Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Excessive Secretions

What are these secretions, and how much does it take to officially classify as excessive amounts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Slime posted:

Excessive Secretions

What are these secretions, and how much does it take to officially classify as excessive amounts?
Drooly baby?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

Drooly vagina?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

If you're just too moist.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Opiates can keep you from pooping.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite product placement is on American idol type shows in China. Instead of Pepsi cups on the judge table it's cooking oil or laundry detergent. I'm pretty sure it was once a bucket of gravel

Fauxtool has a new favorite as of 03:11 on Feb 3, 2017

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

I'm bummed they didn't include the classic radium ad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

hyperhazard posted:

Ah, so that's how I increase my sex power.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Platystemon posted:

*Pictures of Radium-based contraception*

To be fair, exposing your genitals to ionizing radiation is a quick and easy way to ensure sterility. (If you disregard the whole cancer and acute radiation sickness thing.)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'm sure it was pronounced 'nute-x'

But I can only read it as nut-ex .... which makes sense given what it is

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm in this dumb IT program and all the transcender questions for the microsoft portions are based on a domain called nutex.com :o:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Portmanteau of “NUCLEAR LATEX” is my guess, but I think “nuclear” was technical jargon at the time.

The wording of “put through special processes to grain greater sensitiveness” makes me think of the condom becoming empathetic and painting watercolours. Surely you want the genitals to be more sensitive, not the prophylactic.

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely
Did they glow in the dark, like other radium products?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

hyperhazard posted:

Hey, it's what the forums used to use.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Platystemon posted:

Portmanteau of “NUCLEAR LATEX” is my guess, but I think “nuclear” was technical jargon at the time.

The wording of “put through special processes to grain greater sensitiveness” makes me think of the condom becoming empathetic and painting watercolours. Surely you want the genitals to be more sensitive, not the prophylactic.

These days, the condoms say 'electronically tested' and I can't help but think that means they've been tested by two robots loving.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

hyperhazard posted:

Radium went in a lot of stuff. I came across this a few months ago while cleaning out my grandparents flat:

Really wasn't sure how to best dispose of it...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Degenerate Star posted:

Did they glow in the dark, like other radium products?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNTg2Uz7-pM

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

jojoinnit posted:

Really wasn't sure how to best dispose of it...

On ebay?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Wait, I get the dyes and magic suppositories as Radium products, but wouldn't Radium burn holes in the latex? Presumably also your DNA, your partner's DNA, and the DNA of your germ cells, but most pressing for the very concept of a barrier contraceptive is the integrity of said barrier. I'm no physicist, but I don't know how ionizing radiation would help maintain a seal in an organic material sensitive to heat, friction, and UV

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Wait, I get the dyes and magic suppositories as Radium products, but wouldn't Radium burn holes in the latex? Presumably also your DNA, your partner's DNA, and the DNA of your germ cells, but most pressing for the very concept of a barrier contraceptive is the integrity of said barrier. I'm no physicist, but I don't know how ionizing radiation would help maintain a seal in an organic material sensitive to heat, friction, and UV

Hey, they tested the condoms extensively. Nobody got pregnant* while they were being used, so they clearly worked!

* Pregnancy may have been prevented by sterilization via radiation.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It'll drag your sperm countg down so lo it won't matter anymore. The best prevention for pregnancy is infertility.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Not holes as such, but if there was a significant amount it would make the latex brittle and friable over time. Similar to exposure to UV light.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

There was a question on Quora asking how long it'd take for your pets to eat your slowly putrefying body.

By the time a dog got hungry enough you wouldn't be safe to eat. Cats will go right at it, but if they like you they'll at least spare your face.

I am not in a hurry to get killed, but I see nothing wrong with being eaten after I die.

Larry Hagman posted:

I want to be spread over a field and have marijuana and wheat planted and harvest it in a couple of years and then have a big marijuana cake, enough for 200 or 300 people. People eat a little of Larry.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pastry of the Year posted:

I am not in a hurry to get killed, but I see nothing wrong with being eaten after I die.

Live fast, die young, leave a delicious corpse.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Laudanum was a basic druggist preparation and advertising it (without dressing it up as a patent medicine) would have been like advertising iodine. Even for a fake ad, though, this is a terrible execution.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Laudanum was a basic druggist preparation and advertising it (without dressing it up as a patent medicine) would have been like advertising iodine. Even for a fake ad, though, this is a terrible execution.

You do understand that it's from a catalog, right? The fakest looking thing about the ad is how big it is, Sears & Roebuck catalogs were packed stupid-full of copy. I've seen a few sources claiming they sold laudanum (alongside cocaine and heroin) though so they must have had a little advertising blurb somewhere, even if it was just a paragraph of text.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Laudanum was used in home remedies and prescriptions, as well as a single medication.

Are you sure? I don't know if the ad is fake or not, but it seems plausible. I'd think the failure in execution, if it were fake, would be going for something the average person would have to look up instead of obviously being "we need vegetables for the war effort so if you want to give your children something healthy give them cocaine instead!".

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Platystemon posted:

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-california-commute-20150106-story.html

Won’t somebody think of the downtodden Sherman Oaks residents, whose homes might be worth slightly less than an average $873,200 now?

Truly the greatest injustice of our age.

In less than an hour, more than 150 cars went by? So that's what, one every 15-20 seconds? I didn't care about that problem when I first heard about it and I care even less now.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
After really thinking hard about it, yes, I'm sure the ad with several different modern typefaces in multiple point sizes with razor-sharp resolution, an awkwardly-placed small logo of the catalog it's supposedly from, massive amounts of whitespace (one page for a single [e: generic] product?!), and multiple spelling errors is fake.

edit: laudanum's in the bottom left corner (S,R&Co. Catalogue No.112). Again, generic laudanum wasn't advertised; everyone knew what it was and what it was for. Here it's alongside epsom salts and borax, turpentine and ammonia.

edit a billion: I'm not taking great exception to the content (except "excessive secretions," which is included just to be ridiculous), I object to it being made up and presented among other real-life examples of advertising so that people will look at it and go "wow they really printed this totally real period-accurate ad for opium for babies???? lol people sure were dumb then"

A HUNGRY MOUTH has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Feb 3, 2017

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
As an apology, have the Princess Bust Developer and Bust Cream or Food ($1.50) from page 457 of the previously linked catalogue.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

As an apology, have the Princess Bust Developer and Bust Cream or Food ($1.50) from page 457 of the previously linked catalogue.

Breast cream or food? People be rubbin Miracle Whip all over their titties.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Achernar posted:

Breast cream or food? People be rubbin Miracle Whip all over their titties.

Rock on.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Atmus posted:

In less than an hour, more than 150 cars went by? So that's what, one every 15-20 seconds? I didn't care about that problem when I first heard about it and I care even less now.

Yes? When you buy a house in a subdivision specifically because of the low traffic so you dont have to worry about your kids getting ran over by some distracted rear end in a top hat commuter staring at his phone trying to save 45 seconds on his trip while facebooking and spamming skip on spotify, yeah, id be pissed.

Granted i live in a low traffice area in loving kansas but i can tell you if my neighborhoods traffic suddenly skyrocketed because of a google algorithim id be pissed, especially because the number one selling point for us was the lack of traffic and safety.

But seriously, gently caress those people who arent me, they should have foreseen this would happen amiright!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember what it's for, a drug store or a drug itself, but there's a raido ad I hear at least once an hour with a sick guy coughing bad, and saying he has to call out sick tomorrow. One commercial has his wife asking, all pissy, if he wants to call out sick to his daughter's birthday. The other has a whiny kid whimpering about him missing a dance recital.

YES. YES loving YES. You should not be around loving kids if you are sick beyond the loving common cold! The flu, bronchitis? Yes, you loving call out sick! Or, no, wait, you go and expose a ton of people to whatever has you coughing nonstop. Great idea.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Or, no, wait, you go and expose a ton of people to whatever has you coughing nonstop. Great idea.

That's what the director of the day care I worked at believed. She made me work running a fever of 101 and throwing up and one of the girls there had to come in with pink eye.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cowslips Warren posted:

I can't remember what it's for, a drug store or a drug itself, but there's a raido ad I hear at least once an hour with a sick guy coughing bad, and saying he has to call out sick tomorrow. One commercial has his wife asking, all pissy, if he wants to call out sick to his daughter's birthday. The other has a whiny kid whimpering about him missing a dance recital.

YES. YES loving YES. You should not be around loving kids if you are sick beyond the loving common cold! The flu, bronchitis? Yes, you loving call out sick! Or, no, wait, you go and expose a ton of people to whatever has you coughing nonstop. Great idea.

I think this is DayQuil.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Len posted:

That's what the director of the day care I worked at believed. She made me work running a fever of 101 and throwing up and one of the girls there had to come in with pink eye.

That's when you "accidently" go out of your way to cough as close to them and as often as you can without raising suspicion.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sic Semper Goon posted:

That's when you "accidently" go out of your way to cough as close to them and as often as you can without raising suspicion.

I called the state instead and she packed her desk and left a week after they showed up because she didn't want her reputation tarnished because of all the many health and safety issues the center had and she refused to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

Switchblade Switcharoo

Len posted:

I called the state instead and she packed her desk and left a week after they showed up because she didn't want her reputation tarnished because of all the many health and safety issues the center had and she refused to fix.

A better way. Sadly, she'll just get off scot free and go elsewhere, as did my previous manager.