Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, Brokeback is pretty good. It's, like, at least the second best Ang Lee movie I've seen.

What have you seen? I like brokeback a lot but wedding banquet, eat drink man woman, crouching tiger hidden dragon, and lust, caution are all at least equally good. And I'd go to bat for pushing hands, hulk, and sense and sensibility too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

precision posted:

2009 - "The Hurt Locker"
2003 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
2002 - "Chicago"
2001 - "A Beautiful Mind"
1996 - "The English Patient"
1995 - "Braveheart"
1994 - "Forrest Gump"
I haven't seen A Beautiful Mind but everything else there is definitely better than Crash.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Spatula City posted:

It's effective for anyone that likes good movies, because Ang Lee is a great fuckin' director, and Heath Ledger was a great actor.

I'll give you Ledger but Ang Lee is awful.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Skwirl posted:

I haven't seen A Beautiful Mind but everything else there is definitely better than Crash.

It's better than Crash.

There are definitely some bad movies on there but loving lol at starting with The Hurt Locker. That movie's legitimately fantastic.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I cannot loving believe that anyone on earth, let alone these forums, unironically enjoyed Ang Lee's tire fire that is Hulk

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hulk rules.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Why y'all tryin to discredit Cronenberg's only oscar?!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

In bizarro world where good is bad and bad is good

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The gently caress dawg?

THE gently caress?

Improbable Lobster posted:

In bizarro world where good is bad and bad is good

Maybe the same bizarro world where YOU'RE NOT A HUGE JERKFACE.

I realised that I've now implied that Hulk is actually bad. It was a confusing call out.

Hulk rules.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Hulk has all the worst aspects of comicbook films with none of the good whatsoever

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
My main takeaway from seeing Shakespeare in Love was that the only reason it isn't treated the same as stuff like Never Been Kissed, Whatever It Takes, Saved!, etc. is because there's respected British people in it & a large dose of epic Robot Chicken style reference humor where it's funny because you understand that when Shakespeare asks if he should compare the lady to a summers day, well, let's just say the real scholars in the audience will get the ref   :D :D

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
E: double post aah

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This is insane.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Is Brokeback Mountain at all effective for someone who doesn't get upset about the idea of gay cowboys?
I don't get upset about the idea of gays, cowboys, or gay cowboys, and I loved that movie. It's a great love story.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Hat Thoughts posted:

My main takeaway from seeing Shakespeare in Love was that the only reason it isn't treated the same as stuff like Never Been Kissed, Whatever It Takes, Saved!, etc. is because there's respected British people in it & a large dose of epic Robot Chicken style reference humor where it's funny because you understand that when Shakespeare asks if he should compare the lady to a summers day, well, let's just say the real scholars in the audience will get the ref   :D :D
I actually don't mind it winning Best Picture because Best Picture is sort of a meaningless joke of an award. The thing that's always bugged me about that year was Gwyneth Paltrow winning Best Actress over literally any of the other nominees. I'll be the pariah who admits to generally liking Gwyneth's acting but SIL gave her absolutely nothing interesting to do; talking with a fairly decent accent for two hours isn't some vastly praiseworthy turn.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Skwirl posted:

A Beautiful Mind tries to be biographical but most of what happens is completely made up. It's a pretty typical example of a 'Hollywood historical film' which just twists actual history or an actual person for dramatic effect.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

A Beautiful Mind tries to be biographical but most of what happens is completely made up. It's a pretty typical example of a 'Hollywood historical film' which just twists actual history or an actual person for dramatic effect.
Yeah, I want to like the movie so much more but Ron Howard really hosed up with this one.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

FishBulb posted:

Why y'all tryin to discredit Cronenberg's only oscar?!

If there's anything good to come out of Crash winning Best Picture it's that confused moviegoers went to Blockbuster and picked up Cronenberg's Crash instead.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, I want to like the movie so much more but Ron Howard really hosed up with this one.
Ron Howard hasn't done anything good in at least a decade.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's also an accurate description of Braveheart and that movie is loving awesome.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Skwirl posted:

That's also an accurate description of Braveheart and that movie is loving awesome.
I think Braveheart is different because it's fundamentally a war story.

There were 2 unforgivable things they did with A Beautiful Mind:

1) When they show the Nash Equilibrium, the thing for which he won the Nobel loving Prize, what they showed was NOT a Nash Equilibrium when they could've just as easily done so.

2) They made his Nobel acceptance speech about the "mysterious equations of love".

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m 100% ok with Hollywood films fabricating poo poo and pretending it’s a true story. Drama should be compelling, and artists should do whatever they think will get them towards that end.

The only exception is when misrepresentation contributes to some systemic injustice. But who the hell cares if some famous egghead wasn’t faithfully depicted?

Don’t be mistaken. A Beautiful Mind is boring as heck, but that’s just Ron Howard goofing it up, not because he didn’t tell the truth.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Chairman Capone posted:

It made me wonder about why that movie was made. Even without the whole dog abuse thing, the movie seemed designed to make its core demographic (huge dog lovers) cry for the entire movie.

It seems like your second sentence answers your first.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Ron Howard hasn't done anything good in at least a decade.

I really liked Rush.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

precision posted:

And in what crazy universe is The English Patient even noteworthy at all?

there was a good seinfeld episode about how elaine hated it while everyone else raved about it.

I cannot loving believe that anyone on earth, let alone these forums, unironically enjoyed Ang Lee's tire fire that is Hulk

"let alone these forums" do you have any idea where you're at.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 5, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

DeimosRising posted:

What have you seen? I like brokeback a lot but wedding banquet, eat drink man woman, crouching tiger hidden dragon, and lust, caution are all at least equally good. And I'd go to bat for pushing hands, hulk, and sense and sensibility too

I was trying and failing to imply that I hadn't seen enough of his movies - I've only seen Brokeback, Life of Pi (meh), Crouching Tiger (boss), and, yes, I'd go to bat for Hulk, too.

Hulk has all the worst aspects of comicbook films with none of the good whatsoever

Nah, dude, Hulk is good. Come for the bizarro, post-Atom Age love story / stay for the Brechtian distanciation.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ang Lee is a good director and his Hulk was, maybe still is, top tier superhero movie.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Wandle Cax posted:

In a universe where people have good opinions? I seriously have not heard a bad word about the english patient in my whole life.

(raises hand)

I enjoyed English Patient when it came out, even defended it to some people. About the worst I admitted at the time was that it was "just" a melodrama.

Rewatched it recently and found it incredibly silly and mawkish. (What nurse? You don't want to continue with the convoy? Okay, just hole up in this glamorously dilapidated mansion and take tender care of this dying traitor while we proceed to the front line. I'm sure other significant characters will be able to find you there. Come along when you're done.) Others I spoke to found it the same way. It's a pretty picture but a fairly shallow one.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Hat Thoughts posted:

The review from a colleague of mine has stuck with me: Shakespeare in Love isn't nearly as clever as it thinks it is.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

precision posted:

2009 - "The Hurt Locker"
2003 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
2002 - "Chicago"
2001 - "A Beautiful Mind"
1996 - "The English Patient"
1995 - "Braveheart"
1994 - "Forrest Gump"

Chicago is loving :perfect:. What the hell?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
All I know about The English Patient is that the Ford Ranger is the official truck of it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Gatts posted:

Ang Lee is a good director and his Hulk was, maybe still is, top tier superhero movie.

Yeah, top tier to watch if you want to see a really bad movie

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Ang Lee's Hulk and BvS fall into a pretty similar zone for me: I can appreciate a lot of what they're going for, but most of it doesn't really land for me.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Haven't seen A Beautiful Mind but who cares? Why does this matter?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DeimosRising posted:

Haven't seen A Beautiful Mind but who cares? Why does this matter?

A not-insignificant number of people assume that films based on real people/events are accurate to reality

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Plus the actual story is usually much more interesting than the sanitized, made-up hollywood version

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Chairman Capone posted:

Had to go see A Dog's Purpose with my girlfriend. It made me wonder about why that movie was made. Even without the whole dog abuse thing, the movie seemed designed to make its core demographic (huge dog lovers) cry for the entire movie. I did laugh at the realization that the director's name is Lasse and that one of the main actors is named Pooch. Also how Douglas Quaid's character's father is driven to alcoholism by his nihilistic response to the prospect of nuclear war in the Cuban Missile Crisis.

There was an article in the paper today where the humane society or something reviewed the tape and said it had been edited to look worse and the timing of it going public right before the premiere is suspicious.

Hulk rules, I just bought the blueray last year actually. Better than any Marvel movie from the last five years, anyway.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

A Beautiful Mind really does give Crash a run for its money

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

got any sevens posted:

There was an article in the paper today where the humane society or something reviewed the tape and said it had been edited to look worse and the timing of it going public right before the premiere is suspicious.

Hulk rules, I just bought the blueray last year actually. Better than any Marvel movie from the last five years, anyway.

There's a very angry article on Cracked, criticising it's SFX, as if its very vibrant, cartoony look was somehow a mistake. A mistake that an Oscar winning director specifically insisted on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

There's a very angry article on Cracked, criticising it's SFX, as if its very vibrant, cartoony look was somehow a mistake. A mistake that an Oscar winning director specifically insisted on.

I don't dislike the look of Hulk, but as this whole conversation bears out, oscar-winning directors are perfectly capable of making poor decisions.

Also, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned The Ice Storm in Ang Lee chat because it's easily his best movie.

• Locked thread