Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah the Romans didn't gently caress around.

uh the romans most assuredly hosed around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Tokyo had already been bombed like crazy, and part of the criteria was to bomb something that hadn't already been extensively bombed.

Kyoto was also on the list early on because it had been spared conventional bombing due to concerns about it's cultural value, and was again spared for this reason. IIRC planners reasoned that a icon of Japanese culture being destroyed by a single bomb would be far more shocking, and that survivors from a more "intellectual" city would have a greater appreciation of the destruction than those from industrial cities like Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Kyoto was also on the list early on because it had been spared conventional bombing due to concerns about it's cultural value, and was again spared for this reason. IIRC planners reasoned that a icon of Japanese culture being destroyed by a single bomb would be far more shocking, and that survivors from a more "intellectual" city would have a greater appreciation of the destruction than those from industrial cities like Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Kyoto was also spared because one of the people who chose where to bomb had gone there on vacation.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasn't there a captured US airmen that basically lied and said "Yeah we have a ton of those new bombs" even though he had no idea what the gently caress the Japanese were asking him? And then like the next day (or maybe the day before) the US sent a message saying to surrender or be annihilated, so the two lies lined up? I seem to recall that story from my History of WWI and II class.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wasn't there a captured US airmen that basically lied and said "Yeah we have a ton of those new bombs" even though he had no idea what the gently caress the Japanese were asking him? And then like the next day (or maybe the day before) the US sent a message saying to surrender or be annihilated, so the two lies lined up? I seem to recall that story from my History of WWI and II class.

It's still contentious as to why exactly the Japanese government chose to surrender, honestly, and it was probably driven by a multitude of factors. The bombings definitively causing the surrender is a useful narrative for Americans because it justifies the bombings, but in reality other things like the threat of a Russian invasion (as Russia was no longer fighting Germany and had warred with Japan in the recent past) probably played a significant role.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Less warred in recent past and more wrecked their poo poo on the continent in two weeks, then started landing (very successfully) on islands.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
The first assassination by firearm happened in 1570, when James Hamilton killed James Stewart, 1st Earl of Moray, the Regent of Scotland.

Mostly noting this because I like his expression in the picture:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

that guy is badass. hope he shoots at least 2 knigths

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

The first assassination by firearm happened in 1570, when James Hamilton killed James Stewart, 1st Earl of Moray, the Regent of Scotland.

Mostly noting this because I like his expression in the picture:

"Huh. Didn't think this thing would work."

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Huh. Didn't think this thing would work."

It's even worse than it looks; the engraving anachronistically shows him with a wheelock a firearm where you pull the trigger and the hammer falls on a spinning piece of pyrite that throws sparks onto the primer. Per the actual history books, his firearm was a matchlock, meaning that the trigger was a lever that lowered a burning piece of rope onto a pan full of powder to ignite the charge. So basically while waiting to shoot you had to keep a piece of tarred rope smoldering (while hoping no sparks fell onto the gunpowder hanging off you in flasks) and use that to ignite your charge.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Re assassinations, an interesting article to look at is Firearms by assassination. Despite the hoopla about snipers and all that, a huge portion of assassinations have been done with handguns, often cheap and small-caliber, rather than rifles at a distance. Some of the few exceptions have been JFK, MLK, and PM Đinđić of Serbia, but overall the list shows a ton of assassins firing handguns at very close range rather than "sniping".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Re assassinations, an interesting article to look at is Firearms by assassination. Despite the hoopla about snipers and all that, a huge portion of assassinations have been done with handguns, often cheap and small-caliber, rather than rifles at a distance. Some of the few exceptions have been JFK, MLK, and PM Đinđić of Serbia, but overall the list shows a ton of assassins firing handguns at very close range rather than "sniping".

Probably the best way to go if you wanna make a political statement and become a martyr.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It's even worse than it looks; the engraving anachronistically shows him with a wheelock a firearm where you pull the trigger and the hammer falls on a spinning piece of pyrite that throws sparks onto the primer. Per the actual history books, his firearm was a matchlock, meaning that the trigger was a lever that lowered a burning piece of rope onto a pan full of powder to ignite the charge. So basically while waiting to shoot you had to keep a piece of tarred rope smoldering (while hoping no sparks fell onto the gunpowder hanging off you in flasks) and use that to ignite your charge.

Matchlocks were terrible weapons for assassinations or any kind of discreet operation because the smoke, smell, and at night the glow of the burning match tended to ruin the surprise.

WickedHate posted:

Probably the best way to go if you wanna make a political statement and become a martyr.

Guiteau chose his weapon in part because he thought it would look badass in a museum.

The Smithsonian Institution officially lost it.

I like to believe that it’s been in the director’s desk for a century, handed down in secret, foiling the assassin’s last wish.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 07:32 on Feb 5, 2017

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Platystemon posted:

Matchlocks were terrible weapons for assassinations or any kind of discreet operation because the smoke, smell, and at night the glow of the burning match tended to ruin the surprise.

So you're saying if I want to kill someone with a matchlock, I need to do it on the fourth of July?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

verbal enema posted:

That is good stuff never knew that.

Pretty sure that was part of Caesar's memoirs, so take it with a grain of salt. He liked to exaggerate things, but nobody else witnessed the events or wrote any of it down, so who's to say if it is true or not?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Pretty sure that was part of Caesar's memoirs, so take it with a grain of salt. He liked to exaggerate things, but nobody else witnessed the events or wrote any of it down, so who's to say if it is true or not?

It isn't. Caesar's only memoirs are of the Gallic and Civil Wars. The pirates story is told with slightly varying details in a couple of reasonably reliable sources, it's not obviously implausible or fabricated, might as well believe it if you believe anything at all about the guy.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

skasion posted:

It isn't. Caesar's only memoirs are of the Gallic and Civil Wars. The pirates story is told with slightly varying details in a couple of reasonably reliable sources, it's not obviously implausible or fabricated, might as well believe it if you believe anything at all about the guy.

I believe he faked his death so he could lead the free folk beyond the wall.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
So I just read a story about what may be the greatest prank ever pulled on someone.

Filippo Brunelleschi is best known as the man who designed the dome for Santa Maria del Fiore, the main cathedral in Florence. One day, there was a social gathering and a local master carpenter named Manetto missed it. Brunelleschi, for some reason, took this a slight and set about creating an elaborate hoax where he would convince the poor bastard that he had metamorphosed into someone else, a similarly named Florentine called Matteo. So Brunelleschi called on a number of people throughout the city to help him pull this off. So as Manetto is closing his shop for the night, Brunelleschi breaks into his house and locks the door from the inside. Brunelleschi had a talent for mimicry so when Manetto returned and tried to open his door, Brunelleschi did a dead on impression of him and told him to go away. Confused, Manetti went to the Piazza San Giovanni where he ran into Donatello, who was a close friend of Brunelleschi's and in on the hoax. Donatello addressed him as Matteo followed shortly after by a local warden, who was also in on it and promptly arrested him for debt. He was thrown into prison where even the prisoners were in on the hoax and continued to address him as Matteo.

At this point, Manetto is thinking this is all just a big mistake, our names are similar sounding, they'll realize they've made a mistake and this will all blow over. He spends the night in jail and the following morning, the actual brothers of the real Matteo come to the prison and claim him as their brother. They take him back to Matteo's house, all the while chastising him for his gambling and profligate living. Now Manetto is starting to think maybe I did actually become someone else. The brothers then slip him a drug which knocks him out and carry him back to his home on the other side of the river where they place him his bed with his head at the foot and feet at the head. He wakes up a few hours later and is confused as all hell. He also notices that his tools have been completely rearranged. Matteo's brothers return and start calling him by his real name again and tell him that their brother had been acting strange and claiming he was someone else. This was followed up by a visit from the real Matteo who confirmed the story and explained the rearranged tools as him noticing in this dream that his tools were out of order and needed to be fixed. That convinced him that everything had actually happened. When the prank was later exposed, Manetto was so embarrassed by it that he left not only Florence but Italy altogether. He did all right for himself afterwards though as he ended up in Hungary and made a considerable fortune for himself.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What's the difference between an assassination and a murder? Is there a minimum rank of the victim?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

People refer to John Lennon's death as an assassination, so :shrug:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AlphaKretin posted:

People refer to John Lennon's death as an assassination, so :shrug:

That's because Baby Boomers are terrible.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I think it's the reason. Assassination is political.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

gleebster posted:

Contains the weird rear end twice, checks out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I read about one French king (one of the ones who they had back after Napoleon but before Napoleon III) who was targeted by a would-be assassin who used a primitive machine gun he'd built by attached 25 pistols to a piece of wood and rigging up a mechanism that let him fire them all at once.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I read about one French king (one of the ones who they had back after Napoleon but before Napoleon III) who was targeted by a would-be assassin who used a primitive machine gun he'd built by attached 25 pistols to a piece of wood and rigging up a mechanism that let him fire them all at once.

Was it Napoleon Jr?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gleebster posted:

Correct.

If a head of state were killed in a mugging, it would be simple murder.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

WickedHate posted:

Also just plain easier. Long-distance marksmanship is pretty difficult and inconsistent. It takes special training to be a good sniper. Sniping weapons are also big and expensive. Hard to hide that. It's way easier to buy a cheap handgun, get close, and blap away several times. That kills somebody just as dead as shooting them from 2,000 feet away.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Subjunctive posted:

What's the difference between an assassination and a murder? Is there a minimum rank of the victim?

"Assassination is the murder of a prominent person, often a political leader or ruler, usually for political reasons or payment.". So it's usually a political person but doesn't have to be, like John Lennon. But I agree that Baby Boomers, in general, are terrible.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

WickedHate posted:

Martyrdom has been a part of assassinations for a long, long time. The Hasashin were noted for just walking up to people, stabbing the gently caress out of them, and continuing to stab them until they were cut down. It was apparently terrifying.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's been brought up several times before but this is literally all of roman or Greek or Chinese etc history if it's only mentioned by one source. People tend to bandy around personal accounts or outright political slander as gospel from those time periods without considering they're essentially the ancient equivalent of the National Enquirer

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

So I just read a story about what may be the greatest prank ever pulled on someone.

Filippo Brunelleschi is best known as the man who designed the dome for Santa Maria del Fiore, the main cathedral in Florence. One day, there was a social gathering and a local master carpenter named Manetto missed it. Brunelleschi, for some reason, took this a slight and set about creating an elaborate hoax where he would convince the poor bastard that he had metamorphosed into someone else, a similarly named Florentine called Matteo. So Brunelleschi called on a number of people throughout the city to help him pull this off. So as Manetto is closing his shop for the night, Brunelleschi breaks into his house and locks the door from the inside. Brunelleschi had a talent for mimicry so when Manetto returned and tried to open his door, Brunelleschi did a dead on impression of him and told him to go away. Confused, Manetti went to the Piazza San Giovanni where he ran into Donatello, who was a close friend of Brunelleschi's and in on the hoax. Donatello addressed him as Matteo followed shortly after by a local warden, who was also in on it and promptly arrested him for debt. He was thrown into prison where even the prisoners were in on the hoax and continued to address him as Matteo.

At this point, Manetto is thinking this is all just a big mistake, our names are similar sounding, they'll realize they've made a mistake and this will all blow over. He spends the night in jail and the following morning, the actual brothers of the real Matteo come to the prison and claim him as their brother. They take him back to Matteo's house, all the while chastising him for his gambling and profligate living. Now Manetto is starting to think maybe I did actually become someone else. The brothers then slip him a drug which knocks him out and carry him back to his home on the other side of the river where they place him his bed with his head at the foot and feet at the head. He wakes up a few hours later and is confused as all hell. He also notices that his tools have been completely rearranged. Matteo's brothers return and start calling him by his real name again and tell him that their brother had been acting strange and claiming he was someone else. This was followed up by a visit from the real Matteo who confirmed the story and explained the rearranged tools as him noticing in this dream that his tools were out of order and needed to be fixed. That convinced him that everything had actually happened. When the prank was later exposed, Manetto was so embarrassed by it that he left not only Florence but Italy altogether. He did all right for himself afterwards though as he ended up in Hungary and made a considerable fortune for himself.

Oh god I hope this is real because this is awesome.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Reads like a FWD FWD FWD: check this out FROM: historian grandma

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
It sounds like one of those "awesome pranks" by some douchebag bro where the victim is sitting there the entire time asking him to gently caress off and the master prankster is laughing and telling him that no, it's all real, you're so confused right now bro, you don't know what's going on. I'd move to Hungary to get away from a cockhead like that.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

modedit from many, many words to pastebin
http://pastebin.com/JJND6Y6w

Somebody has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Feb 7, 2017

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

TOO MANY loving WORDS

2/10 shitpost

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
The idea of someone wasting so much of their life writing such boring poo poo about a boring sport is pretty juicy, thanks for posting

E: are you aware that this is not the schadenfreude thread

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Are you aware your an idiot

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I get why it happened but it is still p lame I had to scroll for like one full minute! On a phone! Wow!

gently caress the Patriots

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

The idea of someone wasting so much of their life writing such boring poo poo about a boring sport is pretty juicy, thanks for posting

E: are you aware that this is not the schadenfreude thread

"Sportsball", he lisped.

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Are you aware your an idiot

I'm surprised he isn't a Pats fan, what with "Heil Hitler" being a part of his name.

Edit
Vvvv
I'm aware

Chichevache has a new favorite as of 10:11 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Chichevache posted:

I'm surprised he isn't a Pats fan, what with "Heil Hitler" being a part of his name.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulla%27s_first_civil_war