Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Doggo was not amused I made her get up for a picture. Catte is being a reclusive rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

You told a dad joke, didn't you

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Ok, I now think I understand the poo poo women go through with cars:
My mother calls a tire stire to enquire about pilot super sports for an rx-8. They say "we can't get tgose but we have some primaxy mxm4s."

Apples meet loving oranges.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I kind of want to know more about your mom, now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

nm posted:

Ok, I now think I understand the poo poo women go through with cars:
My mother calls a tire stire to enquire about pilot super sports for an rx-8. They say "we can't get tgose but we have some primaxy mxm4s."

Apples meet loving oranges.

Best phone autocorrect in a while... rhyming "tire stire to enquire" made me smile. That a tire store tries to take advantage of whomever interacts with them, sadly, doesn't surprise me.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Dog:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
3D printer was having issues this morning, thought I blew out a stepper driver, turns out I had a bad wire running to the X Axis.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I don't feel like typing it again on mobile, so I'm going to paste my anonymous confessions post:

I'm the worst person in the world at relationships, so not going to give you any advice, as some in the thread looked pretty good to me.

If you are desperate and need a place to crash for a short time, I'll offer up my couch, but your commute would be hellish from Buckeye.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Also dog:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Polish gramma dog

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

fridge corn posted:

I've put an offer in on a house

Yo congrats!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Looks like I get to write a check to the Feds for $660 this year but get a couple hundred back from the State (still need to enter all my medical to get that maximized). Not as bad as I was afraid of, but still hate sending more money than the already seemingly huge amount they take out of my pay. Oh well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
American taxes are loving weird.

Unless you're self-employed here, you basically get it all done automatically under pay-as-you-earn and a rebate or additional bill only happens if someone's hosed up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seminal Flu posted:

Best phone autocorrect in a while... rhyming "tire stire to enquire" made me smile. That a tire store tries to take advantage of whomever interacts with them, sadly, doesn't surprise me.

I dunno, every tire store I call with:
"I am looking for 245/45/17 (or whatever) Bridgestone autocross dick extenders" they are either "we have those in stock, they will be $LOL" or "we can get those in X weeks" or "they are completely sold out" (because it is right before solo2 nationals).
When she finally found some (they were needed ASAP), they still did the "you know these have no treadlife warranty" spehl.
I sort of assumed the whole call up with the exact size and tire you wanted (particularly if they were a decent summer tire) was the signal you knew what you wanted and kinda knew what you were talking about. I guess that only applies if you have a male voice.

I have an acquaintance who is an automotive tribologist (this is an actually thing, and apparently has to do with oil and friction or something -- I'm not that smart) and has, as far I as I can tell, worked for most of the big auto companies and can fix everything on even the most german of cars, and she complains about being constantly talked down to by car "guys" who don't know poo poo as well as part store people and the like, but this hit home for me. How do you go from Michelin's highest end tire to some boring rear end all season?

InitialDave posted:

Unless you're self-employed here, you basically get it all done automatically under pay-as-you-earn and a rebate or additional bill only happens if someone's hosed up.
That is how it is supposed to work except that we have a lot of tax exemptions that aren't taken account for and our automatic deduction calculations suck and aren't very refined. They also completely fail when switching jobs or you have a spouse who makes a very different income (either way higher or lower).
Also, if you have any investments, it is annoying. I have non-IRA investments, so I set myself to overpay $1000 or so every year and some years, I owe a bill (which means I made money, woohoo) and some years I get $1000 back and some years I break even.

That said, if you want to basically owe nothing (and not overpay) every quarter or so, put your info in here:
https://apps.irs.gov/app/withholdingcalculator/
It will tell you exactly how to adjust your W4 so that your withholdings are within $100 or so.

And then there are state taxes, but thankfully California makes it dirt simple.

nm fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 4, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My dog is out of camera reach because:

And I want to see what £72 of Ford focus gets you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Sounds like someone needs a longer lens.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

They say the best camera you own is the one you have on you when you need it. Can you get lenses for smart phones?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Far to simple to be allowed to happen that way here, we have an entire industry that leeches off of the ridiculous tax system and they'd go nuts if a simple system were ever proposed.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 5, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cakesmith handyman posted:

They say the best camera you own is the one you have on you when you need it. Can you get lenses for smart phones?

Yes. Motorola has a new camera line with all sorts of add ons and numerous third parties make lenses for iPhones.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I think they make some phones that can, but they suck as phones.

The Locator posted:

Far to simple to be allowed to happen that way here, we have an entire industry that leeches off of the ridiculous tax system and they'd go nuts if a simply system were ever proposed.
Yeah. It is why we can't have nice things.
In california, it is amazingly simple for state taxes. I literally plug in a few data points from my 1140 onto the state's online form and voila, taxes loving done. The feds could easily do this for anyone who only needs a to 1040-EZ or 1040a.
TBF, the tax industry also completely overplays how complex doing your taxes are so people will pay them money. 50% of america probably just needs a 1040EZ, which a trained monkey can fill out. People are told taxes are hard and complain about that, but I bet >50 of americans have never even tried to do them themselves.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

And I want to see what £72 of Ford focus gets you.
It isn't really as bad as you'd think.

Also has a properly bad rear wheel bearing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

nm posted:

TBF, the tax industry also completely overplays how complex doing your taxes are so people will pay them money. 50% of america probably just needs a 1040EZ, which a trained monkey can fill out. People are told taxes are hard and complain about that, but I bet >50 of americans have never even tried to do them themselves.

I use the tax software to do mine. I own a home and have some minor investment stuff and medical. To me it's worth the cost of the software to avoid the long amount of time it would take me to hand fill out all the required forms, as well as having the software double-check my work. This time the software noticed that I'd missed putting in my state code on one form, and I had missed putting in my real-estate taxes on another. That last one made a difference of over $200 in how much I owed.

I wish charities got a better credit so that more people would voluntarily give. It's kind of depressing punching in all the charitable contributions and then seeing what a small difference it makes on the actual taxes owed. Certainly still worth keeping track of, but just doesn't have the impact that it feels like it should (I do know how it works - i.e. adjusting your taxable income).

Tomorrow I'll start plugging in all the non-reimbursed medical expenses. I didn't have nearly enough to make a difference on the Federal return, since you have to hit 10% of your income there, but my State allows all un-reimbursed medical to be claimed without any minimum, so I might be able to eek out another hundred bucks back on the State for that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That's not rust (pictures edited out at random). Come to Ohio, you'll see rust there. Like rocker panels that are fully gone... not just PART or a CORNER gone, like fully non-existent from the front to the back.

Then again, that's in the US, where we're free... for the next couple weeks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seminal Flu posted:

That's not rust (pictures edited out at random). Come to Ohio, you'll see rust there. Like rocker panels that are fully gone... not just PART or a CORNER gone, like fully non-existent from the front to the back.

Then again, that's in the US, where we're free... for the next couple weeks.
Oh, it's not rust rust, but I have my doubts as to it being a mere 10 months' worth, and that's when it passed the last MOT. I don't actually care, though, it's not going back on the road.

It's certainly not the "oh sweet loving Jesus" the Disco was, which was without hyperbole at least as bad as what you're describing.

One of the problems is that modern stonechip on sills seems to be pretty tough, so they look fine as they rot internally, even though it's now just a rubbery skin with nothing behind it. That first photo was only a 1" hole when I started poking it.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Using H&R's program instead of their website saved me about 500 bucks. Went from owing 1800 to owing just over 1300.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I had a temp sensor that would occasionally give spurious results (my coolant probably wasn't -41'C) that gave me issues, so I tracked down a used replacement.

Fitted it and waited anxiously for it to trigger a temp sensitive event. Nothing happened for far too long and it appeared DOA so I decided to swap the old one back in.

I cut the zip tie that held the wire to it, to give me more room to unscrew it and it suddenly burst into life at the exact moment the snippers went 'snip!'

So, either a perfect timing coincidence, or I think I found my break

(a broken circuit to a temp sensor will fail low, right?)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

I don't actually care, though, it's not going back on the road.

Are you ripping parts out of it and scrapping the rest? Only ask because I've been trying to source the surround that goes around the HVAC controls and stereo with the clock (the US version didn't have it) and nobody on that side of the pond wants to ship one.

e: just realized that's probably RHD and that part isn't symmetrical :doh:

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 5, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geoj posted:

Are you ripping parts out of it and scrapping the rest? Only ask because I've been trying to source the surround that goes around the HVAC controls and stereo with the clock (the US version didn't have it) and nobody on that side of the pond wants to ship one.

e: just realized that's probably RHD and that part isn't symmetrical :doh:
Afraid so, it's canted over the "other" way.

Not my car, but looks like this:

But yes, if you (or other AI goons) want anything off it, let me know.

Edit: the clock display isn't working properly anyway.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 5, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Detailing / home care crossover:

Meguiars Quik Wax works fantastically well on cars. Literally a quick wax that can be applied even in direct sunlight that provides some protection and makes the surface extremely smooth.

It also works extremely well on granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. It's better than anything else I've found (even the $20 specialty sprays) and costs very little, especially when bought by the gallon.

:poolgirl:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've used leftover car wax to do my bathroom as well.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I just felt the muscle / tendon / skin that was binding on the titanium ankle suddenly decide to unbind and slip over the screws. Apart from regaining full flexibility, I feel like I want to puke, it was truly a sickening sensation. Might need to get it X-Rayed to find out WTF happened.

Oh and it loving stung.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, get that checked out. Shouldn't be any surfaces to "slip" over. Possible weird healing or loosening screw? IANAD

Okay, so clarification on the thing:
The only thing she pays for is 150 of the rent. I pay 400. I pay the internet, the second internet (mobile hotspot), cellphone, power bill, insurance (car and renter's), water/sewer/garbage, and most groceries. She refuses to get another client to move to full-time, as that would "take time away from caring for her first client," because that first client is a friend and she often works off-the-clock for her.

When I mentioned "no sex since february," I also made it extremely clear that wasn't the main, or even an, issue. I understand and understood that it was because she went on depression medication. Prozac sometimes kills your sex drive. I get it. Rather her be sane and frigid than insane and (even then, only occasionally) horny. If it would have helped her get counseling to start, maybe, cleaning, then I'd be okay. But she hasn't. This is the bedroom, as it stands. Take note: I do not sleep in this bedroom, and haven't for a few years now. I sleep downstairs, on a cot, because she wants me in the same bed as her, and I thought it would be a good goal for me to say "if you clean the bedroom, I'll sleep up there." We've cleaned it before, and I need to say, that this is BETTER than it had been for about six months. Brace yourselves:

The rest of the house is not so haphazard - she clearly doesn't care about the bedroom, whereas in the rest of the house it's stacked boxes. I occasionally clean things out, and spend maybe 2 hours filling five (or more) black trash bags with stuff, without her noticing. I go into boxes of saved magazines and newspapers, and clear out a year or something, and consolidate. That's sneaky, and wrong, but the house has gone from "boxes to the ceiling" to "boxes filling the corners of every room," and either she hasn't stepped back and noticed, or she has noticed but isn't bringing it up.

I'll admit, I can get p. messy too, sometimes. Here was the back patio after maybe a month or two of doing projects on the weekends, but not cleaning up afterwards.

The difference is, however, that I clean it up every few weeks. This was an hour later:

http://i.imgur.com/eGTjJ9bl.jpg

Other things. I had done a big radio project in the kitchen, and had left an orange home depot bucket in the corner there, right under the Keurig. Over the next week (I work 4x12s and kind of just wake up, go to work, come home and sleep), it sat there and I didn't clean it up. She filled it with K-cups (she'll drink maybe 4-8 a day), instead of walking them a few feet over to the kitchen trash. I emptied it, and we had a short discussion about how no, I wasn't putting a dedicated trash can for K-cups there, that was just the mop bucket I forgot to put away. Then, I put the bucket outside

I went out the next day to do some welding, and what do I see?

Sorry for blowing this load here. This is just one example, and I want to fix this. We were together for 2 years, I broke up and spent 18 months going from 320 lbs down to 200, and I joined the Army (because I'm a dumbass). Back after, in AIT (44 weeks), I invited her to Virigina to visit, because she had sent letters stating she wanted back together, and would be "always waiting for me." During that visit, we got engaged, and I felt like I had made a big mistake that day, but kept it inside. It's been five years since, and I've tried and tried and tried.

BTW: All of the advice I've read in this thread, even from Cage, has been good and has given me perspective. I don't really get to talk to people much, even at 30 in a job where I meet people every day (EMT). It feels good to just bounce thoughts out there, even in the Automotive Insanity General Chat thread, even if I get criticism back. This isn't a "hugbox," or whatever the kids are calling it nowadays.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
good god thats a proper loving mess. :stonk:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Oh god.

Those pictures remind me of that thread where the OP had their children taken away due to hoarding.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cripes. I'm a bit on the messy side, and have some boxes here and there (they've slowly been consolidated and moved into the closet), but nowhere near that bad.

That just inspired me to go clean my kitchen, clean out the fridge, and pick up the living room a bit.

spog posted:

(a broken circuit to a temp sensor will fail low, right?)

Most times, yes.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

:staredog: oh riight, that kind of OCD. My ex had the opposite kind where she would come into the kitchen and place mats underneath anything I set on the counter because ~invisible marks on the marble~. I'm also familiar with your kind due to a family member, and it's just as bad and usually worse.

Sorry man. I feel for you. Enjoy the immediate feeling of freedom and non-guilt (I certainly did), but be aware it all may come back and whack you a few months down the road (mine certainly did).

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, work threw a fun curveball tonight.

So for some backstory, he have one location that had a 50 Ton split system, that we've done about $2500 worth of repairs to in the last 3 months or so.
Last time I was out there, it was because an oil pressure control failed. Then on Thursday I had to go out and found that a condenser motor burned itself up, tripped the breaker for the fan circuit, and the compressors kept on chugging until they tripped the main breaker. Fun stuff. And mind you this a 460V monstrosity of a motor.

Fast forward to tonight, and I get a call to go out there because it's too hot. I tried arguing with dispatch that it needs parts, and there's no reason to go out there. (It's like a 2 hour drive from Orlando) but no dice.
So I figure it's gonna be a head pressure issue, because the fan is out and the place is packed to capacity. Nope.

Somehow something inside the compressor broke loose and grenaded itself. It's still chugging along, but it's oddly silent and not pumping any gas. So gently caress you too machine. Stop making me go out there and fix you. :mad:

FUUUUUUCK YOOOUUUUUUU :argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

So, work threw a fun curveball tonight.

So for some backstory, he have one location that had a 50 Ton split system, that we've done about $2500 worth of repairs to in the last 3 months or so.
Last time I was out there, it was because an oil pressure control failed. Then on Thursday I had to go out and found that a condenser motor burned itself up, tripped the breaker for the fan circuit, and the compressors kept on chugging until they tripped the main breaker. Fun stuff. And mind you this a 460V monstrosity of a motor.

Fast forward to tonight, and I get a call to go out there because it's too hot. I tried arguing with dispatch that it needs parts, and there's no reason to go out there. (It's like a 2 hour drive from Orlando) but no dice.
So I figure it's gonna be a head pressure issue, because the fan is out and the place is packed to capacity. Nope.

Somehow something inside the compressor broke loose and grenaded itself. It's still chugging along, but it's oddly silent and not pumping any gas. So gently caress you too machine. Stop making me go out there and fix you. :mad:

FUUUUUUCK YOOOUUUUUUU :argh:

have you tried turning it off and then back on?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ExplodingSims posted:

That's a loving bizarre failure mode.

I assume something that big would be worth repairing in place instead of replacing entirely, vs a home/light commercial split, where dead compressor = just replace the whole thing, right? Kinda curious how much deathmetal it pumped through the system before it failed completely. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The lady and I had a good long talk. She's just crazy right now and feels bad about what went down last night. I'm stressed but we're solid.

And I am exceptionally bummed about missing out on that car for some reason.

• Locked thread