Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
If you make 100k, everything should cost twice as much as it does to someone making 50k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I prefer to think of income as how much I earn per family member.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

greazeball posted:

Anyone from anywhere can do my job,

Then why are you doing it, instead of a swiss person for who it would be presumably easier? Why did Switzerland give you a work visa?

greazeball posted:

Switzerland does not rely on US military power for poo poo,

lol

The AAPL YOLO guy was determined to be "trading" on a demo account, right? Cause Apple just had a banner quarter, led by strong Iphone sales. I did hope that someone who'd pissed away 2.5 mill would lose everything, though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
In my defense I did say contractors who get paid a premium and used an IT military contractor as my example.

Obviously Americans working overseas would make these kinds of big bucks if only they were tactical post doctorates with an emphasis on databases. Duh.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Uncle Enzo posted:

Then why are you doing it, instead of a swiss person for who it would be presumably easier? Why did Switzerland give you a work visa?

Because I got married and we moved to where she lived? Should she have to pay Swiss taxes if she doesn't live here? Why don't I have to pay state taxes? Why do no other countries harrass their expats like this? It's bullshit.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sundae posted:

What I really want to know is whether someone who makes $100K+ should be required to tip more at restaurants than someone who only :fuckoff:

It depends on whether or not they used to be a chef getting paid poo poo while the servers make bank, because Karma.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

greazeball posted:

Anyone from anywhere can do my job, Switzerland does not rely on US military power for poo poo, it's actually more difficult to immigrate here with a US passport compared to others, my taxes here find a better health system, roads, public transport, etc., I pay tax here on all of my income (so I'm double taxed if I ever do go above the exemption, which isn't likely), and I pay for my passport at point of service. I want to keep living here and I'm happy to pay tax for the things I use. When I go home, there are plenty of airport, hotel and rental car taxes that I pay like all the other visitors. But I've also got to report every cent I have in any bank account to the loving Financial Crimes Enforcement Network every year for the high-risk activity of being American with a foreign bank account. Lots of banks here won't do business with Americans and mortgages and running your own business is a lot more complicated and expensive. It's bullshit, especially when businesses can avoid tax by pretending their money was made in Ireland or wherever.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-tax-credit

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Seriously. The exemption doesn't really even matter unless the US has a higher federal tax than your place of residence has federal+canton+whatever.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

Not trying to defend greazeball, but even with the FEIE and FTCs, the fact that the US makes a claim to your income (however large/small it is) earned by a citizen living outside of US borders, paying taxes to a foreign state, and working for a non-US company based solely on your passport and not your residence is bullshit. It'd be like requiring someone living in Texas but born in Virginia to have to file a VA return.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

No Butt Stuff posted:

I prefer to think of income as how much I earn per family member.

Why is this making more sense than it has any right to

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Divorce: GWM?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Subjunctive posted:

Divorce: GWM?

Depends, mine cost me like 10k but now I get to take two European trips for the price of one - maybe less since I don't need to wine and dine someone.

BWL/BWE (emotions) though.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

big trivia FAIL posted:

Why is this making more sense than it has any right to

You try having a wife and 4 kids.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

You try having a wife and 4 kids.

I got a wife and 2 kids and my wife is a stay at home mom, so right there with ya

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

monster on a stick posted:

If you make 100k, everything should cost twice as much as it does to someone making 50k.

It does, you just get a lot cooler stuff

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Hello from New Zealand, from which I would still have to file a return in the US.

Pararoid posted:

Can we all just spare a moment to think about those on only $100k a year for a moment, please?

Struggling to make ends meet on $100k salary

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

King George posted:

Not trying to defend greazeball, but even with the FEIE and FTCs, the fact that the US makes a claim to your income (however large/small it is) earned by a citizen living outside of US borders, paying taxes to a foreign state, and working for a non-US company based solely on your passport and not your residence is bullshit. It'd be like requiring someone living in Texas but born in Virginia to have to file a VA return.

No it's really not like the example you are giving because states are not separate countries.

Our government has decided that if you want to be a citizen you have to pay taxes - doesn't matter where you live. They've decided to give a very generous exemption to people working abroad which seems pretty nice to me. I'm not really seeing how this is bullshit. Crappy analogies and 'OTHER COUNTRIES DON'T' doesn't seem like a particularly compelling argument.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Subjunctive posted:

Seriously. The exemption doesn't really even matter unless the US has a higher federal tax than your place of residence has federal+canton+whatever.

Seconded. As an expat filing abroad and obviously not making over 100K, it isn't that hard to do so. The only thing I wish was that I lived in a country that had a SS reciprocal agreement.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It's also a gigantic dickpain that causes loads of compliance problems for individuals who are accidental US citizens, have zero connection to america, or in some instances had no clue they were american and never had a passport. Not ex-pats, but like, never-pats. They will have to either be compliant forever, at a great inconvenience and financial cost to themselves, or avoid the US. Even giving up citizenship requires tax compliance and a hefty fee, plus the guarantee that you'll be harassed at the US border if you ever want to go to disneyland or something. FACTA reporting requirements are also some serious overreach bullshit that can significantly effect many people's day-to-day lives for zero loving reason. As already mentioned, it can be hard to find a bank to work with because of all the extra hassle they have to deal with which essentially requires them to give up personal information to a foreign entity. The IRS also doesn't recognize some tax-advantaged accounts and will assess taxes on them anyways. I'm not sure how preventing citizens from opening up the foreign equivalent of 529 plans for a couple generations enables diplomacy, but keep tootin' that exceptionalist horn. For a policy that's supposed to be cracking down on fraud it sure targets all the wrong places :thumbsup:

Republicans have already indicated their intention to destroy a number of regulations in the financial sector. If this is one of them then chalk up another win under the 'even a racist clock is right twice a day' column.

e. that last point is a pretty hosed up BWM at a national level. Let's bring back the gilded age, everybody! For a populaceparty so opposed to abortion they seem to have no problem letting one run the country :911:

e2. #notallamericans

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 4, 2017

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I work for a company that has about 40 locations around the country. I guess yesterday, at one of the locations near the one I work at, the center manager was fired. He, along with one of his friends, created an employee that wasn't really an employee and they were splitting the paycheck.

I guess he took his friends info (like SSN, ID and everything else a new employee needs to provide) and submitted all the paperwork to the corporate office as if he was a new hire. Then through our online payroll system, he just entered hours for this employee every week. And I guess he had been doing this for about a year and a half. I'm not really sure how he got caught, but it sounds like the "employee" was part time and on the last pay period "worked" enough to get overtime and it caught someone's attention, but I still don't know how they would have got caught, since the corporate office is over 1000 miles away and it's not like someone could have checked.

What I don't get is how no one at the center level noticed this. At my location, 4 people in management have access to the employee time cards. The punches for each day need to be approved before being submitted to the payroll department, so if that happened here, someone eventually would see this mysterious employee and ask about it.

They obviously got away with it for a while, but it's going to be pretty bad with money having to pay back all that money, losing your job, and probably going to jail.

More info on this story if anyone cares.

I guess the manager who got fired wouldn't let any of his assistant managers approve time cards or hand out paychecks to the employees.

The friend he "hired" I guess got a divorce recently, and the guys ex-wife went to the regional manager of the manager who was defrauding the company and told him about it. The regional manager didn't really believe the story, but the next time he was at that center he looked for this employees training files and none existed and he confronted/fired the manager.

The company has fraud insurance and the insurance company is going after both of them I guess, so they're pretty much hosed.

BWM: A divorce where your wife knows you're committing a crime.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

I'm not rich, I only make $99,999.9 repeating.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

As an expat, I'm very familiar with the love it or leave it justification for American exceptionalism. But how would you pitch it to the Chinese, for example? If it's such a great idea, shouldn't every country do it? It's nothing more than harrassment that I put up with to avoid future harrassment when I want to visit my folks. How much actual revenue does it add up to that justifies all the bullshit that me and all the others who will make good salaries but never really come close to the exemption have to put up with?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BAE OF PIGS posted:

More info on this story if anyone cares.

I guess the manager who got fired wouldn't let any of his assistant managers approve time cards or hand out paychecks to the employees.

The friend he "hired" I guess got a divorce recently, and the guys ex-wife went to the regional manager of the manager who was defrauding the company and told him about it. The regional manager didn't really believe the story, but the next time he was at that center he looked for this employees training files and none existed and he confronted/fired the manager.

The company has fraud insurance and the insurance company is going after both of them I guess, so they're pretty much hosed.

BWM: A divorce where your wife knows you're committing a crime.

I can't understand how anyone thinks they can get away with this kind of thing long term.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

flosofl posted:

I can't understand how anyone thinks they can get away with this kind of thing long term.

Much like bonuses, the short term is not only the main objective, it is the only objective. The long term will either take care of itself, or he had literally no understanding that the long term even existed.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Much like bonuses, the short term is not only the main objective, it is the only objective. The long term will either take care of itself, or he had literally no understanding that the long term even existed.

Huh, like capitalism on the whole.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Pretty much no other country does this - surely british citizens and chinese citizens benefit from their respective militaries while abroad, and they don't pay taxes when not living in the country.

Maybe they should pay American taxes then because everyone benefits from our benevolent and wonderful military. Haven't you seen those recruitment ads where there's a bunch of planes dropping things and then it zooms in and the things are giant crates with AID written on them and definitely not bombs? Someone's gotta pay for those :colbert:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Devonaut posted:

I'm not rich, I only make $99,999.9 repeating.

Good thing because if you make 100k your taxes go way up.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

n8r posted:

No it's really not like the example you are giving because states are not separate countries.

Our government has decided that if you want to be a citizen you have to pay taxes - doesn't matter where you live. They've decided to give a very generous exemption to people working abroad which seems pretty nice to me. I'm not really seeing how this is bullshit. Crappy analogies and 'OTHER COUNTRIES DON'T' doesn't seem like a particularly compelling argument.

If it's a "crappy analogy," then it just highlights the absurdity of the requirement. A regional taxation scheme shouldn't apply to people who don't live or do business in it.

If the majority of citizens living abroad don't have to pay taxes, then why is the government spending time and money to try and collect it from them? Also, why would they create exemptions to avoid double taxation if taxing based on citizenship was a good idea. Why should a US citizen who is a resident of another country have to file complex PFIC paperwork just to buy an index fund in the country of their residence?

You shouldn't have to choose between giving up your citizenship (and the right to travel to your hometown and be with your family) and trying to comply with a needlessly complex and outdated system of taxation.

You seem to think that most of the US citizens living abroad are rich people trying to evade taxes and avoid paying their fair share.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

King George posted:

You seem to think that most of the US citizens living abroad are rich people trying to evade taxes and avoid paying their fair share.

Sounds American to me.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

greazeball posted:

As an expat, I'm very familiar with the love it or leave it justification for American exceptionalism. But how would you pitch it to the Chinese, for example? If it's such a great idea, shouldn't every country do it?
Well because for a lot of countries the appeal of their citizenship is not enough to keep people paying taxes. The US can only really do this because many people would prefer to stay American and can generally enforce it. If somewhere like Kenya decided to tax all their expatriates, those people would renounce in a second. And they would also lack the sort of enforcement the US can apply.

A similar thing happened with citizenship - Kenya didn't allow dual citizenship for a while, and what happened is that all their citizens who were in the UK, US, or Europe would just renounce citizenship when they had the chance to switch; they changed the policy because it was much better for them to let expats keep their citizenship so they were more likely to return/visit/invest in Kenya.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

ate all the Oreos posted:

Maybe they should pay American taxes then because everyone benefits from our benevolent and wonderful military. Haven't you seen those recruitment ads where there's a bunch of planes dropping things and then it zooms in and the things are giant crates with AID written on them and definitely not bombs? Someone's gotta pay for those :colbert:

Don't give Trump any ideas.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Well because for a lot of countries the appeal of their citizenship is not enough to keep people paying taxes. The US can only really do this because many people would prefer to stay American and can generally enforce it. If somewhere like Kenya decided to tax all their expatriates, those people would renounce in a second. And they would also lack the sort of enforcement the US can apply.

A similar thing happened with citizenship - Kenya didn't allow dual citizenship for a while, and what happened is that all their citizens who were in the UK, US, or Europe would just renounce citizenship when they had the chance to switch; they changed the policy because it was much better for them to let expats keep their citizenship so they were more likely to return/visit/invest in Kenya.

Exactly this. American citizenship is valuable. It's desired. And the fact we're the only remaining Superpower means there is an exceptionalism aspect to it. It's not fair and it probably doesn't even add much money to the treasury, but that doesn't matter.

If the next 100 years becomes the Chinese Century you better believe they'll tax their expats. Britain taxed everything back in the day. If technology had allowed them to create an income tax for all subjects beyond their island they would've done it.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Krispy Kareem posted:

Exactly this. American citizenship is valuable. It's desired. And the fact we're the only remaining Superpower means there is an exceptionalism aspect to it. It's not fair and it probably doesn't even add much money to the treasury, but that doesn't matter.

If the next 100 years becomes the Chinese Century you better believe they'll tax their expats. Britain taxed everything back in the day. If technology had allowed them to create an income tax for all subjects beyond their island they would've done it.

lol and how'd that work out for the Brits? I think we threw them a lovely little party or something?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Noctone posted:

lol and how'd that work out for the Brits? I think we threw them a lovely little party or something?

If the expats want to revolt, they are free to do so.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Noctone posted:

They were still the reigning superpower until Germany tried to take over in World War I.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Noctone posted:

They had a pretty good century or so after that and they are still one of the wealthiest and influential nations in the world, so pretty good I guess? Lol if you think Britain just learned their lesson after the American revolutionary war and that was like the end of imperial colonialism

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yes, why won't anyone think of the poor government's ability to be dicks to people so they remember who's in charge.

For some reason that doesn't make me think it's less bullshit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Noctone posted:

Pretty well since they had a globe spanning empire for centuries. We had to convince the French to fund, arm, and train us to be able to fight them (or rather a small fraction of their army) to a standstill over half a decade, which partly lead to the fall of the French monarchy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:qq: I have to pay taxes if I'm making a lot of money! :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

WampaLord posted:

:qq: I have to pay taxes if I'm making a lot of money! :qq:

said no one. They're complaining about filing taxes when they are overseas and banks not wanting to work with them because of FATCA. I know reading is difficult but please try.

• Locked thread