Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Arcsquad12 posted:

Disney does realize that the Empire uses more than just Tie Fighters and Star Destroyers, right?

Should at least have interceptors. The multiseated tie fighters in tfa were pretty groanworthy, though at least they're not doing the clone wars ship of the week thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cptn_dr posted:

On another subject entirely, apparently Barnes and Noble are going to be giving away two posters with the release of the third Aftermath novel.

and

I like that the empire is just Pro-Human dickheads and doesnt give a gently caress about race/gender, because thats how i always viewed them.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Disney does realize that the Empire uses more than just Tie Fighters and Star Destroyers, right?

eh its supposed to be propaganda. all the plebs know about is Star destroyers and ties.

VaultAggie posted:

Edit; Bloodlines is probably the best book written about Leia, in old canon or new.

i keep hearing how good it is and its in cheap paper back so i dont have an excuse anymore.

Wheat Loaf posted:

New Rebellion is the one where they bomb the senate. Black Fleet is the one with the Yevetha.

new rebellion is the one i have always wanted to read for some reason, even though its apparently complete poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i keep hearing how good it is and its in cheap paper back so i dont have an excuse anymore.

new rebellion is the one i have always wanted to read for some reason, even though its apparently complete poo poo.
Bloodline is good but depressing. Not to be confused with Bloodlines which is a piece of Karen Traviss poo poo.

The New Rebellion is pretty dumb. The scheme the bad guy concocts is just incredibly stupid, as is how it gets resolved. I mainly wanted to read it because I understood Brakiss was in it, and I wanted to understand his history with Luke. As it turns out there is almost nothing there, and his appearance is as much of a wet fart as the rest of the book. None of that ever got any treatment in a book except some later mention that Brakiss would have been in the first class of the Jedi Academy but goes unmentioned in the trilogy just like Corran. Young Jedi Knights builds him up to be an important character, enough that you'd expect him of having some impact on the adult books, but he really doesn't. The Remnant was apparently really running out or ideas and talent at that point. They chose the most inconsequential guy in the galaxy to be the headmaster of the Sith version of DeVry.

The whole episode was one of my earliest disappointments with the EU.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

On another subject entirely, apparently Barnes and Noble are going to be giving away two posters with the release of the third Aftermath novel.

and

Lack of technical creativity and over-reliance on movie staple ships are a time-worn SW EU tradition!

See also: same X-wings and MonCal cruisers everywhere.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I like that the empire is just Pro-Human dickheads and doesnt give a gently caress about race/gender, because thats how i always viewed them.

Wasn't the Empire also officially sexist for a long time in the EU? I remember that being one thing about Darla that was treated a small a big deal; she became an admiral despite the Empire's institutional sexism so she must very a very good commander. Of course, later on they revealed she suffered brain damage and became an admiral because she was sleeping with

quote:

It's one of the ones that's pretty bad but I remember liking a lot when I read it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wasn't new Rebellion the one with the bad guy who looked like Emperor Zurg from Buzz Lightyear?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In Soldier for the Empire Mon Mothma tells Jan that Kyle will be retrieving the Death Star plans and not her. The reason being that she doesn't have the option of blending in, because Palpatine hates women almost as much as aliens.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't the Empire also officially sexist for a long time in the EU? I remember that being one thing about Darla that was treated a small a big deal; she became an admiral despite the Empire's institutional sexism so she must very a very good commander. Of course, later on they revealed she suffered brain damage and became an admiral because she was sleeping with

It's one of the ones that's pretty bad but I remember liking a lot when I read it.

To be fair that's a recon for her being built up as an unstoppable genius and yet coming across as a complete loving idiot

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wasn't new Rebellion the one with the bad guy who looked like Emperor Zurg from Buzz Lightyear?

Yes. That would be Kueller. If I remember right the book only states that he wears some sort of deaths head mask that he thinks makes him look scary. But at some point an author got a hold of it and ran it into the ground. At least the cover just has a skull on it, next to the standard copied head poses, and some other borrowed elements. At least it's painted, I'd take this ahead of the bad photoshopped garbaged we get now any day.

A similiar thing happened with Nil Spaar. At no point does he do anything with eyeballs, but I guess somebody decided it really pulled things together.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really miss painted covers for paperbacks. The Japanese covers for NJO were fantastic.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really miss painted covers for paperbacks. The Japanese covers for NJO were fantastic.

I decided to go through the gallery of these covers and I completely forgot that there was a whole subplot in the NJO about Lando making loving Terminators.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rochallor posted:

I decided to go through the gallery of these covers and I completely forgot that there was a whole subplot in the NJO about Lando making loving Terminators.

I liked the bit about how he modeled them on the body structure of the Yuuzhan Vong specifically to piss them off

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

she wasn't loving just any admiral, she was loving tarkin, and he liked her enough(or wanted her away from his wife) that he put her in charge of a bunch of autistic dickhead scientists building another death star and a magical mary sue ship in the middle of the 20 million black holes.

Casimir Radon posted:

Yes. That would be Kueller. If I remember right the book only states that he wears some sort of deaths head mask that he thinks makes him look scary. But at some point an author got a hold of it and ran it into the ground. At least the cover just has a skull on it, next to the standard copied head poses, and some other borrowed elements. At least it's painted, I'd take this ahead of the bad photoshopped garbaged we get now any day.

A similiar thing happened with Nil Spaar. At no point does he do anything with eyeballs, but I guess somebody decided it really pulled things together.

looking back on it(and it wasn't intentional i am sure) but kuller is basically a proto kylo renn. somewhat powerful in some technical areas but basically a giant emo baby with a scary mask who gets his rear end punked.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

she wasn't loving just any admiral, she was loving tarkin, and he liked her enough(or wanted her away from his wife) that he put her in charge of a bunch of autistic dickhead scientists building another death star and a magical mary sue ship in the middle of the 20 million black holes.

Yeah, I was typing that on my phone and hosed up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, I was typing that on my phone and hosed up.

i know that feeling.

but anyway. i am excited for 8. i like the characters and i want to see where the story goes. i just hope its not a carbon copy of ESB. i liked rogue one enough. but if it wern't a star wars movie, i wouldn't have given a poo poo about it. krennic,andor, the pilot, and donny yen were the only interesting characters.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

looking back on it(and it wasn't intentional i am sure) but kuller is basically a proto kylo renn. somewhat powerful in some technical areas but basically a giant emo baby with a scary mask who gets his rear end punked.
Hadn't thought about it like that, but that makes a lot of sense.

We should do a read along of one of the lesser known EU books. I know there was one that covered all the really bad ones but I feel like The New Rebellion probably got lost in the shuffle since it's not Darksaber-bad.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

There are so many things about TFA that made me think "I know this wasn't intentional but this is pretty much just a different name for something the EU did."

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i know that feeling.

but anyway. i am excited for 8. i like the characters and i want to see where the story goes. i just hope its not a carbon copy of ESB. i liked rogue one enough. but if it wern't a star wars movie, i wouldn't have given a poo poo about it. krennic,andor, the pilot, and donny yen were the only interesting characters.

So, whats the buzz about Ep 8? I've heard that Luke was going to be killed off, and Leia sidelined via coma until 9, but Carrie Fisher's death has caused a re-write.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Last i heard, Leia was a substantial part of 8, and was going to be even moreso in 9

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't the Empire also officially sexist for a long time in the EU?

Yes. That bit seems to have been quietly dropped once the movies started casting women extras as Imperials - there seems to have been a tacit retcon that there were always plenty of women in the Imperial military, please ignore Lucas only casting white dudes as extras for the Empire in the old movies.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Cythereal posted:

Yes. That bit seems to have been quietly dropped once the movies started casting women extras as Imperials - there seems to have been a tacit retcon that there were always plenty of women in the Imperial military, please ignore Lucas only casting white dudes as extras for the Empire in the old movies.

Were there women Imperials (officers) in Rogue One? I feel like they are being fairly careful about the characterization of the OT-era Empire, at least in the main live action movies.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

I was under the impression, to rise, they had to be exceptional.

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Canemacar posted:

So, whats the buzz about Ep 8? I've heard that Luke was going to be killed off, and Leia sidelined via coma until 9, but Carrie Fisher's death has caused a re-write.

At this point we know very little about Ep 8, apart from what jivjov said. So most anything you've read, including the Luke and Leia stuff you just mentioned, is just Internet speculation.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

FYI, the Clone Wars show is leaving Netflix on March 7. The movie will still be on, though!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Were there women Imperials (officers) in Rogue One? I feel like they are being fairly careful about the characterization of the OT-era Empire, at least in the main live action movies.

Nope, also as far as I can tell no non-white men, either.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

FYI, the Clone Wars show is leaving Netflix on March 7. The movie will still be on, though!

Nope, also as far as I can tell no non-white men, either.

The only thing was nobody at the Scarif base batting an eye at Jyn walking around in the scanner tech suit, I guess. But even then Cassian was the one to dress in the officer uniform.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Maybe they'll release the whole thing on Blu-ray now. The last season was a Netflix exclusive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The last season's best episodes involved Jar Jar played against straight man mace windu

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

The last season's best episodes involved Jar Jar played against straight man mace windu
The compliance chip arc was pretty good, but the Yoda ones mostly suck. Except for the one where Yoda tells Skywalker that he knows he'll help him break the rules. Not Having the last season isn't a huge deal but I'd prefer it for completionist reasons all the same.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yoda fighting a gollum wannabe was the worst because they had already done a gollum ripoff at the start of the arc with syfo dias, and another gollum tipoff with maul even earlier. The theater mask aliens were also loving stupid. Darth Bane looked neat at least, but calling Korriban Moraband was groan worthy.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Should at least have interceptors. The multiseated tie fighters in tfa were pretty groanworthy, though at least they're not doing the clone wars ship of the week thing.

Maybe Disney has a thing against TIE Interceptors. Which is lovely because they're cool. My pet theory is that JJ didn't use them because they were from ROTJ and not ANH or ESB and thus are less "iconic".

TFA was really disappointing if you're like me and really like spaceships and dogfights. The only fighters they had were X-Wings and bog standard TIEs, and there was no capital ship action at all.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Maybe Disney has a thing against TIE Interceptors. Which is lovely because they're cool. My pet theory is that JJ didn't use them because they were from ROTJ and not ANH or ESB and thus are less "iconic".

TFA was really disappointing if you're like me and really like spaceships and dogfights. The only fighters they had were X-Wings and bog standard TIEs, and there was no capital ship action at all.

I'm sure there will be some major space battles in 9.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think MakingStarWars actually just recently had a source indicate there will be TIE Interceptors in Episode 8.

It really is sad to go through the Art of TFA book and look at all the really neat concepts for ships and characters that got thrown out in favor of "copy ANH".

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Chairman Capone posted:

I think MakingStarWars actually just recently had a source indicate there will be TIE Interceptors in Episode 8.

It really is sad to go through the Art of TFA book and look at all the really neat concepts for ships and characters that got thrown out in favor of "copy ANH".

I really hope like some goon previously said above that now the risk is over, we'll see some more original stuff in the next film including writing and vehicles.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Episode VIII interceptors mean we'll get a TIE/info in X-Wing which is all I crave

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
TIE Defender is all I ask.

It's been on Rebels, they can surely manage it for the movies as well.

Actually, I'd love it if the anthology movies went for the deep cuts and had stuff like Lancer frigates and Strike-class cruisers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tie Avenger fools. Screw those over gunned triple wings

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

TIE Defender is all I ask.

It's been on Rebels, they can surely manage it for the movies as well.

Actually, I'd love it if the anthology movies went for the deep cuts and had stuff like Lancer frigates and Strike-class cruisers.

I think it will happen. If you had told me back in 2003 after first playing KOTOR that one of the Hammerhead ships in it would not only appear in a Star Wars movie, but play a major role in its climactic space battle, I would never have believed you.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
The TIE Avenger is extremely my poo poo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Or those droid TIE fighters from Dark Empire where they'd removed the pilots' brains and wired them directly into the ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Droid fighters are bad cause you can't do pilot pov shots. Unless you do terminator vision. Then they're cool.