Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Subways Jared posted:

Right, I'm going to try to clear it up with my manager Monday first. I didn't get any explanation as to why I needed to change forms all the sudden out of the blue- after 8 months working here. I held off questioning them because I was in a real rush after work.

This will probably sound ignorant and go against all BFC conventional wisdom- but I can't afford the deductions that come from being filed under W-2 status right now. That would be a significant cut to my monthly income from what it is now.

It's possible that with your promotion there's no more wiggle room for them to pretend that you're an independent contractor and not an employee, so they don't want to risk penalties from state or federal auditors.

You're at least setting aside money for the taxes that you owe and the estimated taxes that you have to pay, right? You might have better temporary cash flow right now, but the additional 7.65% you have to pay in self employment taxes probably means you don't actually have more money now.

EDIT: And if you got fired as 1099, you can't collect unemployment unless you get the Department of Labor to rule that you were actually an employee and thus can benefit from unemployment insurance.

Ancillary Character fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Subways Jared posted:

This will probably sound ignorant and go against all BFC conventional wisdom- but I can't afford the deductions that come from being filed under W-2 status right now. That would be a significant cut to my monthly income from what it is now.

1099 employees are expected to manage their own retirement accounts as well as health, dental, and vision insurance, plus usually pay other self-employment taxes (oh poo poo you knew about this, right?).

Please read this carefully and again consider legal or tax advice from a lawyer or CPA: https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/...self-employed-1

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Ancillary Character posted:

It's possible that with your promotion there's no more wiggle room for them to pretend that you're an independent contractor and not an employee, so they don't want to risk penalties from state or federal auditors.

You're at least setting aside money for the taxes that you owe and the estimated taxes that you have to pay, right? You might have better temporary cash flow right now, but the additional 7.65% you have to pay in self employment taxes probably means you don't actually have more money now.

EDIT: And if you got fired as 1099, you can't collect unemployment unless you get the Department of Labor to rule that you were actually an employee and thus can benefit from unemployment insurance.

That's kind of what I was thinking, and I'm glad you think it's a possibility also. That would explain how things went down.

Yes, I've been setting aside the tax money in a sub-account at my bank. It's probably not going to be that much different after the 7.65%, so I may just file under W-2. I have much more job security with this company now, which I didn't have when I started. That was a big reason I chose 1099.

My big questions was whether it was plausible they withheld the promotion bonuses due to my filing status, and you answered that. Thanks.

baquerd posted:

1099 employees are expected to manage their own retirement accounts as well as health, dental, and vision insurance, plus usually pay other self-employment taxes (oh poo poo you knew about this, right?).

Please read this carefully and again consider legal or tax advice from a lawyer or CPA: https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/...self-employed-1

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I will definitely read the article because I could always be better informed about all this. Thanks.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Where I work, there is usually a one pay period delay on pay raises but the "missing" amount from the week of the raise shows up as a line item in the following paycheck (in addition to the new full amount). So if it is just one paycheck, don't start panicking yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

literally this big posted:

But Treasury Direct says that my $50 note, purchased 25 years ago, has earned over $56 dollars in interest, and is now worth over $81? So if they're already worth more than the number printed on them, how can I tell what the final value of the note will be, or what it will be at a future date?

Ugh ok, I have that backwards. The note says what it was purchased for.

Honestly, i think someone else posted it, if you go online you can submit each note to a treasury department and get a better quote. Thinking back, I had to make a spreadsheet to track it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Question. I started trying to build up my credit score from having no credit about 8 months ago. Since I had no credit, I went with a secured card. I set it up so that my phone bill automatically pulled from my credit card, and the credit card automatically pulled from my checking account. Then I just let it sit. This worked great, and now I have an 8 month record of using and paying off a credit card every month. The secured card automatically upped my limit from $300 to $500, but I think that's as far as it's going to go, so I'd like to get an unsecured card with a higher limit to give myself better limits, a better credit utilization score, and to build credit faster with multiple cards. My plan with this card is to do the same thing I'm doing now with my phone bill with my auto insurance, since that is another bill I haven't been late on for years. So all that being said, I have two questions.

I've been using creditwise from capital one to keep an eye on how my credit score is progressing. The thing is, it uses the vantage score 3.0, and I'd read that most lenders use the FICO. I have a 705 according to creditwise, which puts me solidly in the "good" range, but I have no idea how that might translate to a FICO. Should I dig up my FICO score to see for sure that I'm above 690 before I apply for a card that is eligible for people with a good rating according to nerdwallet, or just give it a go? If I need to see my FICO, what website should I use to keep track of it?

As far as which cards I should be looking at, anyone have any recommendations for at least a direction I should be looking in? This is a lot more complicated than shopping for a secured card. I don't plan on using this one as anything other than a middle man for my auto insurance, so I'm not sure what sorts of rewards and such would be best suited for me. I plan on buying a new vehicle here in the next month or two, and using my tax return and some extra change for a down payment, so I'm thinking one of those cards that gives you a bunch of perks for spending a bunch of money on the card right away would be good. I could pay for the down payment with the card, let the balance show up on a credit statement, and then turn around and pay the whole thing off in full. Also, I'm a full time student.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Hey everybody. I've got a question about ~bonds~. I have no idea how they work, except you pay half of their value up front, and the bonds keep getting bigger until they don't anymore. I need to buy something soon that won't be cheap, and I've been looking at these bonds as a way of not completely blowing my savings all at once (This is, of course, to avoid loans). Most of the bonds I was given fully mature in 2024/25, and most of them are already worth more than their "face value". Anyways, I would like to figure out which ones are the most worth keeping and which ones will have the least value added when they fully mature. Is there a projection software I can look at? My savings and bonds software won't project their values beyond May of this year.

I have an idea of what I'd like to know, but please inform me if this isn't the information I should be going for. What I'd like to do is take the current value and subtract it from their final value, when they've finally "matured(?)" and subtract the two, so I know which ones will have the most value added from now until the final date, correct? And, of course, the ones with the least improvement ought to be the bonds I consider spending, right?

Any advice is appreciated.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Dumb question - I don't have any credit accounts open right now, and my credit score is low due to me loving up a few years ago - 620. For the past 4 years I've been paying everything on debit - all my poo poo has been on time, but there's literally just that one closed account from years ago on my credit report.

I want to get my poo poo together so I can get approved for a non exorbitant car loan in a year or so when it seems like my 15 year old car might bite the dust. Looking at some stuff online, it seems that it may be a good idea to open a secured credit card, charge 10 percent of it every month and pay it off in full every month - I was thinking I could get a $500 secured card, throw my gym membership and Spotify subscription on it which ends up at $50, and then just pay that off in full every month. As I understand it after six months this should boost my score.

A) Is this a good idea or am I dumb

B) I've been looking at various sites, such as beverlyharzog.com, where she has a list of secured cards. Some of them she lists as reporting to the credit bureaus as unsecured rather than secured - would an unsecured reporting help my credit go up faster? What's the difference?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Step 1: what kind of bonds are they?

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

slap me silly posted:

Step 1: what kind of bonds are they?

They are all Series EE

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ok, that limits the universe a lot so that's helpful. You still want to know for each of them was it issued before or after 2005? And is it paper or electronic? Because there are those different types of EE bonds.

I'm only really familiar with post-2005 electronic ones. For those, it's probably best to keep them at least 20 years, because at that point you are guaranteed they will be worth double what you paid for them (equivalent to ~3.5% interest, which is quite good for a such a low risk investment). Sell them earlier, you have to take whatever you get which is likely to be less.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

slap me silly posted:

Ok, that limits the universe a lot so that's helpful. You still want to know for each of them was it issued before or after 2005? And is it paper or electronic? Because there are those different types of EE bonds.

I'm only really familiar with post-2005 electronic ones. For those, it's probably best to keep them at least 20 years, because at that point you are guaranteed they will be worth double what you paid for them (equivalent to ~3.5% interest, which is quite good for a such a low risk investment). Sell them earlier, you have to take whatever you get which is likely to be less.

They were issued in the mid 90's, grandparents and other relatives giving them as gifts when I was a kid. I just looked, and they were issued between 08/94 and 09/97; the only other information I have are the serial numbers, which I don't think I'll post here. If they are physical, it's likely my parents have got them in one of their filing cabinets somewhere or some kind of safety deposit box. I'd have to ask them, but I assume pre-internet era bonds would be physical, right? I don't even think ATMs were networked yet, but I could be wrong.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

They were issued in the mid 90's, grandparents and other relatives giving them as gifts when I was a kid. I just looked, and they were issued between 08/94 and 09/97; the only other information I have are the serial numbers, which I don't think I'll post here. If they are physical, it's likely my parents have got them in one of their filing cabinets somewhere or some kind of safety deposit box. I'd have to ask them, but I assume pre-internet era bonds would be physical, right? I don't even think ATMs were networked yet, but I could be wrong.

You have to get the physical bonds (you are correct, they would be physical), go online to the treasury and plug in each number to get your value. I'd recommend making a spreadsheet. I think someone posted the page you plug in the numbers to a page or two ago on this thread.

Bear in mind you will pay the tax on the interest earned when you cash them out on your 2017 tax return, so def budget for that.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I already have their current value. It's in a program on my computer. The problem is that I don't need to spend them all, and I want to know which ones will be the best to cash in, given their different interest rates and ages. The program I'm using can only project their value out to may of this year. They fully mature by 2024-2027. I was wondering what information I'd need to figure out which ones to cash out, and which ones to save without actually throwing out their serial numbers on the internet.

So, to summarize: bonds were issued between 09/94 and 08/97, they are Series EE and physical, stored in a safety deposit box a long time ago. They each have different interest rates, from 4% to 1.3%. There is also a value called "yield" on my software, but I don't actually know what that means. It's somewhere around 3-4% on all of them. I already know I'm going to have to pay taxes on it (Even though we bought it from the government?)

Thanks for the help so far, guys.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
I need some help with additional withholding to put on my W4. Last year I had a full year of making better money and even with my wife and I at 0 allowances we owed the feds $~2,200 (after standard deduction + student loan interest). We both hold essentially the same jobs this year with my wife getting a few grand a year raise, and now the W4 manual calculator on the back of the W4 says I need to add an additional $5,050 in withholding over the rest of the year and the IRS website says (numbers rounded):

IRS posted:

Based on your responses, your anticipated income tax for 2017 is ~$19,000. If you do not change your current withholding arrangement, you will have ~$13,900 withheld for 2017 leaving ~$5,200 due when you file your return. To meet your anticipated tax of $19,000 change your current withholding arrangement by claiming 0 allowances plus an additional amount of $2,400 for the balance of 2017. Here’s how:
You and your spouse should each enter 0 on line 5 of all of your Forms W-4.
Have $2,400 withheld over the balance of this year. You may split this amount between your jobs any way you choose, entering on Line 6 of each Form W-4 the additional amount to withhold per paycheck for that job. If you want to spread the additional withholding in proportion to what would otherwise be withheld, then enter the following amounts for the job shown:

We already are both at 0 exemptions, so I guess since both worksheets are saying ~5K we need to do that? I don't get why it tells me to switch to 0 allowances then only have ~$2400 additional witholding. However, that value would better match what we ended up owing this year and our salary is only increasing by a few grand so that makes sense to me...

So, I'm confused on what withholding to do. Do I do the $2400 or the $5200 since I'm already at 0 allowances?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Hawkeye posted:

We already are both at 0 exemptions, so I guess since both worksheets are saying ~5K we need to do that? I don't get why it tells me to switch to 0 allowances then only have ~$2400 additional witholding. However, that value would better match what we ended up owing this year and our salary is only increasing by a few grand so that makes sense to me...

So, I'm confused on what withholding to do. Do I do the $2400 or the $5200 since I'm already at 0 allowances?

Maybe the $2400 is assuming that both you and your wife each withhold that much extra?

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Droo posted:

Maybe the $2400 is assuming that both you and your wife each withhold that much extra?

Or it might want you to change from 0 exemptions at the married rate, to 0 exemptions, Married, but withhold at the higher Single Rate.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
It looks like the values may be suggesting switching to withhold at higher single rate, that may be it.

I also realized I didn't take into account pretax deductions like 401k/healthcare when listing our salaries, so fixing that made numbers line up slightly more with the modest salary increase this year and the rates we are taxed out now. Thanks for the thoughts Droo and Ancillary Character!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I already have their current value. It's in a program on my computer. The problem is that I don't need to spend them all, and I want to know which ones will be the best to cash in, given their different interest rates and ages. The program I'm using can only project their value out to may of this year. They fully mature by 2024-2027. I was wondering what information I'd need to figure out which ones to cash out, and which ones to save without actually throwing out their serial numbers on the internet.

So, to summarize: bonds were issued between 09/94 and 08/97, they are Series EE and physical, stored in a safety deposit box a long time ago. They each have different interest rates, from 4% to 1.3%. There is also a value called "yield" on my software, but I don't actually know what that means. It's somewhere around 3-4% on all of them. I already know I'm going to have to pay taxes on it (Even though we bought it from the government?)

Thanks for the help so far, guys.

I would cash out any at 1%, then I would go from oldest to newest until you have enough.

PoorUser
Oct 12, 2008
I went through some health problems last year and ended up getting a credit card I only owed like $330 on closed and sent to collection/chargeoff. I haven't paid anything on it.

The credit card was through Capital One. I opened a checking account at Capital One 360 today and was going to put some money in there. My question is: If I put money into the 360 checking account could they potentially take the money out of the checking account to satisfy the Capital One Credit Card debt?

I am not sure if its even the same institution, perhaps just owned by the same "Capital One" holding company. And the credit card is no longer active with them. It was closed by them/charged off and sent to collections.

PoorUser fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 11, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
X-post from the Goals thread because this thread may be better for this- my student loans are currently split across two accounts, one at ~$1500 with a 5.6% interest rate (subsidized), and one at ~$4k with a 6.8% rate (not subsidized). I'm paying more than the minimum each month and have the option to allocate the excess payment into these accounts in any ratio I define. Would it be better to concentrate on getting rid of the smaller loan ASAP or should I bring down the larger loan sooner due to its higher interest rate? My goal is to pay $3k into them this year ($250/mo vs. the $100 minimum I have to hit), which would be enough to get rid of the smaller of the two.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Today I had my annual performance review at work. In addition to my raise and being added to the cell phone reimbursement plan, my boss said he'd talk to the board about granting me "options" within the company. I assume this was stock options and I've done a little bit of research and think I have an idea about how options work at the beginning, but not how they work at the end.

So my understanding is I'm granted the ability to purchase XXX stocks at YYY price after I become vested (1 year-ish?) after that I can sell whatever percent they set after the time frame. So I'm pretty clear about the first half, say they say I can buy 100 shares at .25 a piece, I pay 25 bucks and have 100 stocks. After 1 year, I can sell these for what they are currently at. But we're a private company still and that's where I kind of lose it.

I guess does anyone have a "stock options for dummies" I can read?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PoorUser posted:

I went through some health problems last year and ended up getting a credit card I only owed like $330 on closed and sent to collection/chargeoff. I haven't paid anything on it.

The credit card was through Capital One. I opened a checking account at Capital One 360 today and was going to put some money in there. My question is: If I put money into the 360 checking account could they potentially take the money out of the checking account to satisfy the Capital One Credit Card debt?

I am not sure if its even the same institution, perhaps just owned by the same "Capital One" holding company. And the credit card is no longer active with them. It was closed by them/charged off and sent to collections.

I don't think they can. I've have a 360 account since the ING days and when I got a new Capital One CC I couldn't even use the same login info.

Either way, if the debt was sent to collections then they sold it off and don't own the debt anymore and they can't legally collect it from you.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

C-Euro posted:

X-post from the Goals thread because this thread may be better for this- my student loans are currently split across two accounts, one at ~$1500 with a 5.6% interest rate (subsidized), and one at ~$4k with a 6.8% rate (not subsidized). I'm paying more than the minimum each month and have the option to allocate the excess payment into these accounts in any ratio I define. Would it be better to concentrate on getting rid of the smaller loan ASAP or should I bring down the larger loan sooner due to its higher interest rate? My goal is to pay $3k into them this year ($250/mo vs. the $100 minimum I have to hit), which would be enough to get rid of the smaller of the two.

Mathematically speaking, you save more money on interest by paying off the unsubsidized loan first.

Psychologically, paying off the smaller loan will feel great, plus it frees up a little bit of cash flow a little sooner.

Neither choice is bad. Personally, I would pay off the smaller loan first, but I believe most of BFC would recommend paying off the higher interest loan.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

drive me nuts to school posted:

Mathematically speaking, you save more money on interest by paying off the unsubsidized loan first.

Psychologically, paying off the smaller loan will feel great, plus it frees up a little bit of cash flow a little sooner.

Neither choice is bad. Personally, I would pay off the smaller loan first, but I believe most of BFC would recommend paying off the higher interest loan.

Unless the higher rate loan is SUBSTANTIALLY higher, I happen to agree with the idea of paying off the smaller loan first.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
If loans scare you, pay off the smaller one. If you can do math, pay off the one with the higher interest rate.

themaninblack
Aug 14, 2007
So a baby seal walks into a club...
Can someone walk me through the logistics of switching bank accounts? I am with WF and I don't want to continue to support their shady business practices. I am thinking of moving to Chase to get the $300 reward, but would welcome any other suggestions since they aren't exactly virtuous either.

Here's my hangups:
  • I have a line of credit, credit card, and home improvement line through them. The home improvement line was just to get 0% on a new AC unit, it will be paid off this year. The credit card was my first ever credit card at 18 or something. The line of credit I was talked into doing at like 21 for absolutely no reason, and my own ignorance led me to believe it was a good idea (totally my fault). I have never used it, but I have continued to pay the annual fee on it in the fear of one day needing it and a perhaps misguided attempt to maintain my credit score. I am anticipating them shutting down my credit card, and I would cancel my line of credit, were I to do this; I would obviously keep paying the home improvement line. How nasty of a hit is this going to be to my credit score (two of my oldest lines of credit, combined about $15,000)? I know, not a video game, but I may end up going for a loan in about a year, and I'm not sure I'll go through with moving accounts if I have to take a big hit in the process.
  • How do you time things so you don't overdraft on paying bills and such? I am getting about $2,000 in a tax refund, which I was going to use to pay off my car loan, but now I'm thinking maybe I should leave it in the WF account, change my direct deposit to Chase, and start moving automatic payments to Chase. I guess I have anxiety about screwing something up in the process and ending up in a hole.
  • Is there anything that I need to consider that is commonly missed?
I guess I know the way it is supposed to work, might just be overthinking.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

themaninblack posted:

The more cash buffer you have, the easier it is. Here's what I did when I switched from Wells Fargo last August:
  • Set up direct deposits to go to my new bank (USAA)
  • Move most money from WF to USAA via electronic transfer, leaving enough at WF to cover a month or so of expenses: bills that might already be in process, bills I forgot to switch, and to meet any minimum balance requirements so as not to get hit with any bank fees.
  • Once the majority of money transferred to USAA, set up direct payments and autopayments of bills to come from USAA. By leaving a buffer at WF and waiting to move payments to draw from USAA until money transferred, I avoided overdrawing or bouncing anything.
  • Wait a month or so to confirm that all of your autopayments and direct deposits are going in and out of the new account. One you're content that there's no more activity on WF, go into a branch and close the account. They'll issue a cashier's check for the remaining funds (the buffer you left) on-site. I avoided transferring the remaining balance out myself because, again, I didn't want to get hit with minimum balance fees in the process of closing out the account.
A month or two wait is usually fine to catch any stragglers that you might have forgotten to switch, but take some time to think if you have any expenses that might be paid more infrequently that you might forget about : insurance premiums that are paid biannually, utilities that are paid quarterly, etc.

edit: yep I asked a similar question and then followed up last August:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

For anyone curious (doubtful) this worked out nicely. I went into Wells Fargo, they issued a cashier's check for the remaining funds (waived the fee) and closed out the account. The banker said the process I followed was probably the best way to do it, since as I feared transferring everything out before closing the account might have triggered fees which he said they would have then tried to reverse.

It was a surprisingly positive experience overall and I can only imagine they're coached not to burn any bridges in the hopes that maybe you'll consider them again for other banking needs. He only pitched me once on leaving an account open with them in order to have access to better auto or home loans, but I don't need those any time soon and I'd shop around anyway.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 13, 2017

themaninblack
Aug 14, 2007

The more cash buffer you have, the easier it is. Here's what I did when I switched from Wells Fargo last August:
  • Set up direct deposits to go to my new bank (USAA)
  • Move most money from WF to USAA via electronic transfer, leaving enough at WF to cover a month or so of expenses: bills that might already be in process, bills I forgot to switch, and to meet any minimum balance requirements so as not to get hit with any bank fees.
  • Once the majority of money transferred to USAA, set up direct payments and autopayments of bills to come from USAA. By leaving a buffer at WF, and waiting to move payments to draw from USAA until money transferred, I avoided overdrawing or bouncing anything.
  • Wait a month or so to confirm that all of your autopayments and direct deposits are going in and out of the new account. One you're content that there's no more activity on WF, go into the branch and close the account. They'll issue a cashier's check for the remaining funds (the buffer you left) on-site. I avoided transferring the remaining balance out myself because, again, I didn't want to get hit with minimum balance fees in the process of closing out the account.
A month or two wait is usually fine to catch any stragglers that you might have forgotten to switch, but take some time to think if you have any expenses that might be paid more infrequently that you might forget about : insurance premiums that are paid biannually, utilities that are paid quarterly, etc.

edit: yep I asked a similar question and then followed up last August:

I knew I had read a similar post that got me thinking this way, and it was yours. Appreciate the help.

I am going through different items, but I ran a credit score simulator where the line of credit and credit card get cancelled and I lost 30 points. Is that accurate? That's a pretty heft hit imo.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

themaninblack posted:

I knew I had read a similar post that got me thinking this way, and it was yours. Appreciate the help.
No problem. With respect to the credit stuff: I'd close the line of credit and not worry too much about the credit score impact. With respect to:

themaninblack posted:

I am anticipating them shutting down my credit card
I don't think a discussion of my WF credit card ever came up. If it did, I just reinforced that I was only closing the checking and savings accounts. Like you, it was my first credit card and I left it open for credit score reasons: it's a nice outlier on age of account to offset a bit of churning, and with a limit of $30,000 it's a decent mitigator on my utilization ratio.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 13, 2017

themaninblack
Aug 14, 2007

No problem. With respect to the credit stuff: I'd close the line of credit and not worry too much about the credit score impact. With respect to:

I don't think a discussion of my WF credit card ever came up. If it did, I just reinforced that I was only closing the checking and savings accounts. Like you, it was my first credit card and I left it open for credit score reasons: it's a nice outlier on age of account to offset a bit of churning, and with a limit of $30,000 it's a decent mitigator on my utilization ratio.

Did you just keep a small monthly thing going to your WF CC to keep it open?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

themaninblack posted:

Yeah I set it to pay for Netflix and leave the card itself on autopay. The physical card is locked away at home, probably never to be used again.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

themaninblack posted:

Can someone walk me through the logistics of switching bank accounts? I am with WF and I don't want to continue to support their shady business practices. I am thinking of moving to Chase to get the $300 reward, but would welcome any other suggestions since they aren't exactly virtuous either.

Here's my hangups:
  • I have a line of credit, credit card, and home improvement line through them. The home improvement line was just to get 0% on a new AC unit, it will be paid off this year. The credit card was my first ever credit card at 18 or something. The line of credit I was talked into doing at like 21 for absolutely no reason, and my own ignorance led me to believe it was a good idea (totally my fault). I have never used it, but I have continued to pay the annual fee on it in the fear of one day needing it and a perhaps misguided attempt to maintain my credit score. I am anticipating them shutting down my credit card, and I would cancel my line of credit, were I to do this; I would obviously keep paying the home improvement line. How nasty of a hit is this going to be to my credit score (two of my oldest lines of credit, combined about $15,000)? I know, not a video game, but I may end up going for a loan in about a year, and I'm not sure I'll go through with moving accounts if I have to take a big hit in the process.
  • How do you time things so you don't overdraft on paying bills and such? I am getting about $2,000 in a tax refund, which I was going to use to pay off my car loan, but now I'm thinking maybe I should leave it in the WF account, change my direct deposit to Chase, and start moving automatic payments to Chase. I guess I have anxiety about screwing something up in the process and ending up in a hole.
  • Is there anything that I need to consider that is commonly missed?

I'm going through the same process, but I ended up deciding on Alliant credit union. Their loan rates are really good, it's easy to qualify for an account, and everyone has good things to say about them. If you're trying to get away from banks it's the way to go.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
We're in the process of doing this (also from Wells Fargo) and are moving to a credit union. Tracking your expenses meticulously (i.e. with YNAB or Financier) helps you catch a lot of stuff more quickly, and we got everything switched over pretty efficiently. They love to try to get some fees out of you once you stop using the account, but even if you get an account charge usually reaching a human by phone or in person will remove the charge pretty readily.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

themaninblack posted:

My WF is my first card, from 2002. I think I have made less than 10 charges on it in the last 10 years, and zero charges in the last 3 years. They've never sent me anything about low activity.

I moved from WF to Alliant two years ago. I left my checking and savings opened at WF so that I had a physical bank in case I needed immediate access to my money. I left $1500 in each to avoid fees and an additional $5 that auto-transfers back and forth every month to keep activity on those accounts (suggested by WF years ago when I had primarily moved to Chase).

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I started working for an organization that offers a partial IRA match for part-time employees, but it's only through loving Edward Jones. My plan is to contribute up to the match and make it VERY clear to the advisor that the money getting put in is not to be used for any purpose except sitting there until I leave the organization, at which point I would transfer it to Vanguard. Would this be a viable/possible plan? With the annual and transfer fee, I've figured as long as I'm there 2 years, even if I only qualify for the minimum amount ($5k in past calendar year, 3% match so $150 as bare minimum matched amount) I can walk out of this with a decent amount of free money.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
TL;DR: What to do with ~$130,000 that I don't need to touch for ~3 years but will need around that time? Buying a house is appealing but I might not break even.

Backstory:
I've got $137,000 in a bank account collecting approx. gently caress all in interest. I was planning to use on a down payment for a house but I moved to an area where a very nice house costs $250,000. I will likely move an hour or more away from where I am now within in the next 3 years don't break even on rent/buy decision unless the house appreciates pretty well in that time and was cheap enough to be low risk of not appreciating. (I am capable of fixing the house up myself, should a house be the best option.)

I also considered my 401k but I currently contribute ~$8k/yr to that and I'm 27 so the projections suggest I will be okay retirement wise plus I'd like to use it for a down payment in the future.

I'd like something low maintenance.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

If you're planning on spending all of it in the next five years, keep it in a bank account appreciating gently caress-all. $130k is a pretty hefty downpayment -- you'd clear 20% on a 560k house.

Alternatively, break that $130k into several piles:
•how much you need right now to feel safe
•how much you'll definitely use within the next 5 years
•how much you stash away waiting for a good time

For that last pile, I suggest either...
•dropping all of it into a vanguard brokerage account and putting it into a "lifestrategy" fund that matches your risk tolerance.
•drawing income from it and increasing your 401k contributions.

Finally, have you maxed your IRA yet?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stuntman posted:

I started working for an organization that offers a partial IRA match for part-time employees, but it's only through loving Edward Jones. My plan is to contribute up to the match and make it VERY clear to the advisor that the money getting put in is not to be used for any purpose except sitting there until I leave the organization, at which point I would transfer it to Vanguard. Would this be a viable/possible plan? With the annual and transfer fee, I've figured as long as I'm there 2 years, even if I only qualify for the minimum amount ($5k in past calendar year, 3% match so $150 as bare minimum matched amount) I can walk out of this with a decent amount of free money.

You mean a 401k match? But yeah, even Edward Jones shouldn't be able to gently caress up some stable value type fund. What are your ticker options? I somewhat refuse to believe you can only go through the advisor, and I would get everything in writing if you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

omnibobb posted:

Today I had my annual performance review at work. In addition to my raise and being added to the cell phone reimbursement plan, my boss said he'd talk to the board about granting me "options" within the company. I assume this was stock options and I've done a little bit of research and think I have an idea about how options work at the beginning, but not how they work at the end.

So my understanding is I'm granted the ability to purchase XXX stocks at YYY price after I become vested (1 year-ish?) after that I can sell whatever percent they set after the time frame. So I'm pretty clear about the first half, say they say I can buy 100 shares at .25 a piece, I pay 25 bucks and have 100 stocks. After 1 year, I can sell these for what they are currently at. But we're a private company still and that's where I kind of lose it.

I guess does anyone have a "stock options for dummies" I can read?

Read the Wikipedia pages on Option (finance) and Employee Stock Options. I don't think there is anything to help understand private company stock as its unique based on the contract. In general, your options to sell are very limited until the company goes public.