Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

true.spoon posted:

Wait, did you just post a Werner clip to make a point about the specific humor of southern northern Germany?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Haier posted:

There were some Chinese replies on that FB post about how the Chinese government was negating people's diploma's from schools where the Dalai visited. LOL. What kind of lame gossip is that? That's probably why many of them are so riled up.

Has anyone pointed out the irony of them practicing free speech and protesting using a website that's been banned in their own country because it allows them free speech and protesting?

All they do is talk about how many people have been "lifted out of poverty" or something like that. Vague things like, "we're a developing country, we're getting better" or whatever.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

true.spoon posted:

Wait, did you just post a Werner clip to make a point about the specific humor of southern Germany?
shhhh, it was the only one I could think of on short notice that involved slapstick, they don't have to know (I was even going to do Otto but that was a bit too far I think)

Also kinda digging this sudden outpouring of German speakers in China thread. Too bad that the Chinese didn't pick up lessons the same way the Japanese did; they got the bread and beer down to loving pat

Meanwhile, the best the Chinese can do is Tsingtao. That's just goddamn sad.

nickmeister posted:

All they do is talk about how many people have been "lifted out of poverty" or something like that. Vague things like, "we're a developing country, we're getting better" or whatever.
It is probably true that today is the best time ever to be a Chinese peasant.
The question is how terribly impressive that is...

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

shhhh, it was the only one I could think of on short notice that involved slapstick, they don't have to know (I was even going to do Otto but that was a bit too far I think)

Also kinda digging this sudden outpouring of German speakers in China thread. Too bad that the Chinese didn't pick up lessons the same way the Japanese did; they got the bread and beer down to loving pat

I thought the Harbin brand beer sold in Harbin was a solid nonexotic lager

Also they have sauerkraut in Harbin which they were surprised I had eaten before as it was a "special northern cabbage"

(Also some Germans moved there in 18-something and started a brewery, still the knowledge of the Chinese people truly is 5000 rich and deep)

raton fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 5, 2017

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Koramei posted:

Justifying it with that in mind is basically just a repeat of the European colonial "have a civilized power modernize and uplift them for their own good" argument is the thing. I don't think Tibet having been horrific precludes criticism of China's actions there 70 years later.

Although yeah people are pretty naive when it comes to Buddhism. I still hear the laughable "no Buddhist state has ever waged a war of aggression" thing from time to time, even.

Years ago I was in western Sichuan and Qinghai, which are on the Tibetan plateau and still 99% Tibetan people but at least at that time like 100x easier to go to since there's less visa/documentation required to go there, hanging out in the restaurant/common are of the hostel I was staying in. This place was kind of in the middle of nowhere, and it was mainly younger Chinese people traveling through, but there was one other white dude in the place so he came up to talk to me. He was almost a caricature of himself since he was a white dude with dreads and the first thing he said to me was "Hi, blah blah, by the way I'm vegan."

He then went on to complain to me about how the Chinese destroyed traditional tibetan culture cuz everyone ate so much yak and yak milk and yak cheese and they weren't all vegans like they used to be. I didn't really feel like correcting him but I do wonder if he ever found out not much grows 5000m above sea level and they've always been very heavy on animal products.

Also this was right after the 2008 Olympics and there was a weird travel ban on French people in Tibetan areas because some people went there to try and start a revolt or something, so everywhere I went I had to go through extra checkpoints to make sure I wasn't French. One time at one of those stops when on a bus, the cop/whatever he was said I "looked" French and was very suspicious of my American passport, but the Chinese dude I'd been chatting with on the bus managed to convince him to let us go.

Overall that trip was A+ would go again.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Qingdao is surprisingly way better if you're actually in Qingdao. Chinese brands have little interest in maintaining an idea of quality or consistency in a brand, so most just license the name out to whoever pays them the most. Qingdao and Snow do this and the quality varies wildly. Generally the Qingdao you're drinking was made at whatever random brewery paid Qingdao Beer the most to slap their label on it. They don't give a gently caress about the quality as long as it's not actively killing people, I guess. In some cities you can actually buy the real Qingdao beer but they make it 3-4x the price and call it something dumb.

Now it's not like a super duper good beer or anything, but if you're in Qingdao itself it's totally serviceable and a clear step up from other mass market Chinese beers (which is of course the lowest bar ever). I lived there for a year after having lived elsewhere in China before, and was surprised at the jump in quality. They also make an IPA and a stout now which aren't too bad, especially considering the price.

Bread in China however is a totally lost cause and outside of a few specialty bakeries in relatively developed cities it's a crapshoot.

But Japan is some sort of weird alcohol genius that stands above most places. They make p much the best whiskey in the world, and a lot of the best beer. I've even had Japanese rum which was really good too.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Taiwan, like Japan, has fine beer and great whiskey, and Taiwanese people love whiskey.

They also have good gaoliang/baijiu here if you like that. We got some new teachers in a few months ago who had been working in Georgia (the country, not the state) for a while and I had them try Taiwanese gaoliang. Not even bad stuff, just a decent bottle. They both said it was the worst thing they'd ever tasted. Worse than bootleg Georgian liquor.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

Years ago I was in western Sichuan and Qinghai

Qingdao is surprisingly way better if you're actually in Qingdao. Chinese brands have little interest in maintaining an idea of quality or consistency in a brand, so most just license the name out to whoever pays them the most. Qingdao and Snow do this and the quality varies wildly. Generally the Qingdao you're drinking was made at whatever random brewery paid Qingdao Beer the most to slap their label on it. They don't give a gently caress about the quality as long as it's not actively killing people, I guess. In some cities you can actually buy the real Qingdao beer but they make it 3-4x the price and call it something dumb.

Now it's not like a super duper good beer or anything, but if you're in Qingdao itself it's totally serviceable and a clear step up from other mass market Chinese beers (which is of course the lowest bar ever). I lived there for a year after having lived elsewhere in China before, and was surprised at the jump in quality. They also make an IPA and a stout now which aren't too bad, especially considering the price.

Bread in China however is a totally lost cause and outside of a few specialty bakeries in relatively developed cities it's a crapshoot.

But Japan is some sort of weird alcohol genius that stands above most places. They make p much the best whiskey in the world, and a lot of the best beer. I've even had Japanese rum which was really good too.

Tsingtao is surprisingly drinkable, I'd rate it near the top of the (very low) heap of most Asian lagers. Beer Lao Dark (and probably the classic) are above it, but I might put either Tsingtao or Sam Miguel next. After that it quickly becomes indistinguishably "drinkable, I guess", then Chang, then Snow.

Saying Japan makes "a lot" of the best beer would be a stretch; the craft scene has taken off there in recent years (from nonexistant to nascent) but it's still difficult to find anything that's not Kirin/Asahi/Sapporo at 95+% of establishments. Hell, it is easier to find some Japanese micros outside Japan than in it. I actually took up drinking whiskey when I lived there (A++ would do again) because after a few months of nothing but the Big Three I felt like I had to rebel.

I briefly considered homebrewing in my postage stamp of an apartment but found out it's still illegal (anything over 1% ABV isn't allowed :japan:). Not that they're kicking in doors to bust people, but it kills the availability and convenience of ingredients.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
There is only one Chinese beer, Zhujiang Pijiu, Pearl River Beer.

It is brewed with the waters of the pearl river and they put chalk in it for flavor.

I found some a few years after I moved back to the US at a super fancy gourmet grocery store like it was some kind of exotic special imported beer.

Man some zhujiang pijiu and some dice cups would bring back a lot of memories.

Any of you guangdong goons master the noble and magnificent game of drinking dice?

I could give master classes in that poo poo. There are few better ways to spend an evening in this life on earth than at a restaurant eating chinese food, drinking pearl river beer, and playing drinking dice with Chinese people, then taking a motorcycle taxi home in the wee hours.

Sometimes I loving miss China :suicide:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

is it as terrible as pearl river soy sauce

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

How much face is China losing from the Dalai Lama visit?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Magna Kaser posted:

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to making bread. Do they not make "normal" bread because it's hard, or is it just not to the general taste of a Chinese person? I've even heard Chinese who have visited the states say they don't like sandwiches.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

None. The school will remember how much money they get from those babies' parents and cancel the event.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Sheep-Goats posted:

Also every DVD stall in every corner of Asia has Mr. Bean DVDs.
I just watched Mr. Bean (the TV show) last night with one of my (Chinese) friends. I think both of us had seen them way too many times as kids, but it was still good stuff. The universal appeal of Mr. Bean is a harmless cross-cultural thing that I wish there was more of around here. He's better than the "LOL, DO U REMEMBER ROSS FROM FRIENDS? SO FUNY! SHELDON IS FUNNY TOO. BIG BANG! NO, NOT THE POP GROUP. BUT I LOVE THE BOTH BING BANG!"

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Wily easterners strike again.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I was out for a long walk today, and there were two guys ahead of me in their tuhao clothes smoking and going to their car. They got into a shiny new tuhao BMW with tuhao stickers (ONE PIECE). The guy started the car and immediately tried to back out in the street, most likely without looking or paying attention to where he had parked. One of those metal cement-filled traffic-stopper poles was there and he crushed the hell out one side of his car when he backed into it. Everyone on the sidewalk stopped to watch and I instinctively raised my hands to start clapping, but realized his might be a bit much, so I didn't. Some old guy let out a hearty laugh at the two gold-chained-wearing guys as they jumped out of their now-ruined vehicle. It was definitely a great crunch and somebody's dad is going to be really upset and will have to steal more money from his company to pay for repairs.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Bubblyblubber posted:

Wily easterners strike again.

China is so inscrutable :argh:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

That's a classic, but I actually prefer this one:

It also involves thread favourites "I cannot comment as I am not an expert", a flat false face-saving denial in spite of evidence, and "they are not from [Ministry of Health] so outsiders cannot have an opinion"

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

Sheep-Goats posted:

I don't know if I do or not in that I find states based around some kind of ethnic identity to generally be fascistic and disgusting, even if we're talking minority ethnicities. What's worse than that though is some unicultural retard state drawing its boundaries around another and then stamping out what differentiation exists in the encircled people. That's a pre-1900s kinda thing and it shouldn't be going on in 2017.

I will grant you that the Chinese are probably the least horribly sexist nation in Asia, so good on China for that. Now if they could work on their disgusting selfishness and materialism we might have something going.

I, too, love imperialism, except when it does exactly what it's supposed to.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Echoing what others have said, whiskey in Japan and Taiwan is fantastic. Taiwan gets bonus points for practically giving imported single malt Scotch away.

Beer in Taiwan is pretty OK. Taiwan Beer for the longest time only had two varieties, Classic and Gold. I was really into Gold for awhile, especially after leaving Korea (the worst beer on earth), but it's lost some of its appeal to me recently. But that's OK because the import market blew up and now Belgian beers and IPAs are everywhere. I'm not really a fan of either of those styles, but Taiwanese businesses understand how to compete and innovate, so Taiwan Beer has been putting a bunch of new varieties out on the market and some of them are really good.

Meanwhile in Thailand, the local liquor is poison and Chang gives me the worst hangovers I've ever had. But Leo is drat good.

Beer Lao is also widely available. I actually prefer the classic to the dark, but Beer Lao Gold owns both and it's basically everywhere in Bangkok now.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
At the supermarket: I'm the lady with the huge lip herp kissing her baby's cheeks, eyes, and lips, because my education on the virus is that it is actually only caused by eating chili, therefore it is simply "heat in the body coming out." How can my baby have so much heat coming, but he doesn't eat chili?!? Such a strange thing!!

That poor kid.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
eye herps ain't no joke. Used to be you could only get it by winking.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Haier posted:

At the supermarket: I'm the lady with the huge lip herp kissing her baby's cheeks, eyes, and lips, because my education on the virus is that it is actually only caused by eating chili, therefore it is simply "heat in the body coming out." How can my baby have so much heat coming, but he doesn't eat chili?!? Such a strange thing!!

That poor kid.

Herpes is like the most common virus on earth, it's just that the majority of people are asymptomatic. If he didn't get it from her, he'd get it from someone else. Hint: it can still be contagious when a cold sore isn't present.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People with cold sores shouldn't be kissing anyone on the basis of grossness alone. But yeah, Herps is everywhere, enjoy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Magna Kaser posted:

I didn't really feel like correcting him but I do wonder if he ever found out not much grows 5000m above sea level and they've always been very heavy on animal products.

What do small Tibetan villages do for food?

I've always wondered how tiny towns surrounded by ice and bare rock manage.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Atlas Hugged posted:

Herpes is like the most common virus on earth, it's just that the majority of people are asymptomatic. If he didn't get it from her, he'd get it from someone else. Hint: it can still be contagious when a cold sore isn't present.
Would you kiss your own child on eyes with the herp going? Google that and get back to me.
I don't care that it's common. I care that Chinese have noooo loving clue what it is, and think it's because of some TCM bullshit. I recently talked to a Chinese woman that studied virology in Europe, and she was lamenting how awareness for any kind if illness, virus, or disease in China is impossible because of TCM thought pervading everyone's brains. She said she spent 6 years in Europe and, when she returned, even her own parents wouldn't listen to her. Since everything in China is rooted in "us versus them" mentality, of course anything non-Chinese is going to be shat on by lies or general mistrust. On top of this, the whole "Foreigners all have disease, while Chinese just have symptoms of imbalance."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Tsingtao is surprisingly drinkable, I'd rate it near the top of the (very low) heap of most Asian lagers. Beer Lao Dark (and probably the classic) are above it, but I might put either Tsingtao or Sam Miguel next. After that it quickly becomes indistinguishably "drinkable, I guess", then Chang, then Snow.

Saying Japan makes "a lot" of the best beer would be a stretch; the craft scene has taken off there in recent years (from nonexistant to nascent) but it's still difficult to find anything that's not Kirin/Asahi/Sapporo at 95+% of establishments. Hell, it is easier to find some Japanese micros outside Japan than in it. I actually took up drinking whiskey when I lived there (A++ would do again) because after a few months of nothing but the Big Three I felt like I had to rebel.

I briefly considered homebrewing in my postage stamp of an apartment but found out it's still illegal (anything over 1% ABV isn't allowed :japan:). Not that they're kicking in doors to bust people, but it kills the availability and convenience of ingredients.

Order yourself some 'Oz tops' basically a little package of specially constructed coke bottle caps and two yeast strains. Costs about $20 and let's you make a very passable %7 fruit wine/cider with fruit juice and a 2 lite coke bottle with no chance of infection/contamination.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

Echoing what others have said, whiskey in Japan and Taiwan is fantastic. Taiwan gets bonus points for practically giving imported single malt Scotch away.

Beer in Taiwan is pretty OK. Taiwan Beer for the longest time only had two varieties, Classic and Gold. I was really into Gold for awhile, especially after leaving Korea (the worst beer on earth), but it's lost some of its appeal to me recently. But that's OK because the import market blew up and now Belgian beers and IPAs are everywhere. I'm not really a fan of either of those styles, but Taiwanese businesses understand how to compete and innovate, so Taiwan Beer has been putting a bunch of new varieties out on the market and some of them are really good.

Meanwhile in Thailand, the local liquor is poison and Chang gives me the worst hangovers I've ever had. But Leo is drat good.

Beer Lao is also widely available. I actually prefer the classic to the dark, but Beer Lao Gold owns both and it's basically everywhere in Bangkok now.

I was in Thailand when beer Chang was a new thing to try -- back then you usually bought it because it was 7.2% instead of 7% for Thai brand and hoity toity Singa with its additional few baht and lower percentage.

There are probably other countries that do this but often if you smelled a Thai domestic right after opening it you'd get this huge hit of, like, formaldehyde, I assume from what was put in the beer to keep it from skunking in some truck parked in a Bangkok street for hours between deliveries because of the traffic.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Haier posted:

Would you kiss your own child on eyes with the herp going? Google that and get back to me.
I don't care that it's common. I care that Chinese have noooo loving clue what it is, and think it's because of some TCM bullshit. I recently talked to a Chinese woman that studied virology in Europe, and she was lamenting how awareness for any kind if illness, virus, or disease in China is impossible because of TCM thought pervading everyone's brains. She said she spent 6 years in Europe and, when she returned, even her own parents wouldn't listen to her. Since everything in China is rooted in "us versus them" mentality, of course anything non-Chinese is going to be shat on by lies or general mistrust. On top of this, the whole "Foreigners all have disease, while Chinese just have symptoms of imbalance."

From what I've read the eye infection is super uncommon and is more common in adults than kids. So while cold sores are gross I'm not stressed about it.

You're right that TCM bullshit is bad, but I've met enough people from enough countries to know that a lack of understanding of disease and transmission is not uniquely Chinese and raging about it is a waste of energy.

It turns out most people don't know poo poo about health.

Edit: From doing more reading it doesn't appear that you get herpes in your eye through contact. The virus enters your body and then goes dormant in your nerves and when it activates it has a very minor chance of going up to the eye. But just because someone with a cold sore gets near an eye doesn't mean the eye is at greater risk. And like I said you still shed the virus when there are no visible symptoms.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 5, 2017

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Being clueless is one thing, having a bogus system to explain why monkey dick tea cures everything is another.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

JaucheCharly posted:

Being clueless is one thing, having a bogus system to explain why monkey dick tea cures everything is another.

*Looks into wooden drawer built into a wall full of dried monkey dicks

*Dried monkey dick smell is overpowering

I don't know man this is starting to make a lot of sense. Also if I admit it's bullshit at this point it's like I'm scoring an own-goal against my race...

*Hundreds of other drawers are built into the wall

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

Dried monkey dick smell

How do I get a tattoo of this in Chinese

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I knew a Thai girl in NYC and one of her principal complaints against the Chinese was that when she was a girl she would wait for the bus to school outside of a Chinese medicine shop and the stink of all the wretched poo poo they sold in there would pour out over the bus waiting area. Thai people are very sensitive about bad smells so I imagine a dozen or so Thai schoolkids out there, lined up in the shade of a single light pole, with a handkerchief or the shoulder of their shirt pulled up over their nose, one or two of them hitting their menthol inhalers fiendishly, while some bag eyed old Chinese woman and her useless husband sit behind the counter inside, unmoving, like pinned beatles.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 5, 2017

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Gorilla Salad posted:

What do small Tibetan villages do for food?

I've always wondered how tiny towns surrounded by ice and bare rock manage.

Village are mostly organized around farming barley in most of Tibet. These days some new world crops like corn and potatoes do well too, and at lower altitudes you have more options. The places with ice and bare rock are mostly reserved for nomads, who eat yak and barter for barley from farming villages. The staple food through pretty much all of Tibetan history was tsampa, roasted ground barley.

Also about eye gouging: Not that anyone's eyes should be gouged out, but China lies its rear end off about how things worked in pre-PRC Tibet. They want to make it sound like you couldn't walk down the street without getting your eyes gouged out, when in fact the last time it was carried out as a punishment they couldn't find anyone alive who had done it before. Common sense, people- if there were multitudes of eyeless Tibetans, the PRC would have paraded them around as a propaganda tool for the rest of their lives, and statues would be erected in front of the Jokhang as proof of the merciless Dalai regime.

Tibet definitely had a bad record with corporal punishment, torture, and mutilation in the past, but the butchers in Beijing who ordered the 'peaceful' liberation of Tibet, who committed ethnic cleansing in the Golog region of Tibet after their invasion, who starved Tibetans to death at an even higher rate than Chinese during the Great Leap Forward, brought the Cultural Revolution to Tibet and have continued to torture Tibetans to death in prison up to this very day don't get to say a single word about it.

Some recent cases of Tibetans tortured to death in prison, or sent home in critical condition following torture and beatings shortly before they passed away:

Torture and Impunity posted:

On April 10, 2009, an incident occurred which led to Goshul Lobsang’s detention. Although details are sketchy of the circumstances, it appears that Goshul Lobsang and some other Tibetans challenged some of the armed forces about their presence and methods. When Goshul Lobsang and another Tibetan named as Dakpa were detained, local people managed to argue with the armed forces and to secure their release. Although the paramilitary forces then backed down slightly from the township, officials demanded the detention of ‘leading separatists’ including Goshul Lobsang, and demanded that they were handed in by local people.

Goshul Lobsang and several others remained in hiding in the mountains for some time, until 2010, when he decided to return to normal life. He told one of his friends that if he were to be caught again, then he would bear the consequences.

He was detained in June, 2010, and spent five months in the main detention center in Machu. According to a Tibetan source familiar with the case, he was subjected to intensive interrogation, brutality, and deprivation of both sleep and food. On November 26, 2010, Goshul Lobsang was sentenced to ten years in prison and transferred to Dingxi city in Gansu province. At his trial, he was said to be in such a critical condition that he had to be supported by two police officers.

In November 2013, Goshul Lobsang’s health took a turn for the worst and the authorities decided to release him so that he would not die in custody. Despite making every effort to provide him with medical treatment, Goshul Lobsang was not even able to swallow food and did not recover.

Tibetan sources said that: “[At the end] he could not say anything, but simply folded his hands and died.” He leaves his mother, wife, and a teenage son and daughter.

Another one:

Thupten Lektsog was born in Meldrogungkar (Chinese: Mozhu Gongka), Lhasa municipality, the Tibet Autonomous Region. Together with other monks from his monastery, he participated in the demonstrations in Lhasa in 1989, displaying the Tibetan national flag. During the following crackdown and imposition of martial law in Tibet’s capital, Thubten Lektsog was arrested and they were subjected to brutal torture in Gutsa detention center in Lhasa. He was later sentenced to three years in prison, where he continued to be tortured. Thubten Lektsog’s hands and legs were broken, he was beaten so badly that he vomited blood and lost consciousness, and he eventually became paralysed. He died at his home in January, 2010.

One more, this one goes out to the guy on the last page who said China's annexation of Tibet isn't a problem to him:

A Tibetan source who was in Lhasa after the incident and spoke to Tibetans who know Tendar said: “The injury didn’t appear to be life-threatening. I was told that he was taken to the Lhasa General Hospital that is run by the People’s Liberation Army. While he was at the hospital, a team of four to five Chinese security personnel visited him every four to six hours. During those times they took turns in beating him while interrogating him about his involvement [in the March 14 protests]. They were using iron rods and cigarette butts to burn his skin. He was tortured repeatedly and his condition deteriorated rapidly.”

At this time, none of Tendar’s family or friends knew where he was, a pattern consistent with the wave of disappearances that took place after March 14, and that is still occurring in some areas. Through connections, Tendar’s family managed to locate him. When they were allowed to visit, he was “in shock, and in excruciating pain. Every movement of his body would cause him to scream with pain”, said the same Tibetan source. He was unable to walk and his body appeared to be paralysed from the waist down. Tendar said that he had witnessed a Tibetan monk at the hospital being beaten to death with iron bars by security personnel. He begged to be taken home.

Tendar spent 20 days in hospital and his condition continued to deteriorate. He became unconscious, and medical staff told his family that there was nothing more they could do for him. Tendar’s family had to pay a medical bill of 90,000 yuan ($13,000) before they could take him home.

Tendar died at home 13 days later, on June 19, 2008.

There's something really special about people who accuse the current Dalai Lama of committing crimes that took place before he was even born, but don't care about stuff like this. A few years back I met Palden Gyatso, a Tibetan monk who was tortured for years in a Chinese prison. All of his teeth fell out after guards stuck an electric cattle prod in his mouth and turned it on. Just insanely hosed up. Chinese people have an excuse for not understanding the Tibet issue, because their government has gone to great lengths to build this alternate reality over there. As laowai, we don't have this excuse.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ho god reading those UCSD comments is slowly turning me white and then Republican, in that order
Please send help
The best are the random white boys giving them backup

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I feel we're being a bit too kind to Japan now, after all, a people that gently caress up vodka ain't all that.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Ho god reading those UCSD comments is slowly turning me white and then Republican, in that order
Please send help
The best are the random white boys giving them backup
Hey now, hatin' on China isn't a partisan issue; it's something that anyone can do, even Maoists can do it!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Must read toothless American hicks on Facebook...as...antidote
Link me to...your...dumb rear end...grandmas

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ohhh nooooooo there's a "love it or leave it" bumper sticker on my car now it's too late!!!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

some bag eyed old Chinese woman and her useless husband sit behind the counter inside, unmoving, like pinned beatles.

Which one? John, Paul, George, or Ringo?

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

A few years back I met Palden Gyatso, a Tibetan monk who was tortured for years in a Chinese prison. All of his teeth fell out after guards stuck an electric cattle prod in his mouth and turned it on. Just insanely hosed up.

drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

There's something really special about people who accuse the current Dalai Lama of committing crimes that took place before he was even born. . .

Uhh. . . he totally is responsible for stuff that happened back then.

• Locked thread