Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
After seeing enough posts like "Kid Icarus is the best 3DS game", I bought it. It seems like it's a lot deeper than I ever would have expected otherwise.

Did it get released at the same time as Smash 4? They have the same menu/progressive difficulty thing going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

dirby posted:

After seeing enough posts like "Kid Icarus is the best 3DS game", I bought it. It seems like it's a lot deeper than I ever would have expected otherwise.

Did it get released at the same time as Smash 4? They have the same menu/progressive difficulty thing going on.

Same project director. See also the similarities to the challenge unlocks and UI way back in Kirby Air Ride.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DoctorWhat posted:

With the Joycons, what you're describing is a Kamen Rider belt.

Yeah, I just wasn't sure how many people outside the toku thread would get the reference :v:

Also, Nintendo is really shooting themselves in the foot if they don't find a way to cross-promote the Switch with Kamen Rider EX-Aid while the timing is right.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

jivjov posted:

Same project director. See also the similarities to the challenge unlocks and UI way back in Kirby Air Ride.

And Meteos! Sakurai loves his menu screens.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

And Kirby Superstar for that matter

Apparently his wife designs menus for his games

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kirby Superstar better be there on VC from day one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Kirby Superstar better be there on VC from day one.

You're getting Pinball with input delay and muddy visuals.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
1 year in Nintendo celebrates the anniversary of the Switch by releasing Mario 3 on VC

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

I got my copy of Poochy & Yoshi early. :dance:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pureauthor posted:

That said I fully expect a 'handheld successor' to be a Switch with a better form factor for portable gaming.

This is the only option that isn't completely idiotic, which is why I'm scared they might not do it. :ohdear:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I got my Yoshi Woolly World+Poochy amiibo today, ahead of schedule? Thanks Amazon. Also the amiibo is cute as poo poo, get it.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I have an eshop card to burn. If I suck at platformers and yet am charmed as hell by Woolly World, will I still enjoy it? Mellow Mode isn't too hard?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you don't care about collecting everything then Woolly World is pretty easy, and I think the mellow mode in the 3DS versions turns your eggs into Poochy pups that tell you where all the collectible are anyhow.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mellow mode also gives you wings or is that a different mode?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Aerofallosov posted:

I have an eshop card to burn. If I suck at platformers and yet am charmed as hell by Woolly World, will I still enjoy it? Mellow Mode isn't too hard?

Yeah you will, and Mellow Mode is probably too easy. The base game on Wii U was easy enough just about up to the end, where it gets like "midgame Mario" hard. The platforming is almost never difficult, it's more puzzles and exploration than fast/tricky platforming.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

Mellow mode also gives you wings or is that a different mode?

Yup, that's Mellow Mode.

enojy posted:

Yeah you will, and Mellow Mode is probably too easy. The base game on Wii U was easy enough just about up to the end, where it gets like "midgame Mario" hard. The platforming is almost never difficult, it's more puzzles and exploration than fast/tricky platforming.

Going from A-B in most levels is pretty easy, but if you try for all the Flowers and Wool Bundles the game will throw a real challenge at you if you aren't playing Mellow Mode.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Did anyone mention Yokai Watch 2 finally has a EU release date? You can toss your Pokemon carts in the trash on April 7.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Did anyone mention Yokai Watch 2 finally has a EU release date? You can toss your Pokemon carts in the trash on April 7.

Well, Yokai Watch 1 sold as well or even better in the EU than in Japan, at least according to Nintendo's presentation at the start of the week. Who knows if the momentum is still there.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I'm abjectly awful at platformers and Yoshi's Woolly World is adorable and great. It's fun, the music is cute, the whole handmade theme is awesome.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Why does the badge rabbit offer photos of amiibos in boxes and out of them?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Because if you take it out of its box it loses value

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

Terminally Bored posted:

Is DQVIII a good starting point if I never played a Dragon Quest game before?

Pretty much yeah, DQIX is one of the best in my opinion personally.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dr Cheeto posted:

Because if you take it out of its box it loses value

No, if you take it out of the box, you gain value.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I would definitely pay more for a twilight princess link that had been through the shadow dungeon than one new in box.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I've been slowly working through Yoshi's Woolly World, Sun and DQ7. Yoshi's Woolly World is wonderful, and the poochies are my friends. DQ7 is indeed, very, very slowly paced.

Spoilers for DQ7:

Oh my gaaaaawd, Maribel drives me nuts.

Also, the thing with Maeve just - made me really kind of sad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
US dudes, check your Walmarts - some guy got SMT4 Apocalypse for $3: http://imgur.com/ekwu4uT

EDIT; Walmart's doing lots of discounts this weekend, apparently, particularly on Wii U/3DS stuff. Shovel Knight's as cheap as $7.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 5, 2017

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Some cheap rear end pies too

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

US dudes, check your Walmarts - some guy got SMT4 Apocalypse for $3: http://imgur.com/ekwu4uT

EDIT; Walmart's doing lots of discounts this weekend, apparently, particularly on Wii U/3DS stuff. Shovel Knight's as cheap as $7.

I'd wager they're probably purging shelf space for Switch stuff.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd wager they're probably purging shelf space for Switch stuff.

Then they should get rid of their Vita and Xbox One sections.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

If you don't already have it Shovel Knight was a steal at the $14.99 I paid for digital. It is just so absolutely perfect and easily my favorite game since the N64 was the current gen console out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I am digging fantasy life. It's not particularly hard but it does have a lot of busy work. Kinda scratches that MMO itch. I see how the gating works, too. I can't advance any further as a cook until I find new food items that I suspect will be in town #2.

Also, can you miss quests? I had one that I didn't take because it was a different life path and now it isn't being offered.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Noticed that MyNintendo offers a discount on Rhythm Heaven Megamix so I decided to pick it up. It's the usual great minigame goodness but where are the remix songs? That was the best part of previous games. :(

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

chinese barbecue porp posted:

Noticed that MyNintendo offers a discount on Rhythm Heaven Megamix so I decided to pick it up. It's the usual great minigame goodness but where are the remix songs? That was the best part of previous games. :(

They're there. Just spread out. It's a very big game.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Alright that is good to know.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

I am digging fantasy life. It's not particularly hard but it does have a lot of busy work. Kinda scratches that MMO itch. I see how the gating works, too. I can't advance any further as a cook until I find new food items that I suspect will be in town #2.

Also, can you miss quests? I had one that I didn't take because it was a different life path and now it isn't being offered.

I don't think you can miss anything, it's probably just that most quests only appear during a specific time of day.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

chinese barbecue porp posted:

Alright that is good to know.
Don't spend your coins until you clear the story. The last gate toll is ridiculous.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Don't spend your coins until you clear the story. The last gate toll is ridiculous.

Yeah any story mode toll gate you get to, just go the easiest version.

Last gate is redonkadonk from memory

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The easy gate is the most expensive to try. 50 gold on the last one.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I tried the hard mode coin flip and decided that maybe Goldilocks approach is the best.

Also that microbe fork game rules :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Waltzing Along posted:

Yup, that's exactly how the gating works. You can try switching jobs if you're not ready to advance the story yet, but at some point you'll have to make actual story progress if you want to level jobs anymore. Also definitely pick up Angler if you plan on maining Cook. Some fish you can buy, but the rarer ones you have to catch yourself.

I don't think any quests are missable, but the NPCs that offer them might be in different spots at different times of the day.