Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mameluke posted:

Which dessert will Haier ruin next week?

Is this a bet or a challenge? Go for the gold, Haier. Try ruining something ambitious. Have any stories about creme brulee? Cronuts? Nectar and ambrosia?

On meeting goons: some are weird, some are fine. When I got here to Taiwan it turned out one of the people in my normal social circle was already a goon anyway, but that might say something about my weird artsy social circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Pirate Radar posted:

but that might say something about my weird artsy social circle.

"artsy" means "weirdo" just like "great personality" means "uggo"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pirate Radar posted:

Is this a bet or a challenge? Go for the gold, Haier. Try ruining something ambitious. Have any stories about creme brulee? Cronuts? Nectar and ambrosia?

On meeting goons: some are weird, some are fine. When I got here to Taiwan it turned out one of the people in my normal social circle was already a goon anyway, but that might say something about my weird artsy social circle.

It's basically impossible to have a social circle in Taiwan that doesn't include goons.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Mameluke posted:

Banana split

cnut
May 3, 2016

I just hope Haier doesn't have any chip dip stories. I like chip dip.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

my money's on baklava somehow

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Ehh, so it's not like how Germans use 'dialect' where all the separate languages just have to bow down to the center one?

My good buddy was white trash as gently caress though; a more baller motherfucker I have rarely met. Completely changed my opinion of the Flemish people for the better.

All of the traditional dialect groups in the Low Countries run from north to south and the border between Flanders and the Netherlands has no linguistic significance, historically. It is simply the ceasefire line at the end of the Eighty Years War, nothing more.

Of course, centuries of separation has caused some divergence. In the Netherlands, Hollandic is dominant, while in Flanders Brabantian has had the most influence (not Flemish, confusingly enough). This has led to some significant differences in terms of pronunciation. But other than that, the vocabulary nowadays is virtually identical.
The historical trend has also been towards more unity, largely for political reasons (i.e. as a defense against the French language), though this has slowed down recently. I believe this contrasts with, say, Swiss German, where they seem to celebrate their dialect(s) and even use it in official communication.

e: where'd you meet your buddy, in Flanders?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Mameluke posted:

Come on tapioca! NO WHYMY! NO WHYMY! STOP! BIG BARFS!

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
15 years ago i was super outgoing and would constantly agree to meet up with people (girls) from the internet

now i just constantly meet up with people (girls) from chat apps and dating apps

ive changed a lot

id never meet up with goons because almost none of them are girls, so why would i

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

My microwave has no buttons, just a dial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3MamvKeOvg

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Nice story Haier, when I close my eyes I can almost smell the banana cream pie pussy yeast mixture.

Sounds like a protein shake

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

5,000 years of banana cream pie pussy yeast mixture in Plun'Qing

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I'm betting he'll ruin trifle for me next.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

This is china, so we know it won't be dairy.

It'll be green tea shenme shenme wotsit doo dah for 11 kuai

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Haier posted:

I still think bald chicks are hot.

that puts this post in perspective

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mameluke posted:

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
damnnnn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9NX7Q2_edM

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
If you get on one of these in China as a local, you're fully aware that this could/will happen. More adrenaline. Makes the meat soft.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

drat that was a hell of a thump.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Its a good thing the clip cuts when it does as the next second would've been gory as gently caress.

If you look closely you see the person who fell out, lying under the path of the gondola/basket.

Lazer Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 3, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

All of the traditional dialect groups in the Low Countries run from north to south and the border between Flanders and the Netherlands has no linguistic significance, historically. It is simply the ceasefire line at the end of the Eighty Years War, nothing more.

Of course, centuries of separation has caused some divergence. In the Netherlands, Hollandic is dominant, while in Flanders Brabantian has had the most influence (not Flemish, confusingly enough). This has led to some significant differences in terms of pronunciation. But other than that, the vocabulary nowadays is virtually identical.
The historical trend has also been towards more unity, largely for political reasons (i.e. as a defense against the French language), though this has slowed down recently. I believe this contrasts with, say, Swiss German, where they seem to celebrate their dialect(s) and even use it in official communication.

e: where'd you meet your buddy, in Flanders?
Ahhhh. All my experience has been with the German part, where you better loving believe they ain't gonna let go of their languages. (Schwebish Supremacy!)

My buddy was actually working over here and I was one of the few co-workers he had that actually bothered to socialize a bit with him. Cool guy, has since gone back to wandering the world. Worked a lot in Switzerland too, so we could share stories of the good and bad. (Sweet everloving jesus why is Lindt so loving expensive outside the German speaking world???)

OH man, that makes me wonder a bit; Japanese candies are decent, are there any Chinese ones that are good enough that you'd actually want to import them?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

OH man, that makes me wonder a bit; Japanese candies are decent, are there any Chinese ones that are good enough that you'd actually want to import them?

No, and in fact their entire native concept of desert is a trainwreck.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

After dim sum they bring out these really plain chilled sort of white jello looking cubes and pour condensed milk on top. It's pretty good and the only chinese dessert I've enjoyed.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

corn and red bean, that's what I want on my dessert

cnut
May 3, 2016

P-Mack posted:

corn and red bean, that's what I want on my dessert

Very soothing after a big meal.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

quote:

A Female Boss (1959)

Would-be feminist Yoanna (Jo Mi-ryeong), running her own company, is insulted in a phone booth by a stranger named Yong-ho (Lee Su-ryeon). While searching for a job, Yong-ho applies to a magazine named "The Modern Woman," not knowing that the company's boss is in fact Yoanna. She hires him with the intention of paying back the humiliation she received. But his masculine attitude captivates her and she ends up marrying him. She resigns her post and becomes a housekeeper, handing over the company to her husband.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

1959? That could have come out this year and i'd not have been surprised.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

:chloe:

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

That's so unbelievably stupid, I can't wrap my loving head around it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

nickmeister posted:

That's so unbelievably stupid, I can't wrap my loving head around it.

Directed by Mel Gibson.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Barudak posted:

No, and in fact their entire native concept of desert is a trainwreck.

Gobi's alright.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/02/03/513259703/in-just-5-moves-grandmaster-loses-and-leaves-chess-world-aghast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUJY4oAQn8I

tl;dr Chinese chess master lady gets randomly paired against other women, assumes sexism, blatantly throws final match in face-saving tantrum

Not really sure what to think of this. She probably dealt with a ton of actual sexism throughout her career, but in the case the pairings were literally decided by a computer. Worth watching the video just to hear the British commentator freaking out.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Holy poo poo, I found myself getting more and more irritated as I read further

say what you want about China, that poo poo would not have been OK-ed there and not just because it involved capitalism

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Taming of the Boss

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I'm trying to imagine the sequel: the man runs the magazine into the ground because he has no experience running a company and they both end up on the street.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
DAILY RACISM - February 4th, 2017:
I am coming home from meeting a friend and am on probably the second or third to last train for the day. Most of the people on the train have baby suitcases and are coming home from their hometowns. There's not many people on the train due to the hour, but most of the seats are taken. I am sitting and there are two seats open next to me, the only free ones in this train car. A couple in their thirties comes rolling up to me with their tiny luggage and the women immediately plops down next to me, obvious exhausted. The guy stands there and stares at her, but doesn't sit. Like a small child, he starts tugging on her coat sleeve, asking her to get up. She shouts "WHY?" and he keeps tugging and his whiny voice increases. She keeps asking why, and he keeps limp-wristedly pulling on her sleeve. Finally, he says "I don't want to be near the foreigner," and she lets out this loud and long sigh and slowly gets on her feet, and he leads her by the sleeve to the next car.

Alpha as gently caress.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The Dalai Lama is visiting USCD and the Chinese students are massively triggered.

https://www.facebook.com/UCSanDiego/photos/a.404154389780.175408.122150409780/10155120534144781/?type=1&theater

quote:

So you guys can not bear extreme Muslims bombing your country but allow Lama slaving and burning Tipet people???????? UCSD u lucky u pissed off just Chinese student, so nothing will go violent

quote:

seriously? imagine how Americans will feel like if some one invite Bin Laden, and how Jewish will feel if some one invite a nazi supporter. It's really a shame

quote:

I know that many of US students believe Chinese has been brainwashed, but no. Those brainwashing things are usually being criticized and seen as something sarcastic among Chinese students - we often make fun of our government - no matter we are in/outside China. Some other US students may think that we only know the history that taught by CN government, but they are so wrong. I took US history in US when I had my high school in US, and I'm double majored in Math/CS and German Studies, and I'm a ERC student finished MMW15 - which means I know history. I learn history from different places, people and perspectives, so I believe I have some right to speak about history. For those who believe we've been brainwashed by Chinese government, how can you not say that you are not brainwashed by US government? Everything Dalai says about peace is to win some pity from western world and let him rule Tibet again as the dictator of both government and religion in Tibet. How do you say that? And I want to tell you: many people say that they've been prosecuted in China because of religion and political reasons is usually to get a US green card, and that's all - I've seen some people done that: fake a lie and get a green card, even easier than fake marriage to get green card. Why most people in US know less about that? Because most of those discussions are in Chinese, and if you know nothing about Chinese, you will know nothing about those scams. Also, US is a country of free speech - which also means we have the right to fight against this. Please do not use free speech as an excuse, because we can also use that as our weapon to fight back - unless double standard is also a core value of US.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Holy poo poo, I found myself getting more and more irritated as I read further

say what you want about China, that poo poo would not have been OK-ed there and not just because it involved capitalism

poo poo like this is why Korea belongs in the China thread and not the Japan thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

We have a right to protest against free speech, look it's right there in the constitution, freedom of speech.

• Locked thread