Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RBA Starblade posted:

Fable 2's ending's really only good if you take the ending the bad guy was going to take to revive only your family and gently caress everyone else. I did it while using the same kind of gun he shoots you with as a kid even; basically just ended up exactly like him. Even bought his castle.

Yeah but if you try to listen to his whole monologue another dude just shoots him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Action Tortoise posted:

what the gently caress did you get me to google?

American McGee satirizing the Bush years with a feather-light touch and the finest graphics that outsourced Chinese labor can buy.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Nuebot posted:

Yeah but if you try to listen to his whole monologue another dude just shoots him.
The only One thing bringing down Fable 3 is they still didn't let me kill Reaver.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

World Famous W posted:

The only One thing bringing down Fable 3 is they still didn't let me kill Reaver.

Yeah, what the gently caress. I loving loathed Reaver and the fact I had to accept him as a "partner" was annoying.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I found Reaver rather hilarious in Fable 3. Of course it makes little sense the son/daughter of the Fable 2 Protagonist would have Reaver as one of their top advisers, not least of all because Reaver also nearly killed them for pure sadistic sport.

I honestly liked Fable 3 more than most people it seems. I'd have to say the main thing dragging it down for me was the ending and the lack of clothing options. Fable 2 had so many character design choices and I loved it.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I found Reaver rather hilarious in Fable 3. Of course it makes little sense the son/daughter of the Fable 2 Protagonist would have Reaver as one of their top advisers, not least of all because Reaver also nearly killed them for pure sadistic sport.

I honestly liked Fable 3 more than most people it seems. I'd have to say the main thing dragging it down for me was the ending and the lack of clothing options. Fable 2 had so many character design choices and I loved it.

The total lack of the emotion wheel from Fable 2 was the greatest sin of Fable 3. Fable 2 had co-op pants making GBS threads if you both used the emotion wheel and failed the fart emote and it was hilarious, in Fable 3 you can only use like one or two emotes with a person at a time and its nowhere near as fun. Still,I did enjoy Fable 3 but 1 is still my favorite.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

The total lack of the emotion wheel from Fable 2 was the greatest sin of Fable 3. Fable 2 had co-op pants making GBS threads if you both used the emotion wheel and failed the fart emote and it was hilarious, in Fable 3 you can only use like one or two emotes with a person at a time and its nowhere near as fun. Still,I did enjoy Fable 3 but 1 is still my favorite.

I really loved Fable 1's music. Oakvale is one of my favorite town themes ever.

I think it's interesting they started with strict generic fantasy and then decided "hey. let's have a timeskip and move in a more steampunk direction." I wonder if that was planned.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

NikkolasKing posted:

I lived Reaver in 3 because he'd positioned himself in a situation where no matter what happened, he won. Child Labour Versus allowing children to go to School? Child Labour equals free workers for Reaver, School, well, who else will renovate that old pile of wood but Reaver's company? Either way he gets paid. Dredge the Lake? Reaver gets a lucrative silver mine. Leave the lake alone? Reaver's house if on the lake, he keeps a nicer view. No matter what, it either gives Reaver money directly, or allows his company to get contracts to make money. He is an evil genius, although his sidekick Pedophile Jonathan Ross was a bit too much. (He makes crude jokes about some of the monsters in his deranged harem, including the little goblin things that are Children stolen by monsters and turned into them)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I lived Reaver in 3 because he'd positioned himself in a situation where no matter what happened, he won. Child Labour Versus allowing children to go to School? Child Labour equals free workers for Reaver, School, well, who else will renovate that old pile of wood but Reaver's company? Either way he gets paid. Dredge the Lake? Reaver gets a lucrative silver mine. Leave the lake alone? Reaver's house if on the lake, he keeps a nicer view. No matter what, it either gives Reaver money directly, or allows his company to get contracts to make money. He is an evil genius, although his sidekick Pedophile Jonathan Ross was a bit too much. (He makes crude jokes about some of the monsters in his deranged harem, including the little goblin things that are Children stolen by monsters and turned into them)

Ah, the Hobbs. That's one of the more randomly dark and hosed up parts of the series. Near the start of Fable 2 IIRC you find some poor father who has lost his son and you help him look for the kid only to find the boy was turned into one of the monsters. You just kind of walk away after the poor traumatized dad faints.

What I loved about "Devil on Your Shoulder" Reaver was how he took credit no matter what you did. Keep the orphanage instead of accepting his proposal of turning it into a brothel? He will spin it so it was all a great humanitarian effort on his part.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I remember so many goons getting angry at Reaver in Fable 3, it was great. There was a weird sort of backlash against Stephen Fry in places for doing the voice though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I didn't even hate Reaver back in 2, so I dunno, I was never someone who got super mad over him just blowing away lord evilman I forget the name of in 2, him coming back in 3 as even more poo poo eating dastardly than before made me happy. :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NikkolasKing posted:

I really loved Fable 1's music. Oakvale is one of my favorite town themes ever.

I think it's interesting they started with strict generic fantasy and then decided "hey. let's have a timeskip and move in a more steampunk direction." I wonder if that was planned.

Despite the generic fantasy stock of the first game, it still won me over through sheer charm and how it presented itself as more "Fairy Tale" fantasy than Epic fantasy. Also some of the silliest voice acting ever. "You got rid o' that ghost yet?"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

CitizenKain posted:

I'm glad I was most of the way through MGSV before they started getting the online stuff in the game. Some patch moved 3/4 of my poo poo into online storage where it can't be accessed or sold, so I guess I played Grand Theft Afghanistan for no reason.

I've got MGSV on the 360 and haven't even played it yet. If I don't care about doing anything online with the game, if I can avoid a patch when I install, should i?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

That was only because the game never gave me the option of "Nationalise everything he owns for the good of the people. Because seriously, end of the world." :colbert:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I've got MGSV on the 360 and haven't even played it yet. If I don't care about doing anything online with the game, if I can avoid a patch when I install, should i?

sure. it's all online stuff anyway

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Perestroika posted:

That was only because the game never gave me the option of "Nationalise everything he owns for the good of the people. Because seriously, end of the world." :colbert:

Also because we've broken the economy so hard we can afford to make it rain. "What's that? We need to raise 3 million gold for the war effort? Here 4 mil, have fun, I've been renting this whole loving city out from under you all since I was twelve, I'm loaded!"

Also, I've just beaten the Hero 30 mode on Hald Minue Hero 1 on steam. Evil Lord 30 is just bullshit though. "Here, clean out all these 9 castles and villages, no route to the boss castle to end the level until your done, and by the end of the route you will have long been left behind by the Goddess Statues as you will have no prayer of getting enough money to turn back time enough times to win!" I enjoyed the base game, but that is just garbage.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Feb 4, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The majoriry of half minute heroes bonus modes are terrible.

Hero 3 was annoying hard on a mushy controller and hero 300 was just way way too long for a game where you cant save in level.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh no, Far Cry has lots and lots of story. It's just not uh... good.

Some parts of 3 were good. Vaz the villain was pretty great and unsettling. A lot of the story is definitely not presented well, but Jason Brody has an actual arc. It didn't work so much in cutscenes, but in play as a FPS, your character is extremely physical and tangible within the world which is grounding. From there, watching him go from a kid way over is head to a bloodthirsty god of war as depicted by the increase in your power from unlockables attacks and arms and armaments, and especially through his increasingly unhinged voice acting through game.

Pity that most of the cutscenes are pretty crap though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Olaf The Stout posted:

Some parts of 3 were good. Vaz the villain was pretty great and unsettling. A lot of the story is definitely not presented well, but Jason Brody has an actual arc. It didn't work so much in cutscenes, but in play as a FPS, your character is extremely physical and tangible within the world which is grounding. From there, watching him go from a kid way over is head to a bloodthirsty god of war as depicted by the increase in your power from unlockables attacks and arms and armaments, and especially through his increasingly unhinged voice acting through game.

The one where Vaz kicks you down a well is a pretty good one. I was just bad at the game so I had to watch it about four times before I successfully cleared that part.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Olaf The Stout posted:

Biggest problem I had was that the game carried on with a villain I didn't care about after Vaz died.

Oh, that and both the endings being a bit poo poo.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Barudak posted:

The majoriry of half minute heroes bonus modes are terrible.

the real issue is that evil lord/princess/knight were watered right the gently caress down for the remake and just play like poo poo versions of hero 30 instead of being entirely new modes

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Biggest problem I had was that the game carried on with a villain I didn't care about after Vaz died.

Oh, that and both the endings being a bit poo poo.

Second island felt really unfinished as well. Nowhere near as fun as the first one, just a bunch of hills with a base with some kind of magnetic field stopping you flying over it in the middle.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i stopped playing after the part with the titties

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Despite the generic fantasy stock of the first game, it still won me over through sheer charm and how it presented itself as more "Fairy Tale" fantasy than Epic fantasy. Also some of the silliest voice acting ever. "You got rid o' that ghost yet?"

The funniest thing was most of the voice actors from the Fable series were people from British telly, hearing Billy from Eastenders as a Bandit boss in Fable 2 was hilarious.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

The lack of control of other party members in Final Fantasy 13 didn't bother me for most of the game but in some of the more difficult battles it would have been good to be able to pause the game and give other characters commands. Also, gently caress the crafting system. I wouldn't have minded messing around with it but I wasn't going to do all that money grinding and I had no access to cheats.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Convex posted:

Second island felt really unfinished as well. Nowhere near as fun as the first one, just a bunch of hills with a base with some kind of magnetic field stopping you flying over it in the middle.

While that's true, I really liked climbing up to one of the higher mountains on the south island, getting on a hang glider, and just seeing how far I could go.

I think a bit of the issue with Far Cry 3 was being basically two different games stapled together - one game about roaming around a large environment more or less freely, and the other being a series of linear set pieces and cut scenes - and neither one quite stands on its own.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That reminds me of Tomb Raider, the most 7/10 game I've ever played. You take one Uncharted clone, but after you shoot everyone you can play the game like a boring collectathon, just picking poo poo up. Add in some half-baked RPG mechanics and the most cliched story on Earth and you'll get this extremely average game. Of all the games ever made, this is one of them.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That reminds me of Tomb Raider, the most 7/10 game I've ever played. You take one Uncharted clone, but after you shoot everyone you can play the game like a boring collectathon, just picking poo poo up. Add in some half-baked RPG mechanics and the most cliched story on Earth and you'll get this extremely average game. Of all the games ever made, this is one of them.

in literally no way is TR a collectathon, did you play some game and mix it up or something?

Also 7/10 is above average

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
7/10 is not above average in vidya games.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

RyokoTK posted:

7/10 is not above average in vidya games.

That's really dumb

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Video games are dumb, hate to be the one to tell you.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Inspector Gesicht posted:

This is all redeemed by the bow. It was the only weapon I used the whole game, most satisfying bow in gaming. Get close to me? Sand in yo face and bow headshot. gently caress yeah. The story was subpar and your companion were complete nonentities, but poping up from cover for a headshot, or getting bum rushed and retreating while bowing felt so right.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

OldTennisCourt posted:

That's really dumb

If you give my Zelda games an 8/10 I will track you down and kill you, $ony puppet. Don't you dare drag down the MetaCritic score with your lies and slander!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
7/10 is a C, which many would consider below average. Think about it.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

from GI magazine:

"7: Average. The game's features may work, but are nothing that even casual players haven't seen before. A decent game from beginning to end."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

StandardVC10 posted:

While that's true, I really liked climbing up to one of the higher mountains on the south island, getting on a hang glider, and just seeing how far I could go.

I think a bit of the issue with Far Cry 3 was being basically two different games stapled together - one game about roaming around a large environment more or less freely, and the other being a series of linear set pieces and cut scenes - and neither one quite stands on its own.

Sounds pretty much like every open world game

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Olaf The Stout posted:

This is all redeemed by the bow.

I don't know when the video game industry decided that bows were magical super-weapons that create negative sound and hit with the force of a billion nukes, but I hate it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Olaf The Stout posted:

This is all redeemed by the bow. It was the only weapon I used the whole game, most satisfying bow in gaming. Get close to me? Sand in yo face and bow headshot. gently caress yeah. The story was subpar and your companion were complete nonentities, but poping up from cover for a headshot, or getting bum rushed and retreating while bowing felt so right.

the bow was good in that game. i'm waiting for rise to go on sale so i can see if stealth got fleshed out.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mierenneuker posted:

If you give my Zelda games an 8/10 I will track you down and kill you, $ony puppet. Don't you dare drag down the MetaCritic score with your lies and slander!

Seeing Yahtzee get death threats with every single one of his earlier videos was darkly hilarious. It was almost always the Nintendo lot too, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mierenneuker posted:

All the people bitching about Twilight Princess getting an 8.8.

Turns out it didn't even deserve that lmao