Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Angepain posted:

I didn't even know cookies had a gender.
I assume they have a grammatical gender in Spanish and German and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Mystic Mongol posted:

The oxford comma promotes legibility, dignity, and civilization in general.
I wish it was a thing in German. :(
Great stuff! Now do one for the Republicans!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Angepain posted:

I didn't even know cookies had a gender.
They're neuter in German. :can:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

Las galletas (cookies) are female in spian.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

frankenfreak posted:

What strange German word are you thinking of? Plätzchen? Some weirdo regional thing?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Cookies are male in French.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Rushputin posted:

What strange German word are you thinking of? Plätzchen? Some weirdo regional thing?
Yeah, I'm thinking Plätzchen. Keks would be masculine, but for most types of cookie I think Plätzchen is the correct translation.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Do kids still go door to door selling cookies? I assumed cookie order forms just appeared at workplaces for a few weeks out of the year.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

I wish it was a thing in German. :(

Great stuff! Now do one for the Republicans!

Isn't Lincoln the only republican president that everyone agrees was great?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the EU summit in Malta – Theresa May’s attempts to build bridges between Europe and Donald Trump were roundly rejected at the Valletta summit"

Telegraph:

Fillon payment inquiry: What you need to know; Start of Six Nations rugby union tournament

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MechaCrash posted:

Cartoons like these always piss me off, because it treats regulations as things that the mean ol' government does to poor plucky entrepreneurs just to be dicks, and not direct responses to ways in which business are loving people over.

There should be an isolated area where we'd deport all the "regulations bad" people. There would be only two rules in that land: 1. they can't leave, and 2. they can't make rules. It'd be fun.

Despera posted:

Half a million? How much of a f35 could that buy you anyway?

About 0.25%.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I assume they have a grammatical gender in Spanish and German and stuff.

In English too: "neutral" is a grammatical gender after all.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's migraine inducing that these people can say the dems are throwing tantrums when repubs throwing huge tantrums and not doing their jobs is how they gained control of congress. i also cannot begin to fathom how people are happy the regulations are being rolled back it's not like the recession was forty years ago.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

In English too: "neutral" is a grammatical gender after all.
Only when contrasted to other genders; English as a whole lacks genus and so you can't really say anything has it. :goonsay:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

santanotreal posted:

Do kids still go door to door selling cookies? I assumed cookie order forms just appeared at workplaces for a few weeks out of the year.

Yeah. They also stand around in front of walmarts and Home Depot's to do it.

And you should buy them. Girl Scouts are cool.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Some serious Pigman-level poo poo right there.

I'm sad that nobody has yet picked up on the fact that Bowling Green, Kentucky is John Carpenter's hometown. Have an appropriate image, even if it's a T-shirt and not a cartoon.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

frankenfreak posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking Plätzchen. Keks would be masculine, but for most types of cookie I think Plätzchen is the correct translation.

No, Cookies, like from a package are advertised as "Keks" Plätzchen are seasonal christmas cookies, at least where I live

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

skipThings posted:

No, Cookies, like from a package are advertised as "Keks" Plätzchen are seasonal christmas cookies, at least where I live
Yeah, I realized some time after posting that there's some regional differences in where the divide between Keks and Plätzchen is.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Tell me you wouldn't pay a fraction of a penny to know that somewhere, fish are being made to use a little treadmill. That it's being done for a reason is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned

The original "shrimp on a treadmill" study that conservatives love to whine about was a small portion of a larger study about the health of the aquatic populations in whatever body of water they were examining. The treadmill cost under $100 and was definitely worth every penny, shrimp need their exercise.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

tyblazitar posted:

Only when contrasted to other genders; English as a whole lacks genus and so you can't really say anything has it. :goonsay:

It still has gendered pronouns such as he, she, it. Since pronouns can replace any noun, every noun can be replaced by one (or more) pronouns, and therefore every noun is actually gendered.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

A good loving cartoon.

Retromancer posted:

I got 3 panels into this cartoon before I realized they weren't trying to do a Friday I'm in Love parody.

Me too, I was thinking "well this just doesn't scan at all."

Groovelord Neato posted:

i also cannot begin to fathom how people are happy the regulations are being rolled back it's not like the recession was forty years ago.

They believe that was triggered by the poor little banks being forced by the government to loan money to irresponsible black people who couldn't afford it.

No, really.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Improbable Lobster posted:

The original "shrimp on a treadmill" study that conservatives love to whine about was a small portion of a larger study about the health of the aquatic populations in whatever body of water they were examining. The treadmill cost under $100 and was definitely worth every penny, shrimp need their exercise.

I think the biggest own on conservatives and their hate for scientific research was when Sarah Palin was bitching about fruit fly research and a scientist said it had applications in understanding Downs Syndrome.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cat Mattress posted:

It still has gendered pronouns such as he, she, it. Since pronouns can replace any noun, every noun can be replaced by one (or more) pronouns, and therefore every noun is actually gendered.

I don't think you know how gendered pronouns work in English.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

I don't think you know how gendered pronouns work in English.

Does anyone?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

snucks posted:

to be fair to dees, aircrafts are like 80% aluminum, and bees do use their brains on a daily basis.

hay fever is caused by pollum
bees collect pollum

OH MY GOD BEES CAUSE HAY FEVER WITH THEIR POLLUM TRAILS!!!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
No, it means bees die because of hay fever!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Without the necessary counterweight of regulation, business will be uncontrollable.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Quorum posted:

Without the necessary counterweight of regulation, business will be uncontrollable.

Businesses are flying away to other countries and nothing can stop them

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jedit posted:

gendered pronouns

That's redundant.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Since I'm on a Gatis Sluka kick, here's some cartoons that I haven't seen here and made me laugh:

There was one I can't find now which wasn't translated and looked like an inane "Ikea instructions are complicated" joke, but the expressions were so goofy I couldn't help but love it anyway. They were like "Oh man you're gonna love this" and "gently caress yes I'm gonna do so much sitting when I get this thing assembled!"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

That's redundant.

Yes, I remember how first and second person pronouns are gendered in English. That is why I have different forms of "you" when I speak to men and women.

Also, grammatical gender is language internal, as in German, whereas what linguists call sexus has real world reference. This causes conflict in German where girl is neuter grammatically but feminine in real world meaning, leaving speakers with two viable third person singular pronouns.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Cat Mattress posted:

So every noun is technically gendered, and technically 99.9% of nouns would receive a gender neutral pronoun, therefore ??? ????? ????????????? ????????????????????????????????

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The US has about as much reason to fear Iran as the Patriots do to fear the Cleveland Browns. AGC.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I remember someone proposing an Umberto :Eco: smiley "Thus by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus..."

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Retromancer posted:

I got 3 panels into this cartoon before I realized they weren't trying to do a Friday I'm in Love parody.

It's this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monday%27s_Child

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
trying to shove that cartoon into Friday I'm In Love is, to be fair, far more entertaining than doing so with Monday's Child.

wow, Two Corinthians. That's a deep cut.

e: also oh god i've created a monster is there any kind of gender issues that this forum can handle

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I always chuckle at Luckovich's lamprey Trump.

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

Oh good, look like the moon is about to impact the earth and wipe out all life on the planet. A bold new direction for the comic, but I approve.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

I think he has to draw a free fall 1940's era bomb because the concept of a missile is just too abstract.

Twitter's excursion into pacifier manufacturing is not going well.

Cat eyeballing the gently caress out of that floor pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

These are some really great caricatures.

• Locked thread