Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Exdeath amazingly good for this event because of having holy plus the ability to doublecast all of the mobs for their weakness except for the Thunder Gigas or whatever it was called

i did eight pulls, i know the units are crap but i dont care i enjoy the game. i got three sprites and one girl, and holy poo poo they actually somewhat carry Exdeath by having auto attacks that chain like crazy. three sprites and a girl frequently get an 18 chain going for Exdeath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

dangerous.hotdog posted:

That's pretty painful. At least it's a two week long thing. I feel a cactaur dunes or maze event incoming soon...

Gil Snapper Cave was this week, so next week? Welp. Hello Dunes.

That's stupidly easy to predict, by the way - the cycle is Chamber of Crystals -> Gil Snapper Cave -> Cactuar Dunes -> Repeat. And yes, they space out King Mog events so that Cactuar Dunes will almost always hit right at the start or in the middle of a grindfest.

Alpha Mayo posted:

He is pretty mediocre for a base 5* right now. The main problem with Randi is that he lacks damaging abilities. He basically has two moves:
-Slice Thrice, 215% ST damage, applies 35% DEF break, costs 30mp
-Full Moon slash (event materia), 162% effective ST damage, 25% Full Break, 23mp

He also doesn't have defensive utility or AoE. Purely physical DPS with mild breaking abilities and decent Killer passives.

His enhancements will make him much better in the future, possibly even top-tier. He will gain wind damage, 100% ATK for using sword (instead of 35%), native Doublehand, +100% stat self-buff, faster LBs, a good AoE attack, and a very strong,10-hit ST attack.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/wiki/units/330

tl;dr: Randi is a Base 5* Firion with fewer Mastery skills, a better TMR, and slightly better futureproofing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

KataraniSword posted:

tl;dr: Randi is a Base 5* Firion with fewer Mastery skills, a better TMR, and slightly better futureproofing.

Isn't his futureproofing based largely on enhancements and doublehand? Whereas what they'll do for enhancements, if we get them, are entirely up in the air and doublehand doesn't stack in global?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Ooh, the Dark Lich theme. Memories.

Anyway, I think Randy is okay and I am an optimist and Tim Gunn would be proud of my attitude. Yeah, yeah, big numbers get bigger, whee. Half of the fun I derive from roleplaying games is from making it work.

Also, timing the Cactaur Dunes during a grinding event is actually kind of good for newer players, as if gives them something they can actually accomplish if they can't hang with the event completers.

I mean, it's annoying for us veterans, sure.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i had a bunch of magic pots sitting around as my exdeath was capped and i didnt feel like raising another exdeath to 6* so ive been cramming them into girl and equipped her with some decent stuff so maybe if there are any newer players on my friend list she can carry them through some of the event

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Yeah, I got Primm with my half price pull and Popoi with 1 ticket so I'm already done with the banner and feel set for the event. No reason to burn a bunch of tickets chasing a 5* that may or may not end up really good.

Starting with the christmas raid event, I've had so many gigataurs thrown at me I ended up leveling a bunch of characters that may or may not ever see use before mail expired and the end of the Dr. Mog turn in for the type-0 event. Managed to do all the following:
Exdeath #2 3* -> 6* max
Firion 4* -> 5* max
Chizuru 5* -> 6* max
Maxwell 5* -> 5* max
Rain 5* -> 6* max
Tilith 5* -> 5* max
Nichols 3* -> 5* max (for story lapis)
Black Cat Lid 3* -> 5* max
Locke 4* -> 5* max
Ariana 6*
Fina 3* -> 5* (for story lapis)
Primm 4* -> 5* lvl 55

And I *still* have 25 sacred crystals to spare
December and January were straight up insane for exp.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

The Dream :vince:

Got a little over 2k candy total after the bonus, good poo poo (on pro).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nuebot posted:

Isn't his futureproofing based largely on enhancements and doublehand? Whereas what they'll do for enhancements, if we get them, are entirely up in the air and doublehand doesn't stack in global?

Firion's futureproofing is equally based on enhancements in order to give him a damaging move and beef up his Killer passives. I'll grant the doublehand fact, but from all I've heard you can still double up with native DH+a single TMR DH; you just can't stack multiples.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Alpha Mayo posted:

His enhancements will make him much better in the future, possibly even top-tier. He will gain wind damage, 100% ATK for using sword (instead of 35%), native Doublehand, +100% stat self-buff, faster LBs, a good AoE attack, and a very strong,10-hit ST attack.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/wiki/units/330

He also gets his status resist passive turned in to an MP regenerating status immunity.

rabidsquid posted:

Exdeath amazingly good for this event because of having holy plus the ability to doublecast all of the mobs for their weakness except for the Thunder Gigas or whatever it was called

i did eight pulls, i know the units are crap but i dont care i enjoy the game. i got three sprites and one girl, and holy poo poo they actually somewhat carry Exdeath by having auto attacks that chain like crazy. three sprites and a girl frequently get an 18 chain going for Exdeath.

Exdeath can hit the gigas with earth shaker to take care of its weakness. I one round everything with my Exdeath trio. :iia:

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
16 Tickets
3* Roselia
3* Sprite Candy Mule
3* Locke
3* Tellah
3* Elle
3* Cyan
3* Duane
3* Miyuki
3* Krile
3* BUTZ
4* Cecil
3* Alma
3* Amarant
3* Sprite Candy Mule dos
3* Sprite Candy Mule tres
3* Sprite Candy Mule quatro
3* Vaan

It did its job at least, Kinda. Still would want Primm though.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Think I'm gonna skip this banner entirely. I've been lucky and have a lot of TM to grind, and none of these units are worth chasing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'm barely sure I want to do the event itself. Even being able to blitz the levels it's just more of the same poo poo and the cost of that gigas axe is loving ludicrous.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Yeah Ill skip on the axe. That cost is dildos.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
At least get the Soul Crown, its great for healers, offering 20 Def/ 20 Spirit and 5% bonus to all elemental resistances.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.

hamsystem posted:

Use Ling to spr break and one Ultima from DFina usually does it. Also, Ling is amazing. CoD gonna be benched for awhile.

Ling is hella cool yeah. With her break a single Meteor can take down the slime, and noctis can take out everyone but the last boss, and that slime of course, in one shot with warp break. Also wicked light hits like a semi after her break. I think I could prob single shot the whole event with just ling noctis and exdeath, and none of them are really all that outrageous. Noctis is at 616 Atk and exdeath is only at like 510 mag so they aren't the beasts some of you jokers run.

Agreed ling has definitely earned herself a permanent spot in the lineup. Even though her breaks don't do any damage themselves it's more than made up for by her excellent utility. If someone pulled her and is sitting on her till later do yourself a favor and get to levellin her asap.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gumi's support kind of sucks. I sent in a help request about the mailbox eating my poo poo and the first response was a canned "items expire, not our problem." So I told them that the items had been recent, from the lucky packets and nowhere near expiring. So they told me I used my gigantaur recently (from last night's lucky packet and the ariana reward) which doesn't change the fact that the mail box at ten others and five king power pots..

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Spent a king mog ticket on the CNY banner and blue reformed all the way up to Rainbow and got me my Yun after I had all about given up, happy days, the king mog events are redeemed.

I'm just a single Snow away from the potential for SSJ Firion, gear wise at least, dunno what to do for materia beyond dual wield.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
drat, congrats dude.
We can still get Ling and Yun in the future right?

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

I'm pretty certain I'm not going to get a single Rabite at this rate. I've run ELT probably 40 times (with energy from Red Packs) an haven't seen a single one. I guess my decent luck in past events has caught up with me and it's my turn to get nothing extra the whole event.

edit: Literally next run is 6 Rabites. I think the game heard me talking poo poo.

Ratmtattat fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 4, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Rainbow trolled again today with a Rosa. This is getting really annoying the base pull change can't come soon enough. Guaranteed we don't get it before Orlandu though.

Alexei
Aug 16, 2007

I used 10 summon tickets yesterday, and lucked into a Randi! I got him to level 100 and tried to deck him out as much as I could for this event, if anyone wants to use him.

My player ID: 526,246,574

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

PaybackJack posted:

Guaranteed we don't get it before Orlandu though.

notsureifserious.jpg

Of course not. They will wait for the inevitable Orlandu whale quitting outcry and then come down as the messiah from heaven promising to implement it right away.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Isn't Primm basically a bloated Bedile?

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
I did 22 pulls (half price pull, 10 tickets and an 11 pull) on the SoM banner. Got 3 Popoi and Mercedes was my ONLY gold crystal.
This game is aggressively telling me my Iuck is poo poo.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
^^^ I've been getting a pretty decent amount of golds lately but aside from ling, which i am hella glad I pulled cause she's the poo poo, they've all been exclusively trash. In the past week and a half I've gotten at least 3 4 star Edgars, 2 bediles, and some penellos and Russell's thrown in for extra aggravation

I think I'd rather get no rainbows at all rather than getting one and have it be loving hayate or some trash again. Those things are so drat rare as it is that it wouldn't kill Gummi to make it so only base 5 star guys pull off rainbows. Of course that would entail them actually giving a poo poo about their player base and well I'm sure people in hell want ice water too. How big of an impact is the drop rate change anyway? I'm sure it was broken down in the thread before but I can't remember how it shakes out for the life of me

Pokemaster #421 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 4, 2017

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

hagie posted:

Isn't Primm basically a bloated Bedile?
A bloated Bedile with a holy-elemental Ultima, which synergizes well with Orlandeau. Has the same problem as Ace, in that it can't be dual cast.

Edit: Enhancements will eventually give Saintly Beam the Ultima piercing effect and raise it to 400% damage, which is where the futureproofing comes in.

Varance fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 4, 2017

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Varance posted:

A bloated Bedile with a holy-elemental Ultima, which synergizes well with Orlandeau. Has the same problem as Ace, in that it can't be dual cast.

Primm's holy nuke type ability can be chained off somebody else with Excalibur swords, but it's hard. I've done it a few times against the slime.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Also her basic attack hits so much I've been using her to combo chain Gilgamesh and Exdeath. Turns out a Grand Cross with 20 hits before it just does as much damage as having a couple buffs/breaks up.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
55 runs of PRO = three encounters with Rabites.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

HGH posted:

drat, congrats dude.
We can still get Ling and Yun in the future right?

Literally every global exclusive has been limited time. Ace is the one exception in that he's a JP character with a global-exclusive skill.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Pokemaster #421 posted:

I think I'd rather get no rainbows at all rather than getting one and have it be loving hayate or some trash again. Those things are so drat rare as it is that it wouldn't kill Gummi to make it so only base 5 star guys pull off rainbows. Of course that would entail them actually giving a poo poo about their player base and well I'm sure people in hell want ice water too. How big of an impact is the drop rate change anyway? I'm sure it was broken down in the thread before but I can't remember how it shakes out for the life of me

They did this in Japan eventually. In theory we'll get it too, but it's by no means a guaranteed thing.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Spent 10,000 candy yesterday on the gigantaurs to power level Primm and just now got enough for:

2 Lapis refreshes and 1 rank up that I timed almost perfectly. I'm running Popoi and Primm with a Randi or Primm in the friend slot. I think I got room for one more banner unit and still be able to handle ELT. I want both Trust Moogles so I can stash them for the future, not to use immediately. I want 10 so that when I get some rare pull with an epic TM I can just go ahead and max his trust.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So, I'm gonna keep Randy up for the event, but afterwards, would people prefer him, Ling or Lightning as a friend character?

More Ling questions: is there a clear answer for "next normal attack?" Would Barrage or Bladeblitz count?

\/\/\/ wait you can get TM gear!?!? I only have Barrage and Dual Wield because I am not using macros as I'm on a Mac and nobody cares about Macs for dumb reasons. Ling it is, I guess.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 5, 2017

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So, I'm gonna keep Randy up for the event, but afterwards, would people prefer him, Ling or Lightning as a friend character?

More Ling questions: is there a clear answer for "next normal attack?" Would Barrage or Bladeblitz count?

If you have an almost full set of TM gear, Lightning. Otherwise Ling.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Literally every global exclusive has been limited time. Ace is the one exception in that he's a JP character with a global-exclusive skill.
I was gonna point out their banner doesn't say Time Limited like SoM but I would not put it beyond Gumi's incompetence to have forgotten about it.
Ugh...I have a Refia and all the Full Breakers I could want outside WoL. Should I chase Ling?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

HGH posted:

I was gonna point out their banner doesn't say Time Limited like SoM but I would not put it beyond Gumi's incompetence to have forgotten about it.
Ugh...I have a Refia and all the Full Breakers I could want outside WoL. Should I chase Ling?

if the wiki is correct, the Secret of Mana characters are time limited too.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That's the banner I was referring to, it explicitly has "Time Limited Unit!" plastered all over it, but Yun and Ling's doesn't, presumably cause Xiao is there or something.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

See, I think a better new years (regular new years) event would be a super limited banner that with increase rates to all global exclusive units. Just have it pop up for a day then go away until the next new year.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

HGH posted:

That's the banner I was referring to, it explicitly has "Time Limited Unit!" plastered all over it, but Yun and Ling's doesn't, presumably cause Xiao is there or something.

mistook what you were saying, and yeah might be that because i dont recall the winter banner having the time limited notice either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i actually have now acquired a third snow, which i forgot to mention when i did but i was going to ask how realistic it would be to need three of his TM. i am guessing its not that nuts since two are going on firion and i presume he's not the only decent fist unit ever

• Locked thread