Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

So good that he should make more like that and less like Batman.

yeah Green Room was the best movie of 2016, if Saulnier got swallowed up by the franchise superhero machine it would be hugely depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think he'd be a good choice for a superhero film but something toned down.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
He'd probably make a pretty good Spawn.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Or Ghost Rider.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gareth Edwards belongs in the blockbuster club, but he should be making original giant films instead of franchises.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

edit: misread

edit 2: i mean if we simply have to give Saulnier a comic book movie I say either The Crow or a remake of A History of Violence.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Crow would be a really good choice for him.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Saulnier for a Judge Dredd movie from a perp's perspective.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the more i think about Saulnier directing Macon Blair in a version of A History of Violence that sticks closer to the comic, the more I like it.

Also, since the adaptation of Ed Brubaker's Coward that bounced back and forth from Kim Jee-Woon to David Slade seems to be dead in the water, give him that one. Saulnier's a much better fit than either of those directors anyway.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
You know what, I wanna see Saulnier direct a non-fiction or graphic memoir comic. Let him do Safe Area Gorazde, let him really stretch his legs.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

You know what, I wanna see Saulnier direct a non-fiction or graphic memoir comic. Let him do Safe Area Gorazde, let him really stretch his legs.

I've had that checked out from the library forever, I really gotta read it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It'll make you real sad.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

It'll make you real sad.

I don't doubt it.

As long as we're on a Saulnier tangent, his next movie, Hold the Dark, has been announced and looks to join The Grey in the modern Man vs. Wolves genre.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phylodox posted:

Well, part of that is that you're seeing it in a ripped GIF, so the size and quality aren't that great. The murky worms are much clearer in the full-size shot. And the framing of the mothership, blotting out a whole nebula or galaxy or what have you, sells its size for me, too. Maybe not for you, I dunno. And, no, there's not a lot of awe and wonder at being teleported across the universe because that's not what the scene is about. It's about frantic action leading up to Tony's heroic sacrifice. I mean, yeah, they could have spared a moment, maybe after the mothership had been destroyed, for Tony to drift for a bit and appreciate the situation, but that's not what they wanted that scene to be about, and I'm not gonna blame them for that.

I thought we were seeing Tony Stark genocide their entire species since it's their homeworld.

:v:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

It seems really blinkered to jump straight to "neo noir with moments of sudden intense violence" as his whole ouevre, I'd love to see what else he can do. Saulnier's Concrete. Saulnier's Adventures of Luther Arkwright. If it has to be grim and gritty, let him have a shot at From Hell or like, Lone Wolf and Cub.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Please don't steal library books.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
My favorite Saulnier joint is still Murder Party, so I dunno, maybe give him The Flash movie, maybe then we'll get a 'more optimistic' DC movie but then also it won't suck like most optimistic movies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

K. Waste posted:

He'd probably make a pretty good Spawn.

gently caress, now I want this to happen and I know it won't.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

edit: misread

edit 2: i mean if we simply have to give Saulnier a comic book movie I say either The Crow or a remake of A History of Violence.

Uh A History of Violence is like the best comic book movie and anyone who touches it has to contend with me and my many on point posts

Violator
May 15, 2003

The Cameo posted:

Color grading turned into a thing because of O Brother, Where Art Thou?. The Matrix as it was originally released looks like it went through a normal 20th century color film workflow - everything seems very specifically lit and colored on the day of the shot, and was color timed like 99.9% of movies were back then (which is to say, taking a dip in a chemical bath).

The sequels got swooped up in the color grading frenzy of the post-Thou Hollywood, though. What's fascinating is that you can see two different processes by watching the DVD of The Matrix and the Blu-ray of it. One was color timed photochemically; the other, digitally color graded.

It's pretty refreshing to go back a few decades and see how different movies look. I've been watching a lot of 90's action and thrillers lately (The Fugitive, Die Hard with a Vengeance, Sneakers, The Devil's Own, Clear and Present Danger, etc.) and everything looks like it takes place in the real world. I'm a big fan of what can be done artistically now, but sometimes I just want something that feels real and doesn't have super stylized color grading and whatnot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Please don't steal library books.

it's called "borrowing"

Shageletic posted:

Uh A History of Violence is like the best comic book movie and anyone who touches it has to contend with me and my many on point posts

yeah, it's definitely in the top 3 of comic book movies and top 5 of Cronenberg movies, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Saulnier give his take.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

This seemed to get lost among everything else. It's from the new DC TV series Powerless in case people weren't aware, ep 1 just dropped and it's chock full of references and injokes like that. It has cameo appearances by super obscure characters like Crimson Fox, Jack O'Lantern and Starro and references to Blackhawks, Solder Cola and more, plus a cameo from Marc McClure who played Jimmy Olsen in the 70s/80s Superman movies.

It's pretty much the DC equivalent of Damage Inc and it's a fun lighthearted show about much it sucks for regular people who live in cities where superhero/villain regularly battle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55UFlBE_60U

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it's called "borrowing"

yeah, it's definitely in the top 3 of comic book movies and top 5 of Cronenberg movies, but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Saulnier give his take.

That's an interesting question. What are your top three comic book movies?

Right off the top of the dome:

1) A History of Violence

2) BvS lol no, American Splendour

3) Snowpiercer (its either that, or Captain America 2, I love me some Chris Evans).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mine are probably A History of Violence, Akira and Superman: The Movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Phylodox posted:

Did you mean this scene?

I dunno, I think there's some comparison. I quite like it. Maybe I'm just weird, though.

There's obviously some comparison, but you gotta compare them side by side.

The only shot in it that's good is the cut to his bulging eyes. That's a hell of a deal for an other visually drab movie.

The rest of it is just whatever, it conveys some information. The idea is excellent, but the execution of it is just there.

Meanwhile the BVS one conveys a ton in it's brief setup - the detonation of a nuke is properly apocalyptic, there's a sense of disorientation with the keening shot, the slow closeup on a demigod being reborn. Much more in common with the somewhat similar scene from Ang Lee's Hulk, where he rides the jet up to the upper atmosphere.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ghost World, Addams Family Values, Danger: Diabolik. Shoutouts to Barbarella, Punisher: War Zone, Hulk, BvS, and Oldboy.

Oh poo poo yeah, Akira. Good call LtKen

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
#1 for me is probably always gonna be Ghost World.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Barbarella is so good, I just got the reprint of the original comics and I'm stoked to finally read em.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Ghost World, Addams Family Values, Danger: Diabolik. Shoutouts to Barbarella, Punisher: War Zone, Hulk, BvS, and Oldboy.

Oh poo poo yeah, Akira. Good call LtKen

gently caress, Oldboy! Forgot that was a comic. Yeah, that's defintely shoots up to the top of the list.

Diabolik is such a great, singular movie. So weird and cool. The soundtrack!

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Violator posted:

It's pretty refreshing to go back a few decades and see how different movies look. I've been watching a lot of 90's action and thrillers lately (The Fugitive, Die Hard with a Vengeance, Sneakers, The Devil's Own, Clear and Present Danger, etc.) and everything looks like it takes place in the real world. I'm a big fan of what can be done artistically now, but sometimes I just want something that feels real and doesn't have super stylized color grading and whatnot.

I fixed them.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick
The Dolph Lundgren Punisher is really good, especially when he shoots the opening credits.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

#1 for me is probably always gonna be Ghost World.

Ghost World is the only comic movie that is so much better than the comic, even accounting for being totally different media, that I feel zero inclination to ever pick up the book again.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Ghost World is the only comic movie that is so much better than the comic, even accounting for being totally different media, that I feel zero inclination to ever pick up the book again.

The movie's script is better, but it's worth revisiting the comic if only for Clowes' art, which is pretty fantastic.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Temuera Morrison in talks to be Aquaman's father, Arthur Curry

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-actor-temuera-morrison-talks-join-aquaman-971183

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The movie's script is better, but it's worth revisiting the comic if only for Clowes' art, which is pretty fantastic.

I'm probably being unfair but I feel like if I'm in the mood for Clowes's art I'll always go to Ice Haven or the absolutely stunning David Boring instead.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Very cool that they're keeping with the Maori theme in Aquaman.

Except for Amber Heard I guess.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

Very cool that they're keeping with the Maori theme in Aquaman.

Except for Amber Heard I guess.

Aquaman is meant to be mixed race, might as well make that literal instead of "human and mermaid race but both are white"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I'm probably being unfair but I feel like if I'm in the mood for Clowes's art I'll always go to Ice Haven or the absolutely stunning David Boring instead.

nah that's fair. I haven't read Ice Haven but David Boring is good.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

McCloud posted:

Serious question. Do you guys think history will vindicate Snyders movies? Like, 300 was kinda ridiculed when it came out, as was the Watchmen movies, but people mellowed out on those and some even consider the Watchmen good now (the horrible sex scene notwithstanding). MoS and BvS is still wildly divisive, and people still love to talk about it, contrasting with the forgettable Marvel movies (with the exception of Guardians).

I'm wondering if we'll see the Verhoeven effect with Snyders movies. Starship Troopers is now something of a classic because people realised it was satire (or is it ironic?) but when it was released people dismissed it as a stupid movie, from my understanding.

The big thing that will change with time is the fanatic hate from Not My Superman and Not My Batman critiques. As that finally fades away both movies will be subjected to a much more honest critique that focuses more on their failures and successes as movies, and less on how bullshit it is that Superman and Lois Lane were just hardcore dry humping on a mound of corpses or how Batman just killed indiscriminately and with loving GUNS!

It'll be a lot like the Star Wars prequels, where people's opinions have generally shifted away from them being childhood destroying poo poo piles of malicious avarice and laziness. Generally people still don't like them, but they're much more willing to actually look at them as movies and without the emotional baggage. MoS and BvS will probably go up several notches on the "enjoy-ability" and "were good" scales, while the Prequels probably only managed to eke out a single notch, maybe a notch and a half in the ensuing decade since their release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I feel like Watchmen has actually gone down in esteem over the years, when it first came out it got some very positive reviews, including a 4-star one from Ebert, but nobody really seems to remember that.

• Locked thread