Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

The Gunslinger posted:

The new Shield update is pretty cool. I can finally put Netflix in the apps row and the Nvidia row of stuff is in my Games section with my emulators and other crap. With Amazon Video, Netflix, Plex/Kodi and the NFL app I've now got everything I need in an STB, very happy with my setup.

I will look into OTA stuff if my girlfriend complains about missing her wedding shows but for now I can finally just kick back and enjoy having way too much content and not enough time to watch it.

I think when it/Live Channels finally gets DVR for OTA it will become the ultimate cord-cutting box. The ability to watch and record local shows with a very nice UI combined with the huge number of streaming services it supports, not to mention games, is killer, and it's drat near there now.

Since Live Channels works with the "recommended" row (as will DVR'd programs, if what I am reading in the API spec is correct) I could even see that becoming useful one day as the "all in one place" guide it clearly was intended to be. Right now it isn't all that useful, at least to me, but if they made a grid-style guide out of it Google and Nvidia will have done what everyone including Apple (even with their recent update) has failed at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
It's DTVNow coming to the Shield any time soon?

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Ixian posted:

I think when it/Live Channels finally gets DVR for OTA it will become the ultimate cord-cutting box. The ability to watch and record local shows with a very nice UI combined with the huge number of streaming services it supports, not to mention games, is killer, and it's drat near there now.

Since Live Channels works with the "recommended" row (as will DVR'd programs, if what I am reading in the API spec is correct) I could even see that becoming useful one day as the "all in one place" guide it clearly was intended to be. Right now it isn't all that useful, at least to me, but if they made a grid-style guide out of it Google and Nvidia will have done what everyone including Apple (even with their recent update) has failed at.

I must have misunderstood what the new update for the Shield actually offered, because I tried out a Hauppauge USB TV tuner that works on a XboxOne and I couldn't figure out how to actually watch TV on the thing. Looking around, it appears it's not supported quite yet? Are the only options to watch OTA channels on it by using a external tuner like HDHomeRun or Tablo still?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

It's DTVNow coming to the Shield any time soon?

No announcement yet. I haven't seen a timeframe for Android TV, period from them.

Which is just as well, because DTVNow is poo poo. I got an Apple TV with mine, which I wanted for my parents anyway so it has essentially been a free 3 month trial but holy hell is it garbage.

Belle Isle Tech posted:

I must have misunderstood what the new update for the Shield actually offered, because I tried out a Hauppauge USB TV tuner that works on a XboxOne and I couldn't figure out how to actually watch TV on the thing. Looking around, it appears it's not supported quite yet? Are the only options to watch OTA channels on it by using a external tuner like HDHomeRun or Tablo still?

You need an external tuner, yes. The Shield doesn't natively support USB OTA tuners as far as I am aware.

You are better off with an external network tuner anyway in most cases, unless your only network option is sub-par wifi.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TheScott2K posted:

On an AppleTV, an HDHomerun, assuming it's an ATV4. On a Fire Stick, nothing. It can't decode MPEG2 and the HDHomerun with a built in transcoder comes with a very real quality hit on full frame rate content like news and sports.

HDHR on my FTV Kodi works well enough FWIW. This thread has sang the praises of Channels on the ATV though.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ixian posted:

No announcement yet. I haven't seen a timeframe for Android TV, period from them.

Which is just as well, because DTVNow is poo poo. I got an Apple TV with mine, which I wanted for my parents anyway so it has essentially been a free 3 month trial but holy hell is it garbage.

I always hear people call dtv now garbage, but idk why. I never have trouble streaming. Poke a show, watch the show.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ixian posted:

I agree. My kids like it because you can play Crossy Road on it, but I'd probably trade it for another Shield TV.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

I always hear people call dtv now garbage, but idk why. I never have trouble streaming. Poke a show, watch the show.

Seems to depend on what CDN you're near. I've had near flawless performance but some people are reporting serious, ongoing daily issues.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

TraderStav posted:

HDHR on my FTV Kodi works well enough FWIW. This thread has sang the praises of Channels on the ATV though.

"Well enough"

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

"Well enough"

Yes, it is good enough but not a perfect experience. I'm not ready to say it's wife ready without a tutorial for its quirks but overall I never have issue watching anything in good quality. If you don't have an ATV or want to drop the coin for one the fire stick will work "well enough" for the price.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Honestly if there's a tuner built into the TV I'd take properly-handled MPEG2 and the TV Guide app over that.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Honestly if there's a tuner built into the TV I'd take properly-handled MPEG2 and the TV Guide app over that.

No doubt. But I was an idiot and picked up a super thin flush mount for my plasma. Accidentally snapped off the coax input so this is my only option!!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

No doubt. But I was an idiot and picked up a super thin flush mount for my plasma. Accidentally snapped off the coax input so this is my only option!!

Your other option would be to get that fixed - a Mom & Pop TV repair shop would do it for like $20, or if it is the screwed-on motherboard kind (or solder, if you are handy with a solder gun) you can do it yourself.

If that is your only/primary TV then using the built in tuner and the TV Guide app like TheScott2k suggests is going to be way better than what you are doing with the FTV.

Or ditch the FTV and get a Shield. Live Channels is the best OTA app outside of Apple TV, bar none, and should soon have DVR features as well.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Repair shops can do a pretty surprising amount of work to modern TVs. A busted coax input would be right up their alley.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

Repair shops can do a pretty surprising amount of work to modern TVs. A busted coax input would be right up their alley.

Busted coax they could probably do on the spot. It would take longer to get it there and back than it would to fix it. If it just snapped off the solder points (which I would guess is exactly what happened) someone handy could correct it in about 2 minutes.

I've soldered lots of broken stuff, most recently the USB port on an older Harmony remote of my brother in laws that his kids broke while it was charging. It's really not hard at all.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Not a bad suggestion and I have a local shop that would probably be perfect. Not fancying pulling the TV down and lugging it in, but you're forcing me out of my comfy lazy spot appropriately.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess I'm on a good CDN, because DirecTV NOW is rock solid and has way better picture quality than my Comcast cable. (I'm switching to RCN gigabit and not getting TV service.)

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Endless Mike posted:

I guess I'm on a good CDN, because DirecTV NOW is rock solid and has way better picture quality than my Comcast cable. (I'm switching to RCN gigabit and not getting TV service.)

I've been using Directv Now a fair amount and I agree, it's pretty rock solid.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Yeah, in the last 2 weeks suddenly the on-demand streaming works perfectly for basically everything, and overall the streaming is suddenly hiccup free and rock solid.

Really glad we opted in early and locked in that cheap rate.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, in the last 2 weeks suddenly the on-demand streaming works perfectly for basically everything, and overall the streaming is suddenly hiccup free and rock solid.

Really glad we opted in early and locked in that cheap rate.

I still have my standard Directv service (until I can get local OTA/wife sorted) but called and got the rate dropped by over $100/month. I only have it on 2 tv's now but that's fine and the kids can use NOW in their rooms and they've had no complaints.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wandler20 posted:

I still have my standard Directv service (until I can get local OTA/wife sorted) but called and got the rate dropped by over $100/month. I only have it on 2 tv's now but that's fine and the kids can use NOW in their rooms and they've had no complaints.

I just discovered ESCAPE on OTA (channel 60.3 out of Chicago). It's all shows like Snapped, American Greed, Forensic Files, FBI Files, all true crime shows from the 90s and '00s. It's the perfect channel to haven the background as I'm doing other stuff. It's SD, so it's 3:4 aspect, but it's crystal clear signal.

Anyone find other hidden gems buried in their OTA in your area?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

flosofl posted:

I just discovered ESCAPE on OTA (channel 60.3 out of Chicago). It's all shows like Snapped, American Greed, Forensic Files, FBI Files, all true crime shows from the 90s and '00s. It's the perfect channel to haven the background as I'm doing other stuff. It's SD, so it's 3:4 aspect, but it's crystal clear signal.

I really like Bounce, which shows a lot of reruns of 90s Fox sitcoms like Martin and Roc. They also have a yearly showing of King: A Filmed Record every MLK Day.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheScott2K posted:

I really like Bounce, which shows a lot of reruns of 90s Fox sitcoms like Martin and Roc. They also have a yearly showing of King: A Filmed Record every MLK Day.

They showed Roots a few months ago and it was the first time I had ever seen it

American Sports Network shows old episodes of Ring of Honor Wrestling from circa-2012

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My low end 24" LG is picking up more antenna channels than my brand new Samsung. Same antenna. Hell, even my old 40" Samsung picked up the station I want. CBS out of LA.

It's been a finicky station, but I have the antenna aimed right and the other TVs get it, but the new TV doesn't like it.

The absurd thing is I did another channel scan and I picked up Fox out of San Diego clear as day. I shouldn't really be able to get those, not with this $40 Amazon basics flat powered antenna.

Any ideas how I can improve my signal to this one TV for this one station? Bigger antenna? Signal booster?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

My low end 24" LG is picking up more antenna channels than my brand new Samsung. Same antenna. Hell, even my old 40" Samsung picked up the station I want. CBS out of LA.

It's been a finicky station, but I have the antenna aimed right and the other TVs get it, but the new TV doesn't like it.

The absurd thing is I did another channel scan and I picked up Fox out of San Diego clear as day. I shouldn't really be able to get those, not with this $40 Amazon basics flat powered antenna.

Any ideas how I can improve my signal to this one TV for this one station? Bigger antenna? Signal booster?

Antenna amps don't boost signal in the way many people think they do. They are really meant to mitigate signal loss caused by long cables or splitters, etc. in the local signal chain. I.e. if you have a cable running up to the attic or roof and split it off to multiple locations, that would be a good candidate.

Putting one on a short cable in between your TV and an indoor antenna may actually add too much noise to the signal and hurt rather than help. Depending on the signal, antenna, and location it may help with some stations; we're talking OTA here so every situation is going to be a unique so hard to say.

As you have discovered not every tuner built in to a TV is made equal either. You could try to normalize the problem by going with an external tuner - there are still a lot of DTV tuners floating around from back when the US gave them away (literally) during the HDTV transition a decade or so ago. You could probably get a good one for under $30 that is also better than anything built in to a TV...but then you'd have that to deal with.

First thing I'd do is try to re-position your antenna, particularly since you have it indoors. If that is impractical next step would be replace it with a better one.

Visit https://www.antennaweb.org/ and put in your zip code, etc. and it will show you the stations all around you and what types of antennas (and placement) they recommend.

OTA can take a lot of fiddling to get working correctly.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I do have the older version of this https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Ultra-Thin-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B00X4RAEZC and it's in my attic. Well, my lower attic, I could go up another floor, but I'm mostly uninhibited between here and the LA towers, which are about right on the 50 mile end of the range. I was getting 120+ channels, except CBS. Will moving up to an antenna in the $100+ range make that much of a difference? I was already getting the one San Diego station, which is 65 miles away. Maybe a combination of a bigger antenna and going all the way up?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you already have attic access just get this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D...u7zL&ref=plSrch

I'm about 30 miles from LA towers and pick up about 170 channels with it.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die

Endless Mike posted:

I haven't had any trouble with DTN service, but the UI is garbage. Vue beats it by a mile.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Worth mentioning that the new HDHomeRun app has launched for the Fire TV.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSBCRDY

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

Worth mentioning that the new HDHomeRun app has launched for the Fire TV.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSBCRDY

Very nice. Any reports on how it's working? Better or same as Kodi version?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I'm not quite sure what I should be even asking about for this problem.

On Roku Premiere, the Hulu app displays properly for hi-def, widescreen video. However, most 4:3 standard def comes out...odd. It's like it's stretched vertically but within a 4:3 aspect ratio centered on the screen.

No video problems with any other app (Sling, Netflix, Amazon) and standard def video. Just Hulu.

Thoughts?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

If you already have attic access just get this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D...u7zL&ref=plSrch

I'm about 30 miles from LA towers and pick up about 170 channels with it.

I took your advice, I get about the same amount of channels - but no ABC for some reason. I've re-aimed this thing like 5 times.

Maybe I need to power it, or move it higher.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I took your advice, I get about the same amount of channels - but no ABC for some reason. I've re-aimed this thing like 5 times.

Maybe I need to power it, or move it higher.

So you get CBS now, but lost ABC? Weird.

Are you aiming it via http://tvfool.com/ or a similar service?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

So you get CBS now, but lost ABC? Weird.

Are you aiming it via http://tvfool.com/ or a similar service?

Some app called TV Antenna Helper Free. It makes a compass that points to the tower locations.

Edit TV Fool puts everything at about 330 degrees. That app has it at about 318. I'll reroute the antenna and see.

Edit 2 - up to 102 channels from 95. Still no ABC. Gonna mess with it more tomorrow.

Edit 3 - my other TV is picking up ABC no problem. Very weird.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 4, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Grab a boostxt preamp. They are at home depot or Lowe's. Made by winegaurd. Also don't be afraid to tilt the antenna up or down

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I scanned again this morning, got 110 channels including ABC. Must be the weather.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Don Lapre posted:

Grab a boostxt preamp. They are at home depot or Lowe's. Made by winegaurd. Also don't be afraid to tilt the antenna up or down
I swear by this thing if your channels are just barely dropping out. Go big and get the Winegard LNA-200 and not the 100 though.

flosofl posted:

Comet is pretty fun. Sure you can find most of the same content in HD online streaming services but it's cool to flip on Star Trek TOS just randomly and for free.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ok, I've finally experienced a problem with DirecTV Now. Sometimes I'll lose a color and the screen will shift to the right when coming back from an ad while watching an on demand show. It just trips up when switching video modes I guess.

This with a Chromecast Ultra plugged into the 4k 60hz input on a Vizio. Has anyone seen this? The issue persists when exiting the app.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RZA Encryption posted:

Ok, I've finally experienced a problem with DirecTV Now. Sometimes I'll lose a color and the screen will shift to the right when coming back from an ad while watching an on demand show. It just trips up when switching video modes I guess.

This with a Chromecast Ultra plugged into the 4k 60hz input on a Vizio. Has anyone seen this? The issue persists when exiting the app.

I haven't seen that (yet).

The biggest frustration I have with DTVN is the feed will freeze after about an hour or so. I then have to swipe left or right (Apple TV), which ends up taking me to A&E, regardless of the channel I was watching. Then I select the channel from the guide and all is well until I inevitably have the same thing happen an hour or so later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Has anyone here tried an AirTV? The specs looks pretty decent for $99, with hard wired ethernet and a remote finder as well while using Android TV.

https://www.airtv.net/

https://www.groundedreason.com/airtv/

Ports: 2 USB, 100 Mb Ethernet, TOSLINK digital audio, HDMI
Supports up to 4k UHD video
Supports 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz Wifi g/n/ac
CPU: quad core A53 @ 1.2Ghz RAM: 1GB Onboard Storage: 8GB

As much as I'd like getting another Shield TV, I wonder if this will fit the bill. I almost got the Mi Box, but I don't want to use wireless.