Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Siivola posted:

...I'm sorry, which hotel is that? :v:

Me being fourteen aside, I'm kinda baffled by the scoring rules. Six points for a clean thrust to the head or torso when a cut to the hand is two, and half everything if there's a double hit and... How does anybody actually know how to ref this?

if you got a forums account when you were 10, i shudder for your future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

Siivola posted:

...I'm sorry, which hotel is that? :v:

Me being fourteen aside, I'm kinda baffled by the scoring rules. Six points for a clean thrust to the head or torso when a cut to the hand is two, and half everything if there's a double hit and... How does anybody actually know how to ref this?
THE GAYLORD

But yeah, we ran our Friday Night Fights using the ruleset and the technical bonuses didn't get awarded often. I barely know what I'm doing so I'm glad I not a ref lol.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Uziel posted:

Cool. If you see a big bald dude with a gigantic beard, that's me. Say hi. =P

I'll be the guy in the navy blavy and gray slacks, being yelled at by parents!

God, I hate SYC's.

EDIT: I meant "blazer", but I might try to find a blavy just for this event.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Siivola posted:

He'll be the guy in black. :v:

And while I appreciate the advice, you guys have not seen how bad my parries are. I get that "panicked flailing" can be a distance problem, but right now I don't have a distance where I don't flail.

Relax! I know it's easier said than done, but see if you can avoid tensing up. Slow parry drills like the one I posted can help with this sort of thing: use it to first gauge how small a parry you can get away with, and then repeat a bunch of times to drill small, controlled motions into your muscle memory.

In general, as you get further away from your opponent, you can get away with smaller parries and still be successful. Right up to the point where they fall short and you survive with no parry at all. The idea behind thinking about your distance is to make sure you are always in a situation where a nice small parry will work, so you have the opportunity to fix your flailing habit. Plus, being slightly further away gives you slightly less time pressure, and should by itself reduce your urge to do an oversized emergency "oh poo poo" parry.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Courtesy of the peeps at the Waterloo Sparring Group. I want to go there some day.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

That certainly is a novel way of disarming your opponent. But is it historically accurate?

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Capitol Clash was an absolute blast. I went 0-3 in the pools but got lots of constructive and useful feedback, and met lots of people. I did manage to get over my crushing levels of adrenaline too!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey remember when I went to the Helsinki Bolognese Open?

Siivola posted:

Edit2: Also I have the gnarliest bruise in my thigh right now. I might have to invest in some padded pants before I try my luck at longsword. :v:
Well, the Helsinki Longsword Open was on Saturday, aaaaand I should have bought the pants. :v: I'm now enjoying Gnarl 2: The Inner Thigh.

That aside, the tournament was a lot of fun. I still went 0-5 in the pools (I like big pools and I can not lie) and didn't make the cut, but whatever, I didn't have anything left after the last fight anyway. I'm pretty happy with how I did: Turns out that while things like timing, distance and picking the right openings transfer across weapons remarkably well, you still need to train a specific weapon to actually score any points with it. (Surprise!) Landed some nice thrusts but got doubled or afterblown out, reached good grips but didn't score takedowns, missed a lot of parries because of missing footwork, stuff like that. Then we went drinking and yesterday Kristofer Stanson held a seminar on military sabre. I'm pretty pooped.

Competitions are fun.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, fencing is kicking back into action here and so far I have a pulled calf muscle (better now but drat that was a close call, could have been serious), a burst blister on the ball of my back foot from lunging too hard, and a small blister on by index finger from bladework. Hooray for injuries!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Fun times. Out for 3 months and only just able to complete a fairly easy practice.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Get better soon, guys. :(

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well, fencing is kicking back into action here and so far I have a pulled calf muscle (better now but drat that was a close call, could have been serious), a burst blister on the ball of my back foot from lunging too hard, and a small blister on by index finger from bladework. Hooray for injuries!
Fun. I thought I broke my thumb on Saturday but it's just bruised. I got my SPES Heavies after class so I can stop using beat up loaner gloves.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I found Hey Gail's fencing manual.

[x]

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!

Siivola posted:

[x]

quote:

However, if your grace will be assaulted on the way home, by a whole group of enemies, then take your rappier with both fists and shoot it at the whole group, and see hereafter where your grace can gain further protection, because need sometimes breaks iron, ere you live, there you give.

Hundt is fun.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Siivola posted:

[x]

Is this artistic license or actual distance in rapier fencing?

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!

married but discreet posted:

Is this artistic license or actual distance in rapier fencing?

I'm not particularly familiar with Hundt's fencing system outside of some of his quirky plates, but in my (mostly Italian) experience, that would be very close. In Capo Ferro's book for instance (1610), even when someone attacks into an attack you don't usually see examples of anyone getting that close unless there has been some sort of seizure of the weapon or hand. For example, both of these plates show strikes that were responses to attacks:

Without a seizure

With a seizure

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
italian rapiers are loving huge as heck tho

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
How long are the rapiers supposed to be in those plates? They look way longer than 42".

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

your friend a dog posted:

How long are the rapiers supposed to be in those plates? They look way longer than 42".
italian dueling rapiers got real big. a dude at my fencing club had one that came up to his armpit

ed: that hundt manual is cool because most manuals get pretty "perfectly spherical fencer on a frictionless plane", if you know what i mean

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Here's an interesting take on rapier lengths in Capo Ferro: https://bookandsword.com/2015/08/01/how-can-ancient-art-help-us-read-ridolfo-capo-ferro/

It's a bit curious how it ended up being the Spanish who got a reputation for ridiculously long rapiers later in the 17th century.

Edit: And 18th century in particular. Here's Girard from 1736 or so:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 2, 2017

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!
Lake Capo Ferro, Alfieri also recommends a sword that measures from the sole of your foot to your armpit. For me that's a blade around 46". Pretty long.

Siivola posted:

It's a bit curious how it ended up being the Spanish who got a reputation for ridiculously long rapiers later in the 17th century.

I'm pretty sure I've read that the smallsword was embraced more slowly in Spain than elsewhere. Could have something to do with that.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, the Spanish and southern Italians were both pretty slow to adopt it. But the thing is, Angelo (an Italian guy writing in 1760s England about the French school) describes Spanish rapiers as being about five feet in length, which is absolutely bonkers even by rapier standards.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
And these are all single handed swords? :what:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

BirdOfPlay posted:

hell yeah

anyway spanish sword culture is mentally unwell. unfortunately the website i got these from is down so you will just have to imagine them
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529788&userid=191005&perpage=40&pagenumber=12#post461464302

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

edit: pictured, this thread

E: Peep these Spanish swords. http://vicentetoledo.es/es/espadas (Click the images.)

Siivola fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 2, 2017

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!

BirdOfPlay posted:

Why do you think the dudes in Capo Ferro are so ripped?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Invincible Spleen posted:

Why do you think the dudes in Capo Ferro are so ripped?

Fair point. I just don't understand why they're so naked.

Also, it's Friday which means another high school meet. So glad I got roped into reffing these. On a related note when the gently caress did they last make velcro jackets? VELCRO!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

BirdOfPlay posted:

High Renaissance, Mannerism... Really the better question is who wasn't drawn naked and completely ripped.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

dupersaurus posted:

High Renaissance, Mannerism... Really the better question is who wasn't drawn naked and completely ripped.
in addition to the part where everyone's flaking out over classical antiquity, if you draw the example dudes naked you can study their body movements in a way that you won't be able to if they were wearing normal 17th century clothing

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Also fencers have always been degenerate perverts.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HEY GAIL posted:

in addition to the part where everyone's flaking out over classical antiquity, if you draw the example dudes naked you can study their body movements in a way that you won't be able to if they were wearing normal 17th century clothing

I don't know what you're talking about. :geno:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

BirdOfPlay posted:

I don't know what you're talking about. :geno:

Degenerate Pervert spotted

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

BirdOfPlay posted:

Also, it's Friday which means another high school meet. So glad I got roped into reffing these. On a related note when the gently caress did they last make velcro jackets? VELCRO!

Oh yeah, that reminds me of a few years back when we cleaned out the mysterious bag of poo poo nobody ever used or looked in at the university club. Inside was a bunch of child-sized clothing made of ridiculously thin material that probably wouldn't stop jack poo poo and a couple of thin jackets with only velcro fastenings. I'm not sure who thought it was ever a good idea to make such blatantly unsafe gear.
We chucked it all out. There was also an old post-grip foil, which I nabbed to use as a visual/training weapon. The blade is very old (electrics are long since dead) but it's in surprisingly good nick otherwise and doesn't feel like it's near breaking point.

Also, the length from the floor to my armpit is a little longer than a standard foil blade, maybe twice the extra reach I'd get from pomelling? Seems reasonable to me, but then again I'm not a tall guy and I can see how poo poo could get ridiculous fast. Makes me wonder where the maximum-range arms race would end up-

Oh, right. Of course.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Makes me wonder where the maximum-range arms race would end up-

Think it ended up around here:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I call bullshit, these are just tiny people.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Think it ended up around here:

Where's Hey Gal? I'd wager the 20' pikes win that game.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

DandyLion posted:

Where's Hey Gal? I'd wager the 20' pikes win that game.

From what I've heard, the Alexander successor states had a pike length arms race that made it to ~22 feet, but that really anything over 16-17ft placed too much burden on the soldiers to be truly effective (I think Alexander's armies marched with ~16). The stories you hear of phalanxes being unable to maneuver and breaking up over rough terrain are generally talking about this age; phalanxes were actually fairly mobile back when they had spears or shorter pikes.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

dupersaurus posted:

From what I've heard, the Alexander successor states had a pike length arms race that made it to ~22 feet, but that really anything over 16-17ft placed too much burden on the soldiers to be truly effective (I think Alexander's armies marched with ~16). The stories you hear of phalanxes being unable to maneuver and breaking up over rough terrain are generally talking about this age; phalanxes were actually fairly mobile back when they had spears or shorter pikes.

The issue is not so much the length, its the coordination of the pikemen. Elite pikemen like Alexander's troops and a lot of Hey Gail's guys can do advanced maneuvers like shifting the orientation of the pikes at the drop of a hat. The successor states struggles were largely a problem with the armies not being anywhere nearly as well trained as Alexander's guys.

To compensate, they extended the length of the pikes and tried to issue more armor to their soldiers. This worked when they fought each other, but once the Romans got involved, they got outmaneuvered and beaten fairly easily, despite isolated cases of the pikemen repelling intense Roman attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WoodrowSkillson posted:

To compensate, they extended the length of the pikes and tried to issue more armor to their soldiers.
this is exactly the wrong thing to do with a half-trained pikeman, since it's the length of the pike that's the problem for a new guy