Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

lol

i missed coverage, I'm assuming a bunch of cat lady and maybe some GB deck with machine gun man in it?

Lots of GB decks, lots of Mardu Vehicles decks on coverage. One round had a marvel saheeli and uwr saheeli.

Looks like some of the GB and Mardu decks are splashing blue post sideboard as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
What are the Mardu and Cat combos?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I like how the new article confirms that they won't reprint a card based on its name alone because of 'story".

Atog didn't "fit" in kaladesh.

Oh, and they are definitely still taking older formats into consideration when making cards.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 3, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

qbert posted:

None of the on-camera Standard matches from Day 1 featured cat combo. Are none of the big teams playing the deck at the PT, or does Wizards really not want to draw attention to their gently caress up?

BG and Mardu Vehicles are very good in a format where the average number of copies of board wipes is 0.

Sickening posted:

I like how the new article confirms that they won't reprint a card based on its name alone because of 'story".

Oh, and they are definitely still taking older formats into consideration when making cards.

But then why do they have Atogs on Mirrodin

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
A scavenger on dominaria, a predator on mirrodin, a consulate niusance on kaladesh

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sickening posted:

it would have been really cool if maybe the whole planar bridge had done something, could have yet another atog go between dimensions

could have been a cute reference to mirrodin doing the same thing while also making the bridge have an effect beyond just being a big swirly thing

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
but you know what, those two sentences were more thought about the story of magic then should ever be done, so whatever sure just make a functional reprint and go home

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

mandatory lesbian posted:

it would have been really cool if maybe the whole planar bridge had done something, could have yet another atog go between dimensions

could have been a cute reference to mirrodin doing the same thing while also making the bridge have an effect beyond just being a big swirly thing

That would involve the creative department being more creative than "look, it's India" and "aren't metal spirals cool?" Like, there's a huge well of hindu and buddhist myth to draw on, and kaladesh sidestepped it to be nascar's new delhi 300 with intricate metal art or whatever.

E: there should have been an atog tribe instead of the gremlins; they could just print Rx atogs alongside the original

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

spanish player said "go to combat" and then tried to crew a vehicle in the beginning of combat step, but the judge stopped him to inform him that this actually meant "go to attack" and he couldn't do what he was doing

I am glad that judges are really following through with removing the gotcha beginning of combat bullshit.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Screw that! Atogs don't respect storylines or even space-time. They will go anywhere and do anything for tasty artifacts.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

GeneX posted:

That would involve the creative department being more creative than "look, it's India" and "aren't metal spirals cool?" Like, there's a huge well of hindu and buddhist myth to draw on, and kaladesh sidestepped it to be nascar's new delhi 300 with intricate metal art or whatever.

E: there should have been an atog tribe instead of the gremlins; they could just print Rx atogs alongside the original

A lot of that is because Kaladesh isn't a top-down "India" design, it's a bottom-up "Energy and Artifacts" design that they decided to use India flavoring on instead of just making "Steampunk: the Plane". I have no doubt they're fully aware of how much Hindu stuff there is to draw on, but this wasn't the plane that they wanted to use that for; sort of how they worked to keep Theros specifically Greek instead of Greco-Roman.

Also Gremlins are way cuter than Atogs :colbert:.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

Mirrodin was populated by Memnarch going around and kidnapping dudes for his plane.

So he rolled up on some Atogs one day and thought they were dope.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

A lot of that is because Kaladesh isn't a top-down "India" design, it's a bottom-up "Energy and Artifacts" design that they decided to use India flavoring on instead of just making "Steampunk: the Plane". I have no doubt they're fully aware of how much Hindu stuff there is to draw on, but this wasn't the plane that they wanted to use that for; sort of how they worked to keep Theros specifically Greek instead of Greco-Roman.

Also wotc was worried that using Hindu mythology would be blasphemous or using anything too Indian would be seen as offensive so they just didn't use it at all.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Also everyone hated Kamigawa for following the mythology it was based on too closely.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sigma-X posted:

He's just gotta make it up to 14th to finish Day 2 to ascend to the next level of holocaust denial.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Have you ever tried ascending... backwards?

Goddamn.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I was going to respond but that last line tells me you're actually just insane

E: ahaha I missed the twoo stairs joke

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Also everyone hated Kamigawa for following the mythology it was based on too closely.

i think you'll find it was the best block

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It's a bunch of bad cards, 5 stupid dragons that ruined a whole lot of MMA packs, and a piece of equipment that ruins most games as soon as it connects.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

It's a bunch of bad cards, 5 stupid dragons that ruined a whole lot of MMA packs, and a piece of equipment that ruins most games as soon as it connects.

You forgot a goblin that makes a bunch of devenerate combos work, an artifact that gave an archtype in legacy a sterotype for slow playing, and two rares that make up a modern deck people want banned for some reason.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

not cute but this is still one of my favorite magic card arts an I'm still legitimately irritated by the abomination in vma

no, because best block is either lorwyn/shadowmoor or time spiral

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Sigma-X posted:

He's just gotta make it up to 14th to finish Day 2 to ascend to the next level of holocaust denial.

14 + 2 is 16. 16/2 is 8. H is the 8th letter of the alphabet. 16 = 2x8, so 16 = HH.

Coincidence??? I'm just asking questions here.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

And that's just up to K.

EDIT: Are magiccards.info results not showing for anyone else on the forums?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

mehall posted:

Without dorect footage showing when he says "combat" and when he taps to crew, I'm unsure how to feel.

On one hand, it's a near textbook example of the shortcut policy.

On the other hand, it's the guys first pro tour, and he doesn't speak english that well.

This will at least cause there to be discussion over the policy, but this is a toigh policy to get right.

I feel like maybe high-level Magic play should use a physical phase marker of some sort, even if it's just a bead on a track, to prevent this kind of thing.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Serperoth posted:

And that's just up to K.

Yeah, hotlinks are broken for me too.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Yeah, hotlinks are broken for me too.

they're fine for me in awful app but not from desktop

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

not cute but this is still one of my favorite magic card arts an I'm still legitimately irritated by the abomination in vma

Might want to look away

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Night Danger Moose posted:

14 + 2 is 16. 16/2 is 8. H is the 8th letter of the alphabet. 16 = 2x8, so 16 = HH.

Coincidence??? I'm just asking questions here.

drat he'd really be going full nazi. on a side note: i hope his avocados got confiscated at the airport.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

Count Bleck posted:

two rares that make up a modern deck people want banned for some reason.

IIRC Brothers Yamazaki were uncommon.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Konda was a fun EDH commander the two times I played that format.

Basically, let's Return to Kamigawa and see what's up.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Might want to look away

it's funny because shocking a psychatog does basically nothing

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I feel like maybe high-level Magic play should use a physical phase marker of some sort, even if it's just a bead on a track, to prevent this kind of thing.

People are gonna shake the table and we'll see some high-level shuffling-cards-oops-moved-bead shenanigans.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

I would post a story explanation for this but it feels like a "trap spring" situation.

Kalli posted:

Mirrodin was populated by Memnarch going around and kidnapping dudes for his plane.

So he rolled up on some Atogs one day and thought they were dope.
Or this nerd beat me to it.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Serperoth posted:

And that's just up to K.

magiccards doesn't support https connections so SA won't display images from them.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MisterOblivious posted:

magiccards doesn't support https connections so SA won't display images from them.

Makes sense.

They're cool cards though, I promise.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

suicidesteve posted:

But also the single most fun card ever made, Sensei's Divining Top.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
Er. Blood Moon

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm guessing some creative got really pissy that Atogs would ruin their "vision."

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

MisterOblivious posted:

They look great on the Something app.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Meloku has won me games against 8rack. On upkeep with the rack/affliction trigger on the stack pick up lands, can't lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

it's also the same problem that's hitting AutoCardAnywhere I think

• Locked thread