Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

mcmagic posted:

That is why Modern sucks.

Why the hell do you play it then? Are you that pathetic of a junkie or is this the cross you have to bear to go pro and make $40k a year playing a children's game? Like seriously there's plenty of people in this thread who hate plenty of formats but you seem to be the only one who hasn't figured out that you don't have to play a lovely format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

GeneX posted:

frontier is all of your favorite midrange decks from the last few standards, like abzan, and abzan, and abzan with blue, and abzan with red, and jeskai with black, and even just 3 color midrange decks

This is an exaggeration but it's also not all that wrong

Rally and RDW are both good decks in the format, but the fact that most decks are 4C is just off putting.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Modern was announced in Spring or Summer of 2011 (5.5 years ago).

Everyone was excited. "Finally!" They said. "An enternal format that won't break the bank." They said. "They can reprint everything!"

Modern is not a cheap format, and now people are saying "finally" about Frontier. Do people really not see the cycle? Did we really never take an economics class?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In Frontier all of the sets have been opened a reasonable amount at least. A lot of the older modern sets were originally played with by a much smaller playerbase than what exists today.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Vital Signs posted:

Everyone was excited. "Finally!" They said. "An enternal format that won't break the bank." They said. "They can reprint everything!"

What happened is that Wizards is horribly scared of reprinting things.

I mean unless there's a shadowy investor who will execute a hostage for each Horizon Canopy printed, or something.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Who would want to be part of Hornet queen under the mat guy's cheering section?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Vital Signs posted:

Modern is not a cheap format, and now people are saying "finally" about Frontier. Do people really not see the cycle? Did we really never take an economics class?

I have never heard ANYONE say "finally" regarding Frontier. Everywhere I see, either here or in my LGS, is a near resounding "dumb gently caress idea".

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AlternateNu posted:

I have never heard ANYONE say "finally" regarding Frontier. Everywhere I see, either here or in my LGS, is a near resounding "dumb gently caress idea".

Those unicorns I talked about 1-2 weeks ago who were playtesting frontier gauntlets? "Hey, it's not as expensive as modern. It's great!"

I think only the tiny new shop that opened ~25mi away is the only one that even does frontier. Everywhere else already has an established player base for one/multiple formats.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
The target audience for Frontier is people who didn't sell their old standard decks and so have 90% of the cards they need already

I paid basically nothing and I get to play Rally again, it's great

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Bring back extended!

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
(lol modo) but has anyone had an issue where the client sound just stopped working? all my settings seem fine the program just seemed to stop producing sounds of any kind.

i uninstalled then reinstalled and all other PC sound is fine but it's only MTGO where it doesn't work. can't seem to find anything online about it either

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
More cheating at an SCG tournament (is anyone surprised?)

https://clips.twitch.tv/kirwansgamestore/EagerHareYouWHY

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

moush posted:

Did he draw three cards? I'm not good at spotting cheats.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

moush posted:

Idgi. Did he draw 3 with the Faithless Looting? It kinda looks like he draws 2 the first time then draws a 3rd. Or did he never discard after the clip ends?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

moush posted:

I work in law enforcement, and the truth holds that nothing beats a dumb criminal.

Jesus Christ, these people...:doh:

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
He drew 3 cards. You can clearly see he draws 2 the first time, then goes back for his 3rd.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sickening posted:

Lets not go into the long debate why legacy is a dying format. It also uses conspiracy mechanics designed for multiplayer in a competitive format and that is embarrassing.

I will never understand people who have enjoyed standard at all since battle. Its just been so poo poo. As poo poo as regionals was, I laugh when I think about how many would have showed if it was standard.

Actually I think you'll find conspiracy mechanics in two player games are sweet as gently caress and also you're and idiot

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Actually I think you'll find conspiracy mechanics in two player games are sweet as gently caress and also you're and idiot

And idiot huh? Nice post bro.

It's actually really dumb that a silly/wacky multiplayer mechanics are used in a competitive format. It seems to highlight that you just don't care at all about that format enough to take it out.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 5, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

I don't know why this would be a negative thing? Have you ever had had a legitimate in-game reason to wear a Burger King crown in modern? Of course not because modern is terrible.

Never mind people not understanding extremely simple English words and 2-for-1ing themselves with Council's Judgment all the time. That's the best.

Sickening posted:

It's actually really dumb that a silly/wacky multiplayer mechanics are used in a competitive format. It seems to highlight that thy just don't care at all about that format enough to take it out.

It's almost like they designed the multiplayer mechanics to be used in single-player games too!

And lol you are and idiot.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Magic: The Nitpicking

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

moush posted:

He drew 3 cards. You can clearly see he draws 2 the first time, then goes back for his 3rd.

Jesus Christ, you're gonna blatantly cheat on camera at your own loving store? What a tool. I hope that's a LONG ban.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Can any one give me their thoughts on Abzan chord as far as viability, and how it plays. I am looking at this list, because I like tracker and courser together.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/548322#paper

Does it run more like a mid range value deck with the ability to combo off or more just like a combo deck.
How does it handle grixis control?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DangerDongs posted:

Can any one give me their thoughts on Abzan chord as far as viability, and how it plays. I am looking at this list, because I like tracker and courser together.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/548322#paper

Does it run more like a mid range value deck with the ability to combo off or more just like a combo deck.
How does it handle grixis control?

It's exactly what you think it is. It's grixis matchup depends on if grixis is running anger and if the anger out values you. Honestly I think the matchup would be favorable.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Good to hear. It looks really fun to play.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

It's actually really dumb that a silly/wacky multiplayer mechanics are used in a competitive format. It seems to highlight that you just don't care at all about that format enough to take it out.

who cares what the mechanics were designed for if they're still fun

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

DangerDongs posted:

Good to hear. It looks really fun to play.

It's a very solid deck that should be good for a long time.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
so much like how tarmogoyf is the best blue creature, copycat is the best vehicles deck in standard.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

MiddleEastBeast posted:

so much like how tarmogoyf is the best blue creature, copycat is the best vehicles deck in standard.

So that's why people say their engines purr.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

moush posted:

Ugh, how ballsy.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

He responded to me on twitter saying he drew 2 and immediately drew the third. To my eyes it looks a lot like he very briefly paused and hesitated drawing the third after flipping the first two into his hand.

https://twitter.com/Bigward28/status/828276612869345280

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Modern sucks so bad we're going to stream some paper games of it! If you want to see us bumble around with our first paper stream jamming stuff like slivers, ad naus, maybe sun and moon into affinity, we're at https://www.twitch.tv/magicalhacks

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Lucas Esper Berthoud wins the Pro Tour with Mardu Vehicles! I only know from Facebook, because the official site hasn't been updated for some reason.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TwistedNails posted:

He responded to me on twitter saying he drew 2 and immediately drew the third. To my eyes it looks a lot like he very briefly paused and hesitated drawing the third after flipping the first two into his hand.

https://twitter.com/Bigward28/status/828276612869345280

Idunno. That's definitely a mistake someone could make, resolving a similar card instead of the one you actually cast. I lost a match of legacy once because I drew 3 cards while resolving a Ponder. Of course I realized what I'd done and called a judge on myself but eh. If he's got no previous record I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

BJPaskoff posted:

Lucas Esper Berthoud wins the Pro Tour with Mardu Vehicles! I only know from Facebook, because the official site hasn't been updated for some reason.

But he was playing Mardu, not Esper!!! :goonsay:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
The whole Dan Ward thing weird. I half feel it might be him just making a mistake but he is definitely experienced enough of a player to know faithless looting is not a draw three. If he is a cheater though he is sure doing a lovely job at it since his PT and GP results are like mostly scrubbing out day one orbarely making day two and a handful of x-3, x-4 finishes. Seems really dumb to pull that poo poo at his home store on coverage when he also does content for the home store as well.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
He is so clearly cheating it's not funny. The way he positions his hand and the way he moves them when he draws the first two is what does it. He's trying to do a magician's trick.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

If he cast the card and made that mistake I'd be more fine with it (still cheating) but he flashed It back from the gy so that's a pretty big mental screw up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

At least Marcio lost.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Vital Signs posted:

I don't think this is economics... The problem here from my perspective is WotC's pretending that there is a good reason to not reprint cards more aggressively. Speaking more generally, I think they're too accepting of status quo relationships with second parties.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

You don't want it and i'm not going to actively poo poo up this thread by posting my 0-4, 0-8 infect list.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

It's easy to pass over this and it's easy to not want to post a list you lost badly with, but I don't agree that it's threadshitting to talk about the list and why it was a poor choice or what about it contributed to your record. In hindsight, why do you think that infect wasn't a good metagame call? Do you think a different infect list would have been better or do you think infect in general was a poor choice? How do you think what you now know changes your tournament prep I the future?

I'm also interested in this and also:

McMagic, if you had won your first one or two rounds, would you have had better matchups at the top tables? Were you punished for losing the first round by facing more bad matchups for your own deck that also were poorly positioned in the metagame overall which led to them losing?

My own Regionals performance was starting 4-0 with Saffi Company, losing to the mirror when my opponent's build was much better positioned to beat the mirror, then playing really badly to get a draw and losing in the draw bracket twice. If I had not screwed up to earn that draw, the top tables had a shitload of Burn and Scapeshift to munch on. Don't forget Voice triggers, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Friday night, I'm on bant spirits and my opponent is on artifact restore balance.

Game 2, i had gone t1 heierarch t2 stony silence and mausoleum wanderer, and he was trying to make things work with lands. I was playing cautiously, and holding two collected company. He'd been hardcasting some border posts, searching for enchantment hate, and I'd been playing lands and hardcast dudes, holding my cocos for a few turns, hitting with my wanderer for three, thanks to two heierarchs on the field.

I cast qasali pridemage. He cast march against the machines to turn his artifacts on. I blow it up with my pridemage. He cast ardent plea and cascaded to restore balance. I cast coco, hit two mausoleum wanderers. I sacc'd the one at three power, and he paid the extra mana to get around the counter. I sacc'd the two power, and he pays. I sacc'd the one power, and he couldn't pay.

He casts metalwork colossus. I'm out of counters, but I have a path to exile, so I let it resolve, then path. He counters with Negate. I coco, desperate. I hit phantasmal image, which I use to copy his colossus. I also hit My second Qasali Pridemage, and blow up his colossus. He looks at the battlefield and the clock with 7 minutes left. He scoops, and we start game 3, with him saying that he can at least keep the match a draw if he doesn't win quick.

I draw a perfect hand and take him out on turn 4.

• Locked thread