Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MOBAs definitely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sometimes games should die

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And thus we enter the discussion on when death with dignity comes to gaming, and close the book on loot box talk.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Are mobas secretly fun when you understand how to play them or are they as bad as they look

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Regy Rusty posted:

Sometimes games should die

Sakurazuka posted:

MOBAs definitely

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

They get worse when you know what's happening actually.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

Are mobas secretly fun when you understand how to play them or are they as bad as they look

i think its like if you get good a them you build a pretty close crew to play with that keeps you going idk though because i never played one

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
MOBAs are a good way to lose friends because of extremely petty stupid poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

No

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MOBADs

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Heroes of the Storm: it's not a moba!!

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

Imagine 10 random people locked in a room for ~45 minutes on average discussing Trump.

It's more toxic than even that.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

devtesla posted:

Heroes of the Storm: it's not a moba!!

There's a special place in hell for moba devs who lock 90% of the roster out from a new player.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

There's a special place in hell for moba devs who lock 90% of the roster out from a new player.

But progression, my man! Also you know people are overwhelmed by choice so we have to look out for them.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

Good thing HotS is not a moba

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

There's a special place in hell for moba devs

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I like mobas

those are the ones with the tapioca pearls, right

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

devtesla posted:

Good thing HotS is not a moba

Well, you see, while our game pits two teams of five in a game where they push lanes and kill each other with the end goal of destroying a large central base structure that requires an in-depth knowledge of each character's strengths and abilities before you can even start getting good, it doesn't have last hitting and therefore it's not a MOBA

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I assumed devtesla's post was some kind of joke but if it was serious then just LOL.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

I assumed devtesla's post was some kind of joke but if it was serious then just LOL.

Blizzard refuses to call HotS a MOBA despite it clearly being one, likely as some kind of "it's not just another MOBA!" marketing strategy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

devtesla posted:

Blizzard refuses to call HotS a MOBA despite it clearly being one, likely as some kind of "it's not just another MOBA!" marketing strategy.

They should call it a BOBA.

Babby MOBA.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
living the life

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

every final fantasy at once? thats gonna be one pissed off crystal chronicles party that has to carry mr. multitask's rear end

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

every final fantasy at once? thats gonna be one pissed off crystal chronicles party that has to carry mr. multitask's rear end

No he's playing final fantasy xi on like 10 different accounts apparently (and XV on one TV I guess)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

:sad:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That apartment is suspiciously tidy

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

So is he a serial killer or

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean he's not playing Hitman on 47 monitors

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jay Rust posted:

That apartment is suspiciously tidy

it's a good thing too or he would have been embarrassed when they showed up to take pictures at random

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I bet he's popular with the ladies, just look at how many monitors he can afford.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oddium posted:

consumer watchdog alert: invictus is flush with hat baron cash

I was going to say that any post by the captain on boxes should have a fiduciary rule style disclaimer.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I already hate the phrase "PS4 Amateur"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

devtesla posted:

They were trying to call Warcraft 3 a "role playing strategy" game for a while too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

On my way home I stopped at the grocery and someone had left a very little foil balloon things that said HAPPY BIRTHDAY in the check out aisle, like they had been going to buy it but thought better of it just before leaving. I'd forgotten until now, but something about Twenty Final Fantasy Screens Guy reminds me of the discarded balloon.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I already hate the phrase "PS4 Amateur"

Wait until you see what they call the Xbox once the Scorpio comes out.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also at the end of the article it says he has to pay extra money for insurance because his place is basically a giant fire hazard, and back from my insurance working years, I can just picture the conversation he had with his homeowner's agent, and I really want to read the line item for the insurance rider for "a jillion wires for Dragon Quest."

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I missed it a few pages back, but while I understand gacha complaints usually, I dont get it for Fire Emblem. The heroes you get from the story mode cover the 3 weapon types as well as an archer. And those story heroes have some kick rear end abilities. The rpg progression really prevents the gacha from being a necessity, especially if you invest the tonnes of currency they give you into increasing your exp gain.

Like yeah, if you want to get deep into pvp or collect your specific favourite dude, i could see wasting money on the game. But those things have always specifically targeted whales. For playing the game, aside from the single novelty pull i did at the start, Ive been cruising through the story mode without issue.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
The past few pages have been good quality banter about microtransactions. Which reminds me of Blizzard's other endeavor: Diablo 3's auction house. So it isn't exactly a new endeavor from them from getting money from gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
PS4 Casual

• Locked thread