Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
If you don't want to foul out then don't go givin ol RBB piggy back rides :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
The Celtics have won six in a row and Isaiah's had 37, 41, 44 and 38 in his last four games. This is as good as it gets for me and I'm just going to enjoy it until the inevitable crash

Dexo posted:

The coward James Harden realizing that the Rockets had no chance of winning when the Hero MCW was still in the game.

That was my impression.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Cool Buff Man posted:

The Celtics have won six in a row and Isaiah's had 37, 41, 44 and 38 in his last four games. This is as good as it gets for me and I'm just going to enjoy it until the inevitable crash

Isaiah as been insane this season. He looks like a new player compared to last year. It really is amazing to watch, he used to be gassed every 4th quarter of every game.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

straight up brolic posted:

Props to Dokmo for posting that Marc Gasol deferred rebounding thing, because now I see it in the world all around me. Thunder are doing the same poo poo with Russ.

Yeah I really dont know what to think about raw individual rebounding stats anymore.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
When Yogi destroys you, you don't get to play in the All Star game, Portland backcourt.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Jokic got his first triple double last night because Malone lifted his minutes limit. His reaction: "I hugged him, I was naked and I hugged him," Jokic said.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Props to Dokmo for posting that Marc Gasol deferred rebounding thing, because now I see it in the world all around me. Thunder are doing the same poo poo with Russ.

RWB plays really bad defense to cheat for rebounds
Statistically Analysis: Russell Westbrook's rebounding numbers are the result of extreme statpadding(OC) (self.nba)

quote:

Westbrook has contested a grand total of 160 FG's on the ENTIRE SEASON.

That number is staggeringly low and to be frank, flat out embarrassing. To put his 3.4 contests per game in perspective, OKC backup PG Cameron Payne is averaging 4.1 contests per game while playing in less than half of the minutes that Westbrook is.

Westbrook ranks dead last in the NBA in contested shots among players averaging 30 or more MPG by a considerable margin. Hilariously, the only two players who have contested less 3P FGA's are Rudy Gobert and Whiteside, who have contested 53 and 64 respectively. Russell Westbrook is at 69 while having playing close to the same amount of minutes...Yes, DeAndre Jordan has contested more 3P FGA's this season than Russell Westbrook.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

attackmole posted:

Wait a sec I was just cruising some box scores, Yogisanity is still going?
He's why they're going to trade Deron Williams

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Can Definitely Williams hit an outside shot nowadays?

God I love my phone's auto correct...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hilariously, the Mavericks are now 2 games out of the playoffs after that disaster of a start.

The Western 8 seed sure is something

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

Hilariously, the Mavericks are now 2 games out of the playoffs after that disaster of a start.

The Western 8 seed sure is something

Something awful.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dexo posted:

"Definitely" is a good basketball nickname.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Say what you will about Manu but he never tried to get a piggy back ride
Unless he totally did and there's totally video of it someone is about to post

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

no offense but that post is loving terrible. read's like a coach nick style hit piece. It is probably a scheme thing and calculated gamble by the coaching staff that the FG% difference for the PG on contest/no contest isn't worth as much as Russ in transition and better rebounding is. OKC is 6th in DRB% and 3rd in layups. Russ had the most transition possessions and the 17th best efficiency in transition last season. They also have a terrible half court offense.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/status/827705405832826880

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

no offense but that post is loving terrible. read's like a coach nick style hit piece. It is probably a scheme thing and calculated gamble by the coaching staff that the FG% difference for the PG on contest/no contest isn't worth as much as Russ in transition and better rebounding is. OKC is 6th in DRB% and 3rd in layups. Russ had the most transition possessions and the 17th best efficiency in transition last season. They also have a terrible half court offense.

I have no doubt that it is a scheme endorsed by the coaching staff, but the question is whether it is good strategy or not. I suspect the bolded is a poor gamble.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

I think the problem with this is that there's some debate on whether or not Russ getting free rebounds is actually leading to better team rebounding. It certainly can lead to better transition opportunities by getting him the ball as early in the possession as possible, but if he's getting these boards because Adams and Kanter are clearing out for him instead of grabbing it themselves, then that doesn't necessarily make their rebounding better, and may even make it worse. 6th in DRB% is good, but with guys like Adams and Kanter, this would be a good rebounding team regardless of whether or not their PG grabs 10 a game or not.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The B_36 posted:

I think the problem with this is that there's some debate on whether or not Russ getting free rebounds is actually leading to better team rebounding. It certainly can lead to better transition opportunities by getting him the ball as early in the possession as possible, but if he's getting these boards because Adams and Kanter are clearing out for him instead of grabbing it themselves, then that doesn't necessarily make their rebounding better, and may even make it worse. 6th in DRB% is good, but with guys like Adams and Kanter, this would be a good rebounding team regardless of whether or not their PG grabs 10 a game or not.
having more players to boxout and get rebounds leads to better team rebounding. If both Adams and Sabonis/Kanter are boxing out for Westbrook, that's an additional player securing the rebound vs. having to contest to receive it. Even when Kanter was playing, he was only playing 20 minutes a game and I think Adams is better at being big than he is at actually securing a contested rebound. Using a box-out based scheme to get Russ in transition makes a lot of sense.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMQq3lmMUBM

The Highlights of the Blazers going under the screen and still doing it after the 4th 3 pointer

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Tae posted:

The Highlights of the Blazers going under the screen and still doing it after the 4th 3 pointer

"Highlights" may be the wrong word.

Also, Lillard time is dead
https://twitter.com/BenGolliver/status/827773081066184705

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Has any infamous 1st take guy pointed out yet that Lillard should stop messing around and focus on BASKETBALL instead of RAP MUSIC?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this is the most important video on the internet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtsQiyNgtIY

lol is this even legal

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

R.D. Mangles posted:

this is the most important video on the internet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtsQiyNgtIY

lol is this even legal

It's not legal

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol is this even legal

No.

Still owns tho

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Isn't contesting 3s kinda meaningless? Isn't good defense not letting guys take threes in the first place.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

having more players to boxout and get rebounds leads to better team rebounding. If both Adams and Sabonis/Kanter are boxing out for Westbrook, that's an additional player securing the rebound vs. having to contest to receive it. Even when Kanter was playing, he was only playing 20 minutes a game and I think Adams is better at being big than he is at actually securing a contested rebound. Using a box-out based scheme to get Russ in transition makes a lot of sense.

Also Westbrook is a notorious rebound poacher, he doesn't ask permission, he doesn't need permission. I wish Adams would do more tipouts when he's 1v3 on a rebound than trying to pull it down himself. I see him constantly have his hands on an ORB and get stripped because he's in a crowd. They need to have a scheme.....

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

leftist heap posted:

Isn't contesting 3s kinda meaningless? Isn't good defense not letting guys take threes in the first place.
It's definitely not meaningless, but it depends if it's a genuine contest or a half-hearted one

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

leftist heap posted:

Statistical shot "contests" is not a straightforward concept, but it definitely does not mean actually challenging a shot, it usually means either being close to the shooter when the shot goes up or being on a vector to be close to the shooter. You could argue that statistical contests are part of denying the shot, in that a shooter is less likely to shoot if a defender is nearby, but I haven't seen much work done on this.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
That should totally be legal. You should absolutely have the strategic option of intercepting the other jumper's tap, leading to hilarious instances where both players jump back to anticipate/intercept and the ball simply bounces at midcourt. It's a legit move for your Buddier players who end up jumping against longlegs.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

leftist heap posted:

The difference in eFG% between contested and uncontested threes is bigger than the difference between contested and uncontested twos outside the paint. League averages for contested 3PA is around 25% tightly contested vs 38% wide open (eFG% 37.5% v 57%). For twos further out than 10ft, it is about 35% tightly contested vs 45% wide open.

I should say actually that the NBA stat tracking measures closest defender distance not specifically whether the shot was contested or not which is more of a subjective measure. Also Dokmo is dead right that how defenders being in proximity to players affects whether they shoot or not in the first place is something that I'm sure the savvy teams have done a lot of work looking at, but publicly there's been little objective analysis of. But in any case, regarding the discussion that this sprouted from (Westbrook cheating off his man on the perimeter to grab rebounds) I don't see how encouraging the opponent to shoot more threes rather than twos adds to argument that his rebound grabbing strategy is a net positive.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 4, 2017

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

Statistical shot "contests" is not a straightforward concept, but it definitely does not mean actually challenging a shot, it usually means either being close to the shooter when the shot goes up or being on a vector to be close to the shooter. You could argue that statistical contests are part of denying the shot, in that a shooter is less likely to shoot if a defender is nearby, but I haven't seen much work done on this.

Thanks I wasn't sure what it meant exactly if it was just straight up hand up or more complicated than that.

Russ is uncontroversially bad at plenty of obvious stuff I don't see why people feel the need to get so fancy with it. Russ seems to make people insane.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
lol Yogi Ferrell got a two year deal. He's literally following a MyPlayer career arc

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

That's actually not true. "Contested" shots are first fun through a distance parameter and then are qualitatively evaluated by people to see if they warrant a contest. The bigger issue is that there's no weak contest, strong contest button, so they all get lumped in together

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

That's actually not true. "Contested" shots are first fun through a distance parameter and then are qualitatively evaluated by people to see if they warrant a contest. The bigger issue is that there's no weak contest, strong contest button, so they all get lumped in together

They should classify the Battier-type 'hand in face' contest separately, so I can hate whoever leads the league in those.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

Yeah the second part of your statement, the "refusal to shoot due to man nearby" stat, if it exists, it's not public, I've not seen anything about it.

The SportVU contest stats seemed noisy. Because of random bad defenders around good ones, because of cameras picking up a guy near a guy, even if he wasn't actually defending that guy or even halfway helping.

And yeah the contest on the three matters, the idea is to make the shooter not want to shoot, but to answer the question, yes, once the shooter decides to shoot a three, defender distance has no consistent effect on 3p%, once the guy decides he's safe to shoot, I think the average number is 4 feet of space, which is barely more than an arm's length for some guys

Is that in synergy or vantage? I remember when it came out in sportvu originally there wasn't a human filter and defender was just who the camera picked up next to the ball

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 4, 2017

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

That statistical analysis "Russell Westbrook is actually a fraud" post was written by some Warriors fan dillhole that's post history is mostly gobbing over how amazing Kevin Durant is in r/Warriors

So gently caress him, the contested shot stat is borderline useless and extremely dependent on the team's scheme. Look at some of the players it ranks highest in the NBA.

Edit: Never trust a stat that isn't results-based. For instance, that the team rebounds better as a whole when Westbrook is on the floor and stealing boards than when he isn't

Mandrel fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 4, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Warriors Fans' hate boner for Russel Westbrook confuses me. Isn't it bad enough that you basically removed their franchise chance at contention? Why do you have to poo poo on their remaining superstar too?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
All the Mavs need to do now is convert Andrew Bogut into Tyson Chandler and that's a fun enough season for me.

edit: that Harden jumping on MCW's back causing MCW to foul out is the worst foul call I've seen in years.

Dexo posted:

When he is healthy he is arguably the best offensive player on the Mavs. He always has nagging health issues.

Tae posted:

even as an old man, defenses show more respect to Dirk than a rookie on fire.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 4, 2017

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Mandrel posted:

Edit: Never trust a stat that isn't results-based. For instance, that the team rebounds better as a whole when Westbrook is on the floor and stealing boards than when he isn't

I'm sure that's true, but that isn't the argument. Obviously if you have a guard hanging around 15 feet from the basket rather than on the perimeter you are going to rebound better. The question is whether the plus you get in rebounding is worth any potential negative on perimeter defence, and what effect positive or negative it has on transition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Mandrel posted:

That statistical analysis "Russell Westbrook is actually a fraud" post was written by some Warriors fan dillhole that's post history is mostly gobbing over how amazing Kevin Durant is in r/Warriors

So gently caress him, the contested shot stat is borderline useless and extremely dependent on the team's scheme. Look at some of the players it ranks highest in the NBA.

Yeah, I wasn't even referring to Russel Westbrook, just speaking in generalities. Those numbers have a large scheme element like brolic said. Remember when Indiana was good, was it 2 years ago? Was it only two? 3years ago? Hibbert would box out, let Lance get the uncontested rebound and run the floor. It gave them a boost because their halfcourt offense was such a jalopy of a machine. Lance was even doing it to some extent in Memphis, last year.

• Locked thread