Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smilehigh
Nov 2, 2010

RUUUUUNNNNNNNN

Magnus Manfist posted:

I wouldn't even say it's you need a resisting opponent to "test" technique, you need one to learn.

Live sparring arts say you learn a technique by drilling it 1000x, and alongside that you learn to use it against a real opponent by live sparring 1000x (within whatever ruleset). Being able to e.g. hit a bag with perfect technique is only one component of being able to hit an actual person.

Non- live sparring arts think that you learn a technique by drilling it 1000x, and then you'll be able to use it. You might want to test this a couple of times with light sparring or whatever, but it doesn't need to be a regular part of your training. This is false. It's like learning basketball by just practising free throws, without ever playing an actual game against people who are actually trying to take the ball off you and score, and assuming you'll be fine if you ever get into a real game. You won't! Even if your technique is theoretically pretty good you aren't going to get a shot off against people with a decent amount of actual live playing experience, because you've never learned to.

The problem is, like when I did Wing Chun a while back, people thought they were learning how to fight without practising actually fighting. I tried out boxing, sparred for the first time, and none of the stuff I'd spent years learning stopped me getting punched in the face. I very genuinely believed it would! Glad I learned otherwise in a controlled setting with gloves and a gumshield.

I agree 1000x with this. When our guys are first allowed to start sparring the only thing they do is have to defend against someone throwing straights, seems easy enough but I guarantee you almost all of them just get punched a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

That's a fine analogy that I am going to steal for the future.

Anecdotally, when I started learning JKD at a school that was busy phasing out of it, I'd spar with a guy that would constantly try to trap.

The amount of times I harshly hit that man in the face would make you think that he would have gathered enough evidence that no, it doesn't work against a guy who had been "fighting" for a quarter of the time comparatively... but nope, the Kool Aid was thoroughly consumed.

I love JKD but there's too many people that want to believe in the magic rather than the principles.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Manfist posted:

Hey dude - this thread more or less descends into slapfights anytime something other than brazilian jiu-jitsu is mentioned (though bjj is extremely cool). But there are actually a lot of people here who know a lot. I did Wing Chun for about 4 years as a teenager (since then boxing and bjj). Personally I would not do Wing Chun again and kind of wish to hell I'd spent that time on judo or something and had a super solid base of grappling and movement - but that is entirely down to what I personally want.

You'd get useful answers if you went a bit into what you're looking for. Are you interested in self defence? A sport that involves fighting? A general workout? Something that looks cool? Balance and flexibility, or the mental side of things? Tried any martial arts before? Sports in general?

You can get good advice here but "should I do aikido" is not really an answerable question. Should I play baseball?
That's fair, I guess I should have known what I wanted before I asked

The answers people gave me helped me think about it though

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Magnus Manfist posted:

Hey dude - this thread more or less descends into slapfights anytime something other than brazilian jiu-jitsu is mentioned (though bjj is extremely cool).

Not really.

Wrestling, muay thai, boxing, judo, sambo, fencing etc all get discussed sans slapfight.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Nobody strikes any more and all of us sword nerds made a thread for ourselves. :(

(Fencing is cool & good, incidentally.)

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I don't strike anymore because I moved a while ago but if I move back I will strike again

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Kekekela posted:

Not really.

Wrestling, muay thai, boxing, judo, sambo, fencing etc all get discussed sans slapfight.

And anyone proficient in any of the above (minus fencing) would wreck anyone proficient in Akido 999 out of 1000, which begs the point, what is the point in learning Akido? It doesn't even look as good as some of the other don't work but look pretty martial arts.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Kekekela posted:

Not really.

Yeah I know I was being a dick

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Is there a brand of hand wraps that don't fall apart after two weeks of use?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

And anyone proficient in any of the above (minus fencing) would wreck anyone proficient in Akido 999 out of 1000, which begs the point, what is the point in learning Akido? It doesn't even look as good as some of the other don't work but look pretty martial arts.

Because some poo poo is fun and people like things other than the things other people like. Not everyone signs up for a martial arts class to meet a nurse who will inject them with steroids so that they can do cocaine and wreck drunks at the club.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Because some poo poo is fun and people like things other than the things other people like.

:yeah:

Seriously, some stuff is just fun to do. I stuck with Chun and FMA til I got fed up with the school itself, because the drills and games where fun even though they had very little if any practical application.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I have a set of title brand ones that haven't fallen apart yet, but your results may vary.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 5, 2017

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Pryor on Fire posted:

How are you cleaning them? I've used four pair on and off for years and they're OK.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I have a delicates bag I put them in and then the washer, air dry. Stitching is falling apart on both the brands I tried. Need better wraps I think. Or maybe I just hit so loving hard the gear needs to catch up? Probably that actually.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pryor on Fire posted:

I have a delicates bag I put them in and then the washer, air dry. Stitching is falling apart on both the brands I tried. Need better wraps I think. Or maybe I just hit so loving hard the gear needs to catch up? Probably that actually.

What brand are you buying? I've tried plenty of brands and never had the problems your'e describing. Maybe I had one or two defective pairs, but I just stitched em back together and never thought about em again.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I have tried meister and everlast, both are coming apart. The stitiching just comes loose on the mesiters which I can sew back in, but in addition to stitching falling out the everlast wraps started tearing near the velcro.

So who makes the best wraps today?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pryor on Fire posted:

I have tried meister and everlast, both are coming apart. The stitiching just comes loose on the mesiters which I can sew back in, but in addition to stitching falling out the everlast wraps started tearing near the velcro.

So who makes the best wraps today?

The Everlast wraps I've used are actually poo poo, but that was because they were made of like nylon or some crap and they were too short. I never used them enough to have them break down.

I've used Top Ten, Green Hill, Ringside, and "Kimurawear" wraps which all seemed more or less identical besides the patch on them. Depending on how you wrap your hands, the Rival ones can be pretty nice too, but they have really big logos on them and double-wide velcro strps, which can interfere and get bulky.

Look for a 180" "Mexican"-style wrap, which is an elastic wrap.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I used ringside, the Mexican style with thumb hooks and I think more flexible synthetic fiber in the weave than normal.

Idk they held up well under the same washing routine for six months before I stowed them to go back to BJJ.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Cool so confirmed after three weeks of boxing I hit like a truck and the gear needs to catch up to my skills. Get on my level scrubs.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Related question for the thread, then -

I want to bulk order some tape for BJJ/Judo to get my cost per roll down below $5, as I use a ton of it (partly because I share with everyone). I've been getting "Athletic" tape from a sporting goods store, which I like because it's a little elastic (thus good for my fingers) as opposed to "Hockey" tape, which is stiff as poo poo, but quite a bit cheaper. Medical tape sucks rear end and slides off as soon as I start to sweat.

Now I know internationally it's hard to give recommendations for sites, but maybe you can help me with the keywords for searching for the right stuff. I've been looking at boxing suppliers today, and their "Corner" and "Gym" tape seems like it's reasonably priced ($3/roll) but I have no idea of it's stiff or flexible. What kind of finger tape do you guys use?

Bonus points if you know of a reasonablly priced type/brand which is already less than 1/2 inch wide so I don't have to spend time cutting it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I got two pairs of Everlast 180" wraps that lasted forever, but rebuying Everlast didn't help.
Trying other wrap brands has also been fruitless -- most are not elastic enough to unfold/dewrinkle themselves from handwashing and wringing, which means they take longer to put on.
I tried this one pair of bamboo fiber wraps that are both not stretchy enough initially and too loose once you take them off.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

CommonShore posted:

Not everyone signs up for a martial arts class to meet a nurse who will inject them with steroids so that they can do cocaine and wreck drunks at the club.

That's not why I signed up, but thanks for reminding me how much fun I'm having, it's weird seeing it written down so simply.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ringside, rival, and green hill stretchy wraps have all worked for me and not disintegrated after 4 uses

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I heard there used to be a guy that visited my gym occasionally who also complained about his wraps falling apart. His name was Conor. Conor McGregor. Funny thing though: apparently he only had this problem with his left hand. I'm having it with both hands. You might be talking to a loving god in the making, tread carefully you little twerps.

Up to week four in boxing!

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Where do you train my liege?

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
My autistic teammate won his first ever kickboxing match yesterday by TKO. It was just a local smoker, but he's been excited to fight for a while so we were super pumped for him. The highlights of the match was him sprinting to the ring ala ultimate warrior style once his name was called and his victory speech which was just him shouting unintelligible poo poo in to the mic and doing the Ric Flair "WOOOO" at the end. We had a good laugh.

What I really wanted to share was that the event had an all female judges panel and I thought that was awesome.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I heard there used to be a guy that visited my gym occasionally who also complained about his wraps falling apart. His name was Conor. Conor McGregor. Funny thing though: apparently he only had this problem with his left hand. I'm having it with both hands. You might be talking to a loving god in the making, tread carefully you little twerps.

Up to week four in boxing!
seriously though - a delicates mesh bag for your wraps is a game changer. That is until you get sponsored and get your wraps for free, which sounds like it won't be long so forget my advice.

CommonShore posted:

Related question for the thread, then -

Bonus points if you know of a reasonablly priced type/brand which is already less than 1/2 inch wide so I don't have to spend time cutting it.
good timing - I just ordered this yesterday. I don't need bulk but it's the only one on amazon.ca I found and I figured my gym mates would want to grab some. This one you can order by the roll but they don't ship to Canada and the price point isn't the best.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Go on that dude!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bangkero posted:

good timing - I just ordered this yesterday. I don't need bulk but it's the only one on amazon.ca I found and I figured my gym mates would want to grab some. This one you can order by the roll but they don't ship to Canada and the price point isn't the best.

Thanks - when they arrive can you post a picture of the rolls next to something for scale? If they don't look really tiny I'll order it myself.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
Will do, and if you want - PM me your address and I'll ship one or two over to you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bangkero posted:

Will do, and if you want - PM me your address and I'll ship one or two over to you.

Eeeh don't worry about that. No sense in letting the shipping companies double dip - but I appreciate the offer. If they don't look like mini rolls and if you say they're decent quality after having tried them, I'll just order my own. I'm going to probably resell 2/3 of them to other people at cost anyway - that's what I did when I ordered 40 mouthguards.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Without sparring against a resisting opponent there's no way to test and refine technique though, surely?

Maybe I'm missing the point.

No but. You can practice sparring with 20-40% force. It teaches you the movements and reactions but doesn't hurt.

If you have skilled friends in sparring, you can also do it with 50-100% speed but no force, depending on what they have trained before and they can do that to begin with :D

Telling someone who has been wrestling forever to go "hey dude, only 50% if we strike" is probably pretty useless but there's lots of kickboxing styles where people learn how to do that and it actually makes both of you better. Gawd drat, I've done tons of sparring rounds without a mouthguard and no gloves because everyone knows how to handle their movement hence no injuries, busted knuckles or cuts.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Wait are you trying to defend Aikido?

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

CommonShore posted:

Eeeh don't worry about that. No sense in letting the shipping companies double dip - but I appreciate the offer. If they don't look like mini rolls and if you say they're decent quality after having tried them, I'll just order my own. I'm going to probably resell 2/3 of them to other people at cost anyway - that's what I did when I ordered 40 mouthguards.
Here you go:

Let me know if that's clear enough. It's more flexible than hockey tape but definitely no where near as flimsy as medical tape.

JaySB posted:

Wait are you trying to defend Aikido?

I think Ligur is moreso defending sparring light as a training method. Sparring light (and flow rolling, kata, drilling, or hitting the bags) will certainly refine the mechanics of the technique, which is part of the question Quidditch posed. As Conor McGregor says "upgrading the software without damaging the hardware".

A good gym will have a wide range of training methods, and many of us are in agreement that gyms (such as aikido) that do not use sparring as a training method miss out on honing other skill sets that you only get from practicing against a resisting opponent -- proper head/body movement, defense, adapting the technique, and knowing how to react after getting punched/thrown/choked/etc. (as well as getting used to the feeling of being punched/thrown/choked/etc.).

But in the end it really depends on what you want out of your martial art. Who gives a gently caress if you're having fun and getting a workout if that's your goal. A lot of people in my MMA gym won't spar or only roll lightly since they're really there for the workout, learn techniques, and enjoy the social aspect of a team workout. Are they any better than someone who trains wing chun or aikido? Are they any better than someone who trains in a wing chun gym that spars? :shrug:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Bangkero posted:

Are they any better than someone who trains wing chun or aikido? Are they any better than someone who trains in a wing chun gym that spars? :shrug:

Yes

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Better at what?

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Trick question - I would tool the poo poo out of both groups before crushing them under my basic kesa gatame hold down.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bangkero posted:

Here you go:

Let me know if that's clear enough. It's more flexible than hockey tape but definitely no where near as flimsy as medical tape.

Rad rad rad sold.

Bangkero posted:

Trick question - I would tool the poo poo out of both groups before crushing them under my basic kesa gatame hold down.

Kesa gatame may be basic but it scales well with your skill:

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

CommonShore posted:

Kesa gatame may be basic but it scales well with your skill:
Then I should be talking about my advanced kesa gatame hold down, which I would use to hold down both groups at the same time.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Kesa gatame may be basic but it scales well with your spare tire

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Better at what?

Everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I just started training BJJ last week. I found a nice, inviting gym and I'm having a ton of fun. My legs have been sore the day after a class and I'm not very flexible. Are there any stretches that you guys can recommend that might help to prevent the soreness and help with the flexibility? It's mostly my calves and my hips that are the most sore.