Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

AceClown posted:

I can't see UD getting hit, it requires you to be in 2 colours and costs 3, however I'd have never had Reflector down for the banhammer either so I could be very wrong.

UD is only as ubiquitous as it is because it has an upside over Murder, there aren't really any other kill spells that match it, and playing 4 colors has a relatively small deckbuilding cost in this meta even for aggro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I think the only way something would get banned after this weekend would be if Saheeli did really well.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Marvel decks were kind of a paper tiger at PT Kaladesh too, I'm not gonna proclaim the death of Copycat just yet.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

En Fuego posted:

I'd back an actual league with belts (for each format, tag-team would be 2HG, etc, and over the top commentators.

Same. I know the community is completely toxic but the fighting game community seems to embrace the over top commentary and the players really go all out, a friend has shown me videos of people slamming drinks to get hyped up or ripping off their shirts / belts / lanyards and the crowd goes ballistic.

AceClown posted:

First time I went to a pro snooker game it blew my mind they do this (minus the signs)

When I went to Scotland for two weeks on a hiking snooker was ALWAYS on television at restaurants / bars. Looked pretty intense production wise and the following it had was crazy

mossyfisk posted:

I would like both this, and proper sports commentary that isn't just describing the game since viewers can't see the cards.

"He thinks it's all over!" *Lightning Bolt* "IT IS NOW!"
Agreed. Magic needs more "LIGHTNING HELIX?!?" or whatever the card was type moments more blind flips on to the table for game winning / losing type moments

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Fighting games are actually exciting to watch though, some fat white dude ripping his shirt off to some garbage Slipknot song and then sitting down and playing with scraps of paper and saying as little as possible to avoid judge calls would be funny a few times then just tragic.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

black potus posted:

...some fat ... dude ripping his shirt off to some garbage Slipknot song and then sitting down and playing with scraps of paper and saying as little as possible ... would be funny a few times then just tragic.

but enough about your Friday nights

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Dehtraen posted:

Agreed. Magic needs more "LIGHTNING HELIX?!?" or whatever the card was type moments more blind flips on to the table for game winning / losing type moments

I agree, they should bring back the Miracle mechanic. Maybe a variation where you can cast the spell off the top of your deck without drawing it if it's revealed to Counterbalance.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

black potus posted:

Fighting games are actually exciting to watch though, some fat white dude ripping his shirt off to some garbage Slipknot song and then sitting down and playing with scraps of paper and saying as little as possible to avoid judge calls would be funny a few times then just tragic.

It's about editing, really.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Imagine if players could issue challenges to other players at the PT (or leading up to the PT) --- Turtenwald challenging Shota in a format of Shota's choosing. Players come out to promos and the format is revealed at the last minute. That sounds pretty great to me...

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Dehtraen posted:

Imagine if players could issue challenges to other players at the PT (or leading up to the PT) --- Turtenwald challenging Shota in a format of Shota's choosing. Players come out to promos and the format is revealed at the last minute. That sounds pretty great to me...

"Shota has chosen.... BOOSTER DRAFT!!!"

Queue six other players showing up to fill out a draft pod. In a cage. Additional grudge matches that weren't on the card appear.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Olothreutes posted:

Queue six other players showing up to fill out a draft pod. In a cage. Additional grudge matches that weren't on the card appear.

"But bah gawd while Shota was in the tank Owen's teammates have replaced Shota's modern masters pack with a Homelands booster. Is the judge blind?!?"

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I would legit love that.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Olothreutes posted:

Team booster draft with Shota bringing some heavy hitters from his team and Owen bringing the rest of the Peach Garden Oath with him would be completely amazing and you know it

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Seriously might be the most boring Pro Tour I've ever seen, including Kaladesh Aetherworks

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Procrastinator posted:

but enough about your Friday nights

Bitch I do that all weekend!

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

It really seems like Heart of Kiran is overachieving. It gets hit by Fatal Push, Natural State, and Fragmentize just among 1CMC options.

It might be that Mardu Vehicles is the most efficient deck that can run Fragmentize and Fatal Push (plus Release the Gremlins, which is 2x in some sideboards), so the result is zero sum.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was hoping for some secret Esper control to break out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

80s James Hetfield posted:

Seriously might be the most boring Pro Tour I've ever seen, including Kaladesh Aetherworks

I don't like the incessant whining we partake in this thread, but I have to agree.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

I don't like the incessant whining we partake in this thread, but I have to agree.

Well, at least I will be able to sell my gideons for $$ in the next few weeks.

Standard still a garbage fire. Shocking news.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If these jeskai decks stuck to the original style with a poo poo ton of creature removal instead of the combo things would have played out differently.

Did any of them have main deck stasis snare or at least blessed alliance to deal with gideons?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

DangerDongs posted:

If these jeskai decks stuck to the original style with a poo poo ton of creature removal instead of the combo things would have played out differently.

Were they possibly tuned to beat the mirror and the UB control decks that I heard have a good matchup against them?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

araeris posted:

It really seems like Heart of Kiran is overachieving. It gets hit by Fatal Push, Natural State, and Fragmentize just among 1CMC options.

It might be that Mardu Vehicles is the most efficient deck that can run Fragmentize and Fatal Push (plus Release the Gremlins, which is 2x in some sideboards), so the result is zero sum.

What happened, far as I can tell, is that Mardu was tuned entirely to beat BG and Copycat, and nothing was tuned to beat Mardu.

The problem here is that mana is secretly getting too good again, allowing a 3C aggro deck to splash blue for countermagic. This is only gonna get worse when BFZ doesn't rotate out.

80s James Hetfield posted:

I agree.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
6 of the 8 decks tommorow being mardu is certainly gonna be a drag, prob still gonna watch it tho for god knows what reason

at least the matchs will be fast

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh wait thats at 3 in the morning for me, gently caress that

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

Were they possibly tuned to beat the mirror and the UB control decks that I heard have a good matchup against them?

Stasis snares are still really good in the mirror, and do you tune so far for U/B and the mirror that even B/G runs you over?
If they were worried about decks like U/B being brought to wreck them that they have to shift so far to handle them knowing aggro would run them over they chose a poor deck to bring.

"CERTIFIED ROTTEN
The following includes every deck type featuring at least seven players and a Day Two rate lower than the overall 62.6 percent:

Archetype # Day 1 #Day 2 Conversion
Jeskai Copy Cat Control 72 26 36.1
Four-Color Copy Cat 25 14 56.0
Blue-Red Control 15 8 53.3
Grixis Control 14 6 42.9
Grixis Improvise 7 2 28.6"

Noted that blue-red control lacks good sweepers.
Some people were playing Esper control. Shame they should the same match ups game after game. G/W tokens also made a presence.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptaer/pro-tour-aether-revolt-day-two-standard-metagame-breakdown-2017-02

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

One_Wing posted:

"But bah gawd while Shota was in the tank Owen's teammates have replaced Shota's modern masters pack with a Homelands booster. Is the judge blind?!?"

Guffawed out loud on a bus. Quality post!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DangerDongs posted:

Stasis snares are still really good in the mirror, and do you tune so far for U/B and the mirror that even B/G runs you over?
If they were worried about decks like U/B being brought to wreck them that they have to shift so far to handle them knowing aggro would run them over they chose a poor deck to bring.

"CERTIFIED ROTTEN
The following includes every deck type featuring at least seven players and a Day Two rate lower than the overall 62.6 percent:

Archetype # Day 1 #Day 2 Conversion
Jeskai Copy Cat Control 72 26 36.1
Four-Color Copy Cat 25 14 56.0
Blue-Red Control 15 8 53.3
Grixis Control 14 6 42.9
Grixis Improvise 7 2 28.6"

Noted that blue-red control lacks good sweepers.
Some people were playing Esper control. Shame they should the same match ups game after game. G/W tokens also made a presence.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptaer/pro-tour-aether-revolt-day-two-standard-metagame-breakdown-2017-02

Keep in mind that the "obvious good deck" is more likely to be played by the less committed players that don't have as much time to work on predicting the format, don't have a fantastic team to test with, and so on. So you'd naturally expect a lower day 2 conversion rate than for decks which require more testing to be willing to commit to, and hence are more likely to have top-tier pilots.

I don't think copycat gets "run over" by vehicles etc. so much as it's slightly disfavoured (or at least the pro tour lists are), and the skill gap does the rest. We'll see how the format shakes out in the next few weeks once people figure out the metagame and how to adapt to it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Top 8 consists of 6 mardu vehicles decks and 31/32 possible scrapheap scroungers.

Ban that.

I think the totals are:
31/32 Scrounger
28/32 Unlicensed Disintegration (only not played in the GB deck)
26/32 Heart of Kiran

GeneX posted:

What happened, far as I can tell, is that Mardu was tuned entirely to beat BG and Copycat, and nothing was tuned to beat Mardu.

The problem here is that mana is secretly getting too good again, allowing a 3C aggro deck to splash blue for countermagic. This is only gonna get worse when BFZ doesn't rotate out.

Well you have every deck able to play 8 City of Brass if they want to, and 4 of them don't even cost life.

mandatory lesbian posted:

oh wait thats at 3 in the morning for me, gently caress that

I'm not sure counter-programming the super bowl would have been a good idea either.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 5, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I probably had my worst magic tournament of all time today at Regionals. 0-4, 0-8. For some reason I played Infect and my matchups were Abzan, Burn, Abzan CoCo and Abzan. Feels bad man... Modern sucks.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 5, 2017

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

I probably had my world magic tournament of all time today at Regionals. 0-4, 0-8. For some reason I played Infect and my matchups were Abzan, Burn, Abzan CoCo and Abzan. Feels bad man... Modern sucks.

Modern does indeed suck.

But you played infect so you deserve what you got.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Playing Infect now was your first mistake.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

I probably had my world magic tournament of all time today at Regionals. 0-4, 0-8. For some reason I played Infect and my matchups were Abzan, Burn, Abzan CoCo and Abzan. Feels bad man... Modern sucks.

What was your list? Not sure what Infect looks like post-Probe but probably not as good as it was.
VV Also this.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Modern does indeed suck.

But you played infect so you deserve what you got.

This, except modern is cool and good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GoutPatrol posted:

Playing Infect now was your first mistake.

Yeah... I mean I have no friggin idea what is good in modern now.

C-Euro posted:

What was your list? Not sure what Infect looks like post-Probe but probably not as good as it was.
VV Also this.

You don't want it and i'm not going to actively poo poo up this thread by posting my 0-4, 0-8 infect list.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 5, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

ThePeavstenator posted:

modern is cool and good.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Hey guys there's a standard tourny at the LGS next week for a box. I don't play standard outside of draft but they've got decks I can rent for $5. What's the deck to play? Mardu? BG?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

myDad posted:

Hey guys there's a standard tourny at the LGS next week for a box. I don't play standard outside of draft but they've got decks I can rent for $5. What's the deck to play? Mardu? BG?

well apparently 6/8 decks in the pt t8 were mardu vehicles so probably whatever beats that

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

Yeah... I mean I have no friggin idea what is good in modern now.

You don't want it and i'm not going to actively poo poo up this thread by posting my 0-4, 0-8 infect list.

Infect is still cool and good and can win games on T2. But you have to call the meta for it now. And those matchups are real bad.

I think I'm gonna go with bant spirits over bogles for the upcoming GP though.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Elyv posted:

well apparently 6/8 decks in the pt t8 were mardu vehicles so probably whatever beats that

Midrange usually beats aggro so BG Delirium?? Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mezzanon posted:

Infect is still cool and good and can win games on T2. But you have to call the meta for it now. And those matchups are real bad.

I think I'm gonna go with bant spirits over bogles for the upcoming GP though.

I got horribly unlucky with matchups. There were a million Titanshift decks in the room and I didn't get paired against any of them.

• Locked thread