Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The pay will suck as a junior but get better at your next job. I doubled my salary by going from my first to second job. If you have good experience and interviewing skills you can also probably get closer to or above 100k as a midlevel developer at places like Amazon, Shopify, Wattpad, Pagerduty, and I think the Scotiabank Digital Foundry pays well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING
I started at $60k last year in TO and 55-60 seemed to be the norm in the city.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

In light of Pollyanna's company's aggressive language in its job listings, I figured I'd post like snippets when I come across them:

quote:

The moxie to stand up for what you believe, and ability to argue your opinions succinctly without resorting to excessively verbose and drawn out paragraphs where a simple few words would have sufficed but you can’t help but keep typing even though you should have stopped at least two lines ago

:staredog:

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Is that the new PC way of saying "Spergs need not apply"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ddiddles posted:

Is that the new PC way of saying "Spergs need not apply"

That reads to me more like "we'll tell you to shut up if you say something we don't like."

Orkiec
Dec 28, 2008

My gut, huh?

piratepilates posted:

The pay will suck as a junior but get better at your next job. I doubled my salary by going from my first to second job. If you have good experience and interviewing skills you can also probably get closer to or above 100k as a midlevel developer at places like Amazon, Shopify, Wattpad, Pagerduty, and I think the Scotiabank Digital Foundry pays well.

Amazon now pays above 100k for entry level developers in Canada.

Iverron posted:

In light of Pollyanna's company's aggressive language in its job listings, I figured I'd post like snippets when I come across them:

/r/recruitinghell is always a great place to look for garbage

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Iverron posted:

My first thought when I see this stuff is, "that has to be a joke, right? They couldn't be this oblivious."

My second thought is always, "Oh, right, of course they're seroius. :sigh:"

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Iverron posted:

The moxie to stand up for what you believe, and ability to argue your opinions succinctly without resorting to excessively verbose and drawn out paragraphs where a simple few words would have sufficed but you can’t help but keep typing even though you should have stopped at least two lines ago

gotta be a joke. 'Ability to be concise'

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

JawKnee posted:

yeah it's too good to not be ironic

but you never know

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Yes, that's precisely what I meant. But I'm so cynical when it comes to how people in management and HR think.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Che Delilas posted:

Yes, that's precisely what I meant. But I'm so cynical when it comes to how people in management and HR think.

Let's be honest here. It's best to approach HR and management with a thoroughly absurd amount of cynicism and walk it back only when proven wrong.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

JawKnee posted:

Most of these are along the lines of the following taken from another listing:

quote:

If X is not something you have heard of, this is probably not the job for you.
If you have never tried to do Y anywhere then you’re gonna have a bad time at this job.
If you have ever done Z then someone should take away your computer.

This isn't helpful or useful, it's just a red flag that you're probably a bunch of assholes to work with.

Keep the cute stuff and the hostile stuff to a minimum.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Iverron posted:

Most of these are along the lines of the following taken from another listing:

This isn't helpful or useful, it's just a red flag that you're probably a bunch of assholes to work with.

Keep the cute stuff and the hostile stuff to a minimum.

No they're very useful and should stay in so people can avoid wasting time applying.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I think the one I hate the most is when one of the qualifications for a job is:

You're in love with the F12 button or
You're obsessed with the console log.

stfu

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You've seen those written verbatim in a job ad or are you making a joke that I missed?

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

Orkiec posted:

Amazon now pays above 100k for entry level developers in Canada.

What is even considered to be an entry level position at Amazon? Is it Software Developer Engineer? I don't see any postings saying junior or entry level, and the SDE I positions are all asking for 2-4 years of experience programming.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Ornithology posted:

What is even considered to be an entry level position at Amazon? Is it Software Developer Engineer? I don't see any postings saying junior or entry level, and the SDE I positions are all asking for 2-4 years of experience programming.

Years of experience is relatively meaningless in software development.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Sarcophallus posted:

"No Experience" vs. "Some Experience" is very meaningful. It's less about "can you code" and more about "can you code with other people"

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Holy smokes I just got nailed on the technical portion of an interview.

I guess trying to substitute "Profiency with C req'd; experience with Python preferred" with "Proficiency with Python; some experience with C" doesn't exactly work. :flame:

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 31, 2017

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Smugworth posted:

I guess trying to substitute "Profiency with C req'd; experience with Python preferred" with "Proficiency with Python; some experience with C" doesn't exactly work. :flame:

Win some, lose some, sucks though, sorry dude.

Any especially memorable questions?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Smugworth posted:

Ehh, i think it was a good thing to try...it just didnt work in this particular instance.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

TheCog posted:

Win some, lose some, sucks though, sorry dude.

Any especially memorable questions?

It was for a position which required systems, concurrency, and networking background, and I'll be a new grad in May, so there were some softballs.

Lots of probing questions to test my knowledge of different domain concepts.
TCP vs. UDP, what are mutexes and semaphores, why would you pin MPI processes... The latter really got me, because I knew you should, but didn't know why, and I couldn't derive the answer after he tried to lead me to it, best I could do was explain what I knew about memory architecture and the costs of accessing different levels of memory.

I guess the one that stood out was "Can you explain an directed acyclic graph, and what might it be used for?"
So I said.. Well, it's a graph without cycles, in which the edges have just one direction... And the only use case I could readily come up with was a BST, which wasn't what the interviewer was looking for, I suspect. I googled use cases, and one of the first things that came up was for checking for deadlocks in a multithreaded system. Hadn't ever done that. Nuts.

Unfortunately, when I was asked to identify the flaws in a snippet of a simple C function, I really just floundered and I think the interviewer cut things short after enough stumbling on my part. It was definitely good experience because I haven't had an especially challenging technical interview at this point.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Smugworth posted:

I guess the one that stood out was "Can you explain an directed acyclic graph, and what might it be used for?"
So I said.. Well, it's a graph without cycles, in which the edges have just one direction... And the only use case I could readily come up with was a BST, which wasn't what the interviewer was looking for, I suspect. I googled use cases, and one of the first things that came up was for checking for deadlocks in a multithreaded system. Hadn't ever done that. Nuts.
Out of curiosity, what's your undergrad degree?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What is "systems" in this case?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Out of curiosity, what's your undergrad degree?
Just finishing my BS CS

Pollyanna posted:

What is "systems" in this case?

I suppose this would be operating system level programming for distributed systems, in the high performance computing domain.

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 1, 2017

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
Speaking of "systems programming", is there a good high level overview of OSs and/or distributed systems? I have an interview next week where I know high-level questions about both of these will be asked, in addition to stuff about compilers and parsing. I'm great on the latter stuff but not so much on OSs or distributed systems. I know questions about process scheduling will be asked which I spent about a week on in Systems Programming course. I know some AWS related buzzwords and faintly remember low-level C stuff, but that's about it

Smugworth posted:

DAGs have a LOT of applications, another big one is dependency graphs.
The questions you got asked are pretty typical of most of the well-paying jobs in tech hubs I've applied at. It sounds like you had a solid CS education, though, so you'll be fine in terms of raw knowledge.

bomblol fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 1, 2017

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

I currently work as a "Systems Analyst" for a department in a University which means I do anything that needs done in IT from fixing printers to administering Windows servers to web dev. I'm working on finding a new job as a full time web developer and am making a portfolio site. I've made a few websites for work that I obviously can't post the code for. What's the best way to put it onto my portfolio? Are screenshots fair use? Is describing what stack I used and what the sites do good enough?

I'm working on some side projects at the moment but I've gotten a few recruiters interested so I'd like to get them something quickly, I'm just not sure the best way of going about it.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Maed posted:

Is describing what stack I used and what the sites do good enough?

I usually do just that. A (very) short description of what the sit was for, the technologies used, any sound-good metrics (e.g. serves 1000 users an hour, handles $1 million in transactions per month, etc.), and possibly the URL, even though most of the functionality is behind a login. When I've hired before, I was really looking to get an understanding of how sophisticated the site was i.e., it isn't a sloppy intranet site with 3 users.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Sarcophallus posted:

What is this supposed to mean? You think a fresh grad is, on average, as good as someone with 10 years on the record? That sounds like a serious case of "inverse imposter syndrome".

Or do you mean experience is meaningless when applying to jobs? I don't think that's true either.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pilsner posted:

What is this supposed to mean? You think a fresh grad is, on average, as good as someone with 10 years on the record? That sounds like a serious case of "inverse imposter syndrome".

Or do you mean experience is meaningless when applying to jobs? I don't think that's true either.

Experience matters when talking about skilled developers, but it is not a great predictor of ability because there are plenty of unskilled developers with lots of experience.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Pilsner posted:

He said "years of experience" don't matter.

Actual experience matters. There are plenty of garbage developers who've done nothing but CRUD applications for 20 years who aren't going to be appreciably better than new grads

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Jose Valasquez posted:

He said "years of experience" don't matter.

Actual experience matters. There are plenty of garbage developers who've done nothing but CRUD applications for 20 years who aren't going to be appreciably better than new grads

There are also plenty of new grads who aren't going to be appreciably better than some self-taught hacker.

Unless something has changed in the past few years, I believe "How the hell do you identify good developers without just asking them to work for a few weeks" is a largely unsolved problem? Education, work history, references, it all adds up to "wait a few weeks to suddenly realize they don't know their rear end from a keyboard". Which kind of sucks for everyone.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

Cuntpunch posted:

There are also plenty of new grads who aren't going to be appreciably better than some self-taught hacker.

Unless something has changed in the past few years, I believe "How the hell do you identify good developers without just asking them to work for a few weeks" is a largely unsolved problem? Education, work history, references, it all adds up to "wait a few weeks to suddenly realize they don't know their rear end from a keyboard". Which kind of sucks for everyone.

I would argue that this is the case with many problem-solving/creative jobs. It's just much more obvious when a programmer of any sort doesn't do his/her job well enough.

Orkiec
Dec 28, 2008

My gut, huh?

Ornithology posted:

By entry level, I mean SDE 1, and like everyone else is saying, the requirements on a job posting are more of a wish list then they are hard requirements.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Pilsner posted:

I'm certain some fresh grads are far better than many people with 10 years of experience, but that's not the typical case. What I'm saying - and this is unfortunately not obvious to many recruiters - is that years of experience are a very bad predictor for programming skill. I've interviewed people who have been self-taught for about 4 months and seen them do better on the code exercises we do than some of the folks who I've worked with.

It's not to say that years of experience are useless. People fresh out of school are going to be missing out on a lot of the programming 'gotchas', and that has value. Just that if I'm going to look at some new hire, years of experience will be one of the last tiebreakers in determining who to hire. Hence, 'relatively meaningless'.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I've found that new coders never understand the importance of all the maintenance issues of programming, like commenting and proper commit messages and such.

People who haven't suffered the pain of maintaining a legacy system always think that their program is self-documenting. And they're always so resistant to doing "that useless stuff" that isn't raw computer science.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Also, from the other side when you're looking for a job, don't pay a lot of attention to the "required" years of experience in a listing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There is nothing worse than someone with "10 years of 1 year of experience"

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The difference between the people who take time to learn new things and the ones who don't can't be measured in years, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

lifg posted:

I've found that new coders never understand the importance of all the maintenance issues of programming, like commenting and proper commit messages and such.

People who haven't suffered the pain of maintaining a legacy system always think that their program is self-documenting. And they're always so resistant to doing "that useless stuff" that isn't raw computer science.
If anything I think new coders are more gung-ho about comments and commits and trying to do things the right way than the jaded guys who have been working on the same application for 10 years.