Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

Let's check on Humility...

or not.

Whoa! :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

XK posted:

Now they're using paarp. lol

Let's see how legitimate news site pixelemonade is doing, who just happened to post an article preaching the greatness of SC a month ago, while all their other articles were stolen from an Australian news site.

http://www.pixelemonade.com/

Not even going to bother to screenshot it. Their last posted article is Jan 21, and all of their articles still look like stolen content.

:laffo:

Domain registered January 2nd, SC fluff piece was 8th. How loving hamfisted do they need to be, really

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

A better space sim than Star Citizen

K can we kickstart this

I'm half joking

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
The quality and turnover of thread titles has really improved under our new mod overlords

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The old mod would have changed them more but the character limit kept him from being able to quote himself.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I forgot that SimTower was a game I wanted. Now I want it again.

Project Highrise is cool, you should check it out.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

Yeah. I think the downward slide started after I wrote [url= http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/05/star-citizen-the-inn-conspiracy/]an entire blog[/url] about their shilling. In fact, that was the first official "outing" (not be confused with doxxing!) of Jake DiMare.

You forgot about the Elite games? Also, what about Echelon?

I remember Echelon from the Commodore era. It was so big, and I recall areas that the screen would freeze for several seconds before drawing a new frame. I never got too far, but I think I found a few cool story bits.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SelenicMartian posted:

There were many of those designs back in the WW1 days. There weren't may trainer planes then, apart from the Jenny aka the only useful American plane of the early XX century.

Looks like preliminary B-52s to me, nearly flight ready. I hope they make furniture out of those.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Tippis posted:

Might have been from that period when the Luftwaffe was just a “flying enthusiast club” — I'm sure they just had some totally unaffiliated rich benefactor that arranged these fun club days when the boys only goofed off a bit. Nothing that contravenes the Versailles treaty, surely.

It was a glider club...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
RSI Forums: CIG accused of stealing stock image, got me thinking. Can we offer art?

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Raskolnikov posted:

Let's check on Humility...

or not.

he seen some Canadians coming his way

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Wait! wat!?! Take that back!!

What kind of bullshit collection is this? I don't see the Wing Commander blu ray or the DVDs of the cartoon anywhere.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Hey let's see what the thread's been up to

:gonk:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Is that a roller coaster with a machine gun? jfc that's awesome

I see your Nazi Sidecar Adventure and raise you one Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

lol, clearly a sign that those mighty 142 millions can surely deliver all the promised content including textures and the SC MMO part. Oh wait.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 3, 2017

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

cool new Polack jokes posted:

The things that don't come to mind in imagining this giant loving game are taxes, insurance, law courts, and a player-responsive economy that I'm sure nobody will intentionally crash.

That's something that always makes me laugh when the shillizens start fapping on how CIG will make "goon style playing" impossible when goons inevitably come crawling back. They're going to ban piracy I imagine? But anyway... if everything were as interconnected as they dream goons could gently caress the Verse good and proper just by loving up the economy. I'm sure we could come up with perfectly legal/legitimate ways to manipulate the market that not even Ortwin could predict.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

biglads posted:

Tau Ceti was awesome back in the day. How they managed to fit it on those 8-bit machines is still incredible.

Crobz was doing stuff around then. He was porting Match Day by Jon Ritman from the Spectrum to the BBC Micro and was making Donkey Kong copies when David Braben & Ian Bell had released Elite. Forefather my rear end.

I have fonder memories of BBC txt games back in the day like Major Mud more than the lovely mocap bullshit The Crobbs did.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Domain registered January 2nd, SC fluff piece was 8th. How loving hamfisted do they need to be, really

These guys have nothing but (well deserved) contempt for their backers.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

This loving rules

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Best post I ever read by you. :smugdog:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Ah, those "Jane´s". Particularly fond of the 688 nuke submarine sim. I remember playing it head to head via modem with a friend and dancing the cat and mouse. Crazy Ivan´s and all. Nerve racking!

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

This loving rules

quote:

What has been suggested before as well is CIG should cut deals with major business's for advertising purposes or rather let companies pay CIG to have their logo used in the game for advertising.

Think, your flying along to land at ArcCorp and you pass a future version of the golden arches. Your walking to the shopping district and you see a Cabelas. Of course they would be future versions and everything about them would be game based and not relate directly to our present time but it gets out name recognition and cuts down on the number of unique logos and designs CIG has to make.

The watermark was actually the stock image site paying CIG to put their stuff in the game as an ad.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
123rf tapping into the lucrative turbonerd market, a good plan

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/JaRLWsu.gifv

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
What better people to advertise to as a company that sells jpegs than Star Citizens? It's the perfect plan

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The self-proclaimed marketer who runs that site is totally starting his own news source. He's absolutely not being paid by CIG to place shining articles about SC. The stolen news content is only place holder stuff. They're going to have real content soon.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Wizard Master posted:

Who cares about some dumb computer game thread..... I have no life!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

What better people to advertise to as a company that sells jpegs than Star Citizens? It's the perfect plan

When you put in that perspective it's genius.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Please stop stalking this thread if you don't enjoy it, it's rather creepy.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

peter gabriel posted:

can we get a 2.6 video soon? : (

I need a quick pgabz tutorial before I start cruisin the 'ese

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

If they have space ship jpegs people can buy, 123rf may soon be made unavailable by the throngs of Star Citizens going to buy them all en force after the discovery. :ohdear:

And if they don't, they can just take (not steal) stuff from CIG and sell it because it's ok so long as there's no takedown notice or something. It's all fair according to CIG!

Good luck, 123rf!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Please stop stalking this thread if you don't enjoy it, it's rather creepy.

It's the 'yad lads that want the thread closed. I just want Derek permaed because he's a piece of poo poo.

tax

big nipples big life fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 3, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lmao apparently they ripped something from EVE for their art too. I didn't even notice it but the thread on the EVE subreddit is cool and good

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/5qkci4/eve_online_nebula_used_in_star_citizen_concept_art/

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

It's the 'yad lads that want the thread closed. I just want Derek permaed because he's a piece of poo poo.

Making as much progress as Star Citizen so keep doing what you're doing I guess :shrug:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Making as much progress as Star Citizen so keep doing what you're doing I guess :shrug:

I'm trying to time it so it happens simultaneously with the 100% guaranteed to cause legal action blog.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

tax

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MilesK posted:

What kind of bullshit collection is this? I don't see the Wing Commander blu ray or the DVDs of the cartoon anywhere.

That's one image from my old game room (from the old house back in 2008) which didn't even contain 5% of my full (it's all in a/c storage now) library. It's the only image I could find with Echelon (lower right) in it.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

lmao apparently they ripped something from EVE for their art too. I didn't even notice it but the thread on the EVE subreddit is cool and good

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/5qkci4/eve_online_nebula_used_in_star_citizen_concept_art/

Yep, the spergs like to go there and attempt to shill and defend all the time but those guys are having none of it. The Mittani is strong as gently caress there.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

I'm going to archer my post from FDev forums to put “his” inventing the genre into perspective…

I was terminally bored, decided to take that quote very literally, and went out to see what kind of space sims were available before WC came out. :D

1980s(ish) first-person space games:

Star Raiders (1979) — Atari 2600/5600/8-bit, Atari ST
Cyber Strike (1980) – Apple II
Cylon Attack (1982) – BBC Micro, ZX Spectrum
Star Trek: Strategic Ops (1982) — Apple II, Arcade, Atari 2600/5200/8-bit, ColecoVision, C64, VIC-20
Star Voyager (1982) — Atari 2600
3D Starstrike (1984) — Amstrad, ZX Spectrum
Skyfox (1984) — Amiga, Amstrad, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, Mac, PC-88, ZX Spectrum
Star Trader (1984) — C64, ZX Spectrum
Star Luster (1985) — Arcade, NES
Tau Ceti (1985) — Amstrad, Atari ST, C64, Dos, ZX Spectrum
Total Eclipse (1985) — Dragon 32/64
Space School Simulator (1986) — Amiga, Amstrad, Atari ST, DOS, ZX Spectrum
Starglider (1986) — Amiga, Amstrad, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, DOS, Mac, ZX Spectrum
Starstrike II (1986) — Amstrad, ZX Spectrum
Star Raiders II (1986) — Amstrad, Atari 8-bit, C64, ZX Spectrum
Rubicon Alliance (1987) — Amstrad, C64, ZX Spectrum
Skyfox II (1987) — Amiga, Atari ST, C64, DOS
Star Voyageer (1987) — NES
Starglider II (1988) — Amiga, Atari ST, DOS, Mac, PC-98, ZX Spectrum
Space Rogue (1989) — Amiga, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, DOS, Mac, PC-98
Lightspeed (1990) — DOS

1980s(ish) non-FP space sims:

Invasion Orion (1979) — Apple II, Atari, PET/CBM, Trash-80
Project: Space Station (1985) — Apple II, C64, DOS
Starflight (1986) — Amiga, Atari ST, C64, DOS, Genesis, Mac
Starflight 2 (1989) — Amiga, DOS, Mac

…oh, and there was some weirdo obscure vector-graphics space game from 1984 too, but it probably isn’t worth mentioning.

All those space games and no Universe? What a shame, Omnitrends' weird first try at space sims from 1983 deserves to be on your list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

D_Smart posted:

That's one image from my old game room (from the old house back in 2008) which didn't even contain 5% of my full (it's all in a/c storage now) library. It's the only image I could find with Echelon (lower right) in it.

Is that the now infamous foreclosed house the spergs discovered?