Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

So, does anyone think the Maquis was correct in their actions? I always felt they were being incredibly selfish, the Federation was willing to do pretty much anything to help the settlers relocate, but nope, they refused it, then got pissed off that the Cardassians treated them like poo poo.

Nah, they were a bunch of shitheads. Trying to tie the whole thing to American Indian treaty breaking makes no sense in the context of what was going on. They basically expected the Fed to continue fighting a war for the sake of a few people's land at the expense of everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm surprised the Federation still allows people to colonize planets in situations like that. Maybe we don't see the decent colonies, but it seems like every group of colonists is a bunch of assholes who are trying to get into trouble. Whenever the federation shows up and says "Sorry, but this other race that we can't afford to go to war with says this is their planet. Your option is to get what you can and come with us or die," the colonists choose to die.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

So, does anyone think the Maquis was correct in their actions? I always felt they were being incredibly selfish, the Federation was willing to do pretty much anything to help the settlers relocate, but nope, they refused it, then got pissed off that the Cardassians treated them like poo poo.

I think a big part of the problem is Trek has always been unwilling to explore any of the social problems that might actually exist in the Federation. These colonists definitely wanted to strike out on their own and get away from something about the Federation, but it's never exactly clear what. Maybe they really just wanted a little freedom and space so they could be their own distinct society and not part of a trillion-person megaculture that shapes every aspect of their daily lives. Maybe they wanted a challenge that they'd never get in a utopia. Maybe they wanted to build something that was theirs and no one else's. Maybe they didn't appreciate the Feds ceding the homes they'd built for themselves to the Cardassians without even consulting them. It is, in fact, rather selfish, but people are selfish and living in a society where the greater good invariably trumps individual ambition may have been exactly what these people were trying to get away from. If building a home on the frontier is what gave their lives meaning, then asking them to relocate and become good little Fed citizens again may have seemed like a worse fate than risking their lives for what they believed in. Of course, they didn't know they'd all wind up getting killed. They probably thought they'd win somehow and keep what they'd worked for and weren't thinking enough about what they still stood to lose.

So yes, it's selfish and stupid, but it's also extremely human.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Some reactions after finishing the first half of The 50-Year Mission on audiobook:

-Somehow I had no idea Nick Meyer was involved in IV, meaning that he is attached in a pretty big way to literally all of the well-regarded TOS films.

-This entire book really puts into perspective that outside of Spock, McCoy, and Kirk, everyone else had a nothing part. I mean it's obvious if you know anything about it, but they really chafed under that and all the bad blood seems to come from the actors doing little more than lending their likenesses to the movies. If I were a TOS secondary I would be green with envy at TNG characters actually getting episodes centered around them.

-OF COURSE all the Futurama writers are huge Trekkies.

-A lot of stuff is left off the table on discussions of III, IV, V, and VI. On VI alone, I have heard that the rumors of Nimoy having to shut down a Kim Cattrall photoshoot are untrue, and they don't go at all into Brock Peters having a difficult time playing a space racist in VI. Meanwhile you get every little tidbit on the production of I and II (on I there is almost too much detail).

As far as my thoughts on the second book so far, if I never hear an aintitcoolnews review again I will definitely be OK. I'm familiar with how unprofessional and :rolleyes: they are, but talk about trying to corner the lonely virgin demographic.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

bull3964 posted:

It's just a shame it's not possible to cut the reactors out of the Enterprise and decommission it in a non-destructive way so it could be a museum.

Well there is one way...

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

dont even fink about it posted:

-This entire book really puts into perspective that outside of Spock, McCoy, and Kirk, everyone else had a nothing part. I mean it's obvious if you know anything about it, but they really chafed under that and all the bad blood seems to come from the actors doing little more than lending their likenesses to the movies. If I were a TOS secondary I would be green with envy at TNG characters actually getting episodes centered around them.

I remember seeing an interview with Walter Koenig once and he talked about Star Trek 4 and how happy he was that Chekov actually got something to do, and you can see him get SO visibly excited that Chekov even had his own music cue in the soundtrack. "I had a theme!"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Duckbag posted:

I think a big part of the problem is Trek has always been unwilling to explore any of the social problems that might actually exist in the Federation. These colonists definitely wanted to strike out on their own and get away from something about the Federation, but it's never exactly clear what. Maybe they really just wanted a little freedom and space so they could be their own distinct society and not part of a trillion-person megaculture that shapes every aspect of their daily lives. Maybe they wanted a challenge that they'd never get in a utopia. Maybe they wanted to build something that was theirs and no one else's. Maybe they didn't appreciate the Feds ceding the homes they'd built for themselves to the Cardassians without even consulting them. It is, in fact, rather selfish, but people are selfish and living in a society where the greater good invariably trumps individual ambition may have been exactly what these people were trying to get away from. If building a home on the frontier is what gave their lives meaning, then asking them to relocate and become good little Fed citizens again may have seemed like a worse fate than risking their lives for what they believed in. Of course, they didn't know they'd all wind up getting killed. They probably thought they'd win somehow and keep what they'd worked for and weren't thinking enough about what they still stood to lose.

So yes, it's selfish and stupid, but it's also extremely human.

The Maquis are portrayed really poorly, they are made out to look like total idiots by just about every angle imaginable.

People constantly hold up DS9 as the greatest Trek series, but to me it's just filled with annoying characters dealing with stupid problems that don't make any sense. As a show it was not properly equipped to discuss the material it wanted to. If the Federation is not a utopia, explain how it isn't one instead of just having characters that don't appear to understand how the Federation even works. There's nothing "backwater" about DS9 aside from characters in the first few episodes saying it is. Before long they have all the amenities of the Enterprise, but with a bunch of nonsensical pseudo-realism tacked on that doesn't add up in-universe.

The seeds for the kind of stories DS9 wanted to tell, and in fact most of DS9's story prompts, were actually planted in TNG after Roddenberry became too ill to gently caress with it. I sort of resent that everyone thinks DS9 is the innovator. It's frustrating to watch DS9 constantly hand-wave instead of depict, while TNG, finished up before DS9 even got good, had a lot of the grittiness and realism that DS9 supposedly added.

While I'm venting, I'm incredibly sick of Star Trek being constantly rebooted with origin story movies and shows. We are on our third prequel/reboot. You're not going to top or even compete with the TOS run. Tell me a story in the 2380's or 90's.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

remusclaw posted:

Nah, they were a bunch of shitheads. Trying to tie the whole thing to American Indian treaty breaking makes no sense in the context of what was going on. They basically expected the Fed to continue fighting a war for the sake of a few people's land at the expense of everyone else.

Gee, I wonder if we had a catchy Star Trek quote to sum up why the Maquis are a bunch of shitheads?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa6c3OTr6yA

Oh hey!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Get the cheese to sickbay.

E: VVV - Hey fellow idiot.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 5, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The Maquis are portrayed really poorly, they are made out to look like total idiots by just about every angle imaginable.

I'm watching the Voyager episode "Learning Curve" and Tuvok is dealing with some Maquis crew members who are being assholes.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
It's hilarious that the Maquis were made specifically for Voyager yet TNG and DS9 did more with them than Voyager ever did.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
More like the Mock-uis, amirite?

:smug:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm surprised the Federation still allows people to colonize planets in situations like that. Maybe we don't see the decent colonies, but it seems like every group of colonists is a bunch of assholes who are trying to get into trouble. Whenever the federation shows up and says "Sorry, but this other race that we can't afford to go to war with says this is their planet. Your option is to get what you can and come with us or die," the colonists choose to die.

Plus there doesn't seem to be all that many of them and it's like few thousand people on per planet. Imagine getting into a space war over a bunch of stubborn people that wouldn't even fill Barcelona's stadium if you put them all together.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Evek posted:

It's hilarious that the Maquis were made specifically for Voyager yet TNG and DS9 did more with them than Voyager ever did.

Didn't they debut on DS9?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Yes they did, and also appeared on TNG. But they were created in order to have a "rebel faction" to cause "tension" on the next series.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Rhyno posted:

Didn't they debut on DS9?

Formally yes but they had been kicking the idea around since the last season of TNG.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Man, Fields of Fire (the one with the Vulcan serial killer with the transporting bullets) is a real dogshit episode. I know it gets ragged on a lot in this thread, but one point I don't see brought up much: Ezri finds the killer by randomly running into him on the elevator in the last 5 minutes of the episode. You don't introduce the culprit in the last 5 minutes :psyduck:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pakled posted:

Man, Fields of Fire (the one with the Vulcan serial killer with the transporting bullets) is a real dogshit episode. I know it gets ragged on a lot in this thread, but one point I don't see brought up much: Ezri finds the killer by randomly running into him on the elevator in the last 5 minutes of the episode. You don't introduce the culprit in the last 5 minutes :psyduck:

Just got to Season 7 today... I think I'll skip that one. :tipshat:

Speaking of Ezri. I know that Farrel wanted to go and the symbiote was a very fortuitous plot device to just get a new Dax, but it felt kind of cheap to have it back so soon if it all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think you can make a case that the Maquis were getting treated callously by the Federation to at least some extent, but it definitely seemed like either they were eager to cast off moorings, there was a lot of advanced stupidity that we did not see, or that they were getting secretly backed with free coverage from Romulus Today.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Speaking of Ezri. I know that Farrel wanted to go and the symbiote was a very fortuitous plot device to just get a new Dax, but it felt kind of cheap to have it back so soon if it all.

It sucks because Ezri is a good character and I wish she wasn't introduced so late in the show's run.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I wish we got Ezri in like season 4 or 5, and early technobabble dax was outright eliminated in favour of "roguish" dax. DS9 thrived on flawed characters and their development and Ezri was actually an interesting character for that, but never got time to develop.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I do like her as a character, she's got a more interesting hook than Jadzia, I think, what with her being unprepared to join, but it's kind of a shame that her spotlight episodes in season 7 were not that great.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I liked Jadzia because she was the rather clichéd gives-no-fucks kind of character, without being cynical over everything.

Like, Julian was creepily infatuated with her? She's been Curzon; she thinks it's funny that the dude has absolutely no game trying to get in her pants. She sees through the bluster of Klingons from frame one interacting with them, trolling the poo poo out of them in diplomatic endeavors.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

It sucks because Ezri is a good character and I wish she wasn't introduced so late in the show's run.

Ezri should have been a dude just to really gently caress with Worf, Quark and Bashir as well as show just how different a host can be from another host. But that Idea is right up there with kill William and replace him with Thomas Riker in terms of awesome things that will never happen.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 5, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You know what Star Trek needs? Less women, and more dudes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

skasion posted:

Ladies ruin everything.

I googled "Star Trek Ladies" and a few clicks more lead me to this clown who got married in a Nemesis dress uniform.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The Trek connections run deep!

wikipedia posted:

In 1982, the carrier made her 10th WESTPAC deployment. In April 1983, Enterprise ran aground on a sandbar in San Francisco Bay while returning from deployment and remained stuck there for several hours.[40] Coincidentally, George Takei, who played Mr. Sulu, helmsman of the fictional starship Enterprise, was aboard at the time as a guest of the navy.[41] Even though groundings and collisions are usually career-enders for U.S. warship captains, the captain at the time, Robert J. Kelly, who had already been selected for promotion to commodore, eventually became a four-star admiral and commander in chief of the U.S. Pacific Fleet.[42]

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

skasion posted:

That's not what I meant.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The seeds for the kind of stories DS9 wanted to tell, and in fact most of DS9's story prompts, were actually planted in TNG after Roddenberry became too ill to gently caress with it. I sort of resent that everyone thinks DS9 is the innovator. It's frustrating to watch DS9 constantly hand-wave instead of depict, while TNG, finished up before DS9 even got good, had a lot of the grittiness and realism that DS9 supposedly added.

While I disagree with you on DS9, you're spot on about TNG (post-Roddenberry, pre-burnout - basically seasons 3-5) pushing the envelope and not getting enough credit for it. They weren't doing straight episode-by-episode syndication, but there was a lot of long-form storytelling, particularly with the Klingons and Romulans. The Defector alone sets up so much of what you'd get tonally and thematically with DS9: directly referencing and building off an episode earlier in the season, inverted sympathies with the focus on the enemy alien while the crew are being hard-asses, shades of gray morality, and loyalty to ideals vs. loyalty to identity.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

MrJacobs posted:

That's not what I meant.

I like Ezri a lot better than Jadzia, and she fucks with the expectations of characters enough. She's a very different sort of person from Jadzia, a somewhat unusual character type for a Trek show, and probably just needed another season or two to get fleshed out more organically. As it is they kind of bombard you with Ezri time like every other episode of S7.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Personally I think they should've planned from the start to kill and replace Dax at the end of season 2. Have your initial Dax as the introduction and then pull the rug out.

MrJacobs posted:

Ezri should have been a dude just to really gently caress with Worf, Quark and Bashir as well as show just how different a host can be from another host. But that Idea is right up there with kill William and replace him with Thomas Riker in terms of awesome things that will never happen.

Main reason it couldn't happen is it would've left Kira the only woman.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

skasion posted:

I like Ezri a lot better than Jadzia, and she fucks with the expectations of characters enough. She's a very different sort of person from Jadzia, a somewhat unusual character type for a Trek show, and probably just needed another season or two to get fleshed out more organically. As it is they kind of bombard you with Ezri time like every other episode of S7.
I think they did pretty well with Ezri considering they hadn't expected Terry Farrell to leave as far as I know

Although seriously, Worf's love interests dying is something that they have carried over to the novels for some reason and I don't know why.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Worf should have been Dax for the final season, talk about game changer.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

McSpanky posted:

Worf should have been Dax for the final season, talk about game changer.

DS9 S08E03: Worf attempts to settle into his "new flesh", struggling with spot itch, an uncontrollable urge to discuss menstruation with Kira, and what to do when both your names are last names. Vic convinces Jake and Nog to rob a bank.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yes please.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Someone needs to make a ds9 season 8 twitter

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Baronjutter posted:

Someone needs to make a ds9 season 8 twitter

Every fifth tweet should be "I don't see flying cars. Why. Why? Why?!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skooma512 posted:

Just got to Season 7 today... I think I'll skip that one. :tipshat:

Well, more accurately, Farrell didn't want to do 26 episodes a year any more, and tried to negotiate a reduced commitment of something like 8-13 episodes. (I just loaned my Fifty Year Mission out so I can't get the exact quote.) Apparently Rick Berman flipped out and told her it was all or nothing, so she left. Ira Behr claims that if he'd been made aware of any of this at the time, he would have fought to let her do the reduced schedule and keep her on the show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Meanwhile you get every little tidbit on the production of I and II (on I there is almost too much detail).

Yeah, that's my big issue with the first volume. There is so much stuff that happened during the production of the first six movies, but 75 percent of the book is about the original series and the first movie, and then it just hits fast-forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah the bit about the Kim cattrall photo shoot was like a sentence. I was driving on the highway and did a double take because I wasn't sure what I'd just heard and they didn't say anything else about it.