Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ImpactVector posted:

And it doesn't add much to the game other than a time sink

I thought that was the friggen point of adding mods? :psyduck:

A good mod has to give you something to actually do with your time. Its a sandbox game, you have to have something to do or its pointless. I mean, its easy enough to just cheat or change the recipes yourself, why complain about the balance? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ambaire posted:

You guys should try out Refined Storage. It's basically AE2 but without hunting for meteors or whatever nonsense and the storage disks store a flat 4/whatever thousand items no matter how many different types you got in there.
This is what's in most modpacks now anyway. I miss channels and ae2 autocrafting.

Meteors are kind of dumb, but if you're on a server people can just copy the things for you. If you're playing alone they are plentiful and pretty quick to collect.

CrazyTolradi posted:

But even then, spending 45 minutes straight trying to work on your storage system is also kind of stupid when you're a fulltime worker with family and social commitments, but you like gaming and modding Minecraft and just want to build nice things and not have to deal with 20 odd doublechests or have to cheat things in (or have to go through and fiddle with MineTweaker). So yeah, I agree, it's not game breaking, it doesn't poo poo out 6 Nether Stars every ten minutes or vomit stacks of Ender Pearls. It's just a storage system that makes everything else that much easier.

I'd really love to know WHY people think not-lovely storage needs to be behind so much grind.
I played ftb infinity expert when I had an hour per day to play. I cheated in a chunk loader so I didn't have to leave MC open 24/7, but besides that I played it completely legit. Everything in that pack is gated hardcore. I didn't make it to ae2 and I must have sunk 100+ hours into the drat thing. Well, I had a sweet logistics pipes+storage drawers network so there wasn't too much of a point to doing ae2 at that point. Logistics Pipes is really fun.

Having a clear goal for the day's play session and achieving it is great. Having plans laid out that I'm going to do x, then y, then z is great in my opinion. I played that pack for a lot of months, and I never reached the end of the tech tree. I just decided to do bees and then got bored once I had completely unlocked gendustry which is a task and a half in that modpack. If someone I knew was playing or I opened the server to goons I would have definitely kept playing.

Most modpacks get boring pretty fast because it feels like you've gone infinite and there's nothing worth doing.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 4, 2017

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

ImpactVector posted:

The other resource is patience. It's the transactional frustration that comes with either manual sorting or keeping track/searching through chests that's the real QoL issue.

And it doesn't add much to the game other than a time sink and a bunch of frustration.

Plus it's a solved problem. The tech exists to remove chests from the game entirely, we just artificially gate it because of nebulous "balance" concerns against an arbitrary baseline (vanilla).

If you find AE2 frustrating, then you're looking at mods wrong. (With the exception of Meteor hunting. I agree about that being frustrating largely because exploring the world can be very difficult and slow in Minecraft).

And of course it's a "solved problem". If we wanted it a mod could be made to literally let you carry everything in your inventory. That's not the point. The point is that it's still a game. And the "arbitrary baseline" isn't arbitrary at all because vanilla quite literally is the base.

Honestly, if making an AE2 network is something that's too frustrating, there are other mods that might suit your needs better. That's one of the nice things about our current mod landscape - there are a LOT of options for many of these things and you can very easily tweak even published packs to include a mod you would prefer instead.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm hitting the point in TFC EZ that I would hit in TFC regardless: that impatience in having to handle metals at the steel age. I'm trying to work into black steel, and have discovered that I think I need a black steel anvil to make the drat sheets. So before I can even utilize black steel, I have to process a ton of it. The processing is becoming extremely tedious.

I could just cheat through it but I was thinking about how to get past this. I have this damaged notion that from hearing about having "a forge" that it generally means you just have one of them. I assume the grownups will set up a line of them and go to town. I also walled around three sides of my forge, but IIRC that's unnecessary, right? It's especially difficult to, say, run a crucible on top while trying to run a bellows and keep the forge fueled. Or do people just sperg through it?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I found a diamond in a lootbag playing Project Ozone 2. I figure this is my chance, I can finally get alchemy up and running. I try to craft a philosophers stone and it doesn't work. I look up the recipe and see that it has been tampered with! oh jeez, ProjectE Items are now gated behind mastering a bunch of other mods I guess. I suppose that fair.....
:negative:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

heat the pig iron in the forge, make the black steel mix in the crucible. 7 steel, 3.5 nickel, 3.5 black bronze is enough for your anvil, but you may wanna go 14 / 7 / 7 for spares and whole numbers. you can't go bigger, crucible holds 30 ingots max. weld the ingots together with pig iron on your normal steel anvil as they come out of the crucible, weld 'em into double ingots before they cool down.

but yes, plural forges would enable you to get all your pig iron up to temperature so it's ready for use and would be a bit faster. it won't melt if you don't use bellows, but you need bellows to melt your black steel mixture. so four forges will do you - three for pigs, one to pump out weak black steel. they do not need walls, they just need a chimney

go hit up a coal vein, don't waste your charcoal

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Serifina posted:

If you find AE2 frustrating, then you're looking at mods wrong. (With the exception of Meteor hunting. I agree about that being frustrating largely because exploring the world can be very difficult and slow in Minecraft).

And of course it's a "solved problem". If we wanted it a mod could be made to literally let you carry everything in your inventory. That's not the point. The point is that it's still a game. And the "arbitrary baseline" isn't arbitrary at all because vanilla quite literally is the base.

Honestly, if making an AE2 network is something that's too frustrating, there are other mods that might suit your needs better. That's one of the nice things about our current mod landscape - there are a LOT of options for many of these things and you can very easily tweak even published packs to include a mod you would prefer instead.
No, it's vanilla chests and crafting tables that I find needlessly frustrating. AE2 is generally fine, with the caveat that it'd be nice to skip chests and go straight to the equivalent of a simple drive+crafting terminal system immediately. I don't mind at all that the advanced features are gated behind resource collection. Even channel management is a fairly interesting engineering problem IMO.

And of course it's arbitrary. Vanilla is just a game some dude made. Crafting especially is an exercise in tedium even compared to something like Terraria.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

ImpactVector posted:

No, it's vanilla chests and crafting tables that I find needlessly frustrating. AE2 is generally fine, with the caveat that it'd be nice to skip chests and go straight to the equivalent of a simple drive+crafting terminal system immediately. I don't mind at all that the advanced features are gated behind resource collection. Even channel management is a fairly interesting engineering problem IMO.

And of course it's arbitrary. Vanilla is just a game some dude made. Crafting especially is an exercise in tedium even compared to something like Terraria.

I would recommend Storage Drawers as an entry point then.

And it's arbitrary for Minecraft, but mods build on top of that - therefore what Minecraft has is not arbitrary for them. Grumbling about basic Minecraft features themselves is something else entirely.

Also worth noting that Minecraft, as vanilla, has nowhere near the sheer number of insane things Terraria does and doesn't really need the more streamlined crafting system. As modded, that's another matter entirely, and is a large part of why NEI/JEI works the way they do.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

terrafirmacraft EZ question - am i supposed to be able to duplicate red steel hammers by crafting them with any chunk of ore (i used limonite)

also do the flowers (e.g. milkweed) signify anything? i know goldenrod means clay but idk if the others mean DIG HERE FOR ORE or something
The tool duping comes from the Udary Mod and I can't figure out how to stop it, so I guess use it infrequently and you're on the honor system? You're definitely not supposed to dupe tools. Though honestly I rarely see a need to use any of those recipes in the first place.
As for the flowers, nope. Milkweed and the others are just decorative as far as I know.
Boy, you should have seen it before I edited out the mega plant pack though. The wilderness was filled dozens of kinds of utterly useless plants, which not only served no purpose themselves, but actively obfuscated actual plants you need. I started in a cold area my first time playing, so hunting for seaweed was hard enough without confusing it for kelp, seagrass, and MPP seaweed. Good luck spotting growing soybeans in the wild when they're hidden among 20 kinds of weird flowers and stems.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

To everyone complaining about bad AE2 recipes:

code:

//aliases
val iron = <minecraft:iron_ingot>;
val gold = <minecraft:gold_ingot>;
val redstone = <minecraft:redstone>;
val nether_quartz = <minecraft:quartz>;
val diamond = <minecraft:diamond>;
var stone = <minecraft:stone>;

val sky_stone = <appliedenergistics2:smooth_sky_stone_block>;

val silicon = <ore:itemSilicon>;
val fluix_block = <appliedenergistics2:fluix_block>;

val certus_quartz = <appliedenergistics2:material>;
val charged_quartz = <appliedenergistics2:material:1>;
val fluix_crystal = <appliedenergistics2:material:7>;

val circuit_quartz = <appliedenergistics2:material:16>;
val circuit_diamond = <appliedenergistics2:material:17>;
val circuit_gold = <appliedenergistics2:material:18>;

val proc_gold = <appliedenergistics2:material:22>;
val proc_quartz = <appliedenergistics2:material:23>;
val proc_diamond = <appliedenergistics2:material:24>;

////////////////////////////
//  Alternate AE Recipes  //
////////////////////////////

//circuit recipes
recipes.addShaped(proc_gold,
   [[redstone, silicon, redstone],
	[  iron,    gold,     iron 	],
	[redstone, silicon, redstone]]);

recipes.addShaped(proc_diamond,
	[  iron,   diamond,   iron 	],

recipes.addShaped(proc_quartz,
	[ iron, charged_quartz, iron],

recipes.addShaped(<appliedenergistics2:controller>,
	[[sky_stone, fluix_block, sky_stone],
	[fluix_block, proc_diamond, fluix_block],
	[sky_stone, fluix_block, sky_stone]]);

//fluix crystal
recipes.addShapeless(fluix_crystal * 2, [charged_quartz, nether_quartz, redstone]);

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Ambaire posted:

You guys should try out Refined Storage. It's basically AE2 but without hunting for meteors or whatever nonsense and the storage disks store a flat 4/whatever thousand items no matter how many different types you got in there.

It's somewhat of a hybrid between AE 1 and AE2. Does ditch the stupider mechanics but loses the multipart block stuff that lets you make super-dense processing arrays.

I don't understand why people are so hung up on needing to go meteor hunting and a trip to the nether for slightly upgraded storage. I absolutely think the high-density storage and autocrafting should require meteorite bits and nether quartz, but not a 4k storage and your crafting terminal.

To explain it better: You need to complete the entire mod to get the first bit of it. Once you've found the 4 plates, 2 charged certus and gotten a few stacks of nether quartz, you're done, everything is unlocked. That's not progression, it's a giant cliff.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

heat the pig iron in the forge, make the black steel mix in the crucible. 7 steel, 3.5 nickel, 3.5 black bronze is enough for your anvil, but you may wanna go 14 / 7 / 7 for spares and whole numbers. you can't go bigger, crucible holds 30 ingots max. weld the ingots together with pig iron on your normal steel anvil as they come out of the crucible, weld 'em into double ingots before they cool down.

but yes, plural forges would enable you to get all your pig iron up to temperature so it's ready for use and would be a bit faster. it won't melt if you don't use bellows, but you need bellows to melt your black steel mixture. so four forges will do you - three for pigs, one to pump out weak black steel. they do not need walls, they just need a chimney

go hit up a coal vein, don't waste your charcoal

I understand how to make black steel. The issue is making lots of black steel. The pig iron has its own intermediate steps before throwing in the weak steel, and it looks like before I can even use the stuff that I'll have to make the anvil. So it's 14 ingots worth of the stuff to even get in the door.

I just expanded my operation to four forges and gave the bloomery an extra story's worth of vertical space. That should make things a little more manageable.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I want a centralized storage access terminal because interacting with your inventory is tedious and I want to place blocks into cool buildings. Not loving around with growth crystals, and meteor hunting, and obtuse stubborn crafting stations just for the convenience of not looking through a dozen chests.

Heck the new Extra Utilities has something sorta like that and it's great if a little janky. Let me pile up as many wooden chests as I want and pull from them as wanted from a central location.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Blind Duke posted:

Let me pile up as many wooden chests as I want and pull from them as wanted from a central location.

this describes botania corporea networks pretty well, but they are pretty much end-game botania progression as they require stuff from the end

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Harik posted:

It's somewhat of a hybrid between AE 1 and AE2. Does ditch the stupider mechanics but loses the multipart block stuff that lets you make super-dense processing arrays.

I don't understand why people are so hung up on needing to go meteor hunting and a trip to the nether for slightly upgraded storage. I absolutely think the high-density storage and autocrafting should require meteorite bits and nether quartz, but not a 4k storage and your crafting terminal.

To explain it better: You need to complete the entire mod to get the first bit of it. Once you've found the 4 plates, 2 charged certus and gotten a few stacks of nether quartz, you're done, everything is unlocked. That's not progression, it's a giant cliff.

Check the Reborn Storage addon for that Refined Storage mod.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Yeah Refined Storage is basically everything I wanted AE/AE2 to be. I really like it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I understand how to make black steel. The issue is making lots of black steel. The pig iron has its own intermediate steps before throwing in the weak steel, and it looks like before I can even use the stuff that I'll have to make the anvil. So it's 14 ingots worth of the stuff to even get in the door.

I just expanded my operation to four forges and gave the bloomery an extra story's worth of vertical space. That should make things a little more manageable.

yes. that's what i'm saying. do it in batches like that, and bingo, you have a lot of black steel. 28 ingots is enough black steel for a couple of IE blast furnaces and two kinetic dynamos

what's the bloomery used for in this context? do you have a railcraft blast furnace? if so, just stick iron ore piles into it - no need to gently caress about refining iron if you're just going to pig it

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I have two questions:

1. If Steam is go by to indicate, there are approximately 500,000,000,000^10 minecraft clones on it and the rate of release is only increasing. Out of the countless, countless clones, are there any "mincraft-esque" games with novel or interesting tweaks that are actually interesting?

2. Any single player "mod packs" you would recommend to make goofing around on your own a new and novel experience? I played Minecraft a lot when it was new-ish but got bored of it.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Diogines posted:

I have two questions:
2. Any single player "mod packs" you would recommend to make goofing around on your own a new and novel experience? I played Minecraft a lot when it was new-ish but got bored of it.
Blightfall is still the cream of the crop for this, so if you haven't played it yet I'd highly recommend it. It's set on a pregenerated alien planet that's been taken over by Thaumcraft taint, and the goal is to clear it off. You'll likely stop short of actually clearing the world since it's pretty tedious on your own, but the journey to that point is pretty great. It's on Technic.

Alternately, if you're way out of date, Agrarian Skies was the first pack to use a questbook, and it does a good job of explaining the 1.6 mod landscape, much of which carries forward to 1.7 (and somewhat for 1.10+). It's a full on skyblock though, with all the waiting/grinding that that entails. This one's on FTB/Curse.

Or if you want your hand held learning things Baby's First Space Race is goon-made, and does a good job of guiding you through 1.7's mod landscape with a quest book and generous rewards that push you forward after you demonstrate you have the concepts down. On Technic.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Diogines posted:

I just got back into playing Minecraft a few days ago myself. I am really enjoying the Project Ozone 2 mod pack. It has a lot of enchacments to take out the tedious parts of early mod stuff, and the quest book walks you through a bunch of mods. Its designed for a skyblock, but you can just play on a regular map if you want. I watched this lets play series to learn the basics:
https://mods.curse.com/modpacks/minecraft/244939-project-ozone-2-reloaded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNA3lsmD8M4

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

I just got back into playing Minecraft a few days ago myself. I am really enjoying the Project Ozone 2 mod pack. It has a lot of enchacments to take out the tedious parts of early mod stuff, and the quest book walks you through a bunch of mods. Its designed for a skyblock, but you can just play on a regular map if you want. I watched this lets play series to learn the basics:
https://mods.curse.com/modpacks/minecraft/244939-project-ozone-2-reloaded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNA3lsmD8M4

Yeah, PO2 is kind of nice but I wish the quest rewards were better than just 'here's a shitton of chance cubes'. That's my only major complaint.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Quick PO2 question: is there a way to change the quest screen setup to be the older hexes-connected-by-lines style like in Rebirth of Agrarian Skies? I find the old style easier to read.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, PO2 is kind of nice but I wish the quest rewards were better than just 'here's a shitton of chance cubes'. That's my only major complaint.

Thats my favorite part actually! Makes the progression really non-linear, as you can get good rewards that let you sequence break.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
You know, I don't think The Aftermath was playtested much. Multiple blaze spawners in tight quarters, with Enviromine present? Why would you do that?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

McFrugal posted:

You know, I don't think The Aftermath was playtested much. Multiple blaze spawners in tight quarters, with Enviromine present? Why would you do that?

Haha okay yeah the blaze spawners were incredibly terrible. Being on fire is bad enough without heat stroke.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Eight. There were eight blaze spawners in there.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
For fast, easy, early storage, wouldn't the RFTools modular storage thingamajig be easy enough to use? Doesn't require RF and holds 300 stacks max. Just a chest, iron, gold, redstone, and quartz for the basic tier.
Untill you get your AE2 / RS stuff setup anyway (of course with walls upon walls of storage drawers, that's basicly a must for cheap storage of everything stackable).

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Diogines posted:

1. If Steam is go by to indicate, there are approximately 500,000,000,000^10 minecraft clones on it and the rate of release is only increasing. Out of the countless, countless clones, are there any "mincraft-esque" games with novel or interesting tweaks that are actually interesting?

I think FortressCraft Evolved is okay? It came about because there was an audience for console Minecraft, and at the time there was no console Minecraft, and Microsoft's XBox Live Indie Games program was kind of a wasteland, so this was a perfect niche to move into. I wouldn't call it "a Minecraft clone," but there's also Space Engineers, which is very big on gathering up basic resources and using them to make bases and big fancy ships and stuff. Just keep in mind that you have to build your ships and bases block by block and that poo poo can get complicated.

But as a general rule of thumb, if something on Steam is on Early Access or Greenlight, and looks an awful lot like some other popular game (typically "an FPS" or "Minecraft," let's be real here), and it does not make it immediately apparent what makes it worth playing over the game it is shamelessly copying, then odds are pretty good it's complete poo poo.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh how about that. In the version of Pneumaticraft that's in Aftermath, you can't get Lubricant, because the recipe for Kerosene overrides it. Yet there's a quest to fill a drum with lube. The author definitely didn't test this pack much.
Edit: okay apparently the solution is that you give the processing plant 0 pressure. If you give it any pressure it tries to make kerosene.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 6, 2017

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Diogines posted:

I have two questions:

1. Empyrion galactic survival is genuinely fun and good, and has more survival aspects than Space Engineers. I have ~220 hours in Empyrion and ~600 hours in Space engineers, but I think Empyrion is the better space survival minecraft-like.

2. As mentioned, Blightfall is amazing. Galactic Science is basically a skyblock on the moon and you visit other planets, but can get tedious fast... There's also Pathfinder, which revolves around RFtools and ProjectE, and which I had a lot of fun with a year or two ago.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

McFrugal posted:

Oh how about that. In the version of Pneumaticraft that's in Aftermath, you can't get Lubricant, because the recipe for Kerosene overrides it. Yet there's a quest to fill a drum with lube. The author definitely didn't test this pack much.
Edit: okay apparently the solution is that you give the processing plant 0 pressure. If you give it any pressure it tries to make kerosene.

I must assume that this is a reference to the 55 Gallon Barrel of Lube of Amazon fame

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I have been working on a plugin for a network and I thought i would let you see what i am up to -

This is the sign shop part of the plugin.

(I am really happy with it, first time i have really had something i could show people as normally i am cleaning up bad code etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnxkylN99PY

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

MechaCrash posted:

I think FortressCraft Evolved is okay? It came about because there was an audience for console Minecraft, and at the time there was no console Minecraft, and Microsoft's XBox Live Indie Games program was kind of a wasteland, so this was a perfect niche to move into.
The original FortressCraft was more like Minecraft on the consoles, FortressCraft Evolved is an entirely different beast and only on the PC. I think this is a big reason you see so much hate directed at Evolved, everyone thinks its a minecraft knock off it. It's not. The closest comparison would be if Modded Minecraft and Factorio had a baby.

I put a ridiculous number of hours into Evolved. I think just about anybody that likes modded minecraft manufacturing chains would adore the game. It does have a short but steep vertical learning curve but he recently just released a new patch with a bunch of tutorial sequences for new players. Which is the other point, the dev has been releasing free content like crazy for years. There are paid DLC but none are necessary, at all, until 100+ hours into the game.

I am a total fanboy of the game these days.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I put about an hour and a half into fortresscraft evolved before I uninstalled it, and it was complete unadulterated grindy bullshit with incomprehensible controls that made no sense at all. I don't understand its positive review score at all, and I say that as someone who's put thousands of hours into modded minecraft and almost 200 hours into Factorio, most of which is with bob's mods and dytech and other stuff.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

Ambaire posted:

I put about an hour and a half into fortresscraft evolved before I uninstalled it, and it was complete unadulterated grindy bullshit with incomprehensible controls that made no sense at all. I don't understand its positive review score at all, and I say that as someone who's put thousands of hours into modded minecraft and almost 200 hours into Factorio, most of which is with bob's mods and dytech and other stuff.
How long ago was this? You should give it another try, these days you can scale a single game from 20-30 hours to multiple hundreds. That said quite a few people start the game and think they will do everything by hand, manually carrying around the ore and smelting it. That is absolutely not how you play the game, it's all about automating and scaling your production.

I found it has a short vertical climb for learning that a 15 minute youtube video nicely solved. I haven't tried the latest tutorials, but the game has been under constant improvement, with the last month being mostly about the tutorial.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Gendal posted:

How long ago was this? You should give it another try, these days you can scale a single game from 20-30 hours to multiple hundreds. That said quite a few people start the game and think they will do everything by hand, manually carrying around the ore and smelting it. That is absolutely not how you play the game, it's all about automating and scaling your production.

I found it has a short vertical climb for learning that a 15 minute youtube video nicely solved. I haven't tried the latest tutorials, but the game has been under constant improvement, with the last month being mostly about the tutorial.

I was mostly in Ambaire's camp, but I might give it another shot. It's kind of aggressively ugly in a way that Minecraft isn't though, which doesn't help.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

I was mostly in Ambaire's camp, but I might give it another shot. It's kind of aggressively ugly in a way that Minecraft isn't though, which doesn't help.
I really like the look, especially after he added ambient occlusion but I am a sucker for that style. He also added different biomes recently to further bring it up.

Unless you mean garish, in which case I have to give that.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Gendal posted:

I really like the look, especially after he added ambient occlusion but I am a sucker for that style. He also added different biomes recently to further bring it up.

Unless you mean garish, in which case I have to give that.

I haven't played in like a year, so I'm reinstalling it and will give it another shot and see if I still find it eye-bleach.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

I haven't played in like a year, so I'm reinstalling it and will give it another shot and see if I still find it eye-bleach.

Update: It's awful. One reason MC looks decent is that it's so low-res that it not only becomes it's own aethetic (and ties into the blockiness of everything) but it also , but all the textures on FCE feel way too stretched out and clash with the landscape.

The controls are opaque as hell. You have four different tools you need to use. Of course the keyboard shortcuts for these are all over the place, not next to each other. Oh and M is ore scanner. Why? Nobody knows. Build gun is X. Again, no correlation between location or common use.

The core gameplay seems to be mostly up my alley, except that it's a combination of 'your base looks like a technicolor rave vomit bag' and 'everything else is basically bland as hell and WAY overshadowed by the shininess of your base and overlays'.

There's lots of games that people find fun and if this is your niche, cool, but holy poo poo it has some incredibly basic flaws that make it absolutely impossible to get into without a hell of a lot more concerted effort than I'm willing to put into it. I like Factorio and modded MC, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007
I like the look but as I said, I totally understand the complaints about it being garish.

I found it much, much less obtuse than modded minecraft. I mean AE2 & Thaumcraft are in a different league in terms of wiki dependency. At least with Evolved it's internally consistent so once you get over that initial hump it's less wiki dependent. I did have issues trying to go from Minecraft to this, it's different enough that you will fight it a bit until you get over the differences. After a short period I preferred Evolved's differences, but it can be jarring at first. A big hint at first - no range limiter on placing items.

I just think if you can get into modded minecraft and liked Factorio then this should be right up your alley, plus It has a poo poo ton of content so it well rewards the effort. SA has however been historically wildly negative about this game and I just thought it was unwarranted, perhaps because of historical reasons. I didn't check it out for the longest time because it was so reviled here.