Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

FFIV now has the most characters of any realm (14) and can field a full team of five Black Magic 5 users.

Rydia, Palom, Tellah, Golbez and Fusoya taking out the White Dragon together was pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Jesus how the hell do I have 600 3* Dex motes? And yet I'm weirdly starved for 4* ones - those and Wisdom.

you'll find that all the caster trees always use wisdom and all the physical trees always use dexterity

hybrid trees use both

so yes those are going to be the limiting motes

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

flowinprose posted:

The "buff " they give him is zero potency, zero duration. It's entirely designed to clear debuffs off of him and nothing else. For this reason, mug bloodlust is probably a bad idea for this fight.
Really? What was the point of even placing that effect, anyway, other than possibly to clear a -ATK/DEF debuff (which outside Mug Bloodlust is drat rare)?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Pulled Faerie Claws as my dollar pull and two of FuSoYa's robes for my 11. The Imperil Dark slots in pretty nicely as a healer in my Dark Team.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

NGDBSS posted:

Really? What was the point of even placing that effect, anyway, other than possibly to clear a -ATK/DEF debuff (which outside Mug Bloodlust is drat rare)?

I don't know, but the AI thread on reddit where they pull the raw data from the fight lists it as exactly that. It also heals I think in addition to the debuff removal.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So my current A team is the team I built solely for the sunmon2 nightmare. It's ridiculous, I pump out so much aoe damage that I was doing almost max damage a hit per summon in the nightmare. The gafagrion ultimate+ is taking max damage from a neutral element 4* on a mage with no synergy gear even.

I have tyro for an emergency wall (only if I need it, which is not a position I ever thought I'd be in), arc for instant curaga + blink, krile for sheepsong, garnet for magic/defense buff and 3000hp cirada bubble and finally quistis for her bsb shenanigans. Considering I can beat the buff cap on magic with an onion knight rw, I think I'm set.

Though tiamat is still out of the question for me, can't quite hit that yet.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Sprite141 posted:

The stat boosts are marginal, and honestly not worth it. Ninja magic is better than you'd think, do it right and the new 5* skill hits really loving hard. You just need to stack bonuses and stuff.

I respectfully disagree, depending on the character of course.

We've got a number of skills which are dependent on hitting stat thresholds for maximum effectiveness e.g. tiamat, upcoming omega drive, Maria BSB etc.

Maria for instance gains 30 mag with a complete record dive, which is around 15 levels worth. With the multiplicative effects of stat buffs, it can make a big difference in hitting those thresholds, requiring fewer buffs.

Also, the unbuffed extra damage is a pretty big deal under the cap, and while three days ago I'd agree with you in the case of attack stats, that cap has been lifted too.

While you're right in saying that getting new skill sets is the most important thing to dive for, don't dismiss the stat gain, as it can be really useful.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Does hitting an imperil vulnerability add to SB the same way hitting a standard vulnerability does?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Does hitting an imperil vulnerability add to SB the same way hitting a standard vulnerability does?

Yep, the % of vulnerability does not matter, merely the fact that they take more than normal damage at all.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Elephant Ambush posted:

I made my first Nightmare ability!

That fight sucked REAL HARD but Indomitable Blade sucked up a ton of damage while the soft cap raise turned Onion Slice into a chainsaw from Hell. Onion Slice seriously did most of the work and I'm glad I brought Lifesyphon for OK just for that.

I was actually able to do so much damage that I beat him with only 2 active Dooms. The power creep is so real.

Afliction Break is my favorite 6 star abikity. It's essentially a pseudo ribbon in ability form

Best thing is that you can break bosses so they miss their own buffs.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 4, 2017

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Finally took out Wiegraf. It seems the trick was that I just needed to go back to my A-team with imperil holy and forget gimmick strategies. It certainly helped that this meant everyone had decent mind, so stop didn't last as long whenever it hit.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I finally got round to the Ults, not too awful. And then I finally kicked the gently caress out of Mote Ifrit.

And then I was so inspired I saw my fifteen mythril and did a silly thing and I got my first Overstrike and well I guess my team has a Thunder God now.

Also I guess I am no longer steamed that the ult+ only had Cid's MCIII. :v:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Attention raid pubbies: Stop bringing Curaise. It's the stupidest ability. Especially against a boss that spams AoE poison.

I've got to start kicking idiots even more frequently than I usually do.

Harumph.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Elephant Ambush posted:

Attention raid pubbies: Stop bringing Curaise. It's the stupidest ability. Especially against a boss that spams AoE poison.

I've got to start kicking idiots even more frequently than I usually do.

Harumph.
What's wrong with curaise? Can't S+L in multiplayer, and using a spell slot and/or orbs on Arise is kind of a poo poo idea, so I don't see any reason not to bring it along, though ultra cure is better.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

What's wrong with curaise? Can't S+L in multiplayer, and using a spell slot and/or orbs on Arise is kind of a poo poo idea, so I don't see any reason not to bring it along, though ultra cure is better.

I bring Curaise often when I'm forced to pull Tyro to do some SGing. It saved quite a few runs, actually.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

I think the idea is that if you have to raise a character, the run's already in danger since they lose all their buffs.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I think the idea is that if you have to raise a character, the run's already in danger since they lose all their buffs.
Which is why people appreciated Last Stand when it appeared. Curaise can still be useful if you're just trying to squeak past a mastery condition, but otherwise...

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I've also had Curaise save more than one run. :shrug:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Geocities Homepage King posted:

I've also had Curaise save more than one run. :shrug:

:same:

I get why it's bad in single player but in raids you got multiple character slinging buffs around all the time because they're either bored or bad, and it pulls double duty as a heal so it's not like you're losing heals anyway. Sometimes the guy that just died might have been your only SG, and then they put it up and everyone's buffed again.

Curaise is good in multiplayer.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

The only time I've really seen Curaise be useful was Bart I think. Which also is the only time I've felt any kind of danger from an MP battle so go figure.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

And honestly, running Queklain without Affliction Break is just asking to be barfed all over anyway, Curaise or no Curaise.

That said, I've in the past run Celes with Curaise/Esuna as a backup pinch hitter, since most of her attacking turns are spent with her BSB commands so she doesn't need those skill slots. Curaise was also useful against Apoc Greg, what with his fondness of spamming instant death Zantetsukens. Everything's good and fine until your Wall caster eats poo poo off of a 1000 damage cherry tap.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm so happy I was finally able to craft myself Shellga, but I'm completely broke in terms of Earth Orbs so i can't make Protectga.

I was wondering, to help blow through trash and daily dungeons faster, is it a good idea to get Ruinga and hone it or save up for Valefor/Maduin/Alexander?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

There are 8 people and literally all of them can have Mako Might or the other one. Also everyone can be using Lifesiphon/wrath without digging into your orb stash. You shouldn't have much trouble keeping buffs up in multiplayer, even if a guy dies. Curaise is great.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I was wondering, to help blow through trash and daily dungeons faster, is it a good idea to get Ruinga and hone it or save up for Valefor/Maduin/Alexander?

Ruinga is infinitely cheaper to hone and available to a much wider span of people, but it's not as effective. That said, if you have the MAG to one-shot mobs (and Mana Spring II, Black Mage's second RM), then you only need a R3 Ruinga or so for most content. You need 5 uses of summon split across two skill slots to get roughly the same output with Summoning Spring II, but the MAG you need to one-shot things is also notably lower, so.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
At this stage, ruinga, it's still a good skill!

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the advice, going to slap a Ruinga together to help with farming. I haven't used the Black Mage since the first day I started, but I've been working on getting Fusoya levelled up to try and get his RM since it looks to be the same but more flexible.

This game has kept me well preoccupied while I've been laid up in bed all week recuperating....and I relented and paid money for a third pull on the FFIV banner because I never learn. The only highlight was getting the Marshmallow Moon Man robes, which gives me an Imperil Dark to go with Golbez at least. Was it worth it? Not at all.

But I suppose I'm content at the moment to have options for Holy or Dark teams, and have been lucky enough to get a medica and some other nice stat sticks. Golbez/Fusoya are a cooler duo than Agria/Hope at least.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Thanks for the advice, going to slap a Ruinga together to help with farming. I haven't used the Black Mage since the first day I started, but I've been working on getting Fusoya levelled up to try and get his RM since it looks to be the same but more flexible.

Yeah, the big appeal to the Black Mage/White Mage RM2s (aside from having redundancy in the case of mage teams) is that they're more reliable to get - instead of a random drop, you get them guaranteed from clearing elites that have "have this core character in your party" as mastery conditions anyway.

But that also means you have to use a core character in your party and cores are godawful. The worst named character is a hundred times better than the best core.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

The worst named character is a hundred times better than the best core.
Onion Knight is significantly worse than a core until level 93 :v:

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The joke is I started like a week ago and only have 3* and like 2 4* abilities at the moment, so Onion Knight probably wouldn't be too bad for me, honestly.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

No, I'm not kidding, Onion Knight is hot garbage until the mid-late 90s. Level 92 onion knight would lose to level 50 core white mage in a naked fistfight.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, Onion Knight is a weird case. Levels 1-92, he has absolutely terrible stats. Like, worse than anything else in the game, and dies to a light breeze. As soon as he hits 93, though, he gets a massive, completely unbalanced boost for each level up through 99. He's the worst through 92, then easily one of the best at 99. Of course, you also need to use Onion Knight motes, which are a pain to get now after his original event, if you want any of his skills to be 5* instead of 3*. And even then, the real attraction is his BSB, so without that, he's just pretty good.

That said, if you have him at 99, mote him up properly, and have his BSB, he's a murder machine able to fit into any physical, magical, or hybrid team.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

:ssh: The secret is that, as a character named after his job class, Onion Knight is half-core anyway :v:

But yeah, he and Tyro are opposite sides of the grey area. One is omnidiverse filler with crap stats, the other is Magikarp turning into Gyarados.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just noticed I have a Rosetta Stone in my inventory I don't remember how I got. It augments items, but I'm curious how rare they are or if I should save them for something really great or just slap it on Golbez's Zeromus Shard to make him more magically swole?

I guess I also have 3 Asura Rods I could save up a bunch of gold to combine and reforge and make terrifying also, but since grabbing him the other day Golbez has quickly jumped up to my favorite character and I want to boost my +dark gear.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I just noticed I have a Rosetta Stone in my inventory I don't remember how I got. It augments items, but I'm curious how rare they are or if I should save them for something really great or just slap it on Golbez's Zeromus Shard to make him more magically swole?

I guess I also have 3 Asura Rods I could save up a bunch of gold to combine and reforge and make terrifying also, but since grabbing him the other day Golbez has quickly jumped up to my favorite character and I want to boost my +dark gear.

they're pretty rare, we don't get much more than one per week and you want 20-30 to fully augment a piece of gear. save them for base 5* (or ideally 6*) equipment with a useful +element and good availability (+holy swords f. ex, or that Zeromus Shard since you've got a strong mono-element burst to go with it), so you can have an item that's powerful in all realms.

i've been playing for a year and so far the only item i've fully augmented is Cecil's Excalibur. i've got enough for augmenting one more item, but that's it.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Inge posted:

I respectfully disagree, depending on the character of course.

We've got a number of skills which are dependent on hitting stat thresholds for maximum effectiveness e.g. tiamat, upcoming omega drive, Maria BSB etc.

Maria for instance gains 30 mag with a complete record dive, which is around 15 levels worth. With the multiplicative effects of stat buffs, it can make a big difference in hitting those thresholds, requiring fewer buffs.

Also, the unbuffed extra damage is a pretty big deal under the cap, and while three days ago I'd agree with you in the case of attack stats, that cap has been lifted too.

While you're right in saying that getting new skill sets is the most important thing to dive for, don't dismiss the stat gain, as it can be really useful.

You're correct about the bsb needing stat thresholds. But the bsb stat limitation is like only 3 characters. Maria, papillimo and some other dude I guess. As for specific non-bsb skills, apart from tiamat, it's a non-issue. Lifebane is on a class that has a native 50% self attack boost. If you can't use it, then you need to wait till you can.

It's the same principle for reaching the stat cap, don't worry about it. If you're at the point where you need 20-30 more attack to hit the attack cap then level up the character and use synergy weapons. Or use a character you have synergy weapons for, even if it isn't your A-team. You'd be surprised what you can pull off, it's what I do.

If you try using 4* motes on any character just to reach the stat cap NOW, due to power creep you will reach it easily in the future and you will have wasted those motes.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Prav posted:

they're pretty rare, we don't get much more than one per week and you want 20-30 to fully augment a piece of gear. save them for base 5* (or ideally 6*) equipment with a useful +element and good availability (+holy swords f. ex, or that Zeromus Shard since you've got a strong mono-element burst to go with it), so you can have an item that's powerful in all realms.

i've been playing for a year and so far the only item i've fully augmented is Cecil's Excalibur. i've got enough for augmenting one more item, but that's it.

Also don't use Rosetta stones on armor unless you're a big dummy.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

CaptainPsyko posted:

I'm sure somebody has a fully augmented Excalipoor or two somewhere out there.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Prav posted:

Ah, didn't realize they were that rare. At the moment I quite like Golbez and his +dark Rod, it's probably worth waiting to see if I get any 6* items later during the anniversary. Thanks for the heads up.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

CaptainPsyko posted:

first thing I ever augmented, my Dark Gloves. I can't even eat them because they're still really good in FFIV. Luckily I have like a million Rosetta Stones just hanging out in my bag because I never use them anymore. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I save up my Rosetta Stones and blow them on whatever 8* equipment I can make. My maxed out Buster Sword may not be uber powerful, but it feels right dammit

• Locked thread