Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Cool find. Those old Dodges are getting harder to find.

Seconded, would drive, especially V8 stir-yer-own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Seconded, would drive, especially V8 stir-yer-own.

Ever since I started buying and driving old trucks I've lusted after a 4 speed and now that I've got one it's everything I imagined and more :allears: The clutch is a mechanical linkage and it's not like any other manual I've driven, it's super picky about RPM which will take some getting used to as there's no working tach. There was an aftermarket one wired to the distributor (what the PO said, anyway), but it has stopped working. Apparently it keeps blowing fuses and electrical stuff is intermittent, it was weird until I saw the state of the wiring. Probably going to rewire the truck in phases, starting with the stuff that controls the vent fan.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Breakfast Feud posted:

Ever since I started buying and driving old trucks I've lusted after a 4 speed and now that I've got one it's everything I imagined and more :allears: The clutch is a mechanical linkage and it's not like any other manual I've driven, it's super picky about RPM which will take some getting used to as there's no working tach. There was an aftermarket one wired to the distributor (what the PO said, anyway), but it has stopped working. Apparently it keeps blowing fuses and electrical stuff is intermittent, it was weird until I saw the state of the wiring. Probably going to rewire the truck in phases, starting with the stuff that controls the vent fan.

What you said there is pretty much "Chrysler."

My dad's '79 Dodge shortbed had some of the worst electrical I've ever seen, and it was all stock. The bulkhead connector in particular was a pain point.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Last ride in the 348:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Oh, are we complaining about Chrysler electrical?

I had a 1990 Dodge Grand Caravan. Go ahead, make the jokes, I'll wait. 3.3L V6, "ice blue", and a sliding door that a 2-year-old pulled off one day.

At one point, going down a terrible dirt road on Vancouver Island, I high-centered it very briefly on the trailer hitch receiver, which had the trailer hitch wiring wrapped around it to keep it out of the way. I didn't notice and it wasn't until months later when a fuse in the panel by my left knee burned out spectacularly on the middle of the Granville Bridge in Vancouver - black smoke pouring out of my window in downtown Vancouver rush-hour. $1000 later - and they felt bad for me and stopped charging me after one full day - the terrible, terrible electrical gremlins were traced to that pinch-cut trailer wire. If I remember correctly, replacing the trailer wire (I think a $20 part) fixed the problems I'd been having with the headlights, cold starts, and windshield wipers. The malfunctioning right turn signal was caused by a blown bulb.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ExecuDork posted:

I had a 1990 Dodge Grand Caravan. Go ahead, make the jokes, I'll wait. 3.3L V6, "ice blue", and a sliding door that a 2-year-old pulled off one day.

At one point, going down a terrible dirt road on Vancouver Island, I high-centered it very briefly on the trailer hitch receiver, which had the trailer hitch wiring wrapped around it to keep it out of the way. I didn't notice and it wasn't until months later when a fuse in the panel by my left knee burned out spectacularly on the middle of the Granville Bridge in Vancouver - black smoke pouring out of my window in downtown Vancouver rush-hour. $1000 later - and they felt bad for me and stopped charging me after one full day - the terrible, terrible electrical gremlins were traced to that pinch-cut trailer wire. If I remember correctly, replacing the trailer wire (I think a $20 part) fixed the problems I'd been having with the headlights, cold starts, and windshield wipers. The malfunctioning right turn signal was caused by a blown bulb.

I had a 1994 in WINEBERRY (it was loving purple.) with a high top conversion and 4 completely blown shocks.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Finally got a new car to replace the TDI I turned in, 2004 LS430(next to my miata for scale). Huge grandpa car but I love it more the more I drive it. Turn off traction control and it will happily spin the rear tires pulling away from a stop, but when driving normally it is completely smooth. Managed to find one that does not have the terrible navigation/hvac combo thing. Already installed a bluetooth adapter for streaming music/phone calls. I still have to wire up the mic and AUX input, but I am really impressed with how well it works.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

That's amazing. Also, one hell of a failure of the fuses and fusebox to do their job.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I love that shade of blue. I'd love to own an e92 M3.

I'd hate to pay the costs of owning an e92 M3. :v:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I love that shade of blue. I'd love to own an e92 M3.

I'd hate to pay the costs of owning an e92 M3. :v:

Then that's good it's an E90! All things considered it's one of the more durable drivetrains of any BMW.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Then that's good it's an E90! All things considered it's one of the more durable drivetrains of any BMW.

My glib comments aside, that's also my understanding of the E90. As far as M cars go it's a relatively reliable one. I would unironically love to have one that came with a proper maintenance history.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Thanks! It's been a fun couple of days since I got it. I've been working towards getting one for a few years and have borderline obsessed about it. I've posted more details in the BMW thread. It's everything I wanted in a car plus a few wish list items. Spotless history and PPI made me confident in my purchase. Now the countdown begins for failed throttle body actuators and rod bearing replacement :kingsley:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

kimbo305 posted:

Last ride in the 348:

Still hot.

hobes
Jan 15, 2007

Fight! Fight! Comrade!

hobes posted:

My current project and hopeful daily driver. - '86 FJ60.

Picked it up in March of 2016 and now that I'm not traveling near as much, work can commence.

Terrible Robot posted:

Please make a thread for that, holy poo poo what a clean example of one of the best Land Cruisers.

cursedshitbox posted:

No poo poo. those FJ60s are amazing trucks from imo the best era of Toyota. Please post (a lot) more pictures.

blk posted:

Beautiful - those are getting really expensive around me, do you mind if I ask what you paid for what mileage/condition?

Thanks y'all. Definitely appreciate the compliments. It was $8.5k which included an uninstalled Ironman 2.5" lift/suspension replacement with their foam cell shocks. Mileage was ~216k on the motor+frame.

I would describe the overall condition as a solid "good." The motor is as strong as a carbureted 2F can be and is as quiet as any I've ever heard. The AC pump is seized and needs to be replaced which is a 4-5 beer job. It was repainted at some point in its life (10-15 years ago I believe) and looks incredible in person.

Funny enough, after posting this picture I had an issue where it started stalling out at speeds above 35mph. Pulled the carb, it was clean but went ahead and rebuilt it anyways (the parts were on hand). Some time during that process I killed the fuse for the idle solenoid, so after a quick 10A swap and installing the carb again, she was running smooth again. Thinking I'd cured the fuel delivery issue I took what I thought was going to be a quick trip to the gas station to fuel up. Boy, was I wrong. Stalling a 5000lb truck while at speed on the interstate is not a fun experience.

Had it towed to our local Land Cruiser shop (5 minutes up the road) and went by to check it out the next morning. Fuel filter - completely clogged, fuel pump - great shape!, gas tank - awful. There was a solid inch of assorted sediment in the bottom that was getting kicked up with all of the recent drive time. So, we pumped the gas out, dropped the tank, and had it sent off for boiling, cleaning, and sealing + painting. While the truck was on the lift we noticed just how awful the c-channels above the rear axle was. Fortunately it's the only part of the frame/body that has significant rust/rot. On Saturday I spent about 5 hours with an angle grinder and air chisel pulling the old channels out. The guys at the shop cut out the dead frame sections and we reinforced the frame, installed the channels, welded it all up and painted it. Here are a few pics showing the end result with one pic showing the tank out (and you can see how bad the section of frame was).

Looking forward to getting back out on the roads after the tank is returned!

hobes fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 4, 2017

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
gently caress 60s are cool

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

slurry_curry posted:

Finally got a new car to replace the TDI I turned in, 2004 LS430(next to my miata for scale). Huge grandpa car but I love it more the more I drive it. Turn off traction control and it will happily spin the rear tires pulling away from a stop, but when driving normally it is completely smooth. Managed to find one that does not have the terrible navigation/hvac combo thing. Already installed a bluetooth adapter for streaming music/phone calls. I still have to wire up the mic and AUX input, but I am really impressed with how well it works.

You made an excellent choice.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

A grandpa car you'll be able to hand down to your grandkids.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Since I finished working on my seats I'd figured I should take the car out for a drive and see how they felt.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Last ride in the 348:

So cool. Has ownership been painful? What's replacing it?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

So cool. Has ownership been painful? What's replacing it?

There were small things wrong with it, but it was overall fine for a year and a half: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742600
Not sure yet on replacement, if anything.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Been looking for a modern wagon to replace the Roadmaster and I ended up with a Fiat somehow.

2013 500 Turbo
5 speed
50k miles

The torque steer in this thing is epic, very fun car to drive. I'd have gotten an Abarth or a Focus/Fiesta ST, but the suspension in those is way too tight for Houston's terrible roads.

Almost got a CTS wagon, but the one I bought ended up needing a ton of work so it got returned. Couldn't find another in my price range, so I decided to focus on finishing the Volvo 265 project and just get a small car to supplement it.

edit, gonna be selling the Roadmaster, Hornet, and Mark VII in another month or so once work calms down, if anyone in AI wants first dibs. They all run, although the Roadmaster needs a new water pump and optispark (gently caress the LT1).

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 6, 2017

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Serving its purpose.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

Since I can't drive the thing due to this freak Vancouver winter dumping like a foot of snow last night, might as well post pictures. Bought this 3 months ago...so far enjoying it, though not loving the fuel consumption. As a bonus, had a Corsa exhaust on it that the dealership wasn't even aware it had.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

TeamIce posted:

Since I can't drive the thing due to this freak Vancouver winter dumping like a foot of snow last night, might as well post pictures. Bought this 3 months ago...so far enjoying it, though not loving the fuel consumption. As a bonus, had a Corsa exhaust on it that the dealership wasn't even aware it had.

Nice! I think if you get 15mpg you're doing well in those. They're seriously nutty though and the smiles per gallon makes up for it.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
This is my current soccer mom car that I daily drive. I'm a mid 30s dude with kids and unfortunately need to have a vehicle that is reasonably functional. I tried to live with a more fun but less functional coupe for a while but it just didn't work.

It has the 2.0 ecoboost so it can get going alright and doesn't handle terribly for being an SUV...I try to tell myself it's a raised up Focus ST to make myself feel better :sigh:

It's a fully loaded Titanium though so it has no shortage of luxury features anyway. It's a nice place to sit on commutes.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 7, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nothing wrong with boring practicality when that's what life calls for.

Good looking car. Enjoy it and your family. You can get something small and sporty later.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TeamIce posted:

The CTS wagon with the 3.0 that I was driving for a few days was quick enough for what it was, but yeah the V is just insane. It's too bad the V wagons are holding their value so well, I'd kill for one of those.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

TeamIce posted:

[]http://i.imgur.com/bia7O94.jpg[/timg]
[]http://i.imgur.com/QLbuMS8.jpg[/timg]
[]http://i.imgur.com/2dwiBam.jpg[/timg]

I came within a carfax of buying one of these in Crystal Red a couple years ago. They're beautiful cars. There was a title issue, so I settled for a 392 Challenger instead.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

Sir Tonk posted:

The CTS wagon with the 3.0 that I was driving for a few days was quick enough for what it was, but yeah the V is just insane. It's too bad the V wagons are holding their value so well, I'd kill for one of those.

Yeah, it goes like hell. That being said, I'm coming off of a Kawasaki ZX14R I had last summer, so it feels like a slug in comparison. Do appreciate having airbags after what happened to the bike though.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What the poo poo I wish I had a missile

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
even better, its in the yard at ebisu already

40 something days now

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Do a burnout then some skids

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

This is my current daily driver, and fast becoming a strange blend between restoring and overhauling:

I moved down to Texas last year. My '94 Thunderbird V8 rusted out from living up north, and at the same time I was saving up to buy a fullsize Bronco, so I thought, why not both?

The paint is totally burnt out, but there's no clearcoat so it does polish up nice. However, it is road chipped to hell and back.

One thing that baffles me is the interior is spotless everywhere but in the cargo area. I think it was stored halfway in a carport or something.

I was toying with the idea of the sedan instead. However, when I test drove a craigslist one and discovered the sheer size of the wagon and how well they drove, I was hooked.

This sold me on it:

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
That's fantastic and I love it. Post pics of the motor and more of the dash and interior controls.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
New ride, took months waiting to pounce on the right car and so far it's been amazing

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Do a burnout then some skids

Literally what's it's going to be used for

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Luxrage posted:

This is my current daily driver, and fast becoming a strange blend between restoring and overhauling:

I moved down to Texas last year. My '94 Thunderbird V8 rusted out from living up north, and at the same time I was saving up to buy a fullsize Bronco, so I thought, why not both?

The paint is totally burnt out, but there's no clearcoat so it does polish up nice. However, it is road chipped to hell and back.

One thing that baffles me is the interior is spotless everywhere but in the cargo area. I think it was stored halfway in a carport or something.

I was toying with the idea of the sedan instead. However, when I test drove a craigslist one and discovered the sheer size of the wagon and how well they drove, I was hooked.

This sold me on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGfVAigjsrg

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

AI is pulling some cool as hell cars as of late. Wagon rules, the Porsche rules (actually all the Porsches rule)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Luxrage posted:

This sold me on it:

Oh my loving goooooodddd :circlefap: