Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I'm not surprised. Behemoths are typically late game enemies so I expected there to be a gimmick to DEADEYE so early in. Wished they played a little more with the blind spot bit though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
I'm really sad we didn't get a photo of Noctis engulfed in flames on top of the Behemoth's corpse, so here's what I imagine that might have looked like.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

please stop posting, Prompto

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Squarely Circle posted:

I'm really sad we didn't get a photo of Noctis engulfed in flames on top of the Behemoth's corpse, so here's what I imagine that might have looked like.

That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There was a lot more to Deadeye originally, because he was the main boss of the Demo they put out two years ago, but they stripped a lot of it out for the main game when he was retooled as a mere early game sidequest.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Rodyle posted:

There was a lot more to Deadeye originally, because he was the main boss of the Demo they put out two years ago, but they stripped a lot of it out for the main game when he was retooled as a mere early game sidequest.

Were there a bunch of gimmicks in it that they retooled for other fights?

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
:smugbird: NOW THIS IS BIRDRACING :smugbird:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

Were there a bunch of gimmicks in it that they retooled for other fights?

Not that I saw but then I stopped playing after they announced they were redoing half the game in patches.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rodyle posted:

Not that I saw but then I stopped playing after they announced they were redoing half the game in patches.
Yeah, I did the same. Game is fun, but when I heard that they were updating a ton of it in the indefinite future I put off finishing it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Chocobo drifting may be cool. But it doesn't really compare to boar or moose drifting.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Did you know Rednex did a cover of Thre Devil Went Down to Georgia? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EY9kB2n8wk

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I was loving dying at Ignis just standing in the way of that chocobo photo, I've never seen that happen during that quest. Also that guy's clapping is probably the worst animation in the entire game, which is full of jittery and awkward animation already.

Kuvo you were probably joking about bird radio but they're patching that in on the 21st, because people asked for it

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
You know, I never got around to the racing. I guess I got complacent with already having colors to choose from (Probably was a pre-order bonus?).

At least leveling up chocobos just happens by itself from riding them around, so you'll get more stamina and better gliding and stuff. And rainbows.

Also I've probably blinked and missed if it you already have it. But if you don't, oh my god. Don't be like me and ignore the AP for chocobo riding skill. I would have probably had literally hundreds of AP more had I got even the first rank earlier instead of "Oh hey, my Chocobos are level 8. I should buy that." thanks to the regular drip feed of 1 AP.

melodicwaffle posted:

I was loving dying at Ignis just standing in the way of that chocobo photo
That was great. But the photo of a photo loving up was what got me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I am irrationally mad at how bad at maps you all are

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

melodicwaffle posted:

Kuvo you were probably joking about bird radio but they're patching that in on the 21st, because people asked for it

:eyepop:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

By way of the MP3 player you can buy from the car shop (I forgot if they already have), not anything particularly non-sensical.

That crystal one of you said you wanted to visit is the Meteor you got a quest to visit, so that works out. It's pretty much on the way to the plot destination so I'd leave it until you're about to continue with the plot.

I'm pretty sure drifting serves a similar purpose to jumping, but more intentional, if you're trying to preserve stamina in the races.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I have a question.

In the lead up to the game's release, summons were shown off, and there was a magazine talking about the 6 of them in one of the earlier videos. When is the earliest we get to see these crazy summons?

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

The magic system looks kind of irritating.

The best part is the game provides a solution to it's pointless friendly-fire enabled magic system...via an item that comes from paid DLC.

Stay classy, Square-Enix. :shepicide:

Calihan fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 4, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Lunethex posted:

I have a question.

You obtain the first in the next chapter, iirc, not too much more plot progress but potentially a while if they keep mucking around in the open world. As for actually using them in battle, though, you can't use them at will and they're kind of fickle about appearing. I can't remember where the first scripted summon is.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

You obtain the first in the next chapter, iirc, not too much more plot progress but potentially a while if they keep mucking around in the open world. As for actually using them in battle, though, you can't use them at will and they're kind of fickle about appearing. I can't remember where the first scripted summon is.

:lol: so every summon is Gilgamesh/Odin? Nice.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lunethex posted:

:lol: so every summon is Gilgamesh/Odin? Nice.

It's always worth the wait when it Ends up also killing other groups of enemies you haven't even seen yet.

Christo3
May 1, 2013

There's been a good number of Chocobo kweh-ests so far.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I really like the idea of the behemoth hunt and wished more hunts had a bit of story to them but the implementation was pretty terrible, so I guess it's for the best...

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

That was one thing that I noticed, that all the hunts are just "go and kill this thing" maybe the hunt name has an interesting hint of story. Everything poster is "kill it for destroying the habitat" Throwing fire-charged pokeballs at them and scorching the habitat while doing so is optional.

But yeah, no real context.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea the sidequests have no context and are just pointless filler it looks like. Also the characters are one dimensional, nothing much has happened in the plot and the combat seems repetitive and dull. I don't really follow the FF series and maybe this plays better than it looks, but so far they're x number of hours in and this does not seem to be very good imo. How was it recieved?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Mantis42 posted:

Yea the sidequests have no context and are just pointless filler it looks like. Also the characters are one dimensional, nothing much has happened in the plot and the combat seems repetitive and dull. I don't really follow the FF series and maybe this plays better than it looks, but so far they're x number of hours in and this does not seem to be very good imo. How was it recieved?

To be fair, a player probably could have also reached this point in two hours.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mantis42 posted:

The characters aren't even one-dimensional. They're basically the Ep I characters in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI&t=413s.

Their personalities are basically stupid, large muscles, weird accent, and able to use magic for plot reasons.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

They're called archetypes for a reason, you know. A protagonist with A Destiny, flanked by a hyper-competent brainy number 2 guy, a strong and silent one and a comic relief dude? You can find 4 or 5-man bands that fit those types everywhere. I don't really take points against the game for not breaking the fundamental literary mold, but they could have given the characters more depth.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I mean, we're only an hour or 2 of plot progress in, mind. They leave the city, filler happens, the city gets invaded, they return to it, and have now set off for a safe refuge. The open world is admittedly detrimental here, but give the character development some time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

JT Jag posted:

They're called archetypes for a reason, you know. A protagonist with A Destiny, flanked by a hyper-competent brainy number 2 guy, a strong and silent one and a comic relief dude? You can find 4 or 5-man bands that fit those types everywhere. I don't really take points against the game for not breaking the fundamental literary mold, but they could have given the characters more depth.
Fun fact, this describes the Ninja Turtles

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

Prompto's favorite Goosebumps book is actually Say Cheese and Die

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Fun fact, this describes the Ninja Turtles

That was my first guess but I'm struggling to come up with another example now.

Oh wait, Agents of Shield.

JT Jag posted:

Also, you had a good point here too. There's very little camaraderie for people who've supposedly known each other for at least a couple months.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
By the way, a hot take form watching episode 2: I'm the guy who, when leaving a beach is all "God, that was terrible." I don't know if England just has crap beaches, but I'm always just cold and miserable or hot and miserable at the beach. Playing in the sand is fun for about 5 minutes, and wearing little enough to play in the ocean is just out of the question due to the fact that the ocean's even colder. I can read or play a handheld in my room, and I find sunbathing just tedious as I don't see the point in it. I'm the guy who hates beaches. Other natural landmarks, bring it on, but gently caress beaches.

Also I like Dino, because of why he does what he does. He makes his jewelry for general use, but also in universe, at least according to his dialog, they do protect you from stuff. If me and my family were about to leave Galdin Quay to drive all the way back to Lestallum, I'd definitely hit him up for a few star pendants and whatever items give Auto-Protect as well, very nice to have for civilians that can't fight back - he's minimizing casualties, so if he needs me to go somewhere unreasonably difficult, fine. Noctis and co are the only ones that can survive those places, and it's handy to avoid someone's ten year old being poisoned by a giant scorpion or crushed by an iron giant.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 5, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BioEnchanted posted:

I don't know if England just has crap beaches

Yes.

Yes it does.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yes.

Yes it does.

Hey, you take that back!

They just kill people is all.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I remember once going to a beach with my grandparents for a picnic. It was completely coated end to end in an endless expanse of ladybirds covering every grain of sand. That was a fascinating experience. Thousands of ladybirds, it was ridiculous. Also a few years ago, my and my brother went to Whitby, of course I forewent the beach, but we saw something much more interesting walking along the shore above the beach - an enormous expanse of jet black sediment, deposited over a very long time. If the beach was "old land", geologically speaking this may have been "new" land, completely barren. The grass just stopped at the edge.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Smoky Bandana posted:

They just kill people is all.

But enough about Australia

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBOorGPE-Q
Oregon beaches are fun. My family used to go every Thanksgiving and listen to the storms shake the building. The kind of rain that's practically a sandblaster.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Bruceski posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBOorGPE-Q
Oregon beaches are fun. My family used to go every Thanksgiving and listen to the storms shake the building. The kind of rain that's practically a sandblaster.

My favorite part is watching people have their kites and umbrellas snatched away and torn apart by God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gruckles posted:

My favorite part is watching people have their kites and umbrellas snatched away and torn apart by God.

Umbrellas? Those heathens deserve what they get.

• Locked thread