Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

bawfuls posted:

N:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/827317375590604802

V: I am not sure that the anger this will cause among Giants fans is worth the disappointment of taking on yet another washed up Giant. Think I'd prefer Blanton.

Why be angry? He can steal y'alls money for 3 years like Uribe did. Still A Good Giant :D

Poaching each other's players and/or guys signing with the opposite team late in their career out of spite/to prove they're not washed up yet is part of what makes this whole thing fun and is a tradition almost as old as the rivalry itself. Marichal became a Dodger. Duke Snider became a Giant. [Though Jackie Robinson actually retired a couple years early rather than sign with the Giants.]

Besides, Romo grew up down there, and it's hard to be too mad at a guy wanting to wrap up a career on his childhood team if he gets the chance.

[Also since the Dodgers still have Jansen there will be ZERO temptation to use Romo A) heavily B) in the 9th so he might actually work out down there, to my chagrin. His slider is all he has but it's a darn good one when he's healthy.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The only thing I'm going to say is that if you're going to become a Dodger fan in 2017, you're going to become a Dodger fan the year after Vin retired. That takes a lot of enjoyment out of the game.

But if you also live in Seattle so you don't have to experience Dodger Stadium traffic ever. At least you have that.

bawfuls posted:

V: I am not sure that the anger this will cause among Giants fans is worth the disappointment of taking on yet another washed up Giant. Think I'd prefer Blanton.

Everybody was furious at the entire bullpen save Derek Law, so nobody's going to be mad. It makes sense for Romo. His family are Dodger fans. He did a car commercial with his Dad in the background constantly trying to get him to go play for the Dodgers. ("Are you SURE you don't want to play for LA?" "You could have TWO of these if you played for LA.")

The only way to make Giants fans mad about Romo is if he went to the Cardinals and inhaled the Magic Pitcher Dust and began missing left side hitters again.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 3, 2017

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

love you, Milb

https://twitter.com/FrederickKeys/status/827238320367337473

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

N:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/827317375590604802

He wasn't that bad though? Also as far as I can tell he was the only Giant in the pen to not blow a save last year, so that's something! He did only pitch 30 innings I guess.

That said I'm all for the Dodgers resigning Blanton so he can hang more sliders right over the plate to Cubs hitters :getin:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Romo is going to join hallowed former Giants turned Dodgers like Brian Wilson and Jason Schmidt.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Joe Maddon dies a little inside as the Phils sign Chris Goghlan to a minor league deal.

Woo. :effort:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mentholmoose posted:

Joe Maddon dies a little inside as the Phils sign Chris Goghlan to a minor league deal.

Don't worry, half-way through the season one of the Cubs lefty bats will slump for five minutes and they'll immediately trade the Phils a top prospect to get him back.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Blanton was pretty clearly better than Romo last year but they both have the ability to hang one and get crushed at any moment.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
A minor league deal? He was pretty solid after coming back over to the Cubs despite being a trash fire in Oakland. Figured he would have picked up 4th outfield spot at least.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

mentholmoose posted:

God, I hope it sticks this time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I doubt he gets multiple years at this point, so he's gonna probably have to take a 1 year deal.

Honestly, at this point Hammel's best hope might be a minor-league contract with a spring training invitation.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
https://twitter.com/YasielPuig/status/827328352033742849

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
#puigyourfather

Happy for Yasiel. He's a great talent who needs to just focus his poo poo, maybe having a kid will help him calm down.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Free Puig. He is a prisoner in the Chavez Ravine gulag.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

#puigyourfather

Happy for Yasiel. He's a great talent who needs to just focus his poo poo, maybe having a kid will help him calm down.
It's his second son, his oldest is about 3 I think.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

It's his second son, his oldest is about 3 I think.

Then get your poo poo together Yasiel. I don't want you wasting all that natural talent because you're a brain case.

(Yes you are a pipeline to Yasiel Puig in my mind)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Then get your poo poo together Yasiel. I don't want you wasting all that natural talent because you're a brain case.

It's like going to a foreign country and they ask you if you know Michael Jordan.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/VICESports/status/827517314480357377

The Yankees, are bad.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Sydin posted:

Don't worry, half-way through the season one of the Cubs lefty bats will slump for five minutes and they'll immediately trade the Phils a top prospect to get him back.

Most of the AAA roster is position blocked for the next half decade and it gave us cool moments like the no-look double and the Where In The World Is Tommy La Stella home game so I welcome Cogs coming back in July for... let's say Jacob Hannemann.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

This does not make the Cubs blameless in any way but :wtc: would it be so hard to say "We think he expressed sincere regrets for his actions"?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I clicked through for the full quote, it's still pretty tone deaf but slightly better I guess?

quote:

"Quite frankly it was manageable the minute he got here last year,'' Steinbrenner said at the quarterly owners' meetings Thursday. "He was great. Look, he admitted he messed up. He paid the penalty. Sooner or later, we forget, right? That's the way we're supposed to be in life. He did everything right, and said everything right, when he was with us.''

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hal later cleared it up by saying he meant forgive and forget, for whatever that's worth. Makes more sense in that context. Still a shithead comment though

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

Hal later cleared it up by saying he meant forgive and forget, for whatever that's worth. Makes more sense in that context. Still a shithead comment though

Hal is a shithead so it makes sense.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

ho-lee poo poo

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

I miss Andrew Miller.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

This is almost certainly the greatest compliment I've ever gotten from a Giants fan :glomp:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/morsecode/status/827563931484962818

lol

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't get what the Twins are doing. :confused:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rand alPaul posted:

I don't get what the Twins are doing. :confused:

They're adding a reliever (which they desperately need) and DFA-ing someone they can afford to lose, a 29-year old prospect at a position they have a logjam at that's owed several million more dollars. If he's claimed they're off the hook for the money owed. If he's not claimed, nothing with him changes because he was going to start in the minors this year anyways.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

They're adding a reliever (which they desperately need) and DFA-ing someone they can afford to lose, a 29-year old prospect at a position they have a logjam at that's owed several million more dollars. If he's claimed they're off the hook for the money owed. If he's not claimed, nothing with him changes because he was going to start in the minors this year anyways.

Here's your ray of Byung Ho Sunshine

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dont-quit-on-byung-ho-park/

I still don't get what they're doing since they really really need pitching and this is only a half a step in the right direction. At least the outfield got some good projections.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Popete posted:

Sort of outside the realm of regular baseball books but can anyone here recommend any good reads on the mental game of playing baseball? I've been curious about the theory behind having a strong mental approach towards playing and theory/practical applications to improve an often overlooked element.

I realize there are probably a lot of bad "The Secret" level books out there regarding this subject so any guidance on well respected authors or books is appreciated.

I read The Mental ABC's of Pitching, the book Roy Halladay swore by, when I was pitching regularly, and I think it helped some.

I also just finished The Universal Baseball Association, Inc. a while back, Is it just me, or did it have way too much loving for a book about a guy playing Strat-O-Matic in his kitchen?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

tinstaach posted:

I also just finished The Universal Baseball Association, Inc. a while back, Is it just me, or did it have way too much loving for a book about a guy playing Strat-O-Matic in his kitchen?
I also just finished it, and I really didn't like it. I powered through, but the twist at the end was just meh. Also J. Henry Waugh = Jehovah is a little on the nose, innit?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Oh I never even put that together, haha. But I did identify with playing a game so much that I don't care about missing work and getting fired. Endless Legend :argh:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
N:
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/827687326927106048

V: We'll always have 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQMXvMS42cI

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

One last El Mechon for you Sergio. You'll always be a Giant :unsmith:

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

No he will not. He is now a Dodger.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'll always remember Romo for aiding in one of the biggest playoff meltdowns of all time. :allears:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'll always remember Romo for aiding in one of the biggest playoff meltdowns of all time. :allears:

I forgot where I was for a minute and was about to be all :argh: about using your quarterback to hold for kicks here.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

For you, it was a shocking event.
For people who watched the Giants all season, it was This poo poo Once Again.

Later, Romo. They don't have a mascot in LA so your photobombs and Special Event Day outfits are necessary to bring joy into their soulless lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
My dad met Sergio Romo two months ago and he told him he'd only play for the Dodgers if they were the only team that wanted him.

I'm kind of shocked he wasn't snagged sooner, he's still a good bullpen arm in this market of bullpen fetishism.

• Locked thread