Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

FALSE ALARM: 09/14/2030, 14:06

I hope the school's okay...
I'm sure it is. At the least, I don't think it's been blasted to bits.
I sure hope so...

And as they had that conversation, the bus dropped them off in front of school, but--

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

The grounds were awfully silent. The commotion seemed to have died down already.

Was there really a dangerous object set here?
There was an announcement to that effect at least. We don't know the particulars eith--

As Salyu began to speak, they heard an angry voice coming from somewhere.

Hey! You kids!
Ah, Professor!

They looked to see Ena rushing over to them.

Geez. Don't go off and do things on your own. You had me worried.
I-I'm sorry, Ms. Ena! It's my fault...
Oh, why hello there, Ms. Toba. Didn't you have a cold or something?
Um, no, it wasn't that... just some minor business.
You can't take school off for just some minor business.
S—sorry.

Mashiro quietly bowed her head.

By the way, Professor, what happened with all the commotion about the dangerous object?
Oh, seems like it was just a false alarm.
A false alarm?
There was something that looked like a time bomb set in one of the bathrooms... but it turned out to just be a toy.
A toy? What does that all mean?
I don't know... Somebody's bad idea of a prank, perhaps. Incidents like this seem to be happening a lot lately, though... It's so troublesome...

Ena didn't seem to know the entire truth behind the situation either.

I see... then I guess that means there's no point in us staying here too long, then. Let's go, guys.
Huh?

Mashiro pulled Natsuhiko and Salyu by the arm and ran off. Ena shouted in surprise from behind.

H-hey, where do you three think you're going!? Classes are starting back up again, so don't just walk away!
Sorry! Just some minor business!
Like I just said, minor business is not an acceptable excuse to skip class! Hey!

Her voice eventually faded away into the distance.

H-hey, Mashiro! What do you think you're doing!?
Um, Mashiro, you're hurting my arm.

Once Natsuhiko and Salyu finally complained, Mashiro stopped and answered.

It doesn't matter. Tomorrow's Sunday, anyway. So any lingering agitation will have abated by the start of next week. I mean, Ms. Ena IS soft on Natsuhiko after all.
Hey...!

But even if they returned to school now, they'd only make it back in time for sixth period at best anyway. Ena's impressions bothered him just a little bit-- but Natsuhiko set that aside and instead turned to Mashiro.

Well, fine... so, what? What do you want us to do since you dragged us away with you?
...Well, actually, if it's okay with you... I really want you guys to help me with the search for terrorists.
Huh!?
It doesn't look like I can get you to believe me, but... I don't want to just sit by and watch as a possible crisis befalls on the city I live in.
But even if there actually are terrorists, it'd be hard for us to stop them on our own, wouldn't it?
True. But just because something 'looks impossible' doesn't mean it's okay to sit by and do nothing, does it?

Salyu gasped. Perhaps she was thinking those words resembled what Natsuhiko had told her earlier. Mashiro's words made Natsuhiko reconsider his own thoughts slightly as well.

(I guess words really can't persuade, her, huh...)

But if he were to leave Mashiro as is, she would probably just start acting on her own. Even if there weren't any terrorists, Natsuhiko had to admit that he'd worry about Mashiro if he let her out of his sight.

(Fine... I guess I'll play along with Mashiro until she's satisfied.) Okay, Mashiro... if you're going to so far as to say all that, I'll help you out.
Huh!? R-really!?
On the one condition that it'll just be for today for now. I'll consider what I'll do tomorrow when tomorrow comes.
That's more than good enough for me, Natsuhiko!

Mashiro finally smiled.

What about you, Salyu?
... I cannot recommend something as dangerous as searching for terrorists. But if you say so, Natsuhiko, then fine... I'll help too.
You too, Salyu!? Yay, I'm so happy! Thanks so much, you two! It was so discouraging to do it alone!

She's so selfish-- Natsuhiko thought with a wry smile.

Okay, then where sh0uld we head next?
Hmm, where should we...? The first thing that bothers me is that the bomb threat at school was a false alarm. Doesn't that strike you as strange? It makes me worry about the reality of the other incidents, too.
Other incidents?
You know, all that commotion that's been going on in town lately, like those fires, or the objectionable literature.

Natsuhiko recalled the news he heard several days before.

Newscaster: Last night, a fire broke out at the 'BC Development Center', a research facility in Rokumei City. Six research buildings burned down.

Come to think of it, didn't Ena just say that there were many similar incidents happening lately?
In that case, we should try asking the people who've been targeted. Which place got the objectionable literature again?
Pretty sure it was the BC Training Center.
Okay! Then let's head right on over there!
Huh...? But that's a little far.
What, it's not -that- far a distance! C'mon, let's go!

Mashiro ran off again, nearly dragging the other two behind her. Towards the BC Training Center, situated in the heart of the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Mashiro. Mashiro there is this thing called public transit I know you have heard of it you've been on it. Mashiro.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Mashiro is real into cardio, okay?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
DANGIT MASHIRO this is not like your animes you cannot go back in time and save Natsuhiko from whatever it is that made him shut off his BC stuff only Yuuri can do that and it's not even actual time travel also she is a ghost.

Good on you for exercise though!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Plot twist: Exercise is the key to unlocking BC powers. Natsuhiko's had trouble with them because he's a scrawny nerd.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

''Q'': 09/14/2030, 14:39

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

It was a sort of gym provided for people who wished to hone their BC skills. The three of them stopped a man about to enter the building to ask him about the objectionable literature.

Trainer: Huh, the content of the objectionable literature?
Yes. We just want to know a bit about it.

He was a trainer for the center who seemed to be in his early 20s. The trainer looked at the kids suspiciously.

Trainer: Before that, what are you kids? Some junior detective team?
Yes! Something like that. We're allies of justice moving through town to protect the peace of all its citizens.
Trainer: Hmm, I didn't think there were still kids that played games like that. Well, you kids are cute, so I'll give it to you easy. Just don't tell anyone else, okay?

He looked at Mashiro and Salyu and spoke with a broad grin on his face.

Trainer: Well, I guess it basically went like this: 'Participate in any further proliferation of BC and punishment shall be bestowed upon you.' What a stiff and humorless guy, eh. They stuffed the postbox with that message. By the way, I was the first to find it. Man, was it ridiculous.
Huh... so you mean you didn't feel any sort of sense of impending crisis?
Trainer: Like hell I did. Well, I did send a report to the security department, I guess. But that just backfired and caused a disturbance on its own.

As she heard the trainer's story, Mashiro whispered into Natsuhiko's ear.

So it really was an anti-BC letter then...
Yeah, I guess...

As the two of them were having that private discussion, this time Salyu asked a question.

The report caused a disturbance?
Trainer: Well, you see, those guys at the security department pressed in in droves. For our 'defense', apparently.
But it was just objectionable literature. Did it really warrant that much of a disturbance?
Trainer: Well, I can't say I don't understand where the security department was coming from. After all, the objectionable literature was signed--

Q!?

Mashiro shook as she heard that letter.

What's wrong, Mashiro? Why the sudden outburst?
What's Q?
Trainer: Woah, woah, have you kids been living under a rock? They're infamous on the net, you know?
Well, I don't really use the net that much...
...I'll explain it to you guys later. Anyway, Mr. Trainer, did Q do anything afterwards?
Trainer: Beats me. But I doubt those Q freaks would bother targeting a facility as shabby as this. It could've just been some sort of imitator.

The way he spoke about Q made them seem like some giant sort of organization. As Natsuhiko fell into confused silence, the trainer continued.

Trainer: Well, that's about all I can talk about. The security department rounded up all the objectionable literature, so it's no longer here.
I see... Well, thank you very much.
Trainer: So long, my allies of justice.

And with that, the trainer entered the building. Leaving Natsuhiko and Salyu to quickly ask Mashiro the pressing question.

So, Mashiro. What was that all about? What was... Kyuu, was it?
Well, you see, Q is...

Mashiro made a meek face as she explained the organization to Natsuhiko and Salyu.

Q is the largest domestic extremist organization that operates on anti-Communicator sentiments. They're apparently a dangerous group whose activities include bomb threats and coercion. And depending on the situation, they don't hesitate to use direct action.
...An organization like that exists?

He obviously knew of the existence of anti-BC protest groups and ideology. But he had never heard of an organization that operated at a level dangerous enough to be called extremists and terrorists.

Well, I guess it's understandable to not have heard of them... I mean, it's not the most searchable of names.
But they do exist for certain though, right?
Yeah... it would make sense if the voice I heard on the bus was that of a Q member. A dangerous thought like 'ending this town's history' certainly is something that Q would agree with.
You say that, but have there been any concrete instances of them performing any destructive acts?
There have. I mean...

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

I'm sure you've seen the aftermath of one such incident yourself, Natsuhiko.
Huh!?
It's a little far, but why don't we head over there?

Natsuhiko pondered that question for a second before nodding. Chills running down his spine the whole time--

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Actually, Q refers to someone else. The terrorist organization is named Sean.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Explosions posted:

Actually, Q refers to someone else. The terrorist organization is named Sean.

God loving damnit.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

CITY SCARS: 09/14/2030, 15:12

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

Soot still clung to the site in places, and shards of glass were scattered about everywhere.

This is the Old Rokumei City Hospital Ruins... As I said before, it's the remains of Q's destructive activity.
This...

This was a place that Natsuhiko certainly did remember. When he was young, he had come here with Yuuri and Mashiro on a dare.

Remember now, Natsuhiko?
Yeah... though at the time I didn't realize this place had that kind of story behind it...
Why is was it burned this badly?

Mashiro took one look around the burned vestiges before answering.

Long ago, this was the biggest hospital in the city. All the citizens were familiar with it. But one night 16 years ago... it was set on fire. And the ones who set the fire were said to be Q members. It was the first incident they had caused.
Did they catch the criminal?
Yeah... at least the one that set fire to this place.
What do you mean 'at least'?
There wasn't just one criminal. Dozens of fires went off in the city at the same time that night. They're still not sure if they caught all of the criminals. That incident has come to be called 'The Great Rokumei City Arson'.
The Great Rokumei City Arson...

Natsuhiko faintly remembered hearing about that incident before. Unfortunately, all he remembered was that such a thing had happened. Since there were so many victims in that incident, it was not an easy subject to breach. Furthermore, Natsuhiko never considered actively attempting to research it.

...But Mashiro, how do you know this was the work of Q?
It was simple enough to find out with a short net search last night. So what I'm about to say might just be secondhand information from the net, but-- Q apparently formed around that time. Since there were many Communicators in the city at the time... it was an obvious target for them.
Did they already call themselves such a weird name back then?
No. The first name Q took was the Anti-BC League. Anti-BC League members were arrested for the Great Rokumei City Arson, but... Apparently it wasn't until after those members were discharged from prison that they began to call themselves Q. The reason and origin behind the name are still unknown, though.
I see... But the old name sounds more terrorist-like to me, though.
In any case, Mashiro, if the fires happened over 16 years ago, why hasn't this building been demolished yet?
Someone probably didn't want it to be demolished... someone who didn't want the effects of the incident to fade away.

They looked around. Sure enough, the place looked like a scene frozen in time. It had probably been left alone as-is for 16 years. And yet the incident gradually faded away from the public's mind, and likely nobody ever visited anymore.

...What happened with Q afterwards?
There are rumors that they target areas with high Communicator populations and have conducted several destructive activities. There was the Sarubetsu City BC Laboratory Explosion 12 years ago. The Shichiseidai Parapsychology Department Arson 11 years ago. The Ushioi City Hall Siege 9 years ago. The Enkuu City Anthrax Incident 7 years ago. The Koganehama Arsenic Water Purification Plant Poisoning 6 years ago...
Q was behind all of those!?

Natsuhiko was surprised. He had heard about all of those incidents on the morning news. However, none of those incidents were reported as terrorism.

The information on the net had a bunch of ambiguous parts, but that's what it all pointed to at least.
...On the net, huh.

Natsuhiko never really liked the internet. He didn't quite understand why himself-- but if he had to describe it, it would probably be because of the apparent abundance of dubious information like what Mashiro was talking about.

At any rate, if such a nasty organization actually existed, you'd think I'd at least hear about them once...
It's only normal that you wouldn't know the name of an extremist organization. Japan has had many different extremist organizations in the past, but you can't name a single one, can you?
No, but Q's different, right? You can't say their actions would be totally unrelated to us, can you? Their existence would be important for people of this town especially to know about.

Mashiro made a complicated expression as Natsuhiko said this.

No, it's quite the opposite, actually. This town deliberately neglects to report on incidents involving Q.
Why's that?
The reason appears to be 'to not cause serious public anxiety'. Q constantly conducts destructive activities targeting Communicators... If that truth were widely reported on, what kind of impression do you think it'd leave on all the Communicators living here?
...!

It would obviously cause a state of panic. It could very well strain tensions between Communicators and ordinary people.

Ever since we were born, we've been living in the protective Communicator shelter that is this city, so we've never had to keep it in mind-- But areas outside this city apparently report Q's wrongdoings as-is. Strife between Communicators and ordinary people still seems to be deep-rooted. ...And I think that's why Rokumei City's population has grown recently. Perhaps Communicators are moving in to avoid persecution and terrorism.

That last statement jogged Natsuhiko's memory. --Ten years ago, when Yuuri moved into Rokumei City. When he had asked her why she moved at the time, she said it was ''because they measured my BC 'attitude' and found out it was Rank C''. Natsuhiko had thought that she simply meant that they had moved to Rokumei City because of its tax and education benefits for Communicators, but--

(That wasn't it...? Was she persecuted in another town or felt threatened by acts of terrorism, and that's why they escaped to Rokumei City!?)

Even as recently as 10 years ago, understanding of Communicators was still insufficient. So it wasn't any stretch of the imagination to believe that Yuuri's family did indeed seek refuge in Rokumei.

(I can't believe that's what the outside world is like...)

Even though Natsuhiko had only heard half of the story, Mashiro's sense of impending danger was gradually getting through to him. But in addition to his fear-- he felt doubt about something else.

...But don't you find something odd then? If they're that fearsome an organization, then why were these last incidents so half-baked?
Half-baked?
I mean the dangerous object at school and the objectionable literature at the training center only caused temporary panic before things quickly returned to normal, right?
...True. It did seem like they were merely trying to get a rise out of the people.
Did they just cause meaningless panic so they could watch and laugh somewhere? For what purpose?

Mashiro had no answer. Natsuhiko looked around the burned ruins and spoke.

Say, Mashiro... maybe you really are just overthinking things?
Overthinking?
I get the feeling that the trainer guy was right. That the last few cases were just the work of people pretending to be Q.
Natsuhiko, don’t tell me... you really don't believe me?
No, I do believe you. It's just--

Natsuhiko hesitated for a second.

Would a terrorist really talk about 'ending the town's history' loud enough for someone else to hear on a bus?
...!
It seems way too over the top. If you were seriously going to attempt terrorism, you wouldn't want to let your plan out of the bag, would you?
True. I agree. I was sitting next to you and yet I didn't hear anything.
...That's... B-but! I did hear it, I swear!

Mashiro spoke in a strong tone of voice. Her obstinacy seemed suspicious to Natsuhiko.

...Say, Mashiro... you're not hiding anything from us by any chance, are you? Is there some other reason you believe there's a terrorist plot and you're just not telling us?
!!

Mashiro's eyes widened.

N-no, of course not!

That reaction alone was enough to convince Natsuhiko. She was indeed hiding something.

...Mashiro, I'm just worried about you. If there's anything on your mind, let's talk it out.
...There's nothing, okay?
Of course there's something. Is there a reason you just can't talk about it...!?

For some reason, Mashiro's eyes were tinged with fear. For the ten long years he had known her, Natsuhiko had never seen such an expression on her face before.

(Why's she so...!?)

But as if to interrupt his thoughts-- Salyu muttered.

Was what you heard not the man's voice, but his 'mental voice'?
!!

Mashiro gasped and looked at Salyu.

Salyu!? What makes you say that!?
If it was his mental voice you heard, then I would understand why you would be so adamant in your belief.
Wh~what are you saying...? There's no way I could...!

Contrary to her words, Mashiro was clearly caught off guard by the question. It wasn't that she seemed surprised to hear completely unexpected words-- it was more like Salyu had hit the nail on the head. Even though Mashiro's ability was supposedly limited to telepathy only...!

H-hold on a second! What's the meaning of this, Mashiro!? Don't tell me you-- You can actually use empathy!?
Answer me! Can you use it or not!?

Mashiro fell silent for a little while-- But eventually, she muttered in resignation.

Y... yeah.
S-since when!?
...I'm sorry I kept quiet about it... I've actually been able to use it for years.
Years...!?

Natsuhiko's mind drew a blank at the unexpected timeframe. A trembling voice spilled out of his mouth.

Th-then the reason you believe there's a terrorist plot...!
...It's exactly as Salyu said. When we were on the bus, I heard the mental voice of a terrorist.

Now that her secret was out, Mashiro voluntarily spoke about the next topic.

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Yeah...
And while we were talking, someone standing a little bit ahead turned and looked at us. He was staring straight at us.
I didn't notice... But why?
I don't know. He was covering his face with sunglasses and a hat, so I couldn't read his expression. But he looked quite older than us, so I was afraid he might've been a pervert targeting Salyu, so... I knew it was wrong of me, but... I used empathy on him. And then I heard his mental voice. For a moment, it was gentle... It said 'Man, hearing this really brings me back'.
Hearing this really brings me back...? What's that supposed to mean?
I don't know. But for just a second, his heart was apparently open to us. ...The problem is what came after that. Right after that, he seemed to reconsider himself and thought this instead:

And then I heard a bunch of fragmented phrases-- 'Communicators are an abomination.' '...have to put an end to this town's history.' 'Hold on just a few more days.' 'Don't open your heart to anybody.' 'work under the assumption.' 'this is a city full of monsters.' And then he shut his heart and I couldn't hear his mental voice anymore...

I felt his 'malice' and his 'resolve' to seriously commit terrorism...!

Natsuhiko gulped upon hearing Mashiro's story all the way through.

S-so... what happened then?
Well... he soon got off the bus, so I don't know what happened after that... Just like how we talked about it last night, I thought I was just overthinking it, but I just couldn't get the last half of those words out of my ears...! It just kept frightening me more and more...!
...So that's why you tried to talk with me, huh.

Mashiro nodded quietly. It certainly would be odd for someone besides an actual terrorist to think those thoughts. It was hard to believe he merely hated Communicators if he were taking precautions against having his mind read in such an everyday situation. The countdown of ''just a few more days'' also gave a sinister sense of legitimacy.

...But Mashiro, why didn't you just tell the truth to begin with? Why hide that you heard his mental voice?
True. Then we could have avoided all this confusion.
How could I just up and talk about it!? Natsuhiko, you've been afraid of empathy, haven't you!?
Huh...!?
I've had enough of my friends turning on me because of BC...!

Now that she mentioned it, Natsuhiko did remember the conversation they had a few days ago.

Natsuhiko, you're the type who fears having their mind read too, aren't you?
Well, yeah... sure, there may be some people who are okay with the notion, but I find it frightening.

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

Natsuhiko finally realized just how oblivious he had been. Mashiro was probably trying all this time just to tell Natsuhiko she could use empathy. But she was afraid of how he would react, so she had kept it a secret locked up in her heart.

...I'm sorry, Mashiro. I never even imagined. Even though both of us have already lost friends because of BC...
No, it's okay... I'm sorry I've been deceiving you all this time...

Natsuhiko and Mashiro apologized to each other. It was quite a surprising development-- but Natsuhiko somehow managed to come to terms with the truth. After all, since they both had similar experiences, he understood Mashiro's feelings painfully well. But Salyu on the other hand calmly piled more questions onto Mashiro.

Mashiro. When you sent in a report to the police, what did you tell them?
I thought hard about how I should do it, but... I told them the truth. That I heard his mental voice through empathy. But they wouldn't believe me. They said that terrorists wouldn't open their hearts to other people. Same thing when I reported it to the security department. I mean, they do have a point, but... You guys believe me, right...?

Her eyes were tinged with anxiety. It broke Natsuhiko's heart to see her like that.

(... I bet Mashiro's been feeling so desolate ever since yesterday.)

He finally understood why she was so indignant last night and why she took such baffling actions today. It was because she alone knew about the existence of terrorists in the city. Because even though she knew they had to be stopped, nobody would believe her. Not the police, nor the security department, nor even her friend of 10 years--

(... What the hell am I doing...!? I was supposed to believe in her even if nobody else would, wasn't I?)

Natsuhiko ground his teeth and then looked at Mashiro.

...Of course I believe you.
...!
I'm sorry it took me so long to believe you. Is it too late to join you in your search for the terrorists?
O-of course not!

As Mashiro smiled in relief, Salyu spoke up.

I believe you too. Because you aren't lying.
You can tell?

Salyu held up Alice and replied.

Actually, I've had Alice focus on your face for a while. She reacted to your anxiety and supplication, but she made no other reactions. So that's enough for me to believe you.
I see... So that thing's sort of like your own version of empathy, isn't it?
Alice isn't that advanced. But I have no choice but to believe in her, and I want to believe in you too, Mashiro. That's all. Honestly, I'm not that eager to get on board. But I believe it is my duty to protect you two.
That's fine, that's more than enough! Thank you, Salyu!

Mashiro hugged Salyu tight. A charming gesture in Natsuhiko's eyes.

(Looks like she's finally back to the usual Mashiro, huh...)

As Natsuhiko breathed a sigh of relief, Mashiro grinned at him and spoke.

Okay... then let's get on with the search!
Roger.
Yeah, I'll give it my best, too.

Natsuhiko and Salyu nodded and the three of them left the hospital ruins.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

TRUE VALUE: 09/14/2030, 15:36

Okay, then how should we conduct the search?
Hold up, Mashiro. First we should get a feel for each other's abilities. What's the real extent of your ability?
Me? In my case, I'd say-- 'Telepathy with an effective range of approximately 500 m', and 'empathy with an effective range of approximately 10 m'. I haven't been certified, but I'd say I'm around Ability Level 5.
Huh!?

Natsuhiko was surprised by that answer. ''Ability Level 5'' meant you were among the highest of the elites among all currently recognized Communicators. lf you could freely use empathy on a target at a distance, you were classified as Ability Level 5. There were said to be no more than 50 Communicators of that level in all of Japan.

Hold on, that's seriously amazing, isn't it!?
I'm surprised too. You must be a genius, Mashiro.
N-no, I wouldn't go that far...

Mashiro had mixed feelings, but she was mostly embarrassed.

Say, guys... I certainly can use empathy... but don't be afraid of me, okay?
Huh?
I know it might be hard to believe, but I absolutely do not peek into other people's hearts without good reason. When I read the terrorist's mind, I just made an exception because I was worried about Salyu... So obviously, it's not like I read your minds or anything...
Yeah, I understand.
I don't have a mind with anything worth hiding in the first place.
And of course we won't tell anyone else about it. We'll keep this our little secret.
I see... thank goodness.

Mashiro was relieved to hear their answers.

...Okay, then how's your ability, Natsuhiko?
Umm, I'm not quite so sure myself yet, but... 'Telepathy with an effective range of approximately 2 km', I guess.
T-two kilometers!? Seriously!?
Yeah, apparently...
Around what ability level does that correspond to?
I've never heard of an effective range of 2 km before. That far surpasses my ability at Level 5. So, just maybe... could it be 'Level 6'?

Mashiro looked at Natsuhiko with admiration. Now that he thought about it, Ena had mentioned that there could still be many unknown areas in the field of BC. Which meant that there very well could be Ability Level 6 Communicators and beyond.

H-hold on a sec, Natsuhiko! Try sending me some telepathy!
Okay, hold on a second.

And with that, Natsuhiko put a finger to his temple and focused.

(Mashiro, can you hear me!? If you can, then please answer!)

He tried to focus hard on that message from the bottom of his heart. However--

How was that, Mashiro? Hear me?
Huh? ...I'm sorry, I didn't hear anything.
Huh?

Apparently nothing happened. He didn't feel that odd sensation of his five senses dampening, either.

Hmm... Looks like I still can't control it yet.
I see...
Maybe it was because you didn't have any message that you particularly wanted to tell Mashiro?
I see. Maybe my ability only works when I absolutely need it...

He wasn't entirely sure if that was amazing or an amazing letdown. At any rate, since he couldn't use empathy at all, it would be hard to classify him as Level 6 regardless.

...I'm kinda starting to regret not taking practice seriously now.
Mmm... If only we could use telepathy to communicate, we'd be able to split up.
No, Mashiro, you remember the terrorist's face. So we should act together anyway.
Ah, you're right...!
That's right, Mashiro. There's no point in us spreading ourselves thin after we finally managed to regroup. Let's all search together.
Y-yeah!
By the way, do you have any leads as to where to search?
Not that I can think of, but... for now, how about we start with the places in town where incidents have happened recently?
Okay, then let's go!

And with that, the three of them headed into town.

Several institutions other than the BC Training Center had received the objectionable literature. They didn't learn anything more than what the trainer had told them, but...

...Okay, let's sort through what we know.
Okay, first of all-- 'The places that received objectionable literature were all BC-related facilities', correct?

Natsuhiko nodded. Several facilities, each relating somehow to BC, had received objectionable literature. And all of the objectionable literature was apparently signed ''Q''. The receiving parties each had different reactions to the literature, but all of it was rounded up by the police or the city security department.

Also, there have been several fires lately. And they all seemed to selectively damage BC-related facilities.
That's worrying too...

It might be a coincidence, but beginning with the city's largest research facility, the BC Development Center, three such facilities have suffered from fires.

Maybe the reason the security department has been so desperately rounding up the objectionable literature was to not fan up anxiety?
But I still don't understand. What's the purpose of distributing objectionable literature?
...Yeah, what's that all about?

The objectionable literature and the bomb threat at school did indeed seem to be no more than the criminals taking delight in getting a rise out of people. But then Mashiro spoke up as if she had remembered something.

Wait a second, you two... What if causing all this panic itself was just a means to prepare for their goal?
Prepare?
Well, I get the feeling that this trick resembles how Q has carried out their terrorism in the past.
It resembles it how?
Twelve years ago, there was an incident called the 'Sarubetsu City BC Laboratory Explosion'-- Right before the incident, Q caused an arson panic all around the same city. Except the research facility that got bombed was a completely different place from the arson targets. They distracted the police and fire department with arson before blowing up their real target.
So you mean--
It's all a diversion!?

Natsuhiko gasped. True, if you caused panic everywhere around the city, the police and security department would have no choice but to spread their attention thin. Just collecting all the objectionable literature and tracking down its point of origin would require allocating a good amount of personnel.

If their next incident is using that same trick, then their real target is elsewhere...
Then where do you think that real target is!?

The three of them thought for a second before speaking up all at once.

--The Parapsychology Research Center!

It was the largest BC research facility in town, and they had visited it on a field trip just a few days ago. If Q was after BC research facilities, there would be no bigger target.

Let's go, guys!
Yeah, we need to inform the staff members!

And with that, the three of them dashed off.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

RETURN TO THE PARAPSYCHOLOGY RESEARCH CENTER: 09/14/2030, 17:00

In spite of their misgivings, the area was quite peaceful. Mashiro stepped up to the building and tried to go inside, but--

Huh...? It's locked.
Is it normally open?
I think so... Should we check another day?
No, we came all this way. So let's go look for a staff member or someone. It's such a huge research facility, so I'm sure there's at least someone around.
I want to hear their story at least. It would actually be a relief if they did get objectionable literature too.

They walked around the building's circumference as they spoke. Perimeter security was sparse; there was not a single guard to be seen. Furthermore, the building's back entrance--

Ah... this door isn't locked.
Huh?

Just as Salyu said, the rear entrance was unlocked.

Security's way too sloppy here... Isn't that a little worrying?
Wait, it could be the tracks a terrorist left after breaking in...!
!!
W-what do we do!? Should we report it to the police?
No, that would probably be too hasty... They'd probably just laugh it off, anyway.

Mashiro considered Natsuhiko's statement for a second before continuing.

Then... how about we go inside for a bit and check?
Would that be okay?
I wouldn't recommend it. But if anything happens, I'll protect you two.
Ooh... you're such a lovable girl, you.

Salyu said that word again.

'Protect' us, huh... I appreciate the thought, but you shouldn't do something so dangerous.

There was no way he could expect such a small girl to protect him.

(If anything happens, I should be the one to protect Salyu and not the other way around.)

And with that thought, Natsuhiko trespassed into the building from the back entrance alongside the girls. As they passed through the corridor, they quickly came upon a wide room.

The room was quiet. Or rather--

Too quiet...
Yeah, it's like there's nobody here.
Do you think the whole facility is taking today off?

Something seemed odd about that suggestion. This was a facility that published many research results year round.

There has to be at least someone around. Let's just look a little.
Y-yeah.

The three of them nervously walked around the facility. --However-- No matter how much they searched, they found neither hide nor hair of a single person. For the time being, they returned to the first room and spoke amongst themselves.

What...? Seriously? Nobody came at all?
Yeah, kinda strange, isn't it...?

Salyu nodded and muttered softly.

That's not all that's strange. This facility supposedly conducts various sorts of research, but there's a striking lack of research equipment.
Huh?
Ah... you're right.

She did make a good point. There were several office-like rooms, but there were next to no actual experimental devices to be seen.

Now that you mention it, I got the impression that a lot of the rooms were empty or for storage...
Several rooms were locked. So maybe those were the experimental rooms?
No, judging by the circumstances--

Just as Salyu said that, they suddenly heard a noise from outside the room.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

GUARD: 09/14/2030, 17:15

Every hair on Natsuhiko's body stood on end.

He looked to see a brawny man entering the room from the window.

Security Guard: Hey! What do you kids think you're doing!?

His outfit suggested he was a security guard for the facility. He seemed to have spotted the kids from the outside while he was patrolling around and shouted out to them. Natsuhiko was somewhat relieved and spoke to the security guard.

We're sorry. We heard that this facility was possibly being targeted by terrorists, so we came here to inform you.
Security Guard: Terrorists...?

The security guard stiffened at that word.

Security Guard: Where did you hear that?
Oh, uh...

It was doubtful that the security guard would believe Natsuhiko even if he told the truth. Natsuhiko thought for a second before answering.

We heard that rumor from a friend.
Th-that's right. Recently, terrorists have been dispersing objectionable literature around the city...
And it looks like they're targeting BC-related facilities. So we believe this place could be in danger, too.
Security Guard: I see, I see... Then allow me to get -all- the details out of you kids.

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

Ow... what gives!?
Security Guard: Sorry, but please come with me to the security room.

The security guard spoke in a stifled voice. And as soon as he heard that, Natsuhiko became suspicious.

(What...!?)

The three of them were well-intentioned whistleblowers. And yet the security guard was training his discerning eye onto Natsuhiko--

(It's like he's looking at a culprit!)

Taken aback, Natsuhiko shook his hand out of the security guards grip.

H-hey, what do you mean 'come to the security room'!?
Security Guards: Well, I've heard that unrest has been spreading through this whole town lately. So we need to strengthen our guard here.

The security guard drew even closer to Natsuhiko.

H-hey, quit it! You're hurting Natsuhiko, aren't you!?
Yes. You should stop resorting to violence.
Security Guard: Violence!? I'm just trying to get you kids to talk! You're the ones who trespassed in the first place! You've got no place to talk back to an adult like that!

The security guard shouted. Natsuhiko stood between him and the girls, but then--

I thought I told you to stop.

Salyu spoke up. For perhaps the first time, they heard anger mixed in with her calm voice.

Security Guard: ... What!?

By the time the security guard spoke, Salyu had already sprung into action.

Security Guard: !

She rushed over to him and grabbed his hand. And as if in an elegant dance, she wrapped herself behind him, and then--

Security Guard: Whagh!?

--the security guards large body flew through the air.

Security Guard: Gah!

For a second, Mashiro and Natsuhiko could not comprehend what had just happened. The security guard had struck the floor and passed out, the whites showing in his rolled-back eyes.

Huh...? Salyu, did you just throw him?
Yes.

As an aside, Salyu is the best character.

Natsuhiko was speechless.

(How could such a small girl hurl a grown man like that...?)

Salyu not only excelled in wisdom and physical ability, but she was also well-versed in the martial arts, apparently.

Th-that's amazing... was that aikido or something?
Yes. He threatened to harm Natsuhiko, so I snapped and used a martial arts technique.
You snapped, huh... You think we still had a few other options before knocking him out cold?
Mmph... Disappointing. I protected you, Natsuhiko. Why are you mad at me?
Ah. Yeah, that's right. She did it for you, Natsuhiko.
No, I appreciate the thought, but...

Natsuhiko looked down at the security guard sprawled out at his feet.

...will he be okay?
I held back. He didn't hit his head, so he'll wake up eventually.
But there's no denying that he didn't injure us, but we knocked him out... So it looks like it'll be a pain to smooth things over when he wakes up.
...So, think we should run?
That would be best. But no matter what this man may say later, it was justified self-defense.
Y-you think so...?

Spurred on by Natsuhiko's confusion, Salyu spewed a steady stream of words.

I am familiar with Japanese law. Penal Code Article 36 (Self-Defense), Paragraph 1. 'An act unavoidably performed to protect the rights of oneself or any other person against imminent and unlawful infringement is not punishable.' Even if said act is to protect the rights of intruders against the authorities, it is no exception. This man was threatening to infringe on Natsuhiko's rights with violent behavior. So I unavoidably had to throw him once or twice.
N-now that's a well-reasoned argument...
It seems a little forced, though...

But they didn't have any time to discuss law here. All things considered, they technically conveyed the possibility of terrorism here, so they probably fulfilled at least the minimum of their civic duty.

(Hopefully they use this little scuffle here as a reason to increase security and everything will turn out all right in the end...) ...Oh well. Let's get out of here for now. Before things get crazy.
Roger.
Roger!

And with that, they left the room.

Haaaah~...
D-do you think we managed to escape...?
It's okay. I checked behind as we were running. Nobody followed.

Salyu spoke without breaking a sweat. She didn't just train her muscle strength and martial arts technique, but her lung capacity too, apparently.

Ahh, I haven't run like that in forever... My throat's so dry...
I-I know, right? Hold on a second, I'll go buy some drinks...

Mashiro tottered over to a nearby vending machine. After a while, she came back carrying three bottles in her arms.

Okay, Natsuhiko. Salyu. My treat.

Tips posted:

TIP: Regista Gold
Category: Fiction

An energy drink developed by Betelgeuse New Treatments. Classified as a medical supply.

Its catchphrase is ''A healthy revival!!''.

Perhaps as a way to compete with the existing popular energy drink that holds the majority market share, Regista Gold has the special ingredient of 100000000 mg of taurine for nourishment and eliminating fatigue, thus successfully gaining it a core fanbase of repeat customers. Taurine is all about homeostasis. Homeostasis is the function of bodies and cells to maintain normalcy, and thus taurine is a very important nutrient in mammalian development. While 100000000 mg may be excessive, any excess taurine is safely excreted out of the body through the urine, and is thus harmless to the body.

Furthermore, this excess is what generated its core fanbase, even leading to the formation of Regista Gold communities. Though the product is sold nationwide, places like Tokyo and Sakuranomori make up for 70 to 80 percent of national consumption.

Yes, I know that's 100 kg in a single drink. They probably ment µg, which would be 100g, which is still excessive, but reasonable as far as ''fitting inside a drink'' goes. I can't vouch for the validity of the claims as far as safety goes - it's really hard to find out whether things like this are harmful to you or not, as navigating through studies and websites made by either hyper-all-natural hippies or the people actually making energy drinks is an excercise I do not wish to make. Basically, don't inject yourself with liquid Taurine expecting an energy boost.

Basically, don't get health tips from the game where information consists of an elementary particle and people can use telepathy and mind reading and a 13 year old girl is sending security guards flying through the air and murdering a guy holding a gun and shooting at her by using an axe.

It's an energy drink. It's got an ungodly amount of taurine in it. It's the perfect nutrition replenishment when your body's fatigued.
That sounds like it'll just make you even more thirsty...

Natsuhiko took a gulp despite his complaints.

Anyway... there was something odd about that security guard, wasn't there?
Yeah, I felt so too. He did say that they were tightening security, but did he really have to act that mean about it?
Are all security guards in this city that oppressive?
No, I really don't think so. There must've been some sort of reason.
Do you think that facility actually received a threat letter too?
Or maybe there was something besides that...?

Natsuhiko felt there were several suspicious points about what happened, but he didn't really understand any of them, so he couldn't come up with any guesses.

...It's getting dark.
True. Should we start heading back, guys?
Huh? Already!?
Well, it's only the proper thing to do. We're already doing dangerous things. Working past nightfall will only add to the danger.
Besides, we can't make Yuuri worry, so let's end the investigation here for today.
Ugh... I guess...

Despite Mashiro's words, she still seemed like she wanted to say something else.

It's okay. Tomorrow's a Sunday. So I don't mind joining you again tomorrow if you want.
...I see, you're right!

Mashiro finally smiled and nodded at Natsuhiko's words.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SALYU AND NATSUHIKO - COOKING 101: 09/14/2030, 18:33

Welcome back~

Once Natsuhiko, Salyu, and Mashiro entered the living room, Yuuri greeted them as usual.

Whewww, we're back, Yuuri...

Mashiro sat on the sofa and took a deep breath.

...Hold on, guys. I'll make food after we rest a bit...

Yuuri blinked blankly and whispered to Natsuhiko.

...Did something happen to Mashiro? She seems really tired out.
Yeah, about that--

Natsuhiko explained to Yuuri what happened that day. The reason why Mashiro didn't come to the house in the morning. The existence of the terrorists. How the police and security department couldn't be relied on. But for now, he glossed over how Mashiro could use empathy and what happened at the Parapsychology Research Center. After listening to the story, Yuuri calmly spoke.

I see... sounds serious.
Well, forget about me. I'm more worried about Mashiro...

She had probably been worrying herself sick about the potential terrorist attack ever since last night. She had been behaving energetically all day today, but once they got back to the house, she crashed as if all her tension had snapped.

(If I'd only believed her from the start, she wouldn't be so tired out now, would she...?)

With that thought in mind, Natsuhiko called out to her.

Okay, Mashiro! As a token of my gratitude for all the food, I'll be the one to make dinner today.
Huh!?

Mashiro's head jolted up in surprise. Yuuri's eyes widened too.

That's new. -You're- gonna cook, Hikorin?
Yup, I am.

Yuuri couldn't cook at all. She couldn't even hold a kitchen knife. Which meant that Natsuhiko had to be the one to do it.

Natsuhiko, you can cook?
Well, I tried before, but it was completely terrible. So that said, help me out, Salyu.
I can't cook either... but I'll try.
Okay. That sound good to you, Mashiro?
Ah, thanks...

Mashiro seemed a little happy.

...Okay.

Natsuhiko and Salyu stood in the kitchen and started off just lining up the ingredients.

Go for it, Hikorin, Salyu~ Love is the very best spice!
(I think that's just a cooking cliche, but okay...) Well, two halves make a whole, so if we work together, I'm sure we can compensate for our lack of skill.
Cooking is just another form of chemistry. As long as you get the measurements and times right, it'll turn out good... probably.

And with that wishful thinking, they began to chop the ingredients.

♪ BGM: Foolishness

But the two cooking novices stumbled even at that very first step.

Salyu, wash the rice for me.
Wash?
Yeah, to remove excess starch.
Understood.

And with that answer, Salyu grabbed the kitchen soap.

Ah, no, that's not what I meant by washing it! I mean, you know, you run it under some water, and then you knead it!
So I do need it?

Despite their essential partnership, they were unable to communicate properly.

(This could not possibly get any worse...)

As they moved on to make the side dishes, even more problems sprang up.

Salyu, the miso soup's too strong. Dilute it some.
Roger.

Salyu answered like so and then tossed a bowlful of water into the pot.

Ahh! No, Salyu! You have to be more precise!
D-do I?
You just said that quantities were important, didn't you? You gotta measure it out properly.
But the recipe doesn't say how much water to dilute it with. I can only trust my intuition. Besides, the cooking terminology is too vague. What exactly is a pinch?
Uh, well, don't ask me. It's kinda...

Even though they cooked while checking the recipe via PDA, the flavor mysteriously managed to betray expectations. Readjusting added another layer of difficulty.

Okay, it's done!

They finished cooking. Somehow or another. They brought the miso soup and the meat and vegetable stir fry to the table in two separate dishes.

Hey, Mashiro. Yuuri. We finished making dinner.
I gave it everything I had... or at least I tried.
Hikorin, Salyu, good work~
Yeah, thanks guys.

Mashiro spoke happily as she sat in front of the dishes.

Thanks for the food.

And with that, they reached out to the dishes in front of them. But soon enough, Salyu spoke sadly.

...The soup really didn't turn out well. It's because I botched measuring the quantities...!
Huh!? No way!?

Shocked, Natsuhiko rushed to spoon himself a mouthful of miso soup. But it tasted as good as any run of the mill miso.

It's okay, Salyu. It's good, you know?
It really is~ No need to worry~
But it's not good at all compared to Mashiro's.
Well, if you're gonna say that, then my stir fry's the same way, you know? Let this just be a reminder of how delicious the food we normally get to eat is. I'm completely inexperienced too.
No, if you're going to say that, then I'm the one who's more inexperienced...
No, no, I am...

The two of them kept trying to out-humble each other. Mashiro giggled at their little exchange.

It's okay, guys. They're both delicious. Thank you guys so much.
O-okay... that's a relief.
...Hahah. It sure is nice to hear someone praise your cooking, huh.
Exactly. So now do you understand why I don't hate my role in this household?

Yuuri smiled as she watched the three of them converse. The cooking was plain and simple, but before they had realized it, their usual warmth around the dinner table had returned. But then-- As if to shatter the calm mood, the sound of the intercom rang out.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 4, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That security guard was totally not what he seemed. That entire place is suspicious.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Pollyanna posted:

That security guard was totally not what he seemed. That entire place is suspicious.
Let's go Beyond Communication in Root Double -Before Crime * After Days: That entire place is suspicious.

(Really though, that descibes basically the entire game so far)

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Big fan of taking a break from the terrorist plotline to advertise a health drink.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Salyu is indeed the best. I wonder if that security guard might've been Dojima or the other guy.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The OCR read "o" as "0" in the word "you" towards the end of that update.

So, did we get any hints about the number 9 in Route After? :v:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Regista Gold may be fictitious, but there do exist real-world cocktails that fit the same bill of "absurdly potent energy drink". My favorite in such a line is The Black Blood of the Earth, basically a distilled coffee concentrate that should be consumed a mere half-shotglass at a time.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Am I the only one who thinks that looks more like a medicine bottle than an energy drink?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

AlphaKretin posted:

The OCR read "o" as "0" in the word "you" towards the end of that update.

That's the most common error it makes. I can usually catch it, but occasionally, one makes it through. Well, that and reading a lowercase L as an uppercase I or vice versa. That one's a bastard to catch.

freshlybaked posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that looks more like a medicine bottle than an energy drink?

That's probably because it contains so much taurine that it has to be classified as a medical supply.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

MYSELF;YOURSELF: 09/14/2030, 20:01

Who could it be at this time of night...?

Very rarely did anybody visit this house at night. Natsuhiko felt suspicious as he answered the intercom on the wall.

Hello, who is it?
Voice: Ah, is this the Tenkawa house hold?
Huh...? Yes, it is.
Voice: Is Mr. Natsuhiko Tenkawa at home?

Natsuhiko felt a little uneasy, so for now he answered dishonestly.

I'm a housekeeper here. Mr. Natsuhiko isn't at home at the moment.
Voice: ...Is that so?
...Um, who might you be?
Voice: Ah, my apologies. I am Takehashi from the Rokumei City Security Department.
The security department...?

Natsuhiko was suspicious. Why would the security department give this house a visit?

What business does the security department have with Mr. Natsuhiko?

Voice: Well, we just got a call from a security guard at the Parapsychology Research Center. He said that three people who appeared to be Rokumei Academy students trespassed into the building and made a commotion. And when he tried to drive them out, they picked a fight with him instead and struck him hard enough to knock him out, apparently.
!?

Natsuhiko was terrified. That wasn't what happened.

H-hold on! There has to be some kind of mistake!
Voice: Please, allow me to finish.

The security department member used polite words, but his tone sounded relentless.

Voice: We at the security department make sure to properly investigate all tips we receive. We refer to the footage of the security cameras installed in the streets. And right after the security guard was 'struck', we certainly did see a male high school student come out of the PRC. And cross-referencing the citizen database revealed that it was indeed Mr. Natsuhiko Tenkawa.
...!

Natsuhiko shuddered. To think that they could identify him with such accuracy in such a short amount of time. But that wasn't the problem.

(What the hell did that security guard tell them? That's completely disjointed from the truth, isn't it!?)

Perhaps he resented being flung, but what he said was clearly fabricated.

Voice: ...Excuse me, did you hear me?
Ah, yes.
Voice: So we at the security department apologize for making such a late visit, but we would like to ask Mr. Natsuhiko to come with us to the municipal office.

Come with us-- Natsuhiko understood full well what that phrase implied. The security department member didn't come here simply to ask for his side of the story. If that were the case, they could do it here and now. And the fact that he went out of his way to come here at night meant--

(He came to take us into custody...!)

Confused at the sudden turn of events, Natsuhiko decided to buy time for now.

H-hold on a second. I'll go contact Mr. Natsuhiko. He's always coming home late, so I'm sorry, but I must ask you to leave for today!
Voice: Sure. Thanks for your cooperation.

Natsuhiko hung up the intercom and turned back to the girls. Upon which they all looked back to him in worry.

H-Hikorin, what happened...?
Well, it looks like someone from the security department came... to take us into custody.
Custody!? Why!?
Don't tell me it was because of what happened at the Parapsychology Research Center?
While it does seem like that, it wasn't your fault, Salyu.

Indeed. Although the three of them were guilty of wrongdoing, the security guard was even more malicious.

But regardless of how things got this way, it's bad that we attracted the security department's discerning eye. Extremely bad...!
What kind of people make up the security department?
They're like a police force that manages the city.

Natsuhiko thought back on his knowledge of the security department.

Tips posted:

TIP: Rokumei City Security Department

A quasi-police force founded in 2016 based on the ''privilege of a government designated top secret city to mobilize a self-governed police force''.

They cooperate with the police to maintain public order and have the authority to inspect the city surveillance cameras and citizen database, as well as the authority to question suspects and take them into custody.

2016 was an important year where the Japanese government had to tackle all BC-related issues, such as the enactment of BC Law and the legislation of government designated top secret cities. Considering how those cities' security departments were formed as a result of these efforts, many consider them to be organizations tasked with the suppression of BC-related crimes even though they are not explicitly designated as such in any official text.

They were founded in 2016 based on the ''privilege of a government designated top secret city to mobilize a self-governed police force''. They were a large organization consisting of 8 officials, 32 sections, and 400 men given just about the same privileges as the police. For example, they had the authority to inspect the city security camera footage and citizen database. The authority to carry extendable batons. As well as the authority to patrol, interrogate, and detain and take people into custody. Naturally, they didn't have the authority to possess handguns or to make arrests, but in exchange, their footwork was light and they were able to intervene in civil affairs. Small fights, acts of discrimination against Communicators, misdemeanors, and petty disputes were often reported more to the security department rather than the police. And naturally, those taken into custody by the security department were often handed over to the police--

...Crap. I deceived him with a spur of the moment lie, but... Things look like they'll get messy if they take us into custody.
True. And we don't have time to deal with that at all.

Even though the security department member said he'd leave for today, they could still sense his presence outside the door. Perhaps he was waiting for ''Natsuhiko'' to get back, or possibly he was starting to make the connection that the ''housekeeper'' was Natsuhiko himself. The four children sank into silence for a while-- and eventually Mashiro muttered.

...Do you think I can escape?
Huh? Escape?
I mean if they take us into custody and hand us over to the police, then I can't search for the terrorists. For starters, I can't even get back home. I have no choice but to escape through the window.
Hey, Mashiro, now that's a little...
Ah, but naturally I'll be going by myself. Just don't open that door.

But then that would isolate Mashiro again. And she'd seen the terrorist's face. In the off chance that something did happen, there'd be no taking it back.

(I want to at least see her off to her house, but...!)

The girl who could not leave the house noticed his glance and spoke.

Ah... you don't have to worry about me, okay?
But...
The security department man is only searching for you, Mashiron, and Salyu, right? I don't think I'm included, so it's okay for me to stay here.

Natsuhiko was quite hesitant. If they left the house just once, the security department could catch them easily, and who knows when they'd be able to return.

(But is it really okay...!? Is it okay to leave Yuuri here alone...?)

He'd promised to himself that he'd keep watching over her. --He felt that it wasn't the time for that now. Leaving Mashiro alone to her own devices and staying in this house with Yuuri probably wouldn't give him any peace of mind. And he couldn't take Yuuri away with them, much less drag her into this mess. Natsuhiko thought long and hard-- and finally, he made up his mind.

...Okay. Yuuri, please watch over the house for us.
Got it!
Okay... then shall we go, Mashiro?

Mashiro's eyes widened at Natsuhiko's words.

Huh... wait, you mean you're going with me?
Well, I can't just leave you alone, now, can I? So much has happened today. It scares me to think about what could happen next.
...!

Even Salyu cut in with a whisper.

...Then I'll accompany you too. I am partly at fault, anyway.
See, it feels a lot safer with three of us, doesn't it?
I-I feel a little bad about it... ...But thanks.

Natsuhiko responded to her with a smile.

For the time being, should we leave our PDAs behind? I get the feeling they can use the GPS functionality to track us.
Yeah. We can come pick them up tomorrow.
We should only take the bare necessities like our wallets.

Salyu held Alice in her arms as she spoke. The three of them placed their PDAs on the table and raised the TV volume. They did so in order to cover the tracks of their escape as much as they could.

Okay, we'll be going then... Yuuri, you sure you'll be okay?

Yuuri smiled in reply to Natsuhiko's question.

Hey, Hikorin... Don't worry about me so much. You're working to protect the town from terrorists, aren't you?
I-it's not that big a...

Natsuhiko tried to deny it, but once he realized she wasn't that off the mark, he shut up. Yuuri continued with a serious look on her face.

Then you should go with Mashiron and Salyu. You're definitely returning to the old Hikorin now. Back to when you were so righteous.
...You think so?
I know so. But you mustn't make a repeat of what happened nine years ago, okay? Overcome the past. I'm sure you can do it, Hikorin.

Those words reached deep into his heart.

(Yuuri's talking about what happened back then...!?)

Right before the accident nine years ago, Natsuhiko left with Yuuri, leaving Mashiro behind. And now he was going to leave Yuuri behind. But Yuuri didn't stop him. In fact, she was telling him to go. Telling him to overcome the past--

...Okay, Yuuri.

Natsuhiko quietly nodded.

But we're just going to go out for a short little bit. We'll be back as soon as humanly possible.
...Okay. I can't go with you... but I'll be waiting for you all to come back home.

Natsuhiko exchanged a smile with Yuuri before speaking to Mashiro and Salyu.

Okay, let's go, you two.
Yeah!
Roger.

And with that exchange, they opened the window. And escaped as inconspicuously as possible. Once they shut the window, Yuuri gave them a word of parting.

Be careful, guys...

Natsuhiko nodded and the three of them left. The sound of the TV that was left on leaked through the room and eventually faded into the distance.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

INTO THE DARKNESS: 09/14/2030, 20:14

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

In accordance with that suggestion, the three of them headed to Mashiro's house. The Toba residence was quite nearby. No more than three minutes if you ran. But once they got close--

...Huh? Hold on, guys!

Natsuhiko and Salyu stopped at Mashiro's command.

What's wrong, Mashiro?
There's somebody by the entranceway...

And true enough, they looked to see silhouettes standing in front of the Toba residence. Mashiro's mother was talking to two men.

Who's she talking to...?

They hid themselves and strained their ears on the conversation between Mashiro's mother and the two men.

Security Dept. 1: ...Your daughter snuck into the Parapsychology Research Center and injured a security guard.

The three kids gasped at the conversation.

(The security department...!)

The security department had apparently already gotten here. Mashiro's mother spoke in surprise.

Mrs. Toba: No, not my daughter!? There has to be some sort of mistake!
Security Dept. 1: I'm sorry ma'am, but she was caught by a surveillance camera. There's no doubt about it. Is it all right if we wait here for your daughter to return?
Mrs. Toba: Not at all! Besides, look at the time... I must ask you two to please leave!
This is bad... they're pressing her.
It's partly true, so it's in some ways unavoidable... I'm sorry Mashiro. It's my fault.
It's okay, Salyu. I'll explain the situation to Mom with telepathy.

And with that, Mashiro placed a finger to her temple. Using telepathy on a blood relative was probably easy enough for her. And she was probably successful in contacting her, but--

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

Right after that, Mashiro's mother shouted.

Mrs. Toba: Mashiro!? Is that you, Mashiro!?
Security Dept. 1: !?

The security department members snapped back and looked around.

Security Dept. 1: Where is she!?

The security department members' voices echoed. There was no time to hesitate.

Let's get out of here. Things are gonna get problematic.
Right!

Mashiro nodded and dashed off. But as she ran, she yelled.

Mom, believe in me! I did nothing wrong!

Mashiro's voice resounded in the dark residential area.

But no matter where they ran, the shadows of people who seemed like security department members appeared.

Security Dept. 2: There they are! After them!

Each time they heard that, they turned back and rushed through a back street.

Dammit. How can they manage to find us no matter where we go!?
Natsuhiko, it's those things!
Huh!?

Natsuhiko snapped toward where she was pointing to find a security camera.

The security department had the authority to use the security cameras. The camera footage was likely being sent to the municipal office server where they could inspect it in realtime. They could check it on PDAs or something to follow the kids' tracks.

What do we do? They're going to catch us!
Calm down. Let's escape to a place without any cameras!

The kids ran desperately, avoiding human presence, avoiding cameras.

Haah, haah...
Th-think we'll be safe here...?
No.

Salyu pointed to the woods as she said that.

Not here too...!
Dammit, is there no escape!?

The devices ordinarily used to maintain public order were now being used to track the kids down.

Alice: Kyuu, kyuu... kyuu, kyuu...!

Alice squeaked as if to speak for their anxiety.

...The security department's sure to show up here too. Let's run.
R—right!

Right as they were about to run-- Salyu took control of the situation.

Wait, you two.
Huh?
The security department's going to look at that camera's footage and chase after us, right?
Y-yeah.
Then let's think about it the other way around: they won't search places where the cameras don't see us.
Yeah, and...?
I'll manipulate the camera. Come with me, you two.

And with that, Salyu entered the security camera's blind spot and rushed over to it. And then she poked Alice around her neck. Which caused some sort of cable to wind out of her.

Wah! Wh-what's that!?
Alice isn't just a facial expression recognition device. She's also a multifunction mobile PC.

Salyu opened a panel on Alice's back, revealing an LCD display.

She's a computer?
Yes. And this screen is a touch panel. She possesses all essential functions including communication, audiovisual recording, and data I/O. She also accepts voice commands. Furthermore, Dr. Tenkawa preinstalled various sorts of software, so-- It should be no trouble at all to manipulate the camera footage using some of that software.

And with that, Salyu began to tamper with the security camera. She skillfully removed the cover on the security camera, took out the terminal port and connected it to Alice's cable.

Alice, start command. 'Capture 10 seconds of footage from the input pin and loop it into the output pin.' End command.
Alice: Kyuu!

Natsuhiko and Mashiro looked blankly as Alice answered reliably.

Uh, umm...? Ms. Salyu, what might you be doing?
I connected the security camera's output terminal to Alice and captured footage from the camera. So now Alice has stored security footage that we don't show up in. So now by connecting Alice to the input terminal and looping the footage...
I see! So basically we won't show up on this camera anymore, huh!

Salyu nodded at Natsuhiko's words.

Yes. So now even if the security department checks the camera feed, they shouldn't expect anyone to be in the park. Though we were caught on camera here once, so it's not a foolproof plan...
Still, it's quite safer than any other place!
That's amazing, Salyu! I didn't even know you could do something like that!
It's not anything that praiseworthy. So let's stand by in this park until some of the heat dies down.
Yeah, I mean, I am a little tired...
Let's take a short break then, I guess.

And with that, the kids sat down in the grass.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

UNDER THE MOON: 09/14/2030, 20:45

A blue branch with Mashiro at 6 and Yuuri at 5.

Gazing upward at the moon, Mashiro whispered.

Really, to think that things would turn out this way...
I didn't expect it either. The security department basically seems like a police force. And they act quick.
Yeah...

(It's understandable... I mean, they did blockade her house and all.)

In no time at all, they had lost two places of refuge. It was probably a huge shock that even her family got dragged into the mess. Mashiro was, after all, a girl. No matter how strong she was, there were times when she showed weakness. But as Natsuhiko pondered all of that, Mashiro just chuckled beside him.

H-hey, what's wrong, Mashiro?
Is there something funny about the moon?
No, no, I just felt kind of nostalgic, that's all.
Nostalgic...?
Say, Natsuhiko, do you remember? Something like this happened in the past, right? Us getting chased around the city at night, I mean.
Ah... you mean the 'Sirius Escape Plan'?

That reminded Natsuhiko. That did indeed happen.

...What's that?
Ah, it's just something that happened long ago.

Natsuhiko recounted his memory of the past to Salyu.

It was about ten years ago. We decided to keep a dog at this park. Just us kids.
A dog?
Yeah. He was a cute dog we named Sirius.
Cuter than Alice?

A yellow branch with Mashiro at 6. This branch lets us into the next friendship scene for Mashiro.

Natsuhiko smiled wryly before continuing.

To us, Sirius was our dog, but to the world, he was a stray. So one day, the healthcare center conducted a stray dog hunt and we were worried he would get caught up in it.
S-so, what happened?
Well, Mashiro and I talked about what to do with poor Sirius... And we hatched a plan to save him.
A plan?

As she asked that question, Natsuhiko's heart relived the memory of that night.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Maybe I'm super-stretching here, but what if putting somebody on a bus thinking "gonna murder everyone gonna murder everyone whoops better shut up because of all those ~sensitive communicators~" is just another variant on distributing inflammatory pamphlets?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

UNDER THE STARRY SKY

They rushed to find a way to save Sirius. But they couldn't find anyone who would adopt him... and two days passed.

Ugh~... That's 'cause too many of them live in apartments and stuff.
What do we do...
Sirius: Ooof~!

Natsuhiko and Mashiro hung their heads.

(There's nowhere in this town for Sirius to stay...)

The evil healthcare center would likely get their sinister hands on Sirius eventually. But time was ticking away and they had yet to find a suitable owner for him.

If we don't do something, Sirius will really be killed...
...!

Natsuhiko held back his panicking heart as he thought long and hard about what to do. Eventually-- a certain idea flashed in Natsuhiko's head.

...No, wait! There's still something we can do! We just need to get Sirius out of this city!
Huh!? B-but there's a fence all around the city, you know?

Rokumei City was surrounded by a perimeter fence in order to increase public safety. No man-- or dog-- could slip past the barricade. But--

But if we don't do anything, then Sirius is gonna die! So do we have any other option but to get him out of the city?
But we'll get caught if we leave the city on our own, won't we!? Dad told me so himself! If you try to leave town, you get locked up in jail!
J-...jail!?

Natsuhiko flinched at the sound of that word, but still--

...What are you talking about, Mashiro!? Who cares if we get caught!?
Huh!?
If we don't do anything, who's gonna save Sirius? Don't wait for someone else to protect what you hold dear. Protect it with your own hands!

That wasn't a quote from anything, but words straight from Natsuhiko's heart. That said, it was words out and pasted from lines of various anime and such that Natsuhiko had watched, but it got through to Mashiro regardless.

...You're right! You're so right!

Mashiro took Natsuhiko by the hand as she spoke.

Let's set him free, Natsuhiko! Let's save Sirius with our own hands!
Looks like you finally understand, Mashiro!
Yeah! But how do we do it?
Heheh. I've got it all planned out. We use the 'city gate'. There's no fence there.

Rokumei City's outer circumference was surrounded by a fence, but naturally there were entrances and exits. The city had six such ''city gates''.

That sounds good, but they've got lookouts, don't they?
But there aren't lookouts at nighttime, right? So we go at night, slip past the gate and free Sirius.
Oh... yeah, I think that sounds good. Okay, then let's do that!

Mashiro and Natsuhiko gripped each other's hands tight.

Mashiro, we might be rivals, but for now, let's call a truce... If we join forces, I know we can save Sirius for sure!
Yeah!
Sirius: Bow!

Their brave voices echoed in the afternoon park.

Near the ''White Tiger Gate'', one of the city gates. Three fidgety shadows approached. They were Natsuhiko, Mashiro, and Sirius. They had hidden Sirius at home for the rest of the afternoon before slipping out this far from home.

(We've come prepared...)

There was a note tied to Sirius' neck. The note was written on a piece of wood and strung around his neck. It said ''I am a smart dog. My name is Sirius. Please adopt me.'' And below that, it had the Tenkawa household's phone number.

...So now it'll be perfect if someone finds him outside of town.
Yeah...

Natsuhiko was unsure what the possibility was that he'd find a good owner, but he was willing to bet on it. Natsuhiko leaned down and made eye contact with Sirius.

Listen up, Sirius. The gate's shut. But I'm sure you can still slip through it. After that, just run as far as you can. If you can do that, I'm sure you'll find a kind owner who'll take care of you. Understand?
Sirius: Wuff.

Sirius let out just a small whine. Perhaps because Natsuhiko was whispering. He really was a smart dog. Suddenly, Natsuhiko felt reluctant to set him free.

(But... I need to set him free if I want him to live.)

As Natsuhiko pondered that thought, Mashiro shrieked.

Wait, Natsuhiko! There's somebody in front of the gate...
What?

A large man was inside giving a sharp look about his surroundings.

They have a lookout even at night...!
Hmm...

Natsuhiko racked his brain. And after some frantic thinking-- He came up with a do—or-die last ditch effort.

Sirius... I'm gonna go distract that man; you take that opening and run for it.
Sirius: Bwow?
No, Natsuhiko, you can't! They're gonna catch you, you know!?
I don't care! I don't care if I get put in jail if it that's what it takes to keep Sirius alive!
!

Mashiro twitched at Natsuhiko's declaration. But she soon responded with a meek look on her face.

...You're right... Then I'll help you distract him.
Huh? You sure? It's too dangerous for a girl.
I can't let you be the only one who gets to show off.

Natsuhiko smirked at those words. He expected nothing less from his biggest rival. Though he had the feeling if they were friends, she'd be quite a reliable ally.

Okay... then let's go. Run for it, Sirius!

And with that yell, Natsuhiko struck Sirius on the back. But the dog didn't move. He just looked at Natsuhiko's face and let out a sad whine.

Sirius: *whine* *whine*...

That voice wrenched Natsuhiko's heart.

...You... You don't want to leave us?
Sirius: ... Bark.
I see... I don't want to leave you, either. But you need to go if you want to live...!

Sirius probably didn't understand Natsuhiko's words. But he seemed to understand his intention. Eventually, Sirius looked towards the gate.

That's good, Sirius.

Natsuhiko struck Sirius on the back once more. So that his feelings wouldn't sway again.

Sirius: Bowww!

And with that yelp, the three shadows broke into a run.

Natsuhiko and Mashiro went up to the station box and started yelling.

Heyyy! You stupid old man!
Who cares about this dumb old gate! This hunk of junk should just disappear~!
Security Guard: Wh-what was that!?

The sudden disparagement from children caused the security guard in the station to jump up. He leaped out of the box and started yelling at the kids.

Security Guard: Hey! What do you snot-nosed brats think you're doing in the middle of the night!?

He looked terribly enraged, but Natsuhiko shouted out, undaunted.

We're no snot-nosed brats! We're heroes!
Security Guard: Th-the hell are you saying, kid!?

At that moment, the security guards attention was focused completely on the kids.

Now's your chance, Sirius!

Mashiro yelled. And at the same time, a small shadow leaped out from behind them. The shadow slipped past the security guard and headed for the gate.

Security Guard: Hmm? Ah, hold it right there, you mangy mutt!

By the time the security guard reacted, it was too late. Sirius had already slipped through the gate and dashed into the tunnel leading outside the city. His small shadow melted into darkness of the night.

(You're so fast, Sirius...!)

At that speed, he'd probably get away even if the security guard chased him. And with that thought in mind, Natsuhiko watched Sirius off, though he was already out of sight--

Goodbye...

Natsuhiko bit farewell to his friend of only a short while.

...Okay! Mashiro, draw back!
Roger!

The security guard yelled something or other from behind, but they ran away without a second thought. They kept running with serious looks on their faces. --Eventually, Mashiro let out an odd voice.

...Heheh, tee hee...
Hey, what's so funny!? Quit laughing and run!
But it's just so funny!
Huh?

For a second, he had no idea what she was talking about. But now that she mentioned it, the joy of a successful mission, the excitement, and every other emotion mixed together--

...Phhhbttt! Heeheehee...!

It certainly was worth a laugh.

Hahahah, ahahahahah!
See? It's kinda funny, isn't it? Eheh, ahahah!

Their laughter echoed through the night streets.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Looking back it's darkly comic that Natsuhiko claimed before that they weren't living in a prison. Kid, you're not just in a prison, but also a panopticon. :cop:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

UNDER THE MOON: 09/14/2030, 20:45 - PART 2

What Mashiro had said last night was what he had once said himself.

(... ''Protect what you hold dear with your own hands'', huh. When Mashiro said that yesterday, she was referencing what happened back then, huh...)

As Natsuhiko made that realization, Mashiro spoke.

Yeah, it was on a night with a full moon just like this, huh... We slipped out of our houses at night. Natsuhiko and I made an escape route for Sirius to get outside the city.
What happened to Sirius after that? Was he able to escape?
After a little while, we got a phone call from someone living in the next city. It was a nice lady who said she was keeping Sirius at her house.

After hearing the story, Salyu spoke up honestly.

Remarkable. You two saved a life.
I know, right~?

Mashiro smiled triumphantly. Natsuhiko looked back fondly on that moment as well.

...But all the adults probably got mad at us afterwards. We ran away since we didn't want to get yelled at.
We ran all around town at night, huh. So tonight's kind of like what happened then.

After hearing the story, Salyu looked up to the moon and whispered.

That sounds like a very good memory...
...Yeah, I think so too.

Natsuhiko worked earnestly back then for the righteous cause of saving Sirius. He didn't stop to think too hard about the details. He just tackled the danger with reckless abandon. And he succeeded.

(So I'll just do that again this time--)

With that thought in mind, Natsuhiko spoke to Mashiro who was sitting beside him.

Hey, Mashiro...
Huh?
Today was tough, huh? The security department's tracking us down, and so we can't even go home.
Y-yeah.
But now that things have escalated this far-- We need the resolve to not go home until we've put an end to this, okay?

Mashiro's eyes widened at those words.

...An end to this? You mean--
Until we prevent the terrorist plot ourselves. I don't know what exactly we can do, but it's better to try than to do nothing.
... Natsuhiko!

Mashiro's eyes sparkled as she took Natsuhiko by the hand.

It took you long enough, but now you've got the spirit! I'm so happy!
Ah, well, I'm just saying there's a matter of resolve... Since you're girls, I'm just thinking you'd need a change of clothes or a bath or something.
No, no, considering the situation, that's no matter at all!

Mashiro jumped for joy. But Salyu on the other hand just had a critical look on her face.

...Natsuhiko, I thought I told you I don't recommend putting yourself in danger.
...I'm sorry, Salyu.

Salyu glared at Natsuhiko for a while before eventually muttering in resignation.

...Looks like I have no other choice. I will help you two to the best of my ability.
Huh, you too, Salyu!? Okay, if all three of us give it our best, then there's nothing to be scared of!

Natsuhiko looked at Mashiro and shrugged.

(Nothing to be scared of? Honestly...?)

Even if the three of them did run into terrorists, the terrorists seemed more likely to overpower them than anything. But that's exactly why the three of them had to pull themselves together if they wanted to accomplish anything.

...Well, now that that's settled, what should we do next?
Good question. It is getting kinda late...

A blue branch with Mashiro at 6.

Salyu spoke as she disconnected Alice from the surveillance camera. She put away the cable and display into Alice's back, returning her to a more stuffed animal shape as she continued.

It could start raining again. That would be a nuisance.
That's true. So for now, let's head into the city.
We need to be careful not to get caught by the bad guys...

Tips posted:

TIP: BeyoBEYO/Episode 4 Commentary

''We gotta keep our guards up. We need to be careful not to get caught by the bad guys...''

Kirara has extraordinary power as a psychic. When you consider her powerlessness as an elementary schooler when she's not transformed into Beyond Comni, her powers become an easily exploitable double-edged sword. Once Yeti warns her of this, Kirara shuts away her small desire to show off her true identity.

--Psychic Girl Beyond*BEYOND
Official Guidebook

Natsuhiko, Salyu, and Mashiro were tagged by the security department under false charges and became unable to move around in public. Regardless, Mashiro is calm enough to quote the BeyoBEYO line

''We need to be careful not to get caught by the bad guys...''

She had the conviction that even if what she was doing wasn't safe, it wasn't the wrong thing to do. And she had reliable sympathizers on her side. But just like Kirara in Yeti's absence, she would later come to anguish over whether or not she was doing the right thing...

Natsuhiko led the two girls.

They somehow made it while taking meticulous care not to be caught by the security department or the surveillance cameras.

Where can we stay the night...?
How about a manga cafe or something?
Where would we find a manga cafe at this hour? They're heavily regulated.
Hmm, but we don't have much money...
Ah! Natsuhiko, how about that!?

Natsuhiko traced Mashiro's glance--

A karaoke box, huh...

She was looking at a karaoke box that primarily served Rokumei Academy students. The reception desk was so lenient that they allowed students to go there at night, no questions asked. There was a surveillance camera at the entrance, but there were so many dead spots that it seemed easy enough to enter without being caught on film. And of course, there were no surveillance cameras inside which made it a calming place for the students to let loose from the stress of living in such an uptight town.

Looks like they're open 24 hours. Perfect, right?
Then let's hurry up and get in. There's no point if we linger long enough for them to spot our entrance.

As Natsuhiko started walking up to the door, Salyu tugged on his sleeve.

Hold on... What's a karaoke box?
Huh?
Huh!? Salyu, you don't know what a karaoke box is!?
Never heard of them. What kind of facility is it?
Well, I guess it's a 'facility' for singing songs.
Songs...?

Salyu stared blankly. Natsuhiko heard there were karaoke boxes in France, but Salyu appeared to have no knowledge of them at all.

Well, I guess this is as good a learning opportunity as ever.

Natsuhiko and Mashiro took Salyu into the store.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

NGDBSS posted:

Looking back it's darkly comic that Natsuhiko claimed before that they weren't living in a prison. Kid, you're not just in a prison, but also a panopticon. :cop:

Hey, they're not in a prison. They only get locked up if they try to leave. See? Perfectly fine!

Edit: I'm going to note that you might want sound for something upcoming, if you've heard of the existence of it.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 4, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm sorry, "we need to be careful not to get caught" is not a quote from one specific (fictional) anime.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cyouni posted:

Edit: I'm going to note that you might want sound for something upcoming, if you've heard of the existence of it.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, and I feel like I should know. I guess you can't send me a PM... hm, suppose it'd be easiest to do it by mail. Shoot me a mail at 'themcd *at* vpforums *dot* org' and tell me what you mean, because I probably have not heard of the existence of whatever you're referring to. Either that, or I have, but am oblivious to it. Either way, hit me up.

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm sorry, "we need to be careful not to get caught" is not a quote from one specific (fictional) anime.

It is when Mashiro is saying it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

CHORUS: 09/14/2030, 21:17

They were handed microphones and a remote as they made their way to their room. Natsuhiko hadn't personally been to this store, but he had heard rumors that their policy was lax.

But it was safe, and that was all that mattered. After one final check to make sure there were no surveillance cameras, the kids stretched wide.

Whew... Good grief. I feel like a fugitive.
You okay, Salyu? Not tired?

As Mashiro asked her question, Salyu looked restlessly around the room.

Um... Natsuhiko, how do you sing here?
Huh? Salyu, you mean you want to sing?
Yes. Quite interested.
I'm not quite sure this is the most appropriate occasion to sing, though...

He was thinking it'd be better for them to sleep and let their bodies rest.

Well, why not, Natsuhiko? I'm sure Salyu's got some pent-up stress and anxiety from all that's happened today.
You're too soft on her, Mashiro...

But Mashiro had a point. Natsuhiko reconsidered and spoke again.

A blue branch with Salyu at 7 and Mashiro at 6.

Remote? This thing?
Yes. If you press that button, the song list comes up, see...
Like this...?

Under Mashiro's guidance, Salyu used the remote to bring up a list of songs.

Even though she must've been worried, she still took care of Salyu. Natsuhiko spoke with Mashiro in the time before the song began.

Mashiro, you're kind of like Salyu's older sister.
You're right. I'm happy to have gotten a new little sister, too. I don't have any real siblings, so I've always dreamed of having one.

In any case, it was a pleasant sight for Natsuhiko to see those two get along.

♪ BGM: Foolishness

Until they lost track of the time and felt satisfied. Along the way, Salyu became quite possessive of the microphone.

Um, Salyu, can I sing next?

Even when Mashiro asked nicely, Salyu flat-out rejected her.

No. Five more songs.
N—no way...
Why not, Mashiro? You're the 'older sister' here, so let it slide.
Yeah, but... I know, let's do a duet!

They had small quibbles like that as they sang, but they smiled together. It certainly may not have been the best time to sing. And perhaps they were merely running away from the harsh reality outside. But it was an unmistakable truth that the three of them enjoyed this time they had together.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, and I feel like I should know. I guess you can't send me a PM... hm, suppose it'd be easiest to do it by mail. Shoot me a mail at 'themcd *at* vpforums *dot* org' and tell me what you mean, because I probably have not heard of the existence of whatever you're referring to. Either that, or I have, but am oblivious to it. Either way, hit me up.

Sent. If it wasn't clear enough, it's in the first sound bite in that section.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cyouni posted:

Sent. If it wasn't clear enough, it's in the first sound bite in that section.

Hm, seems I didn't get it. As in, "didn't get the e-mail", not "didn't understand it". Are you on Steam, per chance? If so, you could add me at Steam ID "themcd" (I should be easy to spot, given that I have the same avatar there). Maybe that would work.

I'm starting to get an idea what you might be referring to, but getting confirmation would be better.

EDIT: Putting it this way. If it's in the chapter I'm going to post next, I'm going to not show that for a particular reason. If not, then we can work things out during the voting break.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 4, 2017

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

freshlybaked posted:

Those are the kind of bottles Japanese energy drinks come in. Makes sense, because that poo poo is to red bull as crack is to cocaine. They are potent as hell and got me through mant sleepless nights on my MA.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OK, I only just now got the mail. I'll reply to it.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

Hm, seems I didn't get it. As in, "didn't get the e-mail", not "didn't understand it". Are you on Steam, per chance? If so, you could add me at Steam ID "themcd" (I should be easy to spot, given that I have the same avatar there). Maybe that would work.

I'm starting to get an idea what you might be referring to, but getting confirmation would be better.

I do not appear to be able to find you on Steam, and weirdly enough my email test also failed to send. I've sent it again from another email, but if that fails to get through, I should be findable on Steam under the same name as here.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF: 09/14/2030, 23:01

Mashiro started dozing off as she sat next to Natsuhiko.

Salyu stopped singing and spoke up.

Is Mashiro asleep?
Yeah. I guess she tired herself out.
...Did I make her push herself too hard so she could sing with me?
No, that's not it at all. I think she enjoyed herself too.

And Mashiro was probably able to forget her anxiety too.

It's nothing to worry about. I had fun too, after all.

♪ BGM: Individualist / Theme of Louise

I see... that's good. It was a good experience for me, too. I'm grateful to you two. I never knew it was this fun to sing so enthusiastically.

Something suddenly struck Natsuhiko as he heard those words.

(Maybe... maybe what Salyu enjoyed wasn't the new experience of karaoke... but the new experience of singing out loud?)

Come to think of it, he knew almost nothing about her past.

Say, Salyu?
What is it?
What was your life like back in France?
--

Salyu fell silent at the question.

Ah, no, you don't have to answer if you don't want to. I was just kind of curious.
No, it's not that I don't want to talk about it. I'll talk if you want. It's just that it's not all that interesting--

And with that self-derisive statement, Salyu quietly began to speak.

I was raised inside there almost like a bird in a cage.
Huh, so you really were a high-class girl?
I'm not entirely sure what that means, but perhaps. Both of my parents administrate nuclear power-related businesses in France... apparently. I lived a life devoid of any inconvenience. I was surrounded by private tutors and received training in all sorts of fields.
All sorts of fields?
Studies centered in science. As well as 15 foreign languages, including English, Japanese, and Chinese. Engineering skills. Fine arts including piano and painting. As well as gymnastics and martial arts.
...!

Natsuhiko was shocked. He did think she was an extraordinarily gifted girl, but he didn't expect it to that degree.

I soaked up that knowledge like water into dry sand. The pursuit of knowledge and the mastering of skills were the proof of my existence. My memories consist of nothing else.
You didn't play outside? With neighborhood friends or anything...?
That basically never happened. My parents were quite strict, and so I always stayed at home. I hardly ever felt the need to go outside myself.
I see...

Natsuhiko felt that her upbringing was completely different than theirs. When Natsuhiko was still playing outside, Salyu was already taking advanced private classes at home. Salyu's peculiarities and abilities were probably derived from her upbringing. But he thought that parents who kept their daughter locked away at all times couldn't be very decent parents at all.

(It might not be an easy topic to talk about...)

He didn't know if there were complicated circumstances or if it had something to do with Salyu's heahh. But even so, Natsuhiko asked more questions.

But you seem to be able to go outside now... So did your parents change their minds?
That's not the case at all. Dr. Tenkawa took me away from there.
Huh? Why would Mom do that? How does she even know your parents to begin with?| mean, I did hear that they're distant relatives, but still...
When the professor was young, she lived in France for a period of time. She boarded in our house. Afterwards, she stayed in contact with my parents and that's how she learned about me, apparently. The professor said she wanted to give me freedom.
Mom said that, huh...

It was hard to believe that so suddenly, but Salyu didn't seem to be lying at all.

The professor persuaded my parents to let me study abroad in Japan. That is all I've heard from her.
So that's why you suddenly transferred in at such an odd time... But why was it decided that you'd live at our place?
One reason was because I had no other place to live. Another reason was because the professor wanted me to protect you. I've already said this before, but it's because Rokumei City's public order has recently gotten worse.
Public order, huh... well that's true.

When she had told him a few days ago, he didn't quite understand what she had meant. But today, what she said felt all too real.

(Protect me, huh...)

Apparently, Salyu's training back in France gave her the physical ability and the martial arts skills necessary to lead that security guard by the nose today. Natsuhiko didn't know exactly how much faith his mother had in Salyu, but--

(It's too shameful to have to rely on someone else for protection all the time.) ...Hey, Salyu. You threw that security guard today, didn't you? Do you think I can learn to do that too?
You?
Well, I mean the situation's gotten tense. I want to be able to defend myself, too.
Dabbling just a bit in martial arts won't help much. But there are techniques that even amateurs can use.
Then please, teach me those.
Roger. In that case, grab me by the nape of the neck.
Okay, like this?

Natsuhiko gently reached out for the nape of Salyu's neck. And the very next moment-- Salyu grabbed his hand.

!?
If someone tries to grab you by the neck, first you grab back at their wrist. Then you twist that wrist by wrapping around behind them--

And with an energetic shout from Salyu, Natsuhiko's world turned upside down. Natsuhiko groaned as a shock ran through his back.

Gh, guuh....!

It was an odd sensation. Salyu didn't seem to exert that much strength, and yet she quickly threw him off his feet.

You okay?
Y-yeah...

Salyu explained as Natsuhiko slowly got up.

That was a 'shihonage', or four direction throw. An aikido technique that exploits human reflexes. You're pulling the opponent's elbow backward, so when they instinctively try to escape from the pain, they end up contributing to getting themselves thrown down.
I-I see...!
When the opponent grabs at the nape of the neck, even an amateur can do it. But don't forget. The most important thing in the art of self defense is to get away.
To get away?
Yes. Japan has this proverb, doesn't it? 'A splattering of knowledge can be a dangerous thing.'
You mean a 'smattering' of knowledge? What's a 'splattering' of knowledge? That sounds kind of scary.
...Japanese is hard.
So even you can make mistakes like that, eh. That's kind of a relief.
Shut up, Natsuhiko. Anyway, I'm the one who will protect you. You should fight strictly as a last resort.
Understood. If something happens, I'll count on you first.

Natsuhiko nodded positively to Salyu's suggestion. It was a pity to have to rely on someone else for protection all the time, but what Salyu said was justified.

Thanks for telling me how to do that technique. If only I could do something for you in return--

In that case, there's something I want you to tell me. I just told you about my past. So now I want to hear something about you.
Huh? What about me?
Anything. Like your family, maybe. Your mother is Dr. Tenkawa, but where's your father?
Ah, she hasn't told you? Well, along time ago-- Dad became a star.
A star...?

She didn't seem to understand the euphemism. So Natsuhiko spoke upfront this time.

That, well, that means he died.
Huh...?
He was 32 years old. He was young, but he suffered from cancer. I was 5 at the time, so it's already been over 10 years.
...I'm sorry.
Ah, no, you don't have to worry about it. It's long in the past, so I'm not sad about it at all anymore.

Slight silence spread through the room. After making sure that Alice hadn't made any sounds, Salyu sighed in relief and spoke.

...What kind of person was your father?
Well, I don't really remember. He was apparently a Communicator like me.
Your father?
He was apparently a Rank B Aptitude, Ability Level 4 Communicator, which was rare for someone born before the 'Grand Communicator Discovery'.

Once Natsuhiko finished recounting the secondhand information from his mother, Salyu spoke in agreement.

So you must have inherited your high aptitude from your father. I'm fairly sure the professor's aptitude is only Rank F, after all.
Hmm, I wonder about that...? Well, it is true that Mom doesn't have the aptitude, though.
What do you mean? You have Rank S Aptitude, so it’s only natural to think it's due to your father's genetics.
...Well, about that, Salyu.

Natsuhiko lowered his voice to a whisper.

Actually, my aptitude wasn't always Rank S.
... Huh?
When they tested my aptitude before I started school, it was Rank C. But when they measured me again in elementary school, it had risen to Rank S.

Salyu's eyes widened at the revelation.

...Hold on, what is the meaning of that? Your aptitude is supposed to be determined at birth and stay the same for the rest of your life.
That's what makes the whole thing a mystery. The doctor who measured me was horribly confused, too. There was a commotion of how it was such a rare case, but-- In the end, they decided that the Rank C reading from before I started elementary school was a measurement error, and that my correct aptitude was Rank S.

That was a truth that next to nobody knew. According to the Rokumei Academy student database, Natsuhiko by nature had ''Rank S Aptitude''. The data from his time with ''Rank C Aptitude'' had been erased.

...Does that even happen?
Well, it's stayed as Rank S no matter how many years have passed, so that's probably the correct reading. I guess that's really all that's worth a special mention. I've lived a fairly ordinary life aside from that.
I see...

Natsuhiko suddenly realized how slow Salyu's reaction had been.

I'm sorry, was that a boring story?
Ah... no, not at all. Actually... I've just been terribly exhausted for a while now.

A blue branch with Salyu at 7.

...I've been trying so hard to stay awake so I could listen to your story, but... I'm at my limit.
No, it's okay, it's okay. We can still talk about it any other time.
Okay... then, I'll go sleep...

And then, as if Salyu's soundboard had run out of batteries, her voice faded into the distance.

Thanks... don't mind if I do...

Salyu collapsed onto Natsuhiko's lap and shut her eyes.

Huh? Ah...
Zzz... Zzz...

Salyu dozed off before he could pull a ''just kidding''.

It was just supposed to be a lighthearted joke, but okay...

As he spoke, Natsuhiko remembered Salyu's condition. Since she was unable to understand other people's feelings, then perhaps she couldn't catch jokes either.

(... It would probably be a jerk move on my part to tease her even as a joke.)

In short, he decided it would probably be best to always speak the earnest truth when talking to Salyu. Natsuhiko secretly hid those thoughts as he gazed upon her sleeping face. He considered heading off to sleep himself, but then-- Natsuhiko suddenly got worried about Yuuri.

(I hope she's okay...)

Hopefully the security department people they escaped from didn't force their way into the Tenkawa residence and interrogate Yuuri. Natsuhiko got more and more worried. And Yuuri would probably get worried too if they didn't come back until the next day.

(... I'll go call her.)

Perhaps it was a mistake to leave their PDAs behind. Natsuhiko quietly left the room, trying his best not to make a sound.

(Is there a pay phone anywhere...?)

A blue branch with Yuuri at 5.

He rushed inside, wary of the security department and surveillance cameras. He picked up the receiver and dialed his home phone number. The dial tone rang. However-- Yuuri did not answer.

(...? Is she in her room?)

The only phone at home was in the living room, so if she were in her room, it was understandable that she might not be able to hear the phone ringing. But Natsuhiko waited patiently and eventually the phone connected.

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

Ah, Yuuri?
Hikorin!
Are you okay over there? The security department hasn't tried to get inside, have they?
No, nothing's happened. No need to worry.

Natsuhiko felt relieved to hear Yuuri's relaxed voice.

More importantly, are you guys okay after what happened?
Yeah, no problem here. None of us have been caught yet or anything.
Where are you guys now?
Umm...

Natsuhiko was about to say ''the karaoke box in the shopping district'', but he stopped himself. He was afraid that the phones could be wiretapped. The security department probably wasn't being -that- thorough, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

...Somewhere in the city.
I see...

As if Yuuri had sensed Natsuhiko's misgivings, she pried no further.

Well, there's no need to worry about us, but it doesn't look like we'll be able to come home today. I'm thinking of camping out somewhere like the park with Mashiro and Salyu.

That was a lie. A small diversion in the off chance that the phone actually was tapped.

Camping? Out in the park? Will the girls be okay?
Well, Mashiro's a pretty hardy fellow, you know. And despite her looks, Salyu's actually quite a wild girl.
Huh~?
Yeah, yeah. She even threw a security guard to the ground this afternoon.
...Well, okay, I guess. But don't get too reckless, okay?

Natsuhiko smiled wryly at Yuuri's words.

Hmm... I know I sent you off and all... but I still got more and more worried about you all after you left.
I see...

Though he felt somewhat regretful, Natsuhiko continued.

...But still, I was a little surprised you saw me off so easily.
Huh?
Well, I thought you hated incidents and danger and such more than I did. So why did you say what you said this time? Why the change in heart?

In response to that casual question--

--Yuuri responded softly and ominously.

Huh...?

...To be honest, I've always been thinking... Hikorin, do you truly love the calm life you've been living? Or are you just saying you do so as to not disagree with me...?

Natsuhiko gulped to hear what she was insinuating.

Of course not... I mean, at least I never meant to, but... But what makes you say so all of a sudden?
Those were the words I wished for...? What makes you say that?
... I just knew.

Yuuri's answer was ambiguous, yet confident.

(... That's what I wished for...? Even if that is true, how would she know?)

As he pondered the puzzle, a certain doubt rose up in his mind.

(... No way. Is Yuuri...)

But before he could finish that thought, Yuuri muttered.

...Sorry if I'm wrong about this, but... Hikorin, have you ever thought that you wanted to 'return to your past self'?
My past self?
Have you been holding yourself back from doing anything all this time out of concern for me...? Things like stepping up to the face of danger by yourself...
No. Why would I do that on purpose?
That's a normal response. But you know, I've been thinking. That you truly are the type of person to choose the just path... no matter how dangerous that path may be.

The phone's connection suddenly cut off there. Before he knew it, the hustle and bustle of the town disappeared too, leaving Natsuhiko wrapped in silence. The only sound echoing through the silence was the ticking of Natsuhiko's watch. But soon enough, even that sound stopped.

(... Again?)

(Back to reality again, huh...)

He already knew. He knew that all this time, he was merely having a recollection of September 14. He knew that his recollections of the past were gradually getting closer to the present.

(To the day this watch broke...)

In the dead silence, Natsuhiko's consciousness returned-- to September 16.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

YUURI - SEPTEMBER 16: 09/16/2030, 07:09

--Natsuhiko recalled that long day in just a moment's time. He recalled the collapse of his calm daily life... As well as how he plunged into the maelstrom of an incident with Mashiro and Salyu.

(That's right... no matter how far I am from Yuuri, I must fulfill my promise to her.)

The passageway was blocked by fire on both sides, leaving nowhere to escape. But regardless--

...Hey, Hikorin. Think hard about the path you should take.

Those words fanned the fire burning in Natsuhiko's heart.

(She's right... No matter what the danger, I'll take the correct path. Or else I have no hope of overcoming the past!)

Natsuhiko grabbed Mashiro by the hand.

Don't give up...! Let's go, Mashiro!
Huh? Wh-where!?
Let's take a different path! This isn't the only way to Area 5!

Natsuhiko recalled the map he had just seen.

This is the path that connects Area 4 and 5's outer rings. Even if this path is a dead end, the inner ring path could still be an option...
Th-then if we can get to Area 4's inner ring...?
Yeah. Let's cut back through the Area 4 fire and enter Area 5 through the inner ring. That gives us a hell of a better chance of survival than staying here and doing nothing!
Y... yeah!

Mashiro looked a little bewildered, but she replied strongly soon enough. Yuuri smiled as if she were watching over the two of them.

Okay... let's go, guys.

Natsuhiko gripped the girls' hands tight.

Okay, first up, close your eyes! And don't you dare let go of my hand! If you stick with me, we'll definitely escape!
G-got it!
Hikorin, be careful!

Natsuhiko nodded and ran, leading them by the hand. Mashiro's gait was a little uncertain though, perhaps because of fear. However, Yuuri was surprisingly calm and matched Natsuhiko's pace perfectly. As a result, Natsuhiko wasn't too heavily burdened and they were able to run confidently, but-- Eventually, the smoke got to Natsuhiko's eyes, blurring them over with tears.

(Ghh... endure it! If I stop here, Mashiro and Yuuri are as good as dead!)

Natsuhiko desperately ran despite his blurred vision--

And unlike the outer ring, the inner ring had no signs of fire.

We're saved... It's okay now, you two!

The girls spoke as Natsuhiko took deep breaths.

Th-thank you, Natsuhiko...!
That was a close one, huh...!
Yeah, but we can't relax just yet. Not before we get to Area 5...

Mashiro's face froze at Natsuhiko's words.

Y-you're right... I wonder if the connecting passageway here is safe?
I hope it is...!

They prayed as they walked into the connecting passageway. But they didn't see any sign of fire or smoke in this path.

Okay, looks good!
Yes!
Let's hurry to Area 5!

The three of them rushed off in high spirits.

(The broadcast said that the staircases in Areas 5 and 6 were safe...! Quite some time has passed since then... but please still be safe!)

They rushed to the staircase with that hope in mind--

But what waited for them behind the door was only the wreckage of what once was a staircase.

N-no way... it's no good here either...!?
Don't tell me all the staircases have...?

The three of them left the staircase landing with drooping shoulders. Natsuhiko suddenly got worried about Salyu. After pondering for a second, he sent her telepathy.

{Salyu, can you hear me? Where are you right now?}

--And after a little while, he learned about her whereabouts.

... Good news, you two. I just contacted Salyu with BC and it looks like she's already escaped through Area 6.
Really!?
We can't give up either. There are still other emergency staircases remaining. There are ones in Area 5's outer ring and Area 6 as well. If any of the remaining three are safe, then...
Then should we go to the outer ring?
No, judging by the force of the flames in the connecting passageway, there's a high possibility that Area 5's outer ring is blazing up. Let's go to Area 6 first and--

The moment Natsuhiko began to speak,

Uwah!?
Wh-what's that!?
M-my ears hurt!

It was a loud alarm unlike what they had heard before. An automatic broadcast voice followed.

Automatic PA: --A 'Case N' has just been detected. In accordance with this emergency, security has shifted to Blockade Mode. Looking down all gates and bulkheads. All facility personnel, please administer AD, take shelter in the nearest room, and stay in place.

Natsuhiko looked toward the connecting passageway in shock.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Oh no!

Natsuhiko rushed over to the gate and tried opening it. But no matter how much strength he used, no matter how much he pressed the open button, the gate wouldn't budge one bit.

Dammit...!
Wh-what's the meaning of this!?
I don't know, but I guess 'Evacuation Mode' is over... All the gates that had been open just got locked again.
Th-then...!
We've been locked inside the building...!

Natsuhiko muttered in a grave voice.

(What do we do...!?)

The broadcast said that all gates were locked. That probably included the gate to the outer ring and the gate to Area 4 as well.

(Dammit, is there no way out!?)

Natsuhiko looked around with that thought in mind. Upon which, a look of astonishment rose up on Yuuri's face.

... I can't believe it... This is happening again. It's like a repeat of nine years ago.
...Nine years ago...!?

Yuuri's words jogged Natsuhiko's memory the moment they left her lips.

Ah...

Nine years ago, they had also been locked here in Area 5.

(That's right... back then, we heard that same announcement...! The gates had been shut!)

The image of Yuuri sobbing rose up in the back of Natsuhiko's head.

(What happened to us after that--!?)

But the more he tried to remember the details, the worse his head ached.

!!

That was the very fragment of the past he had been avoiding. The memory that had haunted them for nine whole years--

(Why is this happening again...!?)

Natsuhiko endured his headache and looked towards Yuuri.

(If it's hurting me this much, then Yuuri must be--!?)

I'm okay, Hikorin.
But Yuuri...! I haven't grown at all... I came here and got us locked up in here again... In the end, I haven't overcome the past at all...!

As Natsuhiko vocalized his bitter regrets, Yuuri gently replied.

...It's too early to know that for certain. In the days leading up to today, you've gained the strength you needed to overcome the past, haven't you? When you were with the others, you were always fine. You overcame the truth and the malice thrust before you that day, after all... So I'm sure you can overcome the past this time.
(That day...!? Which day!?)

As Natsuhiko mulled over Yuuri's confusing choice of words, he heard the sound of his watch ticking.

To ''9/15'' at ''7:09 AM''.

(... Yesterday, huh. The day we got close to the truth...!)

Yuuri whispered to the pensive Natsuhiko.

...Hikorin. It's time for you to remember. It was probably by no coincidence that you've come this far. So, are you prepared...?

The moment Yuuri said that--

We're in the home stretch now, folks. The Case N has been declared on September 16th, and we're flashing back to the last day before that. We're barrelling towards a conclusion now.

VOTING

We've definitely passed the last bad end now. If it had come, it would have been here. So from here on out, the impact the Senses inputs have will be limited to blue branches and friendship scenes. You'll also notice we didn't have a Yuuri friendship scene this time around - seems like we fell off those tracks due to a Favor deficiency, meaning we've only got Mashiro left.

So, once more, pick between Top, High, Middle, Low and Bottom for Natsuhiko, Yuuri, Mashiro and Salyu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I see no reason to not put everyone at top. No funny bad endings are left, and the trio of kids are gelling together well. Yuuri is a bit suspect, but I think she's trying to do what's best for Natsuhiko, so I'll rate her at top as well.

• Locked thread