Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm not sure 'language evolves' is a uniquely leftist, modern leftist, or even a political phenomenon

Sounds like Stroop is mad that he can't call people "moon crickets" or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Sounds like Stroop is mad that he can't call people "moon crickets" or something

uh i kinda feel like you're kind of helping their argument about people being demonized for quibbling over terminology

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

You guys are missing the point. Saying this is a problem on the left doesn't mean it isn't also a problem on the right. Of course it is, but I don't give a poo poo about making the right a more effective and inclusive movement, I care about what we do. It's also not about whether accepted terminology changes--of course it does, and those changes are even more rapid now because of the internet. What it is about is in-group vs. out-group dynamics, and how willing we are to attack people and label them in extreme ways based on very little evidence, and without giving them any opportunity to redeem themselves for a) doing actual bad poo poo or b) perceived slights. The fact that the internet basically preserves everything you've ever said contributes to this, because when you look at a post from 10 years ago, it is presented in exactly the same way a post you made today does, so people treat it like you said it yesterday.

BarbarianElephant posted:

I used the wrong word for trans people or something a while back and people yelled at me and I corrected my post and everyone was nice. No big deal. People who go nuts whenever they are corrected about the smallest thing should learn humility.
I'm glad that went well for you, and I have hope that plenty of the community isn't like this. But I've seen plenty of instances where someone is branded as transphobic forever because they used "transgendered" or "transsexual" (which used to be much more common, and accepted, terms) or said something unintentionally somewhat offensive, and even if they apologize and demonstrate with their words and actions that they are not transphobic, they're constantly shouted down. I don't think this problem is universal across the left, but a particularly loud minority of people do behave this way.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Well, poo poo, you caught me.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Stroop There It Is posted:

You guys are missing the point. Saying this is a problem on the left doesn't mean it isn't also a problem on the right. Of course it is, but I don't give a poo poo about making the right a more effective and inclusive movement, I care about what we do. It's also not about whether accepted terminology changes--of course it does, and those changes are even more rapid now because of the internet. What it is about is in-group vs. out-group dynamics, and how willing we are to attack people and label them in extreme ways based on very little evidence, and without giving them any opportunity to redeem themselves for a) doing actual bad poo poo or b) perceived slights. The fact that the internet basically preserves everything you've ever said contributes to this, because when you look at a post from 10 years ago, it is presented in exactly the same way a post you made today does, so people treat it like you said it yesterday.

I'm glad that went well for you, and I have hope that plenty of the community isn't like this. But I've seen plenty of instances where someone is branded as transphobic forever because they used "transgendered" or "transsexual" (which used to be much more common, and accepted, terms) or said something unintentionally somewhat offensive, and even if they apologize and demonstrate with their words and actions that they are not transphobic, they're constantly shouted down. I don't think this problem is universal across the left, but a particularly loud minority of people do behave this way.

Well, poo poo, you caught me.

Yeah man it's like some folks are just assholes regardless of what tribe they belong to. :iiam:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

this is the best cartoon posted in any incarnation of these threads

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think the key difference between "slacktivism" (or whatever) and "virtue signaling," at least as used by assholes, is that "slacktivism" is about talking a good game but not actually putting your money where your mouth is.

"Virtue signaling," when used by shitbags like Garrison, is "the only reason to care about anything that does not immediately and directly impact you is to make other people think better of you," because these people are self-centered sociopaths.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

"Heilboy"

AGC. Fun exercise: Imagine how McCoy would draw him if Milo Y were a liberal.

What, me Ramirez?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Donald Trump at the National Prayer Breakfast – The US president defends his unpredictable approach to foreign policy during a speech in Washington"

Telegraph:

Brexit: fifth of Labour MPs defy three line whip to vote against article 50 bill; Beyonce pregnant: Couple 'blessed' to be having twins

Independent:

Brexit white paper spells out need for new immigration laws

Times:

Dame Vera Lynn breaks own record with new album at 100

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Boy are these guys backwards or what

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Sandpuppy posted:

AGC. Fun exercise: Imagine how McCoy would draw him if Milo Y were a liberal.

You don't beat fascists with debate, you beat them with chairs. AGC.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Sandpuppy posted:

"Heilboy"

I'm torn between the fact that this is a quality pun and a complete misunderstanding of everything Hellboy stands for, i.e. punching Nazis.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Like McKee, McCoy should be punched in the face too.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stroop There It Is posted:

I am fine with "performative bullshit" and "slacktivism" as alternate terms, but they refer to the exact same phenomenon as "virtue signalling". I'm not down with suggesting that everyone who uses that term instead of the others is a Nazi shithead because there is nothing inherently lovely about that phrase, even if it's the phrase of choice for alt-right assholes who expand its meaning. It's fine if y'all prefer other terms, but while someone using terms preferred by shitheads makes me a bit cautious, I'm not going to dismiss someone entirely just because of that if there's nothing objectionable in the phrase itself.

What would an "inherently lovely" phrase even be? Like, are you subscribing to a pre-Saussurean linguistics whereby words have meaning based on their acoustic properties?

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like how even the right-leaning editorial cartoonists in the United Kingdom have decided to depict Theresa May as a ghoul. (It's probably because they're misogynists, right?)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Bill Day of all people drawing recognizable caricatures and not using a single label :wth:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Edible Hat posted:

I like how even the right-leaning editorial cartoonists in the United Kingdom have decided to depict Theresa May as a ghoul. (It's probably because they're misogynists, right?)

I'm pretty sure it's because she in fact survives only on rotting human flesh.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Wheany posted:

Bill Day of all people drawing recognizable caricatures and not using a single label :wth:

It's a very clever metaphor, too.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Extra bonus toon!

https://twitter.com/mrbiffo/status/827598777099882496

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Yeah, it's recognizable, a good metaphor; it's AGC all right, buuut...

:perfect:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

A cartoon and story that this thread prepared us well for. Glad that someone's not letting Australia get away with looking like the protagonist in this.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Get bent, Payne. Betsy DeVos has bought all the Republicans on the Education Committee -- how else do you think she got through to the full Senate after her horrendous performance? She's not even shy about the fact that she buys influence.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

32 Republicans voted for Merrick Garland in 1997, including seven who were still in the senate as of last year.

Here’s How Much Betsy DeVos And Her Family Paid To Back GOP Senators Who Will Support Her

(But credit where it's due to Lisa Murkowski, who's a no on DeVos despite receiving $43,200 from DeVos' family.)

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

It's funny because it's no different than a Mallard cartoon.

Strawman in a white void. He's done this countless times in his regular comic.

That's what I was thinking. I love it because you just know in his head that people whould be amazed at this "CLASSIC TINSLEY" but it has the exact same style and message of his usual crap.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hah, I was just thinking about doing this edit.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sigh... i am cool and calm about this

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

I'd like to remember how immature and violent our ancestors were when they forced the Nazis to change their policies using tanks and guns, no debate at all.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
And yeah, The Left IS being super rude with the allotted time Milo usually calmly and cooly gives them to respond

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Bill Leak:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

More Quebec toons about the shooting.

Vigils 24/7 will set things straight

That's the mayor of Quebec City (on the right, if that helps). There's been talk that trash radio is to partly blame for anti-Muslim sentiment.

"Trash radio the day after the shooting"

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

A new take on the PC vs. Mac war.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Change it from "jews" to "non-whites and transgendereds" and you wouldn't need the moustache

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

After The War posted:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine posting YouveGotSomeGrowingUpToDoHitler.jpg over and over, page after page, forever.

:smith:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Ben took his sweet time writing his fantasy and boy is it a lot of :words:

Garrison posted:

Students at Berkeley protested in the 1960s to help bring about freedom of political speech and activities at their university. They forced the administration to acknowledge that such speech should not end on campus.

Nowadays, students at Berkeley want to end free speech. They chased Milo Yiannopoulos off campus and then physically attacked those with whom they disagree. The students turned classical liberalism into the very fascism that they claim to despise.

Chairman Mao once brought about a ‘Cultural Revolution’ that was designed to drive out so called ‘revisionists’ and generally instill fear into the populace. Why? Because he could and he enjoyed power. He encouraged China’s young people to harass professors and officials. Many older people suffered beatings, public humiliation and harassment by Mao’s young fanatics. This helped suppress any dissent—which was always something Mao enjoyed nipping in the bud. We’re now seeing a variation of this on many of today’s college campuses. Students are indoctrinated into a mindset that places feelings above logic and reason. They attack their enemies through violence—not debate. You cannot reason with a fist in the face. The ‘antifa’ students are funded by the billionaire sadist George Soros, who loves power and tyranny just as much as Mao did. Like Mao, he also wants to live forever.

Today, if you are conservative in many of America’s big cities, you had better keep your mouth shut. Wearing a pro-Trump hat invites a violent response from leftist thugs. Politicians on the left such as Tim Kaine are egging it on. The legacy media are also complicit.

The global elite could not install Hillary, so they are dancing a tantrum. As a result, Trump is threatened with assassination and his supporters are being physically assaulted. We have also seen Richard Spencer get sucker punched. Whether or not you agree with him is beside the point. Spencer does not advocate violence and his free speech should be protected like anyone else’s.

It’s time to stop the violence and start listening to each other. Instead of telling the police to ‘stand down’ in the face of reckless hate and violence from the left, the rule of law should be enforced. The First Amendment should be defended.

—Ben Garrison

Trogdos! fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 3, 2017

Clunk Tap It
May 1, 2014

Selachian posted:

Get bent, Payne. Betsy DeVos has bought all the Republicans on the Education Committee -- how else do you think she got through to the full Senate after her horrendous performance? She's not even shy about the fact that she buys influence.

But what about all the Dem influence those teachers are buying with their huge paychecks full of OUR tax dollars?
Thanks for the link, by the way.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

:perfect:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

quote:

Politicians on the left such as Tim Kaine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Spencer does not advocate violence, unless you count genocide I guess

• Locked thread