Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ShadowHawk posted:

lol I'm about 2 million dollars short of being one

I just rent a large house because I like having roommates

dont worry, theres like a million people against the wall before you

just make sure to let go of it before the revolution comes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ive called google support many times for various issues but nothing really compares to my experience with play music

my gf wanted a family sub b/c she drives a shitload so i set it up but if you do it from a pc rather than a mobile device it would hang when you send out the invites. i tried it a couple times but it would always hang in the same spot. on mobile tho it turned out that it was prompting for my cvv number on my payment method. on the desktop it just locks up with no error or anything (still)

in trying to diagnose the problem i was attempting to send out invites to a shitload of people so i had to erase my group and start fresh. nbd as no one had answered only the instant i was doing it my g/f accepted the invite. after that my settings said i had no family group and my g/fs settings said she was not in any family group but she had all the benefits of being in one like youtube red and play music

it took three months of the same lady emailing me every couple weeks to ask if "the group" she had escalated to had fixed it and the answer always being no. we didnt mind since it worked for her purposes but once she went from her iphone to a pixel she wanted to share my paid apps and that didnt work. after 87 days and 22 emails she escalated to some other group and that guy emailed once and had it fixed in an hour. i replied back to him saying it worked but he never replied or confirmed or anything lol

the lady was really friendly and spent literally hours on the phone trying to fix the problem but obv she was just as much at the mercy of googles black box as anyone else

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

quote:

greater than 99% of it is completely incomprehensible

LastInLine posted:

ive called google support many times for various issues but nothing really compares to my experience with play music

my gf wanted a family sub b/c she drives a shitload so i set it up but if you do it from a pc rather than a mobile device it would hang when you send out the invites. i tried it a couple times but it would always hang in the same spot. on mobile tho it turned out that it was prompting for my cvv number on my payment method. on the desktop it just locks up with no error or anything (still)

in trying to diagnose the problem i was attempting to send out invites to a shitload of people so i had to erase my group and start fresh. nbd as no one had answered only the instant i was doing it my g/f accepted the invite. after that my settings said i had no family group and my g/fs settings said she was not in any family group but she had all the benefits of being in one like youtube red and play music

it took three months of the same lady emailing me every couple weeks to ask if "the group" she had escalated to had fixed it and the answer always being no. we didnt mind since it worked for her purposes but once she went from her iphone to a pixel she wanted to share my paid apps and that didnt work. after 87 days and 22 emails she escalated to some other group and that guy emailed once and had it fixed in an hour. i replied back to him saying it worked but he never replied or confirmed or anything lol

the lady was really friendly and spent literally hours on the phone trying to fix the problem but obv she was just as much at the mercy of googles black box as anyone else

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Axel Rhodes Scholar posted:

pretty sure that's a scam fwiw, the geo org is very focused on getting users to supply data themselves.

also i occasionally have reason to dive into reading the feedback reports for various google products and i can tell you the reason almost all feedback goes unanswered is because far greater than 99% of it is completely incomprehensible

my buddy worked for the legit operation but I'm sure there are scammers as well. apparently lots of people don't trust them when they call even though its all free.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Maximum Leader posted:

my buddy worked for the legit operation but I'm sure there are scammers as well. apparently lots of people don't trust them when they call even though its all free.

cold calling is never legit fyi

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
you're sure you're not thinking of how google will sometimes call businesses to verify whether user-submitted phone numbers or other details for a business are legit?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Powaqoatse posted:

cold calling is never legit fyi

in college i did cold calling to give away free government sponsored services to small businesses and even that felt scummy

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

in college i did cold calling surveys, mostly research stuff, but occasionally a trailer park or something would want to survey their residents. it wasn't terrible, but i wouldn't recommend it as a job.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
bought two pixels. first one shattered its screen while sitting on a desk being charged. second one is doing this

loving google

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
just take them back to the google store

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

close all other "running" apps (swipe them away from the cards) as a lovely poorly coded one may have not given up control of the camera hardware

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Arms_Akimbo posted:

bought two pixels. first one shattered its screen while sitting on a desk being charged. second one is doing this

loving google

i bought two pixels and they have worked great with no problems. you must be fail and also holding them wrong.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Sagebrush posted:

close all other "running" apps (swipe them away from the cards) as a lovely poorly coded one may have not given up control of the camera hardware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYt0WbDjJ4E

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Arms_Akimbo posted:

loving google

The pixel has no flaws and works perfectly. You've installed bad software and broke your phone by yourself. Fly away troll.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

just take them back to the google store

i had to go to a verizon store on xmas eve to exchange the first one, and without even standing up, the clerk looked me in the eye and told me that despite the sign outside, they were in fact not a verizon store and they couldn't help me

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
i called support to complain and their only option was to not force me to mail in my old dead handset

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Arms_Akimbo posted:

i had to go to a verizon store on xmas eve to exchange the first one, and without even standing up, the clerk looked me in the eye and told me that despite the sign outside, they were in fact not a verizon store and they couldn't help me

i was once flying through LAX and trying to get to terminal $whatever and was told by a lady working one of the pop-up kiosks, without looking up from her phone, that she was Not An Airport Employee Sir and You'll Have To Ask Someone Else About That

LAX blows

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lax is bad but so is la

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i live in los angeles with my family and all my friends and i like it, here. ide move to philly if i could, for a while - but my parents are old, now, so, i wont.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

LAX is bad. I don't like LA everything is too flat and spread out.

The smog blanket over the city is cyberpunk as gently caress tho.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

spankmeister posted:

LAX is bad. I don't like LA everything is too flat and spread out.

The smog blanket over the city is cyberpunk as gently caress tho.

Never been to LA but going to Florida the heat induced smog stench is unbearable. Maybe you get used to it?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

isn't this the same group that was responsible for 9/11?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

wide stance posted:

Never been to LA but going to Florida the heat induced smog stench is unbearable. Maybe you get used to it?

LA's smog problem is caused by ship traffic

no american city has air problems like LA does

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

akadajet posted:

isn't this the same group that was responsible for 9/11?

that's not the bush administration, no.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the kush administration

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the smog is a lot better now, than when i was a kid, and esp before iw as alive, thanks to aggressive air quality regulation. thanks jerry, etc.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Smythe posted:

the smog is a lot better now, than when i was a kid, and esp before iw as alive, thanks to aggressive air quality regulation. thanks jerry, etc.

actually it's cause all the wind farms are blowing the smog away

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

actually it's cause all the wind farms are blowing the smog away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmDVHs-juPo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

LA's smog problem is caused by ship traffic

lol no

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ocean-going ships have virtually no emissions controls, and they burn "bunker oil" rather than diesel to save on cost. they are dirty as gently caress.

i just looked this up:
- the port + ships generate roughly 90 tons of NOx per day
- all of the trucks in the south coast air basin (los angeles, orange county, san bernadino county, and riverside county) combined do about 120 tons

and port traffic is projected to double in the coming years.

don't underestimate those dirty-rear end ships

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bunker oil is dirty but no dirtier than the old diesel before low sulfur became mandatory. in practice the particulates are spun out before burning so the only real difference between bunker and old road diesel is whether theyre purified before or after theyre sold

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LastInLine posted:

bunker oil is dirty but no dirtier than the old diesel before low sulfur became mandatory. in practice the particulates are spun out before burning so the only real difference between bunker and old road diesel is whether theyre purified before or after theyre sold

So it's super fuckin dirty

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fishmech posted:

So it's super fuckin dirty

lol yeah i guess it is

at least its monitored now it used to be the dirtiest poo poo imaginable now its just really really dirty which isnt good but is an improvement

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/lachrob/status/831691552028241921
https://twitter.com/wottow/status/831931701232271361

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

if there are none, click launch

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
isn't that from the apache civilian attack?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-13/one-reason-staffers-quit-google-s-car-project-the-company-paid-them-so-much

A large multiplier was applied to the compensation packages in late 2015, resulting in multi-million dollar payments in some cases, according to the people familiar with the situation. One member of the team had a multiplier of 16 applied to bonuses and equity amassed over four years, one of the people said. They asked not to be identified talking about private matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dodoman posted:

isn't that from the apache civilian attack?

that's the joke

• Locked thread