Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

I had never seen it in 100 hours of playing, but I've seen it happen several times in the menace dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Renoistic posted:

Any tips for the Costlemark Menace dungeon?

Limit break magic is your friend, bring some safety bits, use 1 Cup Noodles as a catalyst with a single point of energy to make 3 healcast spells that will give you an elixir effect (although your teammates are terrible at using them), Ignis can circumvent the item restriction a bit if you equip him with The Good/Grand Chamberlain, most of the time your food should be the lasagna that nullifies elemental damage.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
The Prompto plot reveal could have been done so so much better. We could have fought a mind controlled Prompto (or Noctis mind controlled like we experienced on the train) that could shape-shift into whatever demon thing he could become. THEN as one of his limit breaks he goes all Vincent and turns into a raging monster that does damage at the cost of being able to control him until the battle is over. You could even make special circumstances or handicaps like his HP triples or quadruples but if you use the break in sunlight his health bar ticks down rapidly. Maybe that parallel is too close to FF7 since they both use guns too.

I have tried several times to go back and do endgame stuff, but I just can't get that into it. Everything else feels empty. This game was definitely fun and scratched an itch but gently caress it feels like huge content is missing.

MGSV 2.0 with out all the fun of actually doing poo poo over in endgame...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Paracelsus posted:

Limit break magic is your friend, bring some safety bits, use 1 Cup Noodles as a catalyst with a single point of energy to make 3 healcast spells that will give you an elixir effect (although your teammates are terrible at using them), Ignis can circumvent the item restriction a bit if you equip him with The Good/Grand Chamberlain, most of the time your food should be the lasagna that nullifies elemental damage.

Thanks, I just beat the 100 floor dungeon so I'll take a break before tackling this one. Do you know which ingredients are easy to gather if you want the limit break magic?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Take the Zu hunt, go to the mountain, camp at the summit, kill zu, return to entrance, return to last rest (Don't turn in the Zu hunt), kill zu again, repeat.

Most times you'll get 3 beaks, 9 of which gives you a lot of casts of level 99 limit break magic of your choice.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Also why is recording blocked for the credit list? Is there a huge spoiler I'm missing by while looking at it?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Alder posted:

Also why is recording blocked for the credit list? Is there a huge spoiler I'm missing by while looking at it?

I assume it's to stop people recording and re-posting the song that's playing.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Alder posted:

Square-Enix is super-protective of their endings. A lot of LPs run into trouble trying to upload the ending, for example. There are scenes in the middle of and after the credits, so allowing specifically the credits would mean disabling and enabling the block a few times, potentially with pop-ups.

Spoiler if you're still watching the credits:
I'm amused at the fact the post-game title screen is blocked, though.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

Square-Enix is super-protective of their endings. A lot of LPs run into trouble trying to upload the ending, for example. There are scenes in the middle of and after the credits, so allowing specifically the credits would mean disabling and enabling the block a few times, potentially with pop-ups.

Spoiler if you're still watching the credits:
I'm amused at the fact the post-game title screen is blocked, though.

I see now that makes more sense since I didn't see anything spoilery from the trip photo slideshow or song. Also, why does everyone think all your friends died? I like to think they're alive when we leave the final stage

btw: SOLVED

Alder fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 5, 2017

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Alder posted:

I see now that makes more sense since I didn't see anything spoilery from the trip photo slideshow or song. Also, why does everyone think all your friends died? I like to think they're alive when we leave the final stage

btw: I wish we had a easier way to share photos other than linking my social media. I just want to create a anime BF scrapbook not connect FB to PS4 =/

can't you just transfer them to a USB stick or something like you can with videos? alternatively, just make a dummy account on FB/Twitter to use for game stuff.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
So the exosuits are being delayed because Square designed them to look too close to Power Ranger suits: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-15s-new-outfits-delayed-because-they/1100-6447549/

Ridiculous.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

So the exosuits are being delayed because Square designed them to look too close to Power Ranger suits: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-15s-new-outfits-delayed-because-they/1100-6447549/

Ridiculous.

Good. I hope they replace it with the widely-anticipated swimsuit DLC.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Alder posted:

Good. I hope they replace it with the widely-anticipated swimsuit DLC.

Banana hammocks for all the guys. Sharpish.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Bethamphetamine posted:

Banana hammocks for all the guys. Sharpish.

I like the way you think :v:

Also what happened to this guy?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
you fukkin murder him in the first chapter

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
So what happened to the Emp anyway?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
You fight the emperor in Chapter 13. He's a boss fight.

You fight Loqi in later on if you infiltrate the second imperial base in Leide, but you just get couple lines of ingame dialogue

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Marmaduke! posted:

So what happened to the Emp anyway?

He's Forus, the bat monster thing in Chapter 13 that chases you for a while. Ardyn betrayed him and turned him into a daemon, which is why his throne is empty in Chapter 13 with just some clothes on it. When you actually fight Forus with the party, between his dialogue, his transformation is revealed.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

He's Forus, the bat monster thing in Chapter 13 that chases you for a while. Ardyn betrayed him and turned him into a daemon, which is why his throne is empty in Chapter 13 with just some clothes on it. When you actually fight Forus with the party, between his dialogue, his transformation is revealed.

I keep seeing people say the reveal is extremely obvious but I watched a friend play this and the dialogue never triggered for him. I had to explain because it did trigger for me, but he still thought it was a dumb twist

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

At the end of Chapter 13, are you supposed to be able to hear what Ardyn says? He was saying something but Noctis was grunting so much I have no idea what the grand reveal was.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Azubah posted:

At the end of Chapter 13, are you supposed to be able to hear what Ardyn says? He was saying something but Noctis was grunting so much I have no idea what the grand reveal was.

yes, but he's just quoting "No Rain" by the band Blind Melon for some reason.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

yes, but he's just quoting "No Rain" by the band Blind Melon for some reason.

I really hope that's true because his voice is incredible.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Azubah posted:

Someone else can answer in more detail but the basic point is he used to be king but the gods spurned him for taking in the evil daemon disease instead of destroying it and gave the crown to Noct's ancestors.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I had to rewatch that part on YouTube with subtitles because I didn't have subtitles on when I was playing. It's really bad, especially considering it's one of the most important plot points in the game that has so few.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I had to rewatch that part on YouTube with subtitles because I didn't have subtitles on when I was playing. It's really bad, especially considering it's one of the most important plot points in the game that has so few.

OTOH why are you playing without them in the first place?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Wow thanks guys. This game really fails at communicating the important plot details! After seeing so many people complain about chapter 13, and not having such bad memories of it myself, I think I must have completed it in a fugue state.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

OTOH why are you playing without them in the first place?

Ha good question. I actually had just turned them off because I was reading what Ardyn was saying instead of listening to him. And that got boring for me as I was walking down all those hallways. Turned them right back on after though.

It's generally not a good idea to have subtitles off in this game because there's no much background conversations going on.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It might just be that I'm broken or something but I'm having a good time doing the Costlemark menace dungeon. It's the first time in 120 hours the game has been genuinely challenging, and forcing me to make the most of everyones' abilities. Ignis is seriously the MVP and the true hero of the game, with his cooking, Regroup, and Overwhelm.

The four Iron Giants killed Promto and Gladio in seconds and I was out of strong magic, and I still managed to pull through with Ignis' help. It was a harrowing fight.

JunXaos
Mar 11, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMBANNED! READ HERE

Renoistic posted:

It might just be that I'm broken or something but I'm having a good time doing the Costlemark menace dungeon. It's the first time in 120 hours the game has been genuinely challenging, and forcing me to make the most of everyones' abilities. Ignis is seriously the MVP and the true hero of the game, with his cooking, Regroup, and Overwhelm.

I just finish the dungeon a min ago and I had the same thought. I actually had prepare myself and use tactic instead of pumping potions.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

DelphiAegis posted:

Take the Zu hunt, go to the mountain, camp at the summit, kill zu, return to entrance, return to last rest (Don't turn in the Zu hunt), kill zu again, repeat.

Most times you'll get 3 beaks, 9 of which gives you a lot of casts of level 99 limit break magic of your choice.

I couldn't get the Zu to respawn so I went ahead wirv only three beaks. I'm glad I had them so I could nuke some particularly nasty foes in the dungeon.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

AlphaKretin posted:

Someone else can answer in more detail but the basic point is he used to be king but the gods spurned him for taking in the evil daemon disease instead of destroying it and gave the crown to Noct's ancestors.

Did I misinterpret that? Ardyn seemed more sympathetic to me because of that. As I understood it, he was the original King, but instead of using the power of the King to fight off the starscourge, he used it to absorb the disease from others to ease their suffering. But he didn't realize that it would corrupt him as well and the gods had no choice but to abandon him to his mistake and try again.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

InfinityComplex posted:

you fukkin murder him in the first chapter

Oh well, I guess I can't add him to my anime BF collection then :coffee:

exploded mummy posted:

It could just be my bizarre sense of humor but I found all the random clothes in the Keep to be hilarious like is every evil miniboss just running around naked?

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

Really? I never got that. I even have subtitles. It probably also didn't help that when the team got back together I ended up killing him SUPER quick. I was level 50ish I think with the ultima blade. I just assumed Ardyn just killed everyone.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
So, I'm finally getting to play this game tomorrow and I have a question. Do we have a consensus on what might be best, the original japanese or english dub?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

MillennialVulcan posted:

Did I misinterpret that? Ardyn seemed more sympathetic to me because of that. As I understood it, he was the original King, but instead of using the power of the King to fight off the starscourge, he used it to absorb the disease from others to ease their suffering. But he didn't realize that it would corrupt him as well and the gods had no choice but to abandon him to his mistake and try again.

You didn't, I was rushing the summary on phone late at night. :v: As far as sympathy goes, it's unclear whether he was a dick because he was corrupted and then spurned, or whether he was a lovely ruler before all that. Remember that the game originally had ties to FF13, where the most consistent theme was that the gods do their own things and have morals that aren't really comprehensible by humans.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Pigbottom posted:

So, I'm finally getting to play this game tomorrow and I have a question. Do we have a consensus on what might be best, the original japanese or english dub?

Cindy and random people have Midwest accents which may or may not ruin your overall exp. I thought the ENG VA was patchy from the trailers and I'm much more familiar with the JPN VA due to their other works. Do you like reading subtitles?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alder posted:

Cindy and random people have Midwest accents which may or may not ruin your overall exp. I thought the ENG VA was patchy from the trailers and I'm much more familiar with the JPN VA due to their other works. Do you like reading subtitles?

Uh, Cindy isn't a Midwest accent.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Barudak posted:

Uh, Cindy isn't a Midwest accent.

southern accent :(

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

So I figured out how they got Gentiana to appear in photos sometimes even though she's not really there. My son was playing earlier, and doing the sidequest where you're disarming animal traps in that one bit with the coeurls, and after the fight (in which he decided he wasn't going to put up with any of their instakill bullshit and just flung magic around like a madman), Gentiana was just sort of - there, in the middle, repeatedly toggling between her 'standing up' and 'sitting down' animations. So apparently, she just HANGS OUT in places in the world, but the gameplay 'camera' just doesn't render her. His account is a sub account so it couldn't share it to social media, but i saved the vid and I'll have to send it to myself so i can trim that bit out and show it to y'all. It was pretty fukken hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Finally got around to getting a ps4 (for this and P5, and a few other things) and I just got back on the train after the mines.

I hope that now I dont have to wait around for ignis. Poor dude :(

I can definitely understand why some people have criticized the pacing and story. I wont go into specifics there but the pacing feels really all over the place. That being said, I'm still really enjoying it. A lot.

• Locked thread