Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Griz
May 21, 2001

Thundarr posted:

Don't the earthshakers just generate a line attack towards the target? I didn't think they did proximity damage also. Or do you mean people standing too close to the boss so they get clipped by multiple earthshakers?

it's a line attack, but it's not marked and melee dps have no situational awareness so they'll just keep doing their flank/rear positional dance even if it'll put them in line with someone else's earthshaker, or they have it and it'll hit all the other melee dps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Leal posted:

3.0 Hildibrand is starting off pretty good.

but... Godbert is wearing clothes. :confused:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

As someone who has been DFing all the Ex Primals fight recently, I can safely say you can totally still clear them. It takes a couple tries but it comes out eventually, and it feels SO satisfying to beat them after struggling for a few attempts. I'm up to Ifrit and Leviathan Ex, having done all the others thus far, including King Mog and Odin. The worst part is honestly the queues as a DPS, haha. If I wanted to actually GRIND any of them rather than just fight them for fun and learning, I'd probably wait until I could do them unsynced though. Fun as it is to get a struggling group through a tough fight, it'd be less fun if I actually wanted something out of these like the horses or such. I AM a filthy DPS though so it's entirely likely this kinda stuff is way more nightmarish for tanks and healers.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

but... Godbert is wearing clothes. :confused:

He discreetly removes them between scenes. It's great.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Coughing Hobo posted:

Episode 5 of The Fall and Rise of FFXIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU01kQjzIjk

Covers the last couple of patches and 1.0's final moments.

I still think this was one of the most creative things I've seen in gaming. 1.0 looks pretty bad, but man would I have liked to be there for Dalamud falling.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

EponymousMrYar posted:

Actually no, Repairing is the real awesome thing for leveling crafting. You never have to run to a Merchant & Mender again, you never have to worry about your gear breaking at a non-optimal time and if it somehow manages to do so you can repair anywhere. Except your Squadron Barracks for some reason. It's a weird-nega repair zone.
Dark Matter is usually cheaper than a 100% repair too.

Oh and the other best thing about repairing is? You can repair gear 10 levels over your crafting level so if you get them up to 60 before Stormblood hits you're set on repairing for the entire Xpack.
You can repair in combat.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
This is pretty cool. Turns out a number of the unique enemies in Palace of the Dead are deceased characters from job/class/story quests:
http://gamerescape.com/2016/07/21/the-lore-train-identifying-the-dead/
http://gamerescape.com/2016/11/01/the-lore-train-identifying-the-dead-part-2/

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I love the lore in this game so so much! The quest guys was neat, but the Garleans were definitely unexpected.

Poor Symond.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

This is pretty cool. Turns out a number of the unique enemies in Palace of the Dead are deceased characters from job/class/story quests:
http://gamerescape.com/2016/07/21/the-lore-train-identifying-the-dead/
http://gamerescape.com/2016/11/01/the-lore-train-identifying-the-dead-part-2/

The cool thing about this is that this is not just calling back to earlier points in FFXIV, but is a direct reference to Nybeth's actions from Tactics Ogre. His MO in the original game was to claim and zombify the bodies of powerful warriors for use in his research, and to throw in your way whenever your path crossed with him. This included a bunch of major story characters who would die as the plot unfolds, reappearing as shambling abominations begging for you to kill them.

In that spirit I still think it's a big disappointment that Nybeth's fight didn't have a zombified (3.0 spoilers) Haurchefaunt as an add. Don't look at me like that, that's exactly what would have happened in TO. Exactly.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Alright, after a couple of weeks of trying, I've officially had enough of pugging Zurvan Extreme. Only 23 clears and I haven't seen a single whistle drop. The toxicity of the playerbase pertaining to this fight is not worth the trouble.

...That being said, I still want to finish my bird grind, I just don't want to do it with pugs. I'm thinking of forming a temporary goon static consisting of people who are in the same boat I am to grind Zurvan Extreme until we all have birds and never have to bother with it again. Is this the kind of thing I should advertise on the FFGoons forums, or should I just grab goons from wherever?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My pet cat, who I based my character on, was put down today.

https://youtu.be/klqNt4KqOMQ

A Great Big Bee! fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 4, 2017

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

My pet cat, who I based my character on, was pit down today.

uhh

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

My pet cat, who I based my character on, was pit down today.

RIP cute kitty.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
RIP kitty. =(

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
rip catte :( I hope it died happy

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Oh my god /gpose is so fun to gently caress around with

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
khloe is a child, gross

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You're the one attaching sexual meaning to that though

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

:gay:

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Those are affectionate hearts, not sexy hearts you creeps

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

/dote
Baderon: I'm gay now.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

3.0 Hildibrand is starting off pretty good.

drat is SE when are we getting /squat

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Kuvo posted:

drat is SE when are we getting /squat

They need to add a regular and persistent version, so you can choose to just do one or stand around all day doing them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Need all of the Squadron exercising emotes honestly. Dropping down for a pushup between Fell Cleaves.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Those are affectionate hearts, not sexy hearts you creeps

The guy who teaches you the emote says to think of your dear ol' mum for inspiration. It's heartwarming.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Countblanc posted:

The guy who teaches you the emote says to think of your dear ol' mum for inspiration. It's heartwarming.

If your character is female he says to think of your father.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

In World of Darkness, the meteor markers didn't change at all to indicate someone was already standing in them, right? I'm glad they changed that with Dun Scaith, people still kinda suck at the mecahnic but it's a lot easier to keep track of now.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Where do I go to get the Valentine's emote

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

verbal enema posted:

Where do I go to get the Valentine's emote

Gridania

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Goddamnit

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Augus posted:

In World of Darkness, the meteor markers didn't change at all to indicate someone was already standing in them, right? I'm glad they changed that with Dun Scaith, people still kinda suck at the mecahnic but it's a lot easier to keep track of now.

They did, in fact. The markers in DS are exactly the same.

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010

Augus posted:

The meteors in WoD and Dun Scaith are exactly the same model/animation. The "Explosion contained" animation is the same and was in the Cloud of Darkness fight, too. The only new meteor thing is the big one that Diabolos Hollow summons that is a split damage mechanic, which is why you'll usually see one or two brave DPS bite the dust because nobody knows how it works.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

They did, in fact. The markers in DS are exactly the same.

They did? I coulda sworn I had trouble with telling whether a meteor marker was already taken or not
Maybe it's just that it was a while ago when I did that and I'm just better at noticing things with mechanics now. :shrug:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

You will dump literal millions of gil into teleporting fees over the course of the game.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Logicspren posted:

The meteors in WoD and Dun Scaith are exactly the same model/animation. The "Explosion contained" animation is the same and was in the Cloud of Darkness fight, too. The only new meteor thing is the big one that Diabolos Hollow summons that is a split damage mechanic, which is why you'll usually see one or two brave DPS bite the dust because nobody knows how it works.

I thought that it's just a big ol meteor that needs to be soaked by the a tank.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

vOv posted:

I thought that it's just a big ol meteor that needs to be soaked by the a tank.

This is what I thought as well, I've seen quite a number of DPS stand in the circle and die when surely there would have been enough there for a split.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Big Meteor is Tank Soak so your off-tanks don't pass out from boredom.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Brainamp posted:

You will dump literal millions of gil into teleporting fees over the course of the game.

I've given up on hanging onto my change for now.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

SonicRulez posted:

I still think this was one of the most creative things I've seen in gaming. 1.0 looks pretty bad, but man would I have liked to be there for Dalamud falling.

Something I think he omitted to mention is that during the final parts of 1.23 but before the Garleans actually invaded places proper, they gradually flooded out from the various castrums in the game. I remember Outer La Noscea being absolutely swarmed with Garlean enemies before my old desktop died, and over a few days they began to migrate and multiply into the area in Upper La. With Dalamud so huge, it really felt like a world changing event and it was one of the most epic things ever. Big poo poo was GOING DOWN and the world was getting ready for the fight for its life.

Meiteron posted:

In that spirit I still think it's a big disappointment that Nybeth's fight didn't have a zombified (3.0 spoilers) Haurchefaunt as an add. Don't look at me like that, that's exactly what would have happened in TO. Exactly.

Yeah, Nybeth in TO was really hosed up and I had to slay several important characters that would have been powerful team mates on different routes of the Wheel of Fate. And you're right, that would have happened. I'm glad it didn't though. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
As far as I know the only really new "split the damage" mechanic is the one that's got the targeting reticle with arrows pointing in that's normally orange, but is purple and has the "look away!" thing over the targetted person's head.

• Locked thread