Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

FirstAidKite posted:

HHi everybody I am currently at a one-day anuime convention and I am operating on not a lot of restul sleep and my fiancee bought a cute little pokemon pikachu blind bag thing where it's a bunch of mmini furniture based around pikachu and the blind bag she got ended up having a pokemon tv with a pikachu hanging off of it and a soda and a bucket of popcorn with a pokemon label on it and it is fun except for the part where I am struggling to stay awake and am on the verge of crashing and I might just head out to the carr and fall asleep for a few hours because ughhhhhh

How is everybody else doing today

Grats on getting something you wanted out of a mystery box. Those things are the devil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Real hurthling! posted:

as a major coward i would have just done an eyepatch for life.
as also a major coward when it comes to eye stuff, I considered just dealing with it forever because "having your cornea scraped off with a scalpel or lasered off" is not a pleasant proposition, but now that it's over and done with I can say I am happy I had it done even if the last ~10 days sucked because seeing well out of both eyes instead of one is a good thing

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The surgery sounds worthy it, plus hey fun drugs. The withdrawal is gonna be poo poo though. Literally in some cases.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

as also a major coward when it comes to eye stuff, I considered just dealing with it forever because "having your cornea scraped off with a scalpel or lasered off" is not a pleasant proposition, but now that it's over and done with I can say I am happy I had it done even if the last ~10 days sucked because seeing well out of both eyes instead of one is a good thing

Not quite eye stuff, but I had a sort of similar feeling when I got nasal surgery. Like before it wasn't bad enough that I didn't think I could live with it, and the surgery and recovery period sucked, but afterward I'm glad I did it. Pain pills definitely helped, and thankfully I did not get addicted.

On a games note, today I will undertake the ultimate challenge and do my taxes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chumbler posted:

On a games note, today I will undertake the ultimate challenge and do my taxes.
I'm a pro player and have an accountant for a stepdad who powerlevels me through my taxes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The government does my taxes for me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I literally use EZ mode for my taxes

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

1. Get rich.

2. Make sure one of your businesses gets into trouble.

3. Write it off as a loss so that you never have to pay income taxes again.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

FirstAidKite posted:

HHi everybody I am currently at a one-day anuime convention and I am operating on not a lot of restul sleep and my fiancee bought a cute little pokemon pikachu blind bag thing where it's a bunch of mmini furniture based around pikachu and the blind bag she got ended up having a pokemon tv with a pikachu hanging off of it and a soda and a bucket of popcorn with a pokemon label on it and it is fun except for the part where I am struggling to stay awake and am on the verge of crashing and I might just head out to the carr and fall asleep for a few hours because ughhhhhh

How is everybody else doing today

Don't sleep another youtuber might try and steal your girl.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Struggling with number 1

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i always did my taxes but when i married my wife i couldn't anymore cause she has all her poo poo going to her childhood home in the mail for some reason cause she's too lazy to get a new id with our address on it so now my father in law just sends that all to a accountant that he pays for and i send my stuff to them to combine.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nasgate posted:

I missed it a few pages back, but while I understand gacha complaints usually, I dont get it for Fire Emblem. The heroes you get from the story mode cover the 3 weapon types as well as an archer. And those story heroes have some kick rear end abilities. The rpg progression really prevents the gacha from being a necessity, especially if you invest the tonnes of currency they give you into increasing your exp gain.

Like yeah, if you want to get deep into pvp or collect your specific favourite dude, i could see wasting money on the game. But those things have always specifically targeted whales. For playing the game, aside from the single novelty pull i did at the start, Ive been cruising through the story mode without issue.

Targeting whales is bad you idiot

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Real hurthling! posted:

go to the sa mart and find the great game exchange thread. people will swap stuff with you there

thanks kind goon!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lizard Wizard posted:

They're an endangered species

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

They're an endangered species

I wish they were

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

i always did my taxes but when i married my wife i couldn't anymore cause she has all her poo poo going to her childhood home in the mail for some reason cause she's too lazy to get a new id with our address on it so now my father in law just sends that all to a accountant that he pays for and i send my stuff to them to combine.

I only have a W2 and 1099-G to worry about typically, so turbotax works fine. gently caress if I'm gonna do it by hand from the basic forms.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

Targeting whales with things most sane individuals dont care about is good actually. It lets me play this dumb but fun game for free without remorse because i know the devs are getting paid.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

As long as the people getting screwed over aren't me, no remorse!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

lets hang out posted:

It's the American way.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Willingly putting money into a gacha is the same as putting money into a slot machine, but you can only redeem the tokens you win for desktop backgrounds.

Saying whales are getting screwed is weird.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

lets hang out posted:

What's your opinion on cities banning supersized soft drinks?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

What's your opinion on cities banning supersized soft drinks?

Supersized soft drinks are not an anticonsumer business model.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LawfulWaffle posted:

Oh no, this game very few people have played is so much harder than the game everyone has had years to practice! It'll take like a week before someone uploads a series of SL1 naked/barehanded runs through each stage and people pounce on doomsayers for not "gitting good"

Did you actually read the series of tweets linked or just that one? The reason the person said that is because even basic enemies can one-shot you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Did you actually read the series of tweets linked or just that one? The reason the person said that is because even basic enemies can one-shot you.

No one else seems to have mentioned that, though. Maybe they just sucked at wearing armor and building a character?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maybe. I guess we'll see in like 3 days. :shrug:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Maybe. I guess we'll see in like 3 days. :shrug:

I can't wait. I'm still not sure I'm getting it, because there's a real catastrophe going on in my house right now that's going to have budgetary implications. But at the same time, god I need a vacation from it, so maybe I should splurge anyway for my sanity.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's probably something like they don't realise there are buttons on the controller to attack + block

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

It's probably something like they don't realise there are buttons on the controller to attack + block

In fairness, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the polygon article does mention getting combo'd to death which you can prevent by just hitting the block button so

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

the polygon article does mention getting combo'd to death which you can prevent by just hitting the block button so

There is a strong tendency for people, including me, to exhagerrate quick deaths into "being one-shotted". Playing a lot of souls, I have learned to become more observant about when and where damage is happening. Before developing this as a skill, lots of very quick deaths feel like being one-shotted. But actually you were only at 80% health and it was a 2-hit combo and you mid-attack so they got counter-damage. Stuff like that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

chumbler posted:

Supersized soft drinks are not an anticonsumer business model.
My point was more along the lines of it's not a chemically dependent addiction so unless you are cool with the government stepping in who is to blame for people spending thousands on a game? The people who freely spend their money seem fine spending it. As a consumer, I simply ignore the microtransaction components and get more than enough out of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just because you ignore it doesn't mean it's not there. Likewise, just because it is ignorable doesn't mean it's not a problem.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Basic enemies can oneshot you but "basic enemies can oneshot you" is pretty exaggerated. If you're going for a low-armor build and are fighting a dude with a giant axe who does a flourish you don't get out of the way of, yeah, you'll die in one hit. Notice how many caveats are added to that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Unless the main game is way, way more brutal than the demos, I'd guess they're not wearing decent armor and getting hit in the back.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Harrow posted:

Unless the main game is way, way more brutal than the demos,

I would say that's not the unlikeliest explanation because that was the case with Dark Souls 2 for sure. There is precedent for hard-rear end games having slightly-less-hard-rear end demos.

edit; rewording

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I would say that's not the unlikeliest explanation because that was the case with Dark Souls 2 for sure. There is precedent for hard-rear end games having slightly-less-hard-rear end demos.

edit; rewording

That'd be pretty interesting in that case, because the demos were still pretty hard and had a pretty small margin for error. I'm curious to see if that's the case on Tuesday or if some people are just not adapting to how important upgrading your armor is and how important it is not to get hit in the back.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dark Souls II was easier than the demo because you got to level 100 like halfway through the game and you could get a max weapon in a few hours of playing

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All games are super easy for me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

All games are super easy for me

Yeah. Im a hardcore gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ive never beaten SMB3 warpless and Im playing through it now and beating every level and wow, its a hell of a game.

• Locked thread