that's with the "sale"

“Good dongles are expensive.”

—Tim Cook

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
In this regard Apple is like Monster Cables. Instead of gold coating they charge for white plastic.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
brb parenting my innovative dongleHub 3000

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

brb parenting my innovative dongleHub 3000*
*coming Q2 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

*developed by LG

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

tuyop posted:

This guy seems to be the best:
https://www.hypershop.com/collections/usb-type-c/products/hyperdrive-usb-type-c-hub-with-4k-hdmi-support

We bought something like 4-5 different weird brand name Amazon ones at work to try them out and this one supports 1440p properly, charges nicely, and doesn't gently caress with wifi or bluetooth.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

rear end Catchcum posted:

In this regard Apple is like Monster Cables. Instead of gold coating they charge for white plastic.

In this case they're charging for a bit more than plastic. TB1/TB2 cables had two line equalization / conditioner chips, one inside each molded plastic connector shell. This new TB3-to-TB2 adapter has a lot more than that, judging by the size of the little dongle containing the TB3 port.

Thunderbolt 1/2 cabling is inherently expensive because it always has to have these chips. TB3 changes things because there's now support for slower passive cables. (IIRC, the slow TB3 passive cabling gets you the same throughput as TB2, and fast TB3 cabling with active silicon runs at twice that speed.)

On a different topic I just learned something cool about the TB3-TB2 adapter by looking up Apple's product info page while writing this post:

Apple posted:

As a bidirectional adapter, it can also connect new Thunderbolt 3 devices to a Mac with a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port and macOS Sierra.

I had thought it worked in only one direction, so I'm glad to hear otherwise.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Serious Hardware / Software Crap › Mac Hardware megathread - ITT dongle diagnosis

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Glad we're using a non-confusing straightforward universal cable standard now with all kinds of gotchas and incompatibilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Apple is literally waging a war on cables. They want to drag everything to wireless as quickly and haplessly as possible.