Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Am I wrong for wanting to buy a CAI for my Scion because the stock airbox has two out of three broken clamps, and a used stock airbox is more expensive and will possibly break all over again? I mean, I'm not into CAIs but i can get a brand new DC on Amazon for $150 and it has great reviews, non oiled washable filter too.

[e] also my Scion has a slushbox don't judge me :colbert:

Literally what I just did for the new-to-me commuting bitch Fit I bought. DC Sports intake: $150. OEM intake and bits: $450.

Easy decision, and it sounds good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ExplodingSims posted:

So, in tv chat, I just learned that there's a show on by the name of Riverdale, that claims to be "A dark and mature take on the classic Archie comics!"

I, Uh, huh. Who was asking for that?
How many people even know who Archie is?
I think that's a Netflix show? I have to say, I'll give it a watch, they've been doing pretty well with their original content, and I give them a chance new stuff which I wouldn't normally watch.

Enourmo posted:

I'm all down for supporting and accomodating poo poo we can't reasonably fix, like Autism and other mental stuff. Splicing in a microphone, on the other hand, is fairly trivial.
Changing the world to fit a disability is a Hurculean effort, changing a person to fit the world we have is generally much easier.
No, you see, that's oppression. You're enforcing your standard of "normal".

I've given up getting particularly angry at the utter loving idiocy spewed out by people nowadays. I just kind of go "ughh..." and get on with being a sane, actually-of-some-use human being. Roll on the apocalypse.

Seminal Flu posted:

You need new friends.
It's Rhyno.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

HandlingByJebus posted:

Literally what I just did for the new-to-me commuting bitch Fit I bought. DC Sports intake: $150. OEM intake and bits: $450.

Easy decision, and it sounds good too.

$450? Jesus Christ. The stock Scion box isn't that much more expensive but I'm more worried about it breaking all over again and rinse/repeating. Sounds like a plan, reviews are saying the DC is really good quality for $150.

Also pretty happy with my new commuting bitch so far, didn't really want an automatic but it shifts pretty drat good for a probably ancient design four speed.

sirnollem
Apr 12, 2008
I know there are a bunch of Electrical Engineers here. Am I correct to be leery of this or could it end up working well? Seems to be an even worse connection than backstabbing the outlet is. https://www.snappower.com/snaprays-guidelight/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

sirnollem posted:

I know there are a bunch of Electrical Engineers here. Am I correct to be leery of this or could it end up working well? Seems to be an even worse connection than backstabbing the outlet is. https://www.snappower.com/snaprays-guidelight/

They're UL listed and similar tagalongs have been around for a while. If you have a use for them, do it.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

$450? Jesus Christ. The stock Scion box isn't that much more expensive but I'm more worried about it breaking all over again and rinse/repeating. Sounds like a plan, reviews are saying the DC is really good quality for $150.

Also pretty happy with my new commuting bitch so far, didn't really want an automatic but it shifts pretty drat good for a probably ancient design four speed.

The DC intake I got is excellent quality. I was blown away for the price.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
What's the part number on that intake? May be able to save you a few bucks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Am I wrong for wanting to buy a CAI for my Scion because the stock airbox has two out of three broken clamps, and a used stock airbox is more expensive and will possibly break all over again? I mean, I'm not into CAIs but i can get a brand new DC on Amazon for $150 and it has great reviews, non oiled washable filter too.

[e] also my Scion has a slushbox don't judge me :colbert:

If it's truly a *cold* air intake, rather than the more common hot air intake masquerading as a performance piece, then sure, why not?

sirnollem posted:

They pull so little power I doubt there could be an issue. And I've looked at those myself. Pretty neat. Tad pricy, but I'm a cheapskate.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I'm thinking about listing my $3500ish car on Craigslist as trade for a truck. If I say I don't want weed or guns as trade ten times, how much weed will I be offered?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

monsterzero posted:

I'm thinking about listing my $3500ish car on Craigslist as trade for a truck. If I say I don't want weed or guns as trade ten times, how much weed will I be offered?

All the weed, maybe some chicken.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ExplodingSims posted:

So, in tv chat, I just learned that there's a show on by the name of Riverdale, that claims to be "A dark and mature take on the classic Archie comics!"

I, Uh, huh. Who was asking for that?
How many people even know who Archie is?

I may or may not have several boxes of Archie comics... :blush:

Enourmo posted:

Look sometimes you just need a stack of meat at 1am and all the real restaurants are closed.

For those times, there's Whataburger. Most of them are 24/7/365.

mariooncrack posted:

Have you had your ears checked out? Maybe you have a ton of earwax blockage. When I met my girlfriend, she said she was deaf in one ear due to an accident. Turns out it was just a lot of earwax and some scar tissue.

Yeah I have, they're clean. There's been a lot of concerts, raves, etc in my past, coupled with an eardrum that ruptured once.

CommieGIR posted:

I owed $65 in federal this year. I'm okay with that.

I'm waiting on one more 1099, but I'm thinking I'm going to owe about $500. Since I didn't pay any quarterly taxes, and almost all of my income was from self employment, that's fine with me. I was worried I'd owe a few thousand.

It'd be a bit lower if I'd kept better track of mileage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Welp, moving off of my current Development project onto an Operations project. Hallelujah

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

For those times, there's Whataburger. Most of them are 24/7/365.

Whataburger made a big push into central Florida around 2005, hung around for like three years, then pretty much up and vanished, can't remember when I last saw one.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How e/n is it allowed here? No mods no masters and all that. Asking for a friend.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

...you recall how many times I've used these threads as my personal therapy echo chamber right? :justpost:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Enourmo posted:

Whataburger made a big push into central Florida around 2005, hung around for like three years, then pretty much up and vanished, can't remember when I last saw one.

There's still a few.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Fast food places are all awful with awful products and like 90% of their appeal is nostalgia from when you were a kid and your parents were just too loving tired to cook or just wanted you to shut up for five minutes and eat your drat chicken nuggets.

So it's really no wonder they have trouble expanding beyond traditional geographical areas in large pushes. It has to be slow growth over decades, like a tumor, otherwise the kids that grow up with that brand aren't there to support them and prop up their awful shitburgers.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

How e/n is it allowed here? No mods no masters and all that. Asking for a friend.

Uhhhh... its a chat thread? We kinda only avoid gunchat given that's about the only thing that has turned into an unrelenting shitshow. E/N away.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Those are all centered around Jacksonville or the panhandle, Central Florida is roughly a circle centered on Orlando and extending to Tampa and Daytona.

In your terms, imagine driving to Austin for a hamburger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Go to the Jan thread and click on my posts.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Enourmo posted:

In your terms, imagine driving to Austin for a hamburger.

... I've done that.

Well, the entire trip wasn't solely for a burger, but I did want to try out Mighty Fine.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

We're cheaper (and less effective) than a therapist but I think everyone that posts with regularity is really accepting around here. Plus it's the chat thread so go bananas.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I suggest building a manual transmission Jaguar XJ as therapy: http://xcessivemanufacturing.com/index.php/jaguar.html

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

McTinkerson posted:

I suggest building a manual transmission Jaguar XJ as therapy: http://xcessivemanufacturing.com/index.php/jaguar.html

...I think I need a 2JZ manual Jaaaaaag XJ now. I mean, every hillbilly has a SBC/auto one, but a straight-6/5- or 6-speed?!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Darchangel posted:

...I think I need a 2JZ manual Jaaaaaag XJ now. I mean, every hillbilly has a SBC/auto one, but a straight-6/5- or 6-speed?!

I forgot to post the best part:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

HandlingByJebus posted:

The DC intake I got is excellent quality. I was blown away for the price.

Buddy had one on his eclipse. Was an actual cold air intake, made hilariously loud induction noises when driven hard, held up well and was cheap as gently caress.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

What did you get?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

McTinkerson posted:

I forgot to post the best part:

I was just looking through craigslist and told my wife that I wanted to buy a Jaaaag and put a big, stupid V8 in it. She said "Why don't you, you haven't done that in a while?" :(

I want to, but I don't want to spend the money. The worst of first world problems.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ugh. Dude sold the 929.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Yanno, a buddy of mine and I were joking about how if my car died I should beg my parents to let me throw winters on their porsche and how hilarious it would be for me to show up at work in it.

However, I stumbled upon this while looking for $5000 and under cars in a 150km radius of me.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/guelph/1981-porsche-928-coupe-2-door/1223705271?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I could legitimately afford to do it.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Yanno, a buddy of mine and I were joking about how if my car died I should beg my parents to let me throw winters on their porsche and how hilarious it would be for me to show up at work in it.

However, I stumbled upon this while looking for $5000 and under cars in a 150km radius of me.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/guelph/1981-porsche-928-coupe-2-door/1223705271?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Why are you here posting about it, then? Go!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

HandlingByJebus posted:

Why are you here posting about it, then? Go!

Because it is at the limit of what I can afford if I don't eat for the next 4 months, especially since my hopes of getting more than scrap for the Mazda are burning up with the coolant.

E: Assuming I don't take out some kind of loan because I want to avoid that.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 4, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

jamal posted:

What's the part number on that intake? May be able to save you a few bucks.

CAI7044, Amazon price is $146.51 with free shipping.

Thanks man, shoot me a pm if you can get one and it's not too much of a hassle for you.

CharlesM posted:

What did you get?

Ended up with a 2012 xB for a great deal from a private owner.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 4, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't feel like typing it again on mobile, so I'm going to paste my anonymous confessions post:

I've cheated on my fiancee/gf of 7 years.

She was a hoarder, and OCD. We've spent years "fixing" her; reducing the number of stacked boxes in the house, learning that you don't have to soak the dishes for exactly ten minutes before putting them in the dishwasher (hell, even using the dishwasher was verboten for the first five years), and it's okay to throw away trash. I've convinced her to get vaccinations and yearly flu shots, and to go to the dentist, both things she'd never done before.

But, I'm tired. I just turned 30 a few months back, and have no college. I'm in an okay industry right now, but I make garbage pay (48th/51 states/territores for my job) and want to move on and take the next step in my field, either through doing a 3-4 year degree program, or one of those 18-month expensive associates fast-track programs. Either way I move ahead with life.

She does nothing but hold me back. Refuses to work more than part time because it might mean losing one of her clients. Is "satisfied" with an inner-city apartment in a dangerous area. Doesn't understand that you need to pay down your credit card bills, not just pay $70/month and spend the residual $50 you get back after interest. She eats nothing but frozen pizza and spaghetti, unless I cook. And, even then, everything I cook gets a healthy coating of hot sauce or ketchup. Taste the ingredients!

I usually give up and eat garbage, and it's really hard to motivate myself to be better with a person so depressed around. We took her to the doctor for the first time in her life much earlier in 2016, and she immediately was prescribed heavy duty psych meds. She's tapered back from heavy-hitting drugs into lighter ones, like prozac, and I'm not discriminating against that. They make her sane, and things are better. An unfortunately killed sex-drive, though, but I'd rather have sanity for her over sex.

We work together on so many things, and I'm willing to do anything in the world for my fiancee. That is, except spend the rest of my life together with her. She wants kids, but knows I had a vasectomy. I had it because I could pass on a genetic condition, and was always willing to adopt, but much later in life than she wants (she wants them now, despite only paying 1/4 of the rent and me picking up 100% of the rest of the bills).

A few weeks ago, a coworker confessed that she was having husband issues. She had separated from him once before, over the summer, but had gotten back together. To her relief, her husband asked for a permanent separation right before Christmas. We were becoming good friends before that, and even did a campout where it was just the two of us. No sexytimes happened - it was more of a mental healing getaway, for both of us. Really fun, and a good night's rest. She has two younger kids (around 4), but that's fine. I'm not afraid of them, even though it's a huge change.

Last weekend, we got a hotel room together.

If I had the money, I'd leave right now. But as it is, I sit here picking up extra shifts to save emergency moving money up, and hoping the GF doesn't notice any weird texts. Whatever punishment I get from her when she discovers, I'll take. I have an RV-style vehicle to live in, say in a gym parking lot, if worst comes to worst.

The confession is, though, that I feel no guilt about what I've done, and what I will do. Life needs to move on, and we're not a good match. I feel more guilt about not feeling guilt, and don't know if that's the right thing.

Note, it's been a few weeks since. I'm moving out on the 20th or so, she doesn't know at all, and to make it worse, her birthday is the 14th and her client (in home healthcare), who is also get best friend, is dying.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
There's probably never a good time to break that news so, the sooner the better.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Fermented Tinal posted:

I'm all for hooning in the snow in a Porsche but as someone that owns a 928 I honestly can't recommend buying one. They're great but the 928 was their test platform for a lot of things so things break. Parts are for the most part available but pricing is a bit high and they aren't very friendly to work on. Also good luck finding one with a limited slip differential, especially in an automatic like that one.

Metal Geir Should that's a bad situation and will probably end pretty ugly but I can't say I blame you for wanting to move on. Good luck and I hope things work out

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Denying your child the chance to hear music is possibly the worst thing you could do as a supposedly loving parent.

This. I can understand the whole deaf culture thing but music is so amazing that I can't imagine life without it, and would be desperate to share it with my child. Hell, I am and do. My daughter has had to deal with multiple instances of me sitting her down for an hour and going through the history of one band/artist/genre just so she really gets it. The cool part is that as she gets older, even though she protests at first, she appreciates it. Last year I made her listen to Pink Floyd The Wall from start to end and as we got to "goodbye cruel world" she was so involved in the story she actually gasped and went "OH NO!" and started to choke up. It was an amazing experience, and I'm not even a big Pink Floyd fan, but I appreciate what a landmark album that is.

Other "sermons" she's had to deal with:

Best of Depeche Mode
Michael Jackson and how amazing talent can come from a really hosed up life.
Janet Jackson with Paula Abdul side trip
The evolution of Rap from rappers delight into Gangster Rap into modern rap
White people trying to steal rap
Best of Crowded House
I was a Christian in high school so that's why I listened to Stryper, now you have to too.
Epic rock songs of the 60's/70's (Stairway to Heaven, Iron Man, Pinball Wizard, Baba O'Riley, Dust in the Wind, etc etc etc)
The drummer for Def Leppard only has one arm!
Boy bands are a marketing gimmick for dumb young girls, just look how the formula never changes. No you weren't supposed to like it and I won't buy you Justin Timberlake paraphernalia.
Butt rock of the 80's, Oh great now you're a Cinderella fan.
Grunge of the 90's
When I first heard of Die Antwoord I thought it was a joke but god drat look at some of what they do now.
Why Insane Clown Posse should be harvested for their bacon and then discarded (Fuckin magnets! How do they work? is a running gag between us).

In addition to that I continue to discover good music, I buy 30-40 new albums every year. And I share it all with her, she has over 5000 tracks on her iphone that she genuinely appreciates, all from the last decade.

And I will do these things till I die.

my anonymous confessions post:

Sorry to hear that, although I'm a firm believer in getting out when you know you want to get out. From what I know of you here you're a good guy and I think you deserve to be happy. I think morally it would have been best to move out before starting poo poo with someone new but life is messy and it happens when it happens, it's understandable. We're only human after all. (ooo, level 42 reference, one of the greatest one hit wonders of the 80's! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPHHkerFwgM )

Good luck with the breakup, quick and clean is the way to go.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 4, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Thanks. Yeah, from the moment I say anything, I'm giving myself 24 hours to go, and whatever is left behind is left behind. And I feel like poo poo cheating. No sex since February was rough, but also not an excuse for cheating. Nothing is :smith:

E: def won't tell about the cheating. That would be needless salt into the wound. As said, I'll just have to live with that on my own.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 4, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The confession is, though, that I feel no guilt about what I've done, and what I will do.
Good. Don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

That's a pretty brutal situation overall MGS. Yeah, you shoulda left before you cheated though because that poo poo can gently caress someone up. When an ex cheated on me it slammed me right in the sadbrains and I was in a pretty dark place for over a year. I dunno what you're planning but if you can get away with it, don't tell her that. Just don't. Tell her anything else. Suffer the guilt on your own and consider it penance.

That requisite scolding over, I have been on your side of things too... uncannily similar to my last relationship of 3yrs. The mental/health issues, the extremely picky eating, the OCD, no sex for the last 9 months, all of it and much more. I woke up one morning and realized how unhappy I was, and how I wasn't helping her anymore - instead I had become an enabler who shut his mouth backed down to avoid conflict. She was unwilling or unable to meet me halfway on the few things I tried to stand up for myself in. It was horrible - I found myself increasingly attracted to other women but I couldn't bring myself to leave her for things she couldn't help. Finally one day she threw this tantrum/ultimatum re: starting a family in the next X months and that was the open door. I took it. The thought of bringing a pregnancy and child into what our life had become was unthinkable. It's a horrible situation man, and I feel for you. I'm still dealing with my own emotions and thoughts in the wake.

You're welcome to PM me if you wanna shriek into the void about anything.

• Locked thread