Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

isk posted:

There's some fuckery going on in that. The timestamp in the upper right skip quickly from 20 to 19 right after the charge. Might've been a simple edit for aesthetics, but seems weird.

Possibly ripped out a few frames to make it faster. Happens too fast to notice unless you decide to nitpick, though.

Krogans getting Nova is basically the best thing. Prepare for Murdertrains Andromeda edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I didn't see a general mass effect thread so I'll post here. I decided to start playing the series for the first time, starting with the first. My main question - is there any way to turn off the irritating narration for the codex entries? I want to read them but that poo poo really irritates me.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I didn't see a general mass effect thread so I'll post here. I decided to start playing the series for the first time, starting with the first. My main question - is there any way to turn off the irritating narration for the codex entries? I want to read them but that poo poo really irritates me.

:catstare:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Not that I know of. The narration is only for the primary entries, though.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I had the same question until I saw someone saying they didn't' have money to hire a voice actor for codex this time around. drat the guy was slow at reading, it was really irritating and the biggest reason I never bothered with codex in previous ME's.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Ihmemies posted:

I had the same question until I saw someone saying they didn't' have money to hire a voice actor for codex this time around. drat the guy was slow at reading, it was really irritating and the biggest reason I never bothered with codex in previous ME's.

I liked the narration as background noise when I got up to do something else. Other times, I wished I could mute it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Also another question about ME1 in general, I know it's not open world, but is it on rails like the first hour of the game where you aren't in control at all of where you go? I'm guessing maybe it's just that way until it establishes itself.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Also another question about ME1 in general, I know it's not open world, but is it on rails like the first hour of the game where you aren't in control at all of where you go? I'm guessing maybe it's just that way until it establishes itself.
Yeah, it doesn't open up at all until you get to the Citadel, where you can start wandering about the place and pick up a shitload of sidequests. Game proper doesn't start until you leave there, and then it opens completely up.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah nice. And one more thing - I found the first mission somewhat challenging. Wound up being really low on health with no healing packs there toward the end. Also I felt like the map sucks a little, but the one thing that actually got on my nerves was the timer. I hope there aren't a ton of timed missions like that. Other than my griping, I really enjoy the rest, it seems like a cool setting.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Ah nice. And one more thing - I found the first mission somewhat challenging. Wound up being really low on health with no healing packs there toward the end. Also I felt like the map sucks a little, but the one thing that actually got on my nerves was the timer. I hope there aren't a ton of timed missions like that. Other than my griping, I really enjoy the rest, it seems like a cool setting.

I think there is one more towards the end of the game and another that is part of a sidequest but thats about it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

SubponticatePoster posted:

Yeah, it doesn't open up at all until you get to the Citadel, where you can start wandering about the place and pick up a shitload of sidequests. Game proper doesn't start until you leave there, and then it opens completely up.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""sidequests""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

JawKnee posted:

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""sidequests""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

what does this stuff even mean or imply

vvvvv I meant in the context of my post vvvvv

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 4, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:catstare: is the stare of a cat

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

what does this stuff even mean or imply

Simple

means "Why would you want to get rid of one of the cooler parts of the codex?

JawKnee posted:

means: If you want the real Mass Effect experience you'll do ALL the sidequests. All of them. Yes, even the bullshit busy work collectables (those pay of in the laziest , yet sort of hilarious way in ME3 in a single sequence.)

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah, thanks. Like someone else said, the narrator just reads the codex way too slow. If I read far ahead, it's distracting, and if I wait for it, it takes forever. I really don't see how someone can like it unless they just have a ton of free time.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Ah, thanks. Like someone else said, the narrator just reads the codex way too slow. If I read far ahead, it's distracting, and if I wait for it, it takes forever. I really don't see how someone can like it unless they just have a ton of free time.

Understandable. As for the sidequest thing honestly you can skip the collectables thing unless you find yourself really loving flying everywhere and driving the Mako as a lot of them are busy work (there is a sort of reward in ME3 like I said but it's a very checklist sort of sequence to pay off a lot of the inconsequential stuff from ME1 & 2) but the actual side missions were fun for their day. I haven't played ME1 since just before ME2 came out so I'm not sure how well they've aged. There are a few that are just "go here and deal with a thing" and that thing is usually "shoot the crap out of it" so depending on how much you can stand the shooting you'll either like them for the chance for more space loot or hate them.

I'd definitely recommend talking to every member of your party after every mission and following up with any plot hooks they come up with, as they all generally pay off in the series.

Also in ME1 especially pick Paragon or Renegade and stick to it. Trying to mix or match will mean there are a few later game checks you won't be able to make. Yes it's bullshit. They mostly fix it later in the series.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That's not right. Maxing out charm/intimidate was trivial in ME1. ME2 was where people had problems with checks. They "fixed" it in ME3 by ditching requirements.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Lycus posted:

That's not right. Maxing out charm/intimidate was trivial in ME1. ME2 was where people had problems with checks. They "fixed" it in ME3 by ditching requirements.

You're right. gently caress, it's been a while. Sorry about that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A little news about who's writing who:

Vetra the turian is being written by Sheryl Chee, who you may remember is the writer of Leliana, Wynne, Oghren, Sigrun, Velana, Isabela, and Blackwall. Yes, those are all Dragon Age characters, but Bioware has been moving writers around apparently.

Everyone's favorite Peebee is being written by Neil Pollner, who players of SWTOR will know wrote the Sith Warrior story. For Mass Effect he wrote Omega and the Aria T'Loak part of Citadel.

Cora is written by Joanna Berry, who is another writer recently of Dragon Age. In Inquisition she wrote both of the sub-bosses, Calpernia and Samson. She's also written for The Old Republic and is credited with "Additional Design" on Omega.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 4, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

marshmallow creep posted:

A little news about who's writing who:

Vetra the turian is being written by Sheryl Chee, who you may remember is the writer as Leliana, Wynne, Oghren, Sigrun, Velana, Isabela, and Blackwall. Yes, those are all Dragon Age characters, but Bioware has been moving writers around apparently.

Everyone's favorite Peebee is being written by Neil Pollner, who players of SWTOR will know wrote the Sith Warrior story. For Mass Effect he wrote Omega and the Aria T'Loak part of Citadel.

Cora is written by Joanna Berry, who is another writer recently of Dragon Age. In Inquisition she wrote both of the sub-bosses, Calpernia and Samson. She's also written for The Old Republic and is credited with "Additional Design" on Omega.

Writer of Sera not spotted. Well ok then, sounds good.

Calling it now though, Cora is going to be 2 edgy 2 cool.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

DancingShade posted:

everything re: Calpernia in DAI owned so it's a good sign her writer is on Cora.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sera's writer, Lukaz, Kristjanson, also wrote Aveline, one of the best characters of DA2, and In Your Heart Shall Burn, the only time in DAI when Corypheus feels like a threat and the player loses anything.

So, like, he can do some okay or even good stuff. Haven't seen anything about him connected to Andromeda, though, but there are a lot of writers on this.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

everything re: Calpernia in DAI owned so it's a good sign her writer is on Cora.

I had to visit YouTube because I completely forgot that character existed. Even reading the wiki I was "huh?".

When I played through DA:I she didn't even register as anything other than generic bad person NPC.

I don't want to come off too dismissive of your opinion though - I suspect that was just DA:I doing it's normal terrible job of pacing so that when I met her I had completely forgotten everything about her because I was too busy collecting 500 bear asses in different zones.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

We now have pictures of the incredibly ugly bonuses that come from the Deluxe edition:

They have mentioned that you will have a closet for your casual outfits. Hopefully the selection is less eye-gouging than what was available in Inquisition. Or that hoody. Does anyone ever look good in an hoody? Luke Cage, I guess.

The pyjak, incidentally, is not limited to one location like the robodog in the cargo hold from ME3. It can turn up anywhere.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 4, 2017

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

DancingShade posted:

I had to visit YouTube because I completely forgot that character existed. Even reading the wiki I was "huh?".

When I played through DA:I she didn't even register as anything other than generic bad person NPC.

I don't want to come off too dismissive of your opinion though - I suspect that was just DA:I doing it's normal terrible job of pacing so that when I met her I had completely forgotten everything about her because I was too busy collecting 500 bear asses in different zones.

Nah I feel you. I find her story unique -- the idea she has about lives in Tevinter being wasted instead of spent makes her a more interesting character than if she just wanted a straight-up reform of Tevinter

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

quote:

Ian S. Frazier ‏@tibermoon 1m
In SP, there is a way to access more than 3 abilities while in the field. Will explain how it works later. :)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Vetra the turian is being written by Sheryl Chee, who you may remember is the writer of Leliana, Wynne, Oghren, Sigrun, Velana, Isabela, and Blackwall. Yes, those are all Dragon Age characters, but Bioware has been moving writers around apparently.
Huh, that seems pretty good.

quote:

Everyone's favorite Peebee is being written by Neil Pollner, who players of SWTOR will know wrote the Sith Warrior story.
Wow, the sith warrior story was one of the better parts of SWTOR, that's really

quote:

For Mass Effect he wrote Omega and the Aria T'Loak part of Citadel.
I...uhh.... okay.

quote:

So what I'm getting is that the odds of Cora being actually related to TIM just increased by 50%.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Ian S. Frazier ‏@tibermoon 1m
In SP, there is a way to access more than 3 abilities while in the field. Will explain how it works later. :)

Bring teammates. :)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Bring teammates. :)

Clickbait article writers HATE this man, click here to find out why!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

JawKnee posted:

Look man, if you don't enjoy yelling at a lady until she has an abortion, yelling at a grieving man to forget about his wife's corpse, or yelling at a jellyfish until it stops proselytizing I don't know what to tell you.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Apparently this lady from the multiplayer blip we saw is named the Kineticist. Bioware has said that you can't edit the character's head or face but you can change their outfits. So it'll be exactly like ME3 MP was for non-humans, only now humans aren't all wearing helmets.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SubponticatePoster posted:

Look man, if you don't enjoy yelling at a lady until she has an abortion, yelling at a grieving man to forget about his wife's corpse, or yelling at a jellyfish until it stops proselytizing I don't know what to tell you.

Well, I mean, what's he gonna do with a dead body? I mean, I guess since it's the mass effect universe he'd probably just gently caress it, but it's much more helpful being studied to save lives down the line.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sera's writer, Lukaz, Kristjanson, also wrote Aveline, one of the best characters of DA2, and In Your Heart Shall Burn, the only time in DAI when Corypheus feels like a threat and the player loses anything.

So, like, he can do some okay or even good stuff. Haven't seen anything about him connected to Andromeda, though, but there are a lot of writers on this.

is weeks back. i like his writing. he wrote the great parts of me3 and 2.

We now have pictures of the incredibly ugly bonuses that come from the Deluxe edition:

They have mentioned that you will have a closet for your casual outfits. Hopefully the selection is less eye-gouging than what was available in Inquisition. Or that hoody. Does anyone ever look good in an hoody? Luke Cage, I guess.

The pyjak, incidentally, is not limited to one location like the robodog in the cargo hold from ME3. It can turn up anywhere.

i like the casual suit. it looks very star treky. and pyjaks are cool. also i kinda like how this game has definitely a bit more star trek feel going on.

DancingShade posted:

thank christ. Sara could have been interesting but she was annoying and an rear end in a top hat and not in a fun or good way.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
You know, for as much as people maligned Destiny for hiding the good plot stuff on their website via the Grimoire, I would love a Mass Effect codex app for my phone. I rarely want to sit and read codex entries while I'm playing, but I'd love to read a few codex entries on the toilet or during breaks at work. Games should really have as little non-gameplay poo poo as possible in them, and it's the perfect kind of content for a companion app.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thank christ. Sara could have been interesting but she was annoying and an rear end in a top hat and not in a fun or good way.

Just lol if you were too gormless to stand up to Sera while pursuing a romance with her.

Sometimes wifeys fight yo.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Sera was the best character after Dorian, who was the best bro.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

PureRok posted:

:agreed:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

DrNutt posted:

You know, for as much as people maligned Destiny for hiding the good plot stuff on their website via the Grimoire, I would love a Mass Effect codex app for my phone. I rarely want to sit and read codex entries while I'm playing, but I'd love to read a few codex entries on the toilet or during breaks at work. Games should really have as little non-gameplay poo poo as possible in them, and it's the perfect kind of content for a companion app.
I am not a fan of this line of reasoning. No I should not have to get any other book, story, game or app to fully appreciate the game, even if it is free.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

PureRok posted:

I actually enjoyed a lot of Sera's dialogue in the field, especially when she's incredulous about trusting magic, but her introduction is one of the most obnoxious scenes in the history of games. So that puts a big damper on the character as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

sweet geek swag posted:

I am not a fan of this line of reasoning. No I should not have to get any other book, story, game or app to fully appreciate the game, even if it is free.

Both would be a nice compromise