Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I got horribly unlucky with matchups. There were a million Titanshift decks in the room and I didn't get paired against any of them.

That is modern though. Pairings mean just as much as your play. A friend played cheerios and was paired against dnt his first two matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

That is modern though. Pairings mean just as much as your play. A friend played cheerios and was paired against dnt his first two matches.

That is why Modern sucks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

That is why Modern sucks.

Its the best magic has at the moment. I also didn't do well at regionals and I am pretty salty about it right now. My pairings were also awful and my mulligan average was almost once per game.

Also a little embarrassed because I had quite a few friends come into town to play and the common theme was "Why are we packed in here so tight for an event scheduled this far in advance?". I am loving picky as an adult these days and I loving refuse to be skin to skin with my neighbors.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Its the best magic has at the moment. I also didn't do well at regionals and I am pretty salty about it right now. My pairings were also awful and my mulligan average was almost once per game.

Also a little embarrassed because I had quite a few friends come into town to play and the common theme was "Why are we packed in here so tight for an event scheduled this far in advance?". I am loving picky as an adult these days and I loving refuse to be skin to skin with my neighbors.

Obviously Legacy is the most fun to play but I enjoy Standard much more than Modern. Even bad standard formats. It's just much more skill intensive and interactive.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Obviously Legacy is the most fun to play but I enjoy Standard much more than Modern. Even bad standard formats.

Lets not go into the long debate why legacy is a dying format. It also uses conspiracy mechanics designed for multiplayer in a competitive format and that is embarrassing.

I will never understand people who have enjoyed standard at all since battle. Its just been so poo poo. As poo poo as regionals was, I laugh when I think about how many would have showed if it was standard.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 5, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Imo Modern is the healthiest format, but any of them will suffer from variance (how you deal with it is part of growing as a player)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Modern is the most popular format but I don't give a poo poo. I think it's unfun and Rock/Paper/Scissors magic. Standard is nothing like that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

Lets not go into the long debate why legacy is a dying format. It also uses conspiracy mechanics designed for multiplayer in a competitive format and that is embarrassing.

I will never understand people who have enjoyed standard at all since battle. Its just been so poo poo. As poo poo as regionals was, I laugh when I think about how many would have showed if it was standard.

My store doesn't even do Standard FNM anymore, they do Pauper/Modern/Commander on a three-week rotation. Though I wish they'd dump one of the non-Modern events so I could get more practice...

I haven't cared about Standard since THS/KTK when I could roll into FNM with a $50 mono-red deck and troll people out of their X-0 records. Though I guess it's a credit to Magic that people can care about some aspects of the competitive scene without needing to pay attention to the stuff they don't want to hear about.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Modern is the most popular format but I don't give a poo poo. I think it's unfun and Rock/Paper/Scissors magic. Standard is nothing like that.

Standard is such poo poo that rock/paper/scissors would be a loving upgrade.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

I started playing again at battle release, I may never know a good standard. It is super popular in my area though so I'll continue to play it, and it is fun for the first month or so after each set release.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Standard is such poo poo that rock/paper/scissors would be a loving upgrade.

People love to crap on standard. I think it's pretty unjustified. I've had alot of fun playing standard over the last 2 years. Clearly some formats are worse than others but overall it's been fine. I've been playing the copy cat jeskai deck the past 2 weeks and it's very fun, skill testing magic.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Modern is great fun in small events where you know everyone, you can put together a deck that's at least decent against what people are playing, and you can basically avoid the "well I guess I literally can't win this matchup" things (or at least know that you're risking that when choosing a deck).

Modern in large events feels like a bit of a pairings lottery.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jabor posted:

Modern is great fun in small events where you know everyone, you can put together a deck that's at least decent against what people are playing, and you can basically avoid the "well I guess I literally can't win this matchup" things (or at least know that you're risking that when choosing a deck).

I think Modern is especially r/p/s now... It might get better when the format gets straightened out more in the new few months. It was much better before the Twin ban let alone these new bans.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

I only play Modern (or any Magic, honestly) at the FNM level so I'll own up to this. There's also a lot of variation from event to event at my store, though the power level is pretty respectable every week.

A guy tried to talk me into going to a larger event outside of town last weekend but I'm not sure I have the mental stamina to play that much Magic in a day. Plus I gotta wait for a weekend where my wife isn't around, heh.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
We had a guy show up to our last FNM with a full 4-color copycat list his friend told him to build, because he is getting back into magic. I look at his table and he has shaheeli and 4 guardians on the board, but he didn't know the combo. I laughed, which upset him. We told him after the game, and he quit in the middle of the last round, and I doubt we will ever see him again. I wasn't trying to be a dick, but it was funny to see that be net-decked with 0 understanding of the deck.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
congrats on chasing someone out of your store. that'll show them people who dont obsess about wizard poker

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A big flaming stink posted:

congrats on chasing someone out of your store. that'll show them people who dont obsess about wizard poker

We weren't trying to be mean, but he got hostile when we wouldn't tell him mid game how to win on the spot. We told him after.
I also think the not obsessing over wizard poker is mute when some one goes and spends 240 dollars on a card game, and spends more time ordering the cards than looking up a card interaction that takes a single minute to read.

You would laugh to if you saw that board state.

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 5, 2017

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

Obviously Legacy is the most fun to play but I enjoy Standard much more than Modern. Even bad standard formats. It's just much more skill intensive and interactive.

Mcmagic is absolutely correct in his first sentence.

Legacy is the only good format.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Magic's actually a really bad game without one mana instants and sorceries tbh

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

TheKingofSprings posted:

Magic's actually a really bad game without one mana instants and sorceries tbh

it really is. the main probelm wtih standard since RTR has been a lack of anything resembling answers.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Purely speculating, do you think banning Felidar Guardian would allow other decks to be more viable? I think G/W tokens could be more of a contender.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Magic's actually a really bad game without one mana blue instants and sorceries tbh

FTFY

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

give me brainstorm\ponder\mental misstep or give me death.

except misstep gently caress that bullshit card.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Magic's actually a really bad game

Bobmuffins
Oct 10, 2016

Errant Gin Monks posted:

it really is. the main probelm wtih standard since RTR has been a lack of anything resembling answers.

Yeah, pretty much this. Once RTR rotated out I put Standard down and picked up Legacy, every time I look at Standard it just looks like "slam 4- and 5-drops on the table, turn them sideways, first one to turn 20 power sideways wins" (with the exception of the new copycat deck I guess) and just like... okay, but, why would I spend my evening doing this?

bring back turn//burn, abrupt decay, and supreme verdict, thanks

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

You don't want it and i'm not going to actively poo poo up this thread by posting my 0-4, 0-8 infect list.

It's easy to pass over this and it's easy to not want to post a list you lost badly with, but I don't agree that it's threadshitting to talk about the list and why it was a poor choice or what about it contributed to your record. In hindsight, why do you think that infect wasn't a good metagame call? Do you think a different infect list would have been better or do you think infect in general was a poor choice? How do you think what you now know changes your tournament prep I the future?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

DangerDongs posted:

Purely speculating, do you think banning Felidar Guardian would allow other decks to be more viable? I think G/W tokens could be more of a contender.

I think Heart of Kiran keeps tokens in check pretty well.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

DangerDongs posted:

Green-white tokens seems like it's just doing less powerful things than constrictor decks or vehicles. Did you see how hard it got dunked by black-green in the SCG open columbus top 8, even with a great draw?

uninverted fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 5, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

DangerDongs posted:

We had a guy show up to our last FNM with a full 4-color copycat list his friend told him to build, because he is getting back into magic. I look at his table and he has shaheeli and 4 guardians on the board, but he didn't know the combo. I laughed, which upset him. We told him after the game, and he quit in the middle of the last round, and I doubt we will ever see him again. I wasn't trying to be a dick, but it was funny to see that be net-decked with 0 understanding of the deck.

This is exactly why netdecking is not a problem. Anyone can assemble the 75 that won the pro tour or something. Actually winning with it requires skill and knowledge.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

I feel like we're not talking about the same format. Didn't we just have a modern open with 14 different archetypes in the top 16? Including mono blue turns and R/W prison? Didn't we just see Skred win a GP???

I mean modern is basically a fight between flexibility and power. Super powerful synergy strategies that cause deckbuilding constraints (affinity, infect, Bogles, elves, tokens, cheerios, to a lesser extent Tron) vs answer decks that are insanely flexible (junk, jund, nahiri, etc). With Burn and Kiki and soul sisters and combo decks in the mix as well. Hatebears, eldrazi, spirits, living end, restore balance, ad nauseum, storm, lantern control, scapeshift, tokens.

Having the meta be too open is a problem that every format should hope to have. Standard hasn't been that open since inn/rtr/theros.

Legacy and pauper have That kind of wide open meta as well, but hardly anybody plays paper pauper and legacy has a much higher entry cost than modern.

In closing: modern is cool and good and I like playing it even though I play weird non T1 decks (infect before become immense, Bogles, spirits)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mezzanon posted:

I feel like we're not talking about the same format. Didn't we just have a modern open with 14 different archetypes in the top 16? Including mono blue turns and R/W prison? Didn't we just see Skred win a GP???

I mean modern is basically a fight between flexibility and power. Super powerful synergy strategies that cause deckbuilding constraints (affinity, infect, Bogles, elves, tokens, cheerios, to a lesser extent Tron) vs answer decks that are insanely flexible (junk, jund, nahiri, etc). With Burn and Kiki and soul sisters and combo decks in the mix as well. Hatebears, eldrazi, spirits, living end, restore balance, ad nauseum, storm, lantern control, scapeshift, tokens.

Having the meta be too open is a problem that every format should hope to have. Standard hasn't been that open since inn/rtr/theros.

Legacy and pauper have That kind of wide open meta as well, but hardly anybody plays paper pauper and legacy has a much higher entry cost than modern.

In closing: modern is cool and good and I like playing it even though I play weird non T1 decks (infect before become immense, Bogles, spirits)

the thing that makes modern annoying is the silver bullet sideboards and the "matchup determine how well you do." if im playing a rock deck and get paired with 9 paper decks i lose every time. whereas the guy playing the exact same deck as me can get 9 scissor decks and win out.

seriously its aggravating as gently caress when yorir deck has a miniscule chance of winning unless you get lucky pairings all the way through.

as a caveat i have jund, grixis, infect, burn, soul sisters, kiki chord, abzan combo poo poo, elves and bant eldrazi... i still hate modern.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

live mic boys remember to turn it off

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

the thing that makes modern annoying is the silver bullet sideboards and the "matchup determine how well you do." if im playing a rock deck and get paired with 9 paper decks i lose every time. whereas the guy playing the exact same deck as me can get 9 scissor decks and win out.

seriously its aggravating as gently caress when yorir deck has a miniscule chance of winning unless you get lucky pairings all the way through.

as a caveat i have jund, grixis, infect, burn, soul sisters, kiki chord, abzan combo poo poo, elves and bant eldrazi... i still hate modern.

Then why do you have all those decks built?

Aren't almost all of those points a fact for every other format as well? (Aside from silver bullet sideboard hate)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mezzanon posted:

Aren't almost all of those points a fact for every other format as well? (Aside from silver bullet sideboard hate)

Oh they aren't built. I just have all the peices to make them. It's a side of effect of playing legacy and collecting everything that comes out.

Most of my legacy peices can slot right I to modern decks and when I played modern I bougot into multiple styles to see what I liked.

The answer is none.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Sounds like the answer to everyone's woes is................FRONTIER

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Sounds like the answer to everyone's woes is................FRONTIER

the absolute worst of all worlds

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I mean, Frontier isn't exactly horrible right now - it's in that indeterminate spot where you're free to play around with things because it hasn't had enough scrutiny to figure out what the best decks are.

It's just that no-one should ever buy into it because it'll be poo poo as soon as the format gets figured out. Bring back Extended.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Jabor posted:

I mean, Frontier isn't exactly horrible right now - it's in that indeterminate spot where you're free to play around with things because it hasn't had enough scrutiny to figure out what the best decks are.

It's just that no-one should ever buy into it because it'll be poo poo as soon as the format gets figured out. Bring back Extended.

frontier is all of your favorite midrange decks from the last few standards, like abzan, and abzan, and abzan with blue, and abzan with red, and jeskai with black, and even just 3 color midrange decks

This is an exaggeration but it's also not all that wrong

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

It's way worse in modern. There's so many different angles that decks attack you at, and no catch-all answers. Standard mostly focused on creatures so you don't need specific hate. Legacy has force of will and Deathrite Shaman as flexible maindeck answers. In modern you need artifact hate to deal with affinity, redundant 1-mana removal spells to deal with infect, graveyard hate to deal with affinity, lifegain to deal with burn, and that's just the aggro decks. Tune your deck too much for those matchups and you'll lose to valakut and tron instead. There's not enough sideboard space so you run a lot of 2-ofs and 1-ofs and then hope you draw them.

The diversity makes it a great format to play for fun but traveling a long ways to play for high stakes is gonna be lam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

So the PT gauntlet is gonna suck, right?
There's maybe, what, 4 decks they could reasonably include? Anything else is gonna get dunked on.

• Locked thread