Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I read pages of chat about the movies and nobody mentioned my personal problem with the movies, having the Pelennor be a flat featureless grassy plain.

I mean also no Imrahil, no scouring of the Shire, and ghosts fixing everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Or no Saruman rotting before their eyes after he gets shanked by Wormtongue.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Saruman's death scene in the extended cut is pretty good, especially with Treebeard's janky line coming right after it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I read pages of chat about the movies and nobody mentioned my personal problem with the movies, having the Pelennor be a flat featureless grassy plain.

:same:

Refer back to that Ted Nasmith view of Minas Tirith I posted earlier—I can really get down with the idea of everything outside the walls being a rocky, tree-dotted region, basically foothills. It's a very realistic idea of how that type of land right next to the mountains would look. But failing that, the city is supposed to be a population center surrounded by farmlands and villages that grow all the food—I mean come on Jackson, not one tilth or oast or garner, no byres or folds, no ricks, cots, or even trees?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SHISHKABOB posted:

Saruman's death scene in the extended cut is pretty good, especially with Treebeard's janky line coming right after it.

It's garbage and Christopher Lee hated it.

Legolas murders Grima.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

Legolas murders Grima.

I like where he falls on the spike and the wheel carries him into the water, and then they just forget his corpse is there.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Data Graham posted:

:same:

Refer back to that Ted Nasmith view of Minas Tirith I posted earlier—I can really get down with the idea of everything outside the walls being a rocky, tree-dotted region, basically foothills. It's a very realistic idea of how that type of land right next to the mountains would look. But failing that, the city is supposed to be a population center surrounded by farmlands and villages that grow all the food—I mean come on Jackson, not one tilth or oast or garner, no byres or folds, no ricks, cots, or even trees?

The point was to clearly see the armies .

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

euphronius posted:

But the wolds, man! I must see the wolds!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ravenfood posted:

But the wolds, man! I must see the wolds!

I wanted more to see the oasts actually.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

sassassin posted:

Legolas murders Grima.

I thought he hated the fact that it wasn't included in the theatrical release?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
For the most part, I actually genuinely like the LotR movies, and I especially appreciate how, combined with Harry Potter, they really removed a lot of the stigma of childishness and immaturity from fantasy.

Twenty years ago, if you knew what an orc was, you were a goddamn nerd who was just asking to get wedgied. Now, if you don't know what an orc is, you live under a rock. We have to thank Steve Jackson for that.

Edit I even understand giving most of Glorfindel's importance to Arwen and shoving a romance plot into the films. It's not a sin to want there to be more than one named female character in the film who actually does something important, and considering that Aragorn and Arwen do end up together, it's kind of understandable to want it to be more than something completely out of left field.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 2, 2017

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Who's Steve Jackson and what did he do for orcs' rights?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

euphronius posted:

Aren't the armies burning everything in the book? That could have been really striking too, not seeing the armies themselves but being able to tell their movement from the fires. And then you'd have the contrast between Gandalf's arrival to the city and the devastation after the battle.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

sassassin posted:

He also explained to Christopher Lee just what a person who's had their throat slit with a knife sounds like.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kassad posted:

Aren't the armies burning everything in the book? That could have been really striking too, not seeing the armies themselves but being able to tell their movement from the fires. And then you'd have the contrast between Gandalf's arrival to the city and the devastation after the battle.

That's fine but now that is a different movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

But were the movies trying to represent the books, or just be their own things that simply used elements taken from the books?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

But were the movies trying to represent the books, or just be their own things that simply used elements taken from the books?

The later. They are an adaption .

Books make terrible movies. People can't read that fast. They'd be in the theater for what 20+ hours?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

my dad posted:

He also explained to Christopher Lee just what a person who's had their throat slit with a knife sounds like.

Christopher Lee was the one doing the explaining because he was a badass who shanked Nazis during the war.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

u brexit ukip it posted:

Christopher Lee was the one doing the explaining because he was a badass who shanked Nazis during the war.

That's what Christopher Lee did as a reaction to that, yes. :v:

I meant it in an "waiter telling a chef how to cook" sort of thing.

e: But to stop pretending, though, that was a derp on my part, I meant to write Steve Jackson and have no idea how the gently caress I managed to write Christopher Lee instead.

e2: vvvv Goddamnit :cripes: Stop owning yourself, me

my dad fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 2, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm assuming you mean Peter Jackson the director, and not Steve Jackson the tabletop game creator.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Peter Jackson you guys, wtf

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
George jets on

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Octy posted:

Who's Steve Jackson and what did he do for orcs' rights?

I know that one was Livingstone. Sshh.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

In your defense, I said Steve Jackson first. :cripes:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

There's only one Jackson important to the movies.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I got back into the Decipher LotR TCG. I'm still bad and it's still fun anyways.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit I even understand giving most of Glorfindel's importance to Arwen and shoving a romance plot into the films. It's not a sin to want there to be more than one named female character in the film who actually does something important, and considering that Aragorn and Arwen do end up together, it's kind of understandable to want it to be more than something completely out of left field.

The film doesn't actually give any of Glorfindel's importance to Arwen.

While the characters appear at the same time in the narrative, Glorfindel's role is largely expositional, warning of dangers, and providing (stupid) suggestions during council. He is also a symbol of the brilliant (and now impotent) past. He is one of the Mighty Firstborn, powerful and "Wise", and therefore of absolutely no use in the quest to save the world.

Arwen instead takes the pieces for her movie role from Aragorn, a horse, Elrond & Gandalf, and most annoyingly Frodo, whose important moment of defiance (quickly overwhelmed) at the ford is lost in favour of an awful line that would have made all but the hackiest hacks cringe (Phillipa Boyens naturally loves it).

She then reverts to book Arwen for the rest of the trilogy.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

sassassin posted:

She then reverts to book Arwen for the rest of the trilogy.
Movie-Arwen also gets to fall swoonily ill as the POWER of DARKNESS covers Middle-Earth, and nag her dad into reforging Narsil so he can turn up with it and dump a ton of emo poo poo on Aragorn in whichever of the movies it was - TT I guess?

But that's all just in case the audience forgot Aragorn was a girlfriend-haver.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The movies were fun, and literally any character development for Arwen is better than none.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

VanSandman posted:

The movies were fun, and literally any character development for Arwen is better than none.

Why? Character development that runs counter to that character's purpose in the story isn't a good thing. It makes the narrative weaker.

Had she appeared at Helm's Deep in the finished film the changes to Fellowship would have worked a lot better, but that would take a fat elven dump all over Eowyn's arc.

Elves aren't progressive, and certainly shouldn't be emulated.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Actually, Elves are Cool.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Elves are cool, but also they are bad.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Counterpoint: elves are cool BECAUSE elves are bad.

They taunt travelers, defy gods, pick fights with the devil, swear unthinkable murder oaths, chop off each others' hands, kidnap and murder their relatives, close their borders and imprison refugees, show up to battles ready to loot the survivors, throw huge revolutions and then abandon their comrades, and latch themselves onto any angels that happen to be around and in a horny/friendly sorta mood. They are awful people and it's not for nothing that their lost ancestors made good orcs. This is why I like them. Gentle magical singers who spend all day pacing through the trees are BORING.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

My rule of thumb is: it's not racist if they're an elf.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Fellowship is on TV and it's really, really bad who knew?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

sassassin posted:

Fellowship is on TV and it's really, really bad who knew?
I'm curious what does and doesn't work about it for you? Aside from your hateboner for Arwen, I mean.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm curious what does and doesn't work about it for you? Aside from your hateboner for Arwen, I mean.

What if he really really really enjoys the prancing of Tom Bombadil?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

PMush Perfect posted:

There's literally no subtlety to it, so outside the action scenes characters are constantly saying and doing stupid things. Most of the scenes are borderline farce with a serious soundtrack.

Gandalf causes an avalanche by yelling his rival's name and then asks Frodo if the party should go down the scary mines that Frodo knows nothing about. It hits plot points and landmarks with a hammer, and changes so many scenes in the details that it feels like they only had access to a cliff notes version of the book (the dwarf would be the one who wants to go to the mines, right? That sounds right)

For the time it was made that was probably the best they could do, because taking fantasy seriously was in itself a huge step, and PJ's straightforward commitment to bombast and spectacle led to new standards being set for cgi, costuming & set design etc.

But The Two Towers (Extended) is the only good one, because it includes actual character work (Boromir & Faramir & Dad, Eowyn, Gollum... kinda, I hate his cartoonish overacting tbh, but there's an actual fleshed out character there), and a proper massive action setpiece worthy of PJ's approach.

What's this, a ranger caught off his guard?
I do not fear them
*branch cuts her cheek but she doesn't flinch*
If you want him, come and claim him!
Daddy please I want to marry him! I hate you! I'll run away!

sassassin fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 4, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

What if he really really really enjoys the prancing of Tom Bombadil?

I skip those chapters.

Tom is evil and no good can come from listening to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

sassassin posted:

Tom is evil and no good can come from listening to him.

Hey! Come merry dol! derry dol! Sassassin!
poo poo goes the poster-wind and the thread goes gassin.
Down along under bridge, trolling far from sunlight,
Waiting in the Book Barn, hoggin all the spotlight,
There our fancy gooner is, at least he's not a swatter,
Slender as the cheeto-beast, fouling up the water.
But Tom Bombadil, poor thread ratings bringing
Comes hopping home again. Can you hear him singing?
Hey! Come merry dol! derry dol! and merry-o!
Goonberry, Goonberry, merry neckbeard berry-o!
Poor old Sassin-man, you tuck your lard away!
Tom's in a hurry now. Evening will follow day.
Tom's going home again better posts a-bringing.
Hey! Come goony boy! Can you hear me singing?