Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hey hey hey! It's time for Viking facts!

Did you know that the thread title is inaccurate? Vikings generally washed once a week which was an extreme level of hygiene for the time. In fact the original meaning of Scandinavian words for Saturday (laurdag / lørdag / lördag) was ‘Washing Day’. Here's a contemporary writing from the Abbot of St. Albans.

quote:

Thanks to their habit of combing their hair every day, of bathing every Saturday and regularly changing their clothes, were able to undermine the virtue of married women and even seduce the daughters of nobles to be their mistresses.

So there you have it. Only the Knights smell like butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just get the standard edition and punk all those deluxe and gold bitches with your superior swordsmanship and skill.

They can't use their Special Execution Sunbeam Effect with their heads cut off.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

7c Nickel posted:

So there you have it. Only the Knights smell like butt MEN

Those prissy vikings will know the taste of steel and the bulwark of unbreakable courage

*farts in plate armor, smells it for the rest of the day*

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just get the Standard version since maps and modes are free for everybody and other stuff seems to be unlockable without insane amounts of in-game grinding.

AndyElusive posted:

Just get the standard edition and punk all those deluxe and gold bitches with your superior swordsmanship and skill.

They can't use their Special Execution Sunbeam Effect with their heads cut off.

^^^^^^^^

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

Just get the Standard version since maps and modes are free for everybody and other stuff seems to be unlockable without insane amounts of in-game grinding.

^^^^^^^^

New characters/maps seem like a thing they're gonna make you pay cash dollars for, hence the season pass

that being said Ill get the normal edition anyways because unless this game is gonna pry me away from my 4000 hour Dota investment I'll probably not play this game long enough to see the DLC actually come out

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This needs to be a customization option. It is historically accurate after all

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

New characters/maps seem like a thing they're gonna make you pay cash dollars for, hence the season pass

They already promised you don't have to pay jack poo poo for maps or modes so no you will not. They want everybody playing new maps. Charging for them keeps that from happening. The game industry has been moving away from map packs for awhile. They replaced them with cosmetic purchases. It works better for everybody.

And characters I'm pretty positive we've already said can be earned in-game. So no. The only question is how long it'll take to earn a character. And it doesn't seem long.

So this is all wrong dude. If you actually read interviews with the devs, no. That's not the case. Which is what I was saying already.

The season pass gives you like a week early access to new characters, and gets you them for free and gets you cosmetics. That's what its for. But they can be earned in game by everybody for free so its not really worth it.

Zzulu posted:

This needs to be a customization option. It is historically accurate after all

The new Conan game has a dong slider ;)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 5, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

No, it needs to be made very clear, all new maps and modes are free updates for everyone.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Hi!

I like the Knights.

I also just got this for 40$

Here you go for as long as the deal lasts

https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/for-honor-deluxe-edition-uplay-key--3049-2 it's about 39.99 usd on converting

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

hey welcome to the show! posted:

Hi!

I like the Knights.

https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/for-honor-deluxe-edition-uplay-key--3049-2 it's about 39.99 usd on converting

Warning before everyone jumps on this: "This game is subject to regional activation restrictions. It will activate from: Europe, Africa, Middle-East, Oceania, Japan & South Korea. FAQ: See further details on country restrictions"

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I forgot to post that sorry and thanks for the info.

I have a friend with a UK ip that I can proxy to to activate my key.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
While maps and modes are free and the main game characters are very cheap to unlock with in game currency, I don't think the DLC characters will be as cheap. You've paid for the main game characters, after all. Expect the price of dlc characters to be fairly high for in-game currency.

Gold edition comes with 30 days of champion status. I never ended up trying the champion status stuff since the previous tests were so short and I wanted to spend the money on specific finishkills instead. I forget what the bonuses are on that thing except that it gave you (and other players) an exp boost. I don't think I've seen champion status go for under 2-3000 steel so it was always sort of pricey. Has it been proven worth it?

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
http://proxylist.hidemyass.com has a list of free proxys and I think uplay has a direct proxy in their options

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Like someone said, it'll probably be like they did it with Rainbox Six: Siege

The "original" characters will be fairly cheap to unlock and whatever new characters they release will require somewhat of a grind

It's worth noting that all characters were playable in the beta though and the only "unlocking" you could do was to unlock them for customization. You could still play a character that was locked all you wanted to, you just could't equip him with a sweet skullmask

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
:shepface:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's true, when you go to Denmark you can't look anybody in the eye because everybody and their mother is 2+ metres in height.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I am only 170cm myself. Being a real warrior isn't one of my career options.

:negative:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
It must be very convenient that every Chinese person is exactly 1.6 meters tall. Must make clothes manufacturing really easy.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Chinese warriors have the most representation in vidya games anyway, a whole dynasty of em.

It seems Valkyries have an execution where they just headbutt the other guy to death?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSU6BDKHWL4&t=71s

:swoon:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

Chinese warriors have the most representation in vidya games anyway, a whole dynasty of em.

It seems Valkyries have an execution where they just headbutt the other guy to death?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSU6BDKHWL4&t=71s

:swoon:

Valkyrie's all about those headbutts all the time. She's got those ram's horns for a reason.

Similarly, Shugoki got one where he executes a guy by hip-thrusting his belly right into the other guy's face.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Perestroika posted:

Valkyrie's all about those headbutts all the time. She's got those ram's horns for a reason.

Similarly, Shugoki got one where he executes a guy by hip-thrusting his belly right into the other guy's face.

goty

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Shugoki: Goon of Honor

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

According to the very accurate documentary-style game "Dynasty Warriors", Lu Bu was, in fact, 6' 9 3/4" tall. Guan Yu and Pang De were also 6' 9".

I'm not sure how anyone can debate the veracity of the Dynasty Warriors wiki.

Fashinated
May 21, 2003

nom nom nom

Hi!

I like the Knights.

Here's a better deal at £33.99: https://uk.gamersgate.com/DD-FOR-HONOR-DELUXE-EMEA/for-honor-deluxe-edition

Though not sure about the region support.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Fashinated posted:

Here's a better deal at £33.99: https://uk.gamersgate.com/DD-FOR-HONOR-DELUXE-EMEA/for-honor-deluxe-edition

Though not sure about the region support.

Its not region locked... Way to one up me brah!

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Though it's debatably a better deal because it's only the deluxe addition. So it's like your paying full price but getting deluxe free were my deal was 40 bucks for the base game.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Mine is also region locked so you need to use a proxy to activate the key.

Fashinated
May 21, 2003

nom nom nom

Its not region locked... Way to one up me brah!

No probs. I use https://isthereanydeal.com to find the best prices for games I want, or Enhanced Steam (Chrome extension) which utilizes isthereanydeal.com incorporated within the app.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
My concern is whether or not it's actually region free or they were just negligent and didn't list it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ohh man.. I might have to play Conqueror too now that I have seen their emotes. I want to play with my flail like a SkipIT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRupu0wghus

28 seconds in.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Apparently the PC version is not being handled by Ubi Montreal proper, but handed off to another team within ubisoft germany called "Blue Byte".

Not a big deal for me since I am getting it for PS4, but could be for some PC people? I have no idea about blue bytes history.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I have no idea what that implies or affects. Can you enlighten me?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

I have no idea what that implies or affects. Can you enlighten me?

Sometimes(but not always) a pc version being ported by not the main team can spell disaster for a number of reasons, as its not their game and they botch a lot of things. Studio High Voltage is synonymous with this as their PC versions of games they put out are buggy/crash ridden/unreliable all around.

Not saying this is the case for For Honor by any stretch, but Ubi does have a sketchy past with PC ports so it makes me wonder.

*ed*

Maybe Blue Byte does fantastic work I don't know, just tossing it out there.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 6, 2017

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Ubi Montreal are doing the meat of the game. Blue Byte was pulled in to specifically help bring the pc version to the level that pc players expect (extra controller options, alt-tab for full screen, graphic settings, etc). Else, the pc version might have been a little short on features that aren't an issue on console versions. Ubi has a working pc version, Blue Byte's just making it pc++.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Evil Canadian posted:

Sometimes(but not always) a pc version being ported by not the main team can spell disaster for a number of reasons, as its not their game and they botch a lot of things. Studio High Voltage is synonymous with this as they the PC versions of games they put out are buggy/crash ridden/unreliable all around.

Not saying this is the case for For Honor by any stretch, but Ubi does have a sketchy past with PC ports so it makes me wonder.

*ed*

Oh yeah I see.

I would expect though that if there are port issues then they will be apparent during the open beta yes? Like I can't imagine that if the port is shoddy then everything would appear A-OK during the open beta but then suddenly at release everything craps out.

I'm not a programmer though so someone tell me if I'm wrong. But I would expect the open beta will be the canary in the coalmine for this one and if there is a problem just buy console.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Well I was old on The Division by the beta and that turned out to be a fiasco that eventually turned into an alright game. Hopefully they just skip to the alright game part this time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Apparently the PC version is not being handled by Ubi Montreal proper, but handed off to another team within ubisoft germany called "Blue Byte".

Not a big deal for me since I am getting it for PS4, but could be for some PC people? I have no idea about blue bytes history.

They're the guys who made all The Settlers games. Those are good games, and there's lots of them, so they have a lot of history of PC development at least.

Evil Canadian posted:

They're definitely solid in my experience. They're not like, Id or anything, but they've made several 3d PC games that performed pretty well.

Nechronic posted:

Well I was old on The Division by the beta and that turned out to be a fiasco that eventually turned into an alright game. Hopefully they just skip to the alright game part this time.

Yeah but it wasn't the PC performance of Division that was the problem. Game looks amazing. It was the complete lack of endgame and terribly shallow RPG balance with everything requiring mindless grinding.

See: Destiny. Good performance, good shooting, bad RPG design. That's not quite the kind of problem you face with a port.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 6, 2017

panda clue
May 23, 2014
I played the PC version exclusively in beta and it felt totally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Yeah this is an actual legit company purchased by Ubisoft whom has a pedigree in making Good PC Games. Not a random Korean start-up.