Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

All the people bitching about Twilight Princess getting an 8.8.

Turns out it didn't even deserve that lmao

Going to be hilarious if Breath of the Wild gets hit hard by critics. I doubt it will though as Nintendo stuff seems to always get boosted scores even if the game is bad (and I don't think BotW is going to be bad.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mokinokaro posted:

Going to be hilarious if Breath of the Wild gets hit hard by critics. I doubt it will though as Nintendo stuff seems to always get boosted scores even if the game is bad (and I don't think BotW is going to be bad.)

out of all the additions to the game, i'm so hyped for a loving jump button in zelda.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
World of Final Fantasy has a boss fight where you watch a cutscene - fight the boss for a little bit - get kicked out of the fight - watch the same cutscene - go back into the fight, etc. Luckily you can skip the cutscene.
Also the boss has an attack that it loves to spam that takes forever even when fast-forwarding.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Action Tortoise posted:

out of all the additions to the game, i'm so hyped for a loving jump button in zelda.

I forgot there was a jump button in Mad Max , and spent half an hour using the roll button trying to get up on a pedestal to collect some scrap.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Who What Now posted:

I don't know when the video game industry decided that bows were magical super-weapons that create negative sound and hit with the force of a billion nukes, but I hate it.

Everyone boo this man

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Action Tortoise posted:

Y'know, you say that, and my first instinct is to agree, but then I remember I spent like eight minutes trying to jump up some scenery in FFXV to get an item on top of a garage, and it ended up being a bog-standard Elixir, so I'm going to stay cautious.

Of course, that's S-E. The idea of Nintendo bungling a jump button is pretty far-fetched.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OldTennisCourt posted:

7/10 is above average

On a scale of 1-10, anything up to 5 is a negative score. 6 is "barely OK".

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Review score systems are really loving stupid in general and are only useful for people who can't be bothered to read.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

food court bailiff posted:

Y'know, you say that, and my first instinct is to agree, but then I remember I spent like eight minutes trying to jump up some scenery in FFXV to get an item on top of a garage, and it ended up being a bog-standard Elixir, so I'm going to stay cautious.

Of course, that's S-E. The idea of Nintendo bungling a jump button is pretty far-fetched.

I'm going to be the weird conspiracy theory loser who doesn't like it because I've been complaining about nintendo brands starting to mix and mesh together a bit too much for a while now. Like the last console kirby game I played the music sounded like it was lifted straight from Mario Galaxy rather than a kirby game, and half the new bosses looked like NPCs from Mario Party stages. It didn't fit a kirby game at all and it was weird. Now Zelda's getting a jump button, but platforming has never really been zelda's thing and even when it was included, it never really felt like it needed to go full platformer with a dedicated jump button. I'm just waiting for the mario game where mario gets a sword now instead of jumping on dudes, or wears alien power armor.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Having a jump button does not make something a platformer.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Nuebot posted:

I'm going to be the weird conspiracy theory loser who doesn't like it because I've been complaining about nintendo brands starting to mix and mesh together a bit too much for a while now. Like the last console kirby game I played the music sounded like it was lifted straight from Mario Galaxy rather than a kirby game, and half the new bosses looked like NPCs from Mario Party stages. It didn't fit a kirby game at all and it was weird. Now Zelda's getting a jump button, but platforming has never really been zelda's thing and even when it was included, it never really felt like it needed to go full platformer with a dedicated jump button. I'm just waiting for the mario game where mario gets a sword now instead of jumping on dudes, or wears alien power armor.

Tiggum parachute spotted.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RyokoTK posted:

Tiggum parachute spotted.

:confused:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Schubalts posted:

Having a jump button does not make something a platformer.

It's different and I fear change.

EDIT: For more serious content, as fun as modding Skyrim is, it's always a bummer when something goes wrong and then I have to dig through the mod load order to figure out what's broken. Right now I just can't access solitude anymore without the game dying. I have no clue which mods it could be so I have to go through and disable them one at a time starting with the most recent ones.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 05:46 on Feb 5, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Action Tortoise posted:

the bow was good in that game. i'm waiting for rise to go on sale so i can see if stealth got fleshed out.

Eh, kinda? Some of the maps are designed to let you hang out above the action and then jump down to pick someone off, Batman style. Though the most interesting thing in Rise is how you can MacGuyver together bits and bobs on the fly to make molotovs, grenades, etc. If you whip a molotov at some poor fuckers from behind cover and nobody else is watching, that counts as a stealth kill.

Rise was pretty well received but honestly I thought it felt like they struggled to iterate on the ideas from the first game, so everything came out feeling half-baked. It also felt weirdly compact compared to the first game.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Feb 5, 2017

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Review score systems are really loving stupid in general and are only useful for people who can't be bothered to read.

Reviews used to mean something way back when, and then every 'video game journalism' site decided that it was definitely better profit wise to just rubberstamp every smoking pile of turds with a 10/10.

I wizened up to this non-sense when every game 'critic' was furiously gargling Sega's cock over Empire Total War and it ended up being a buggy pile of poo poo that was only marginally improved by a modder. I still pre-ordered Rome Total War 2, and that game ruined the game buying experience forever.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't trusted reviews since MGS2. :colbert:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think Rise of the Tomb Raider is a good game but I liked the first one more hands down. It's certainly worth 40 bucks or so but I can't say it's worth 60 unless you are a diehard fanatic.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nuebot posted:

It's different and I fear change.

EDIT: For more serious content, as fun as modding Skyrim is, it's always a bummer when something goes wrong and then I have to dig through the mod load order to figure out what's broken. Right now I just can't access solitude anymore without the game dying. I have no clue which mods it could be so I have to go through and disable them one at a time starting with the most recent ones.
I'm going to guess you've already fixed the issue by the time you read this, but for future reference, a quicker way to do this is to disable half of your mod list, then see if the problem persists. If it does, you know it's one of the enabled mods, and if it doesn't, you know it's one of the disabled mods. By continuing to do this (i.e. disable half of mod group where you know the problem one is), you can narrow it down much quicker than doing it one at a time.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Who What Now posted:

I don't know when the video game industry decided that bows were magical super-weapons that create negative sound and hit with the force of a billion nukes, but I hate it.

Boooo!

For real though, getting shot in the head is an instant kill with any weapon, but the bow was immensely satisfying because it specifically wasn't like any other games bow. It was fast and precise and very reactive, and didn't look or feel like firing a gun at all. What's wrong with that?

In what games does a bow hit like a billion nukes?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Olaf The Stout posted:

Boooo!

For real though, getting shot in the head is an instant kill with any weapon, but the bow was immensely satisfying because it specifically wasn't like any other games bow. It was fast and precise and very reactive, and didn't look or feel like firing a gun at all. What's wrong with that?

Gears of war is all I can think of and it was a massive fuckoff explodey arrow.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Len posted:

Gears of war is all I can think of and it was a massive fuckoff explodey arrow.

Maybe Turok 1 on the N64. Farcry 4 had a bow with cool incendiary and explosive arrows, making it the most versatile weapon in the game.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Painkiller had an amazing bow/stake gun.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

In Crysis 3 the bow would one-shot the heavily armoured aliens when fully drawn
kinda explainable in that the bow was designed to be used with power armour.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Olaf The Stout posted:

Boooo!

Dying Light has explosive arrows that can send zombies 20 foot into the sky upon impact.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Stuntman posted:

I'm going to guess you've already fixed the issue by the time you read this, but for future reference, a quicker way to do this is to disable half of your mod list, then see if the problem persists. If it does, you know it's one of the enabled mods, and if it doesn't, you know it's one of the disabled mods. By continuing to do this (i.e. disable half of mod group where you know the problem one is), you can narrow it down much quicker than doing it one at a time.

I haven't fixed it yet but I'm about to :effort: but yeah I basically just plan to disable them in batches based on when I installed them since it worked fine until recently. It'll be weird if an independent house mod across the map killed solitude though, but that's nexus for you.

EDIT: Yes it was a player house. None of them were even in Solitude! :psyduck:

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 12:46 on Feb 5, 2017

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

Yes, Link's Awakening was great.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter: the last part of level 3 has you jump from pole to pole. enemies will spawn on these poles, even if you're on the pole as the enemy spawns, knocking you into the abyss, costing you a life and a backpack if you had one

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter: the last part of level 3 has you jump from pole to pole. enemies will spawn on these poles, even if you're on the pole as the enemy spawns, knocking you into the abyss, costing you a life and a backpack if you had one

For all its cool aspects what kills Turok for me every time I try to finish it is that the game hates your guts.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

RagnarokAngel posted:

7/10 is a C, which many would consider below average. Think about it.

7/10 is a first, which is as good as you will get :shrug:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I decided to load up Gundam Breaker 3 to see if they'd finally gotten around to releasing the DLC for that. Gundam Breaker 2 was fantastic about the DLC, you see. Over the course of like a year they dropped a new suit and one or two missions to go with it all for free. Nothing special but it kept the game alive and it was fun to make new builds with the new parts.

3 though? We got one free DLC, they had several more planned. A few months into that they changed their mind. Apparently now it was going to just be six slightly bigger DLCs (Basically just the same amount of content jammed into six packs rather than spread out) each one costing 1000-1500 yen. I like the game, but I'm not going to go out of my way to get a Japanese PSN card or anything for it. Kind of a bummer though, I was looking forward to finally getting to play as the ball.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

First-person platforming is a mistake, Turok and Turok 2 are outright war crimes

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MysticalMachineGun posted:

First-person platforming is a mistake, Turok and Turok 2 are outright war crimes

Metroid Prime is probably the game that does it best, and even then it's not the greatest. Destiny isn't actually that bad at platforming, but the gameplay is so skewed towards fast paced shooting, dropping a neat platforming section in the middle of the raid just requires a completely different mindset and skill set and a lot of people can't adjust well.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Tropico 4: Transportation. They did a hack job for the modern times expansion for a subway system to teleport your citizens around, but you can't use it in the vanilla campaign. Trying to work around the gridlock doesn't work out too well, I used to make different housing blocks but there are several problems with that. First is that tropicans don't always move to houses that are closer to work, second is someone who does move close to their job but their spouse works on the other side of the island, third is even if you build service buildings near the houses tropicans from other sides of the island will decide they want to use that building and the only free one will be on the other side of the island and you can see where this is going.

Another issue is this:

Just loving finish that last pixel you DICK :argh:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Fil5000 posted:

The one where Vaz kicks you down a well is a pretty good one. I was just bad at the game so I had to watch it about four times before I successfully cleared that part.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA FUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOUUUUUUU AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Leal posted:

Tropico 4: Transportation. They did a hack job for the modern times expansion for a subway system to teleport your citizens around, but you can't use it in the vanilla campaign. Trying to work around the gridlock doesn't work out too well, I used to make different housing blocks but there are several problems with that. First is that tropicans don't always move to houses that are closer to work, second is someone who does move close to their job but their spouse works on the other side of the island, third is even if you build service buildings near the houses tropicans from other sides of the island will decide they want to use that building and the only free one will be on the other side of the island and you can see where this is going.

Another issue is this:

Just loving finish that last pixel you DICK :argh:

Pro-tip for Tropico 4: just set all building construction to high priority, they'll build faster. Just like a real banana republic!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The Arkham games rules but holy loving poo poo

gently caress ARMOR GUYS. What an awful idea. In a game where combat is designed to be free flowing why on earth would you include dudes who stop you dead in your tracks and require the dumbest loving move in the game to take them out? It's really really cool to have to perform the dumb loving beat down movie while 50 other guys are kicking my rear end.

Oh and I absolutely despise the cute little ~the villain mocks you for dying~ poo poo. It's funny the first time, not the next 400 times. gently caress off with that bullshit.

OI AINT YOU A PERSISTENT PAIN IN ME BOTTA MR COBBAPOT AINT TAKIN NO VISITA SO GET IM BOIS

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Feb 6, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You can counter other enemies while using beatdown, and armour doesn't stop takedowns.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

poptart_fairy posted:

You can counter other enemies while using beatdown, and armour doesn't stop takedowns.

That changes jack poo poo. I'm still getting loving mobbed, I'm still forced to listen to the single worst loving British accent in recorded history, I've got knife guys absolutely annihilating me, I've got those box throwing dickheads hitting me when I'm at least 2 meters away from where they land and it takes three loving tried to take one armor guy out.

It's a HORRIFIC design decision, like I'm flabbergasted at who on earth thought that was a good idea.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Skyward Sword had a jump button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Git gud? Sounds like you're letting enemies dictate the pace. You have a ton of crowd control gadgets.