Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

It seems like they have a lot of ideas about what they might want but aren't committing enough to anything.

They want progression so they lock the multi-purpose room... even though it's pretty much required for bases and you won't chance across one too early.

They have a glove slot which serves no purpose other than you need to put a radiation suit glove in there.

The knife only loses durability because they wanted you to have a reason to upgrade it... though no one thought to show durability where another object would show its battery power, so unless you're checking it in your inventory all the time it's a crapshoot when it might go out.

Without more content all of those things are just annoyances and I hope they have better ideas before 1.0

I specifically dont bother upgrading my knife because its just going to break anyway. So if thats the reason it breaks that is hilarously stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

Is the knife the only piece of equipment that breaks from use, and does it still do that?

That was one of the stupidest things and the bug where it didnt was one of the best. What was even the bloody point of that nonsense

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

It seems like they have a lot of ideas about what they might want but aren't committing enough to anything.

They want progression so they lock the multi-purpose room... even though it's pretty much required for bases and you won't chance across one too early.

They have a glove slot which serves no purpose other than you need to put a radiation suit glove in there.

The knife only loses durability because they wanted you to have a reason to upgrade it... though no one thought to show durability where another object would show its battery power, so unless you're checking it in your inventory all the time it's a crapshoot when it might go out.

Without more content all of those things are just annoyances and I hope they have better ideas before 1.0

:airquote: "Survival games" Also upgrading the knife still leaves you with a subnautica strength knife. Even trying to use the thermal blade on something stationary like a tiger plant takes a shitload of swings (do you still get hurt by it's stationary thorns despite hitting it with the stasis gun first?)

The biggest annoyance to me when they eventually get around to partially removing terraforming will be tiger plants. As terrain deformation from blasting them with the repulsion gun got rid of them. But with their "When we disable the player terraforming gun, that's essentially terraforming removed :pseudo:" half assing it intentions, that's still enough to leave tiger plants nigh invulnerable pains in the asses until you are attacking plants with an exo suit.

I really, really hope whatever the do to "Fix" terrain isn't wholly based on "Just keep players from accessing the terraforming features". As the game still suffered plenty of slowdown bloat even if you never touched the terraforming gun still got blamed on/not discredited by the devs as "Wait till they fix terrain physics".

Most you get from the devs on that front is standard disclaimer "Now, this might not actually help performance at all as much as you think.", but still with over a year riding the "Shut up about performance, wait until terraforming fixes are in" train.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 5, 2017

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
The game isn't supposed to stop responding and then crash 10 seconds after loading your save, is it? Cause that's what happens now.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
You can have a garden of tiger plants with the reinforced dive suit.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Has anyone found the dive reel any use? In theory it should be great. But it just does not have the right functionality.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Lonos Oboe posted:

Has anyone found the dive reel any use? In theory it should be great. But it just does not have the right functionality.

Dive reel, pipes, and air bladder are all easily skippable. The pipes might be more interesting if they were twice as long.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Paracelsus posted:

Dive reel, pipes, and air bladder are all easily skippable. The pipes might be more interesting if they were twice as long.

I found the bladder pretty useful at the start. I never bothered with the pipes though. The exploration is too mobile for that. Such a shame, they updated the dive reel and I was just wondering "why bother?"

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

Air bladder is the only one of these I'd argue (for a beginner). I actually ended up using it a lot in the last game because gating the other equipment means I'm relying on the seaglide, and the bladder is the quickest way to the surface when both your batteries and O2 are low. I suppose the pipes would serve a similar purpose but it feels like I'm never in the same place long enough to justify that. Of course the more you get used to speeding through the tech the less useful it becomes, but I keep it on me for emergencies and it's saved me more than once when things went south (like when adding the moonpool drained the base power and shut off the O2, necessitating a rush to the surface).

I used to use the dive reel but it was just janky enough to get you killed when you tried relying on it, and after a while I figured out which caves were dangerous and how to get around in them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It'd be nice if the air pipes were flexible. Maybe combine it with the dive reel so you can explore wrecks and caves with a tether. Of course, I've been watching lots of Astroneer lately so I think oxygen tethers are awesome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The air bladder substantially improves your ascend ability allowing you to dive significantly deeper than you otherwise could.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Air bladder is really cheap to make and uses only one inventory slot. It's great before you get the seamoth or get a way to recharge batteries for the seaglide.

I used it in the red grass area a lot.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Air Bladder was really handy for saving energy on ascent before they unfucked the battery capacity on the seaglide.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Section Z posted:

The biggest annoyance to me when they eventually get around to partially removing terraforming will be tiger plants. As terrain deformation from blasting them with the repulsion gun got rid of them. But with their "When we disable the player terraforming gun, that's essentially terraforming removed :pseudo:" half assing it intentions, that's still enough to leave tiger plants nigh invulnerable pains in the asses until you are attacking plants with an exo suit.
You can pick them up and throw them with the propulsion gun as well. This also works for those rear end in a top hat jellyfish plants that hang from ceilings.

(it's also my favorite way of dealing with biters and those eyeball crabs)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

U.T. Raptor posted:

You can pick them up and throw them with the propulsion gun as well. This also works for those rear end in a top hat jellyfish plants that hang from ceilings.

(it's also my favorite way of dealing with biters and those eyeball crabs)

Huh, for some reason I just assumed tiger plants would be "Too big" to pick up. That and my attempts to catch and throw back throrns never accidentally grabbing them in the process. Handy to know.

I've run dry many batteries using the Propulsion gun on droopstingers though. Particularly in the abandoned undersea lab "Oh my god how the gently caress is this place 90% droop stingers?"

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

you ok there buddy?

Also, does anyone know how to get into this room in the Aurora wreck?

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/156900368357860767/97B95637F3D6433209F1FEDCB74691E2CD827B26/

It's next to the room with the Gorge plushy and other stuff. Obviously it's a code lock, but none of the PDAs I found seemed to mention it

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 8, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Unsurprisingly the official forums have come down on the side of knife breaking being good and necessary and in fact all the other items in the game should break from use as well.

One person suggested that maybe it just dulls and gets less good and can be sharpened occassionally for a boost though which seems like a good middle ground to me between normal people and weirdos, but no one else but me liked the idea at all since then "we wouldnt have anything to do with our diamonds and modding stations" and "we wouldnt have anything to craft in the game" lol

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 8, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

But having the metabolism of a diabetic hummingbird whose tools are made out of tinfoil and cardboard is the pinnacle of survival game design! :v:

I like the idea of honing a dulled blade. It's just replenishing another (invisibly draining) meter and it's something that people do in the real world but apparently the average survival game player would rather spend all day long doing busywork.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
I was in a bit of a funk last week, lacking a new game to play, and ended up buying this on Saturday. I had no idea that it was as large as it is, I just figured it would be resource gathering and hunting with a spear gun (it is weird to have an underwater game without a spear gun, but I get why they did things this way). So the things like the alien artifacts, base building, and buildable vehicles have really impressed me.

Had a great first experience wandering out of the Safe Shallows into the Kelp Forest. The view of the kelp itself, plus the Reefbacks sauntering by, plus the sound of it all, was just amazing. Then I got eaten by something (from behind, probably a stalker).

I've been slowly gathering up the materials (not to mention courage) to take a stab at the Aurora. I have the seaglide, laser cutter, and 2/3 of the seamoth fragments. Do I really need the propulsion gun to explore the Aurora? I seem to see equal numbers of posts claiming one way or the other, and it may be something that's changed with patches.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
WTF do you even use the knife for except for getting plant cuttings, who cares how strong it is.

Capn Jobe posted:

I've been slowly gathering up the materials (not to mention courage) to take a stab at the Aurora. I have the seaglide, laser cutter, and 2/3 of the seamoth fragments. Do I really need the propulsion gun to explore the Aurora? I seem to see equal numbers of posts claiming one way or the other, and it may be something that's changed with patches.
You absolutely need the propulsion cannon to punt some boxes out of the way of both entrances to the internals. You need a laser cutter to get at the prawn suit and storage upgrade. You can explore a bit without the cannon and pick up a PDA but most of the stuff is locked behind it.

You can get the cannon recipe from inside all the little boxes scattered about the aurora area (and in other areas in general sometimes). If they're open on one side they sometimes have a scanable part.

Cicadalek posted:

Also, does anyone know how to get into this room in the Aurora wreck?
The wiki says you can't yet. It's for a future patch and contains the rocket launch pad (that they talk about in the aurora data after you download it) which presumably ends the game when built.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 8, 2017

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Capn Jobe posted:

You didn't mention it, but I assume you have a radiation suit as well? And yeah I would say you need the propulsion cannon if you want to fully explore the wreck in one go. Don't bother bringing (a lot of) water or medkits cause you should find plenty in the supply crates around there.

edit: I forgot to mention, bring a welder.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 8, 2017

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Bhodi posted:

WTF do you even use the knife for except for getting plant cuttings, who cares how strong it is.

LOL if you can't circle-strafe four sandsharks to death with the basic knife.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

scuba school sucks posted:

LOL if you can't circle-strafe four sandsharks to death with the basic knife.

username/post combo bonus

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Every post of his in this thread is a username/post combo.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

quote:

I want everything to break!! Random failures if you don't maintain your sub!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I hope there's a mode for people with actual jobs and don't want to experience soul-crushing tedium in their escapist fantasies.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The only way I can enjoy games is if everything in them is a greater failure than me

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Away all Goats posted:

You didn't mention it, but I assume you have a radiation suit as well? And yeah I would say you need the propulsion cannon if you want to fully explore the wreck in one go. Don't bother bringing (a lot of) water or medkits cause you should find plenty in the supply crates around there.

edit: I forgot to mention, bring a welder.

Yeah I've got the radsuit and the welder. Well, guess I'll take some time exploring some of the biomes then, see if I can't dig up the propulsion cannon in the meantime.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I hope there's a mode for people with actual jobs and don't want to experience soul-crushing tedium in their escapist fantasies.

Don't play Elite: Dangerous. They even make the mission timers run on real-life real time timers just in case you were thinking you could play here and there and still get somewhere.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GlyphGryph posted:

"I want everything to break!! Random failures if you don't maintain your sub!"

What does that even mean? Do you have to whack at the inner walls with a hammer so often or it breaks down? gently caress.

I feel compelled to babysit that forum.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

My base got damaged somehow and I'm not sure what caused it. An impact with a big creature? At least I was able to fix the leak.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Reinforcement issue?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
99% of my base damage comes from me accidentally tapping it with the Cyclops.

Can tiger plants hurt the base?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Thor-Stryker posted:

99% of my base damage comes from me accidentally tapping it with the Cyclops.

Can tiger plants hurt the base?

I have had my base destroyed by a tiger plant that sensed me through the walls

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

You can use the console to spawn poo poo in. Which I admit to doing when I just dumped my 16 hour save file for the new update. There is a command that spawns some raw resources and a few items. It saved me about an hour of busy work.

I know, I am anathema.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bhodi posted:

You absolutely need the propulsion cannon to punt some boxes out of the way of both entrances to the internals. You need a laser cutter to get at the prawn suit and storage upgrade. You can explore a bit without the cannon and pick up a PDA but most of the stuff is locked behind it.

You can get the cannon recipe from inside all the little boxes scattered about the aurora area (and in other areas in general sometimes). If they're open on one side they sometimes have a scanable part.

The wiki says you can't yet. It's for a future patch and contains the rocket launch pad (that they talk about in the aurora data after you download it) which presumably ends the game when built.

You absolutely don't need anything but a scanner, a welder and a radiation suit to get into the Aurora.

You can just enter from the back of the ship, run through the fire above the first part with a bunch of boxes stopping you and drop down. You take about thirty damage.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Bringing a fire extinguisher makes it more fun though and a propulsion cannon more satisfying

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

GlyphGryph posted:

Bringing a fire extinguisher makes it more fun though and a propulsion cannon more satisfying

There's plenty of fire extinguishers right there, and you get one during the intro cutscene anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

You absolutely don't need anything but a scanner, a welder and a radiation suit to get into the Aurora.

You can just enter from the back of the ship, run through the fire above the first part with a bunch of boxes stopping you and drop down. You take about thirty damage.

I think you need a laser cutter to get into all the compartments.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

There's plenty of fire extinguishers right there, and you get one during the intro cutscene anyway.

Yeah i just meant bringing the one from the intro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

I think you need a laser cutter to get into all the compartments.

Yeah, you need a laser cutter to fully explore it, but there's plenty to grab with just a welder, including sealing off the leak.

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah i just meant bringing the one from the intro

You don't technically need the fire extinguisher, you can just tank the damage with the first aid kits lying about the Aurora. It makes things easier, but the fire above the propulsion cannon boxes is glitched anyway, so you got to just run through it.