Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PrinceRandom posted:

SWEDISH BORG?

SWEET'N SOURBORG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HEY GRAIL

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

The Phlegmatist posted:

Saw this while I was hunting around for wall crucifixes online. The perfect gift for the die-hard patripassian in your life!

Oh god, don't show this to any conspiracy theory nuts. Replacing a halo with a triangle???

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

CountFosco posted:

Oh god, don't show this to any conspiracy theory nuts. Replacing a halo with a triangle???

That's a pretty common symbol of the Trinity, actually

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAIL posted:

HEY GRAIL

This would make a rad username, actually.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

System Metternich posted:

That's a pretty common symbol of the Trinity, actually

I'm onto you, System Metternich.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Hi thread, I'm interested in your thoughts on this story:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/02/nun-receives-death-threats-suggesting-mary-virgin

Obviously individuals sending death threats for perceived heresy is bullshit, but was her original statement heresy, in your view?

I remember being told about Jesus' brothers and sisters in my early youth (Church of Scotland), and I always took it pretty much as read that Joseph and Mary had a standard marriage, until I got exposed to hardcore Anglo-Catholicism in adulthood. Is denying the perpetual virginity of Mary an absolutely deal-breaker heresy?

Honestly, and I'm ready to be corrected on this, the idea that Mary's virginity is somehow key to her holiness kind of creeps me out. I realise I may be missing something about the doctrine.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
catholics and orthodox traditionally have always held that mary was a virgin throughout her life. this goes along with the tradition that joseph was already old when they met.

edit: some catholics take this in weird directions, like the time Elector Maximilian of Bavaria wrote a dedication to mary in his own blood and sealed the paper in a silver tube, but it's possible to interpret this in not-weird ways

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 3, 2017

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i do not see the connection between believing in the perpetual virginity of mary and writing a dedication in your own blood and putting it in a tube

is that... is that a thing virgins did? or do?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Mr Enderby posted:

Hi thread, I'm interested in your thoughts on this story:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/02/nun-receives-death-threats-suggesting-mary-virgin

Obviously individuals sending death threats for perceived heresy is bullshit, but was her original statement heresy, in your view?

I remember being told about Jesus' brothers and sisters in my early youth (Church of Scotland), and I always took it pretty much as read that Joseph and Mary had a standard marriage, until I got exposed to hardcore Anglo-Catholicism in adulthood. Is denying the perpetual virginity of Mary an absolutely deal-breaker heresy?

Honestly, and I'm ready to be corrected on this, the idea that Mary's virginity is somehow key to her holiness kind of creeps me out. I realise I may be missing something about the doctrine.

Yes, for Catholics, denying the perpetual virginity of Mary is a really big problem. Not deserving of death threats, no, but if instead her superior had gotten 183,000 angry letters asking her to take away her twitter account, that would have been perfectly proportionate, in my mind. Mary's virginity is important because it explains why Mary asked how she was going to become the mother of God; it's important because Mary was the new Ark of the Covenant and so only bore God within her womb, just like the Ark only held holy things; it's important because Mary is a model for religious who've given up marriage (a good thing) to single-heartedly serve God (an even better thing). Too, saying "well they had to have had a normal marriage" seems awfully close to "well Jesus had to be married, he just had to", which is something else Catholics may not believe happened :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

i do not see the connection between believing in the perpetual virginity of mary and writing a dedication in your own blood and putting it in a tube

is that... is that a thing virgins did? or do?
in the 17th century, men with extremely fervent devotions to Mary developed weird ideas about women, men, and themselves

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

zonohedron posted:

Yes, for Catholics, denying the perpetual virginity of Mary is a really big problem. Not deserving of death threats, no, but if instead her superior had gotten 183,000 angry letters asking her to take away her twitter account, that would have been perfectly proportionate, in my mind. Mary's virginity is important because it explains why Mary asked how she was going to become the mother of God; it's important because Mary was the new Ark of the Covenant and so only bore God within her womb, just like the Ark only held holy things; it's important because Mary is a model for religious who've given up marriage (a good thing) to single-heartedly serve God (an even better thing). Too, saying "well they had to have had a normal marriage" seems awfully close to "well Jesus had to be married, he just had to", which is something else Catholics may not believe happened :v:

Thank you for the response. I hope you don't mind if I split apart the clauses.

"Mary's virginity is important because it explains why Mary asked how she was going to become the mother of God": This comes before she was married.

"It's important because Mary was the new Ark of the Covenant and so only bore God within her womb, just like the Ark only held holy things,. it's important because Mary is a model for religious who've given up marriage (a good thing) to single-heartedly serve God (an even better thing)." These seem very reasonable exegetic readings of the perpetual virginity of Mary, but I'm not sure they constitute an argument for such an understanding of Mary being essential.

"Too, saying "well they had to have had a normal marriage" seems awfully close to "well Jesus had to be married, he just had to", which is something else Catholics may not believe happened."
Yeah, I accept this criticism. I was sort of aware as I was writing it that talking about a "standard marriage" was a bit lovely. Bad wording on my part.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr Enderby posted:

Is denying the perpetual virginity of Mary an absolutely deal-breaker heresy?

Certainly isn't for Protestants. It's not a question Protestants tend to spend any amount of time on to begin with, and my pastor growing up occasionally discussed it - in his opinion there's no info one way or another but he saw no reason to not think Mary and Joseph had a happy, loving marriage and had children after Jesus.

Protestants have a pretty different idea of Mary's relationship with God than Catholics and Orthodox do in general, though.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Mr Enderby posted:

Thank you for the response. I hope you don't mind if I split apart the clauses.

"Mary's virginity is important because it explains why Mary asked how she was going to become the mother of God": This comes before she was married.

"It's important because Mary was the new Ark of the Covenant and so only bore God within her womb, just like the Ark only held holy things,. it's important because Mary is a model for religious who've given up marriage (a good thing) to single-heartedly serve God (an even better thing)." These seem very reasonable exegetic readings of the perpetual virginity of Mary, but I'm not sure they constitute an argument for such an understanding of Mary being essential.

"Too, saying "well they had to have had a normal marriage" seems awfully close to "well Jesus had to be married, he just had to", which is something else Catholics may not believe happened."
Yeah, I accept this criticism. I was sort of aware as I was writing it that talking about a "standard marriage" was a bit lovely. Bad wording on my part.

Yes, the angel's message came before Mary was married, but Gabriel didn't say "in ten minutes", so it's quite reasonable she could have assumed "nine months after the wedding", right? Sarah laughs at the idea she'll have a child in a year because she knows she's past menopause and she didn't have any children before that either, but Mary's young, and we have no reason to think she suspected infertility on her part or Joseph's. (There's other supporting evidence to suggest that Mary had no children besides Jesus, but those verses don't say anything specifically about sexual abstinence within marriage.)

And yes, the various important exegetic readings don't prove anything; they're more "things that depend on this" than "why this is true". Catholics think that we teach Mary's perpetual virginity because that's actually what was the case - that it's important that, when we know a fact about a historical figure, doctrines that involve that person correspond to that fact. It'd be wrong to say "well Popes don't marry so I think Peter probably didn't either", because Peter was married, and so it's also wrong (especially for someone who might seem like a reliable source) to say "well usually marriages involve sex, so I think Mary's did too".

Cythereal posted:

Certainly isn't for Protestants. It's not a question Protestants tend to spend any amount of time on to begin with, and my pastor growing up occasionally discussed it - in his opinion there's no info one way or another but he saw no reason to not think Mary and Joseph had a happy, loving marriage and had children after Jesus.

I don't see any reason not to think that Mary and Joseph had a happy, loving marriage either, and as far as I know (...it probably exists, don't enlighten me) there's nobody saying that they were unhappily married or that they didn't love each other. (There is plenty of reason to think they didn't have children after Jesus, but I think we've had this argument in one of the previous iterations of this thread.)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I think from the broad Protestant perspective, it doesn't really matter whether Mary remained a virgin after she gave birth to Jesus Christ. The important part is that Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit within the virgin Mary, and beyond that Protestantism doesn't think about Mary much.

Unfortunately that leaves us with very few important female figures in Protestantism.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

I think from the broad Protestant perspective, it doesn't really matter whether Mary remained a virgin after she gave birth to Jesus Christ. The important part is that Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit within the virgin Mary, and beyond that Protestantism doesn't think about Mary much.

Unfortunately that leaves us with very few important female figures in Protestantism.

You've got your jezebels and your hoor of Babylon and uh Eve

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

syscall girl posted:

You've got your jezebels and your hoor of Babylon and uh Eve

You still have all the cool old testament ladies like Rut and Noemi (sp?)

I think the virginity thing comes from Roman culture. Before Christianity, Romans also had a bunch of stories about how it's better to be dead than have your virginity taken away as a woman. So I guess it's no wonder they picked up on that aspect.

genola
Apr 7, 2011
Well there's also Ruth and Esther in the OT. And there's Priscilla in the NT, but you don't really hear too much about what she's like other than she's always with her husband.

Also my reading of Matthew 1:24-25 implies that Mary and Joseph consummated (especially since it says "until"):

"When Joseph awoke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took her as his wife, but had no marital relations with her until she had borne a son; and he named him Jesus."

Edit: ^^^oh yeah I forgot Naomi! I think we have different spellings.

genola fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 3, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

genola posted:

Well there's also Ruth and Esther in the OT. And there's Priscilla in the NT, but you don't really hear too much about what she's like other than she's always with her husband.

Edit: ^^^oh yeah I forgot Naomi! I think we have different spellings.

Yeah, whenever Protestant churches talk about important women in the Bible, in my experience, Ruth is the go-to example.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

genola posted:

Also my reading of Matthew 1:24-25 implies that Mary and Joseph consummated (especially since it says "until"):

"When Joseph awoke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took her as his wife, but had no marital relations with her until she had borne a son; and he named him Jesus."

Thats very clear that they had sex. It seems unconscionable to me to push the notion of "perpetual virginity" with its obvious misogynistic and unhealthy implications.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

genola posted:

Exceptio probat regulam in casibus non exceptis.

Do any thread classicists have a view on what the Greek implies?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Thats very clear that they had sex. It seems unconscionable to me to push the notion of "perpetual virginity" with its obvious misogynistic and unhealthy implications.

2 Samuel 6:23 says that Michal had no children until the day of her death, but it's very clear that the writer didn't mean "but she had children afterwards", because we know that dead people don't have kids. Matthew 1:24-25 is only "very clear" that they had sex if it's important to you that they did, I think; all it says is that Joseph definitely did not cause Jesus to be conceived and did not do anything with Mary that could have caused Jesus to be conceived.

Besides, is it still pushing a notion if it's simply stating the truth? Catholics insist on Mary's perpetual virginity because she was perpetually a virgin. Catholics insist on Jesus's bodily resurrection from the dead because he rose with a physical body that could fold burial cloths, eat fish, and be touched. Catholics insist that the miracle of the loaves and fishes was not merely sharing, because food really was multiplied in a supernatural way.

Part of the problem that people have with Catholic Tradition (big T, "revealed truths that are not explicitly stated in Sacred Scripture") about this, I think, is that modern society tends to distrust self-denial if it's for religious reasons. "I'm not eating meat because it's environmentally unsustainable" is okay; "I'm not eating meat for religious reasons" is not. "I'm only drinking water tomorrow to purge toxins" is okay; "I'm fasting from everything but water tomorrow" is not. It's true with hair - "Whoa, that guy didn't cut his hair for a whole year? neat!" vs "WTF, Sikh men don't cut their hair? gross!" - and it's especially true with sexuality.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

In this case, it being "the truth" is sketchy. The Bible does say that Joseph held off "until she had given birth," implying he didn't afterward. Why would they state it that way? It was no more ink to say Joseph left her alone forever, but the writers didn't phrase it that way. If Mary remaining perpetually a virgin were a real and important thing, the Gospel writers sure could have mentioned it.

There's also the issue of Jesus' brothers and sisters, mentioned a couple of times, and obviously James, specifically called the brother of Jesus. Getting around that requires some assumptions not in evidence, that Joseph was older and had children from a previous marriage.

Perpetual virginity adds complications and assumptions that require a fair amount of hand-waving, and has no bearing on the actual act of salvation. Ockham's Razor suggests it's not a good addition to the theory.

I'm OK with trads venerating Mary the way they do, but to us Protestants it seems rather unnecessary. "We do what we do because that's what we do" is a good enough reason, I guess.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's okay for a woman to not want to have sex with her husband. in that sense mary's perpetual virginity stands in contrast with the idea that a husband controls his wife's sexuality and is entitled to sex by virtue of being her husband

see i flipped the script, it's not the teaching it's how you choose to apply it.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Mr Enderby posted:

No Greek, but here is Aquinas quoting a bunch of Fathers in the Catena Aurea

http://dhspriory.org/thomas/english/CAMatthew.htm#1 posted:

Pseudo-Chrys.: “Took unto him” not took home to him; for he had not sent her away; he had put her away in thought only, and now took her again in thought.

Remigius: Or, Took her so far, as that the nuptial rites being complete, she was called his wife; but not so far as to lie with her, as it follows, “And knew her not.”

Jerome: Helvidius is at much superfluous trouble to make this word “know” refer to carnal knowledge rather than to acquaintance, as though any had ever denied that; or as if the follies to which he replies had ever occurred to any person of common understanding. He then goes on to say, that the adverb, ‘until,’ denotes a fixed time when that should take place, which had not taken place before; so that here from the words, “He knew her not until she had brought forth her first-born Son,” it is clear, he says, that after that he did know her. And in proof of this he heaps together many instances from Scripture.

To all this we answer, that the word ‘until’ is to be understood in two senses in Scripture. And concerning the expression, “knew her not,” he has himself shewn, that it must be referred to carnal knowledge, none doubting that it is often used of acquaintance, as in that, “The child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem, and His parents knew not of it.” [Luke 2:43]

In like manner, ‘until’ often denotes in Scripture, as he has shewn, a fixed period, but often also an infinite time, as in that, “Even to your old age I am He.” [Isa 46:4] Will God then cease to be when they are grown old? Also the Saviour in the Gospel, “Lo, I am with you always, even to the end of this world.” [Matt 28:20] Will He then leave His disciples at the end of the world? Again, the Apostle says, “He must reign till He has put His enemies under His feet.” [1 Cor 15:25]

Be it understood then, that which if it had not been written might have been [p. 58] doubted, is expressly declared to us; other things are left to our own understanding.

[ed. note: In other words, “till,” need not imply a termination at a certain point of time, but may be giving us information up to a point from which onwards there is already no doubt. Supposing an Evangelist thought the very notion shocking that Joseph should have considered the Blessed Virgin as his wife after he was a witness of her bearing God the Son, he would only say that the vision had its effect upon him up to that time when it was no longer necessary. Just as if, in speaking of a man like Augustine, one said, that, in consequence of some awful occurrence, he was in the habit of saying prayers till the time of his conversion, no one would suppose that he left them off on being converted.]

So here the Evangelist informs us, in that wherein there might have been room for error, that she was not known by her husband until the birth of her Son, that we might thence infer that much less was she known afterwards.

Pseudo-Chrys.: As one might say, ‘He told it not so long as he lived;’ would this imply that he told it after his death? Impossible. So it were credible that Joseph might have known her before the birth, while he was yet ignorant of the great mystery; but after that he understood how she had been made a temple of the Only-begotten of God, how could he occupy that? The followers of Eunomius think, as they have dared to assert this, that Joseph also dared to do it, just as the insane think all men equally mad with themselves.

Jerome: Lastly, I would ask, Why then did Joseph abstain at all up to the day of birth? He will surely answer, Because of the Angel’s words, “That which is born in her, &c.” He then who gave so much heed to a vision as not to dare to touch his wife, would he, after he had heard the shepherds, seen the Magi, and known so many miracles, dare to approach the temple of God, the seat of the Holy Ghost, the Mother of his Lord?

Pseudo-Chrys.: It may be said, that “know” here signifies simply, to understand; that whereas before he had not understood how great her dignity, after the birth he then “knew” that she had been made more honourable and worthy than the whole world, who had carried in her womb Him whom the whole world could not contain.

Gloss: Otherwise; On account of the glorification of the most holy Mary, she could not be known by Joseph until the birth; for she who had the Lord of glory in her womb, how should she be known? If the face of Moses talking with God was made glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look thereon, how much more could not Mary be known, or even looked upon, who bare the Lord of glory in her womb? After the birth she was known of Joseph to the beholding of her face, but not to be approached carnally.

Jerome: From the words, “her first-born Son,” some most erroneously suspect that Mary had other sons, saying that first-born can only be said of one that has brethren. But this is the manner of Scripture, to call the first-born not only one who is followed by brethren, but the first-birth of the mother.

Choice burn: "just as the insane think all men equally mad with themselves"

Senju Kannon posted:

it's okay for a woman to not want to have sex with her husband. in that sense mary's perpetual virginity stands in contrast with the idea that a husband controls his wife's sexuality and is entitled to sex by virtue of being her husband

see i flipped the script, it's not the teaching it's how you choose to apply it.

I think this is super important, and was revolutionary.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's also basically why nunneries, rather than being the locus of women's oppression, actually offered women a route to sexual and personal independence

really marriage has been worse for women than ordination or virginity, at least historically speaking

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I listened to Dale Martin's open classes on the New Testament and he offered that take as well. That in the roman world it was seen as revolutionary to control your sexuality and family living. That's why he claimed so many well off women and second sons of roman families converted.

Edit: These courses are a good listen https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL279CFA55C51E75E0

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Senju Kannon posted:

But in Judaism, marital sex is basically considered a service from the man to his wife.

Some Website posted:

Sex is the woman's right, not the man's. A man has a duty to give his wife sex regularly and to ensure that sex is pleasurable for her. He is also obligated to watch for signs that his wife wants sex, and to offer it to her without her asking for it. The woman's right to sexual intercourse is referred to as onah, and it is one of a wife's three basic rights (the others are food and clothing), which a husband may not reduce. The Talmud specifies both the quantity and quality of sex that a man must give his wife. It specifies the frequency of sexual obligation based on the husband's occupation, although this obligation can be modified in the ketubah (marriage contract). A man may not take a vow to abstain from sex for an extended period of time, and may not take a journey for an extended period of time, because that would deprive his wife of sexual relations. In addition, a husband's consistent refusal to engage in sexual relations is grounds for compelling a man to divorce his wife, even if the couple has already fulfilled the halakhic obligation to procreate.

At a quick look I found sources for this going back to the 12th century, so it's not unreasonable to assume that this was already the case in Jesus' time.

I guess it would be different for Roman women though.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Mr Enderby posted:

The Greek word in question is ἕως and it in no way implies that the event later came to pass: it's used both in situations when it did later happen and when it didn't, so it can just as easily be rendered as "before." Source: a grueling semester of graduate-level Greek composition.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Worthleast posted:

Gloss: Otherwise; On account of the glorification of the most holy Mary, she could not be known by Joseph until the birth; for she who had the Lord of glory in her womb, how should she be known? If the face of Moses talking with God was made glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look thereon, how much more could not Mary be known, or even looked upon, who bare the Lord of glory in her womb? After the birth she was known of Joseph to the beholding of her face, but not to be approached carnally.

... I don't like the implication here

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is "it's none of our business" an appropriate theological conclusion

like, that's His mom we're talking about here

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pidan posted:

But in Judaism, marital sex is basically considered a service from the man to his wife.

At a quick look I found sources for this going back to the 12th century, so it's not unreasonable to assume that this was already the case in Jesus' time.

I guess it would be different for Roman women though.

that wasn't a historical statement it was opposition to the idea that venerating a woman who didn't have sex in marriage is sexist

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

In this case, it being "the truth" is sketchy. The Bible does say that Joseph held off "until she had given birth," implying he didn't afterward. Why would they state it that way? It was no more ink to say Joseph left her alone forever, but the writers didn't phrase it that way. If Mary remaining perpetually a virgin were a real and important thing, the Gospel writers sure could have mentioned it.

There's also the issue of Jesus' brothers and sisters, mentioned a couple of times, and obviously James, specifically called the brother of Jesus. Getting around that requires some assumptions not in evidence, that Joseph was older and had children from a previous marriage.

Perpetual virginity adds complications and assumptions that require a fair amount of hand-waving, and has no bearing on the actual act of salvation. Ockham's Razor suggests it's not a good addition to the theory.

I'm OK with trads venerating Mary the way they do, but to us Protestants it seems rather unnecessary. "We do what we do because that's what we do" is a good enough reason, I guess.

"Ockham's Razor suggests it's not a good addition to the theory" implies that it's added; that the writers of the Gospel were thinking "okay, what's a good backstory for Our Lord? oh I know, how about a stable?" and all the early Christians that Worthleast quoted Aquinas quoting were adding to that. The Bible never explicitly says, "Jesus wasn't married," but I believe it to be both important doctrinally and factually true that Jesus did not have a wedding, did not have sex (marital or otherwise), and does not have a spouse other than the Church. The Bible does not have Joseph rebuking Jesus after finding him in the Temple, "How could you do this to your mother? You're her only child and she loves you!" but I believe it to be both important doctrinally and factually true that Mary had no other children. The Bible also never says, "Jesus is God from God, Light from Light, True God from True God, begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father"; if it did, Jehovah's Witnesses wouldn't insist that they had proof from the Bible that Jesus was really the Archangel Michael!

(As for "but what about brothers"; half-brothers and step-brothers are generally called "brothers", in modern American English, unless there's some particular need to clarify. Abraham called Lot his brother even though Lot was his nephew. Many cultures consider some cousins 'brothers', at least unless there's a particular need to clarify whose parents are whose. Jesus's brothers speak to him in a way that'd be extremely rude for younger brothers, and any children Mary had besides Jesus would necessarily be younger. Jesus tells Mary that John is now her son, as if there were not already sons to take care of her. James is never called the son of Mary.)

It's entirely possible that the author of the Gospel of Matthew didn't know whether or not Mary remained perpetually a virgin, or didn't consider it important.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is "it's none of our business" an appropriate theological conclusion

like, that's His mom we're talking about here

Catholics historically have tried to find every possible implication of every possible revealed statement; we don't really do "none of our business" except for "who, if anyone, is in Hell" and "who is in Heaven that we don't know about". :catholic:

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

zonohedron posted:

Catholics historically have tried to find every possible implication of every possible revealed statement; we don't really do "none of our business" except for "who, if anyone, is in Hell" and "who is in Heaven that we don't know about". :catholic:

This is also true of Catholic families, who will ceaselessly badger you about your personal life because once you get six or so people living under one small roof, the idea of "boundaries" starts to disappear.

In other news, the Church of England has apologized for its seminarians' use of liturgical Polari, so we will no longer be seeing Evensong services that refer to God as "the Duchess."

Bel_Canto fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 3, 2017

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The idea of women gaining independence through celibacy and virginity by Mary's example even comes up in The Life of the Virgin, attributed to St. Maximus the Confessor. This is the same book that says Mary was a primary source for the Gospels, was a constant companion and contributor to her Son's ministry, and had a leadership role in the early Church.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Here's one I don't understand; if God created man, then decided man should have someone to love, so God created women out of a rib, does that make men and women unequal? If women were only created to satisfy man?

It kinda goes with this virginity and sex talk. I personally believe God created all things equal. I am no less than the trees and the stars. And by that same logic I am as insignificant as a grain of sand, since we're equal.

I could see where someone could use that rib thing to justify inequality. Other major religions seem to treat women like poo poo (don't probate me please) though I am hardly educated on religions, so maybe I'm wrong? Enlighten me?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Here's one I don't understand; if God created man, then decided man should have someone to love, so God created women out of a rib, does that make men and women unequal? If women were only created to satisfy man?

It kinda goes with this virginity and sex talk. I personally believe God created all things equal. I am no less than the trees and the stars. And by that same logic I am as insignificant as a grain of sand, since we're equal.

I could see where someone could use that rib thing to justify inequality. Other major religions seem to treat women like poo poo (don't probate me please) though I am hardly educated on religions, so maybe I'm wrong? Enlighten me?

Yes, many denominations use that and other bits of the Bible to cast women as inferior or subservient to men. But like everything in Christianity there is a ton of variation.

You might ask HEY GAIL about how sex was perceived during the early modern. As far as I remember, the guys she studies considered there to be only one sex: male. Women were just imperfect males. But sex also wasn't an immutable concept, she linked me a wiki article about some person who started life as a woman, had kids, then became a man. Ain't no thing.

e: oh, and another fun anecdote, since women were imperfect men there had to be a male counterpart to women going through puberty and having their first period, when a boy had a nose bleed they interpreted that as him starting puberty :v:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

If humans were as insignificant to God as sand, Jesus wouldn't probably have died for them.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

In the first Genesis account, God creates man and woman at the same time. In the second, it's precisely because there's nothing equal to Adam that God creates Eve. The second account also doesn't have gender until there are two people; only then does the Hebrew start using gendered pronouns.

The notion of all things being created equal doesn't jive well with traditional Christianity either: we generally affirm that human beings are God's foremost creation, because we're the only part of creation specifically created in God's image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

PrinceRandom posted:

I listened to Dale Martin's open classes on the New Testament and he offered that take as well. That in the roman world it was seen as revolutionary to control your sexuality and family living. That's why he claimed so many well off women and second sons of roman families converted.

Edit: These courses are a good listen https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL279CFA55C51E75E0

This is an excellent resource and if people care to I'd love to get pointed in the direction of more material like this.

• Locked thread