Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
Still learning to photograph people and work with models to create portraits, but here's my first shoot of the new year with my new X-T2, hopefully it only gets better. It's not the best photo, so don't hate me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insideoutside
Jan 27, 2009
With all of the lines there I would have been tempted to stop down a bit to get them in focus. Congrats on the camera - what lens were you using?

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

insideoutside posted:

With all of the lines there I would have been tempted to stop down a bit to get them in focus. Congrats on the camera - what lens were you using?

Yeah, you're probably right. Maybe next time. I'm still getting comfortable with this thing, it's a big change from my 5dmk2, but visually I really enjoy it. I'll probably go back to the same spot and try again in warmer weather. Working with the 56mm 1.2 for this shot.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

"hello ladies, yes I am an artist"

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

8th-snype posted:

"hello ladies, yes I am an artist"

i wish i was a real artist and not just a photographer but im lazy so lol nty

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Untitled by Jason Martin, on Flickr

thetzar fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 9, 2017

widunder
May 2, 2002

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I couldn't decide on an orientation/crop.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

thetzar posted:

what are you trying to show with a wide portrait composition. the background is really boring and way too much in focus. you can make mundane street stuff look good with aggressive depth of field to abstract it.

Also I think you're missing focus a touch on both images.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Did you touch up her eyes/eyebrows in the first one, because they look a bit weird and smudgy. I think the wider shot is better though.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

thetzar posted:

The cropped one feels like a better composition looks a bit soft to me. Overcropped?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Paragon8 posted:

what are you trying to show with a wide portrait composition. the background is really boring and way too much in focus. you can make mundane street stuff look good with aggressive depth of field to abstract it.

Also I think you're missing focus a touch on both images.

akadajet posted:

The cropped one feels like a better composition looks a bit soft to me. Overcropped?

I liked the wider crop for the environment; it might not be the most interesting in the world, but I liked having at least a bit. Sadly, it does look like the focus was off a bit on the tighter crop (though I think it's good on the wider one). I'm starting to think that I'm having focus problems that aren't just my fault; need to start shooting some targets to see if it's the glass or me.

big scary monsters posted:

Did you touch up her eyes/eyebrows in the first one, because they look a bit weird and smudgy. I think the wider shot is better though.

Nope, no retouching.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

thetzar posted:

It's funny because I like the first one as more of a traditional portrait but from my graphic design/art direction background Im drawn to the wide one for its usability (header images, backgrounds, blog images etc) as it would give me a place for a headline or body of text.

On first instinct I just like the overall lighting and color of them. My biggest critique is maybe seeing more of the models actual face?

They're pleasant photos.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

thetzar posted:

Maybe it's just me, but the blurry left half of the jacket really bothers me because it really looks out of place and like a mistake.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My eye is drawn to the fence instead of the woman.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That seems to be a very odd place to put the fence frankly.

Take a look at the fence and where it is - in the middle of the light tone subgroup. If you shift your eyes to the dark tone sub group you would see a different type of fencing, one that is quite securely bolted into the side of this building.
The fence in question is, therefore, one of a portable type.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Verman posted:

It's funny because I like the first one as more of a traditional portrait but from my graphic design/art direction background Im drawn to the wide one for its usability (header images, backgrounds, blog images etc) as it would give me a place for a headline or body of text.

nice sense of brand awareness Verman

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Verman posted:

On first instinct I just like the overall lighting and color of them. My biggest critique is maybe seeing more of the models actual face?

They're pleasant photos.

Verman...German... you're racist right? I bet you say n*gga all the time. You make me sick.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I don't know what's going on any more. I mean, I didn't before, but I still don't.

Verman: What up, design bro?

AAaanyway, I hosed up many, many things on this day of the shoot. Like this shot, for example. Under absolutely no circumstances should it have been shot at f2.8. But that's what my stupid brain did.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Dani
by Steve V, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Got asked to do a short notice shoot with a local hobby model friend and her friend from out of town.

Medium Format

Chloe&Assayka005.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Digital

IMG_4779.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_4672.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_4788.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

This is pretty cool, with a minor nitpick that her top is blending in to the machine behind her.

Helen Highwater posted:

Got asked to do a short notice shoot with a local hobby model friend and her friend from out of town.

Medium Format

Chloe&Assayka005.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Digital

IMG_4779.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_4672.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_4788.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

None of these are lit.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

🚫🔥

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

This one should've been trashed my dude.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Harsh but fair. I'm really struggling with portraits and I've never shot two models at once before. I was asked to do it at short notice (like, 3 hours) so I didn't have many ideas of my own to bring to the shoot, I was mostly trying to make the girls' ideas work. The outside shots were taken in natural light with a single speedlight in a orb umbrella box. Inside I had limited space but three continuous lights in softboxes as well as two off-axis speedlights. I want to do more portrait and full body work but I'm definitely running into a block. Partly it's a problem of limited gear and space but I know that I won't magically get better photos just by buying a poo poo-ton of new gear either. Where do I go from here?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I'd suggest reading a book on lighting or portrait posing, probably both actually. What the gently caress were you doing with 3 softboxed hotlights and 2 off camera flashes in a "limited space" ? I'm not trying to be a dick I'm honestly curious what your intentions were.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

I'd suggest reading a book on lighting or portrait posing, probably both actually. What the gently caress were you doing with 3 softboxed hotlights and 2 off camera flashes in a "limited space" ? I'm not trying to be a dick I'm honestly curious what your intentions were.

It's pretty dark in my living room for photography so I needed two hotlights to get decent exposure levels and then I used one or both speedlights as fills to soften the hard shadows. On the couch I needed the third softbox to keep the light consistent along the whole length.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Helen Highwater posted:

It's pretty dark in my living room for photography so I needed two hotlights to get decent exposure levels and then I used one or both speedlights as fills to soften the hard shadows. On the couch I needed the third softbox to keep the light consistent along the whole length.

Yes but what were you doing besides uniformly bringing up the light level of the room? Next time use one light, no modifiers. Get some foam core to add fill if you absolutely need it.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
I can't help but feel the old guide of "use at most one studio light per year of lighting experience" applies here. You can do so much with one decent light. Put all your efforts into getting a good one-light setup (with reflector at most) and working with that, it'll improve your photography no end. Plus it's way more convenient to lug around and set up!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

One light, one reflector and a flag will already get you a long, long way. Control ambient before you worry about a 3rd+ light source.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Helen Highwater posted:

Harsh but fair. I'm really struggling with portraits and I've never shot two models at once before. I was asked to do it at short notice (like, 3 hours) so I didn't have many ideas of my own to bring to the shoot, I was mostly trying to make the girls' ideas work. The outside shots were taken in natural light with a single speedlight in a orb umbrella box. Inside I had limited space but three continuous lights in softboxes as well as two off-axis speedlights. I want to do more portrait and full body work but I'm definitely running into a block. Partly it's a problem of limited gear and space but I know that I won't magically get better photos just by buying a poo poo-ton of new gear either. Where do I go from here?

Is there portrait work you have seen that you enjoy? Absorb all of that and you'll start consciously/unconsciously emulating that.

Why not keep it simple and try to shoot some window lit stuff? Only gear required is your camera and a window and any semblance of light coming through it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Echoing what everyone else is saying. Start out simple and learn to pose one person in one situation with one light. My suggestion would be work on headshots and 3/4 lengths to start. I'll also mention too, friend-models will sometimes will have grand ideas of what they want shot and how. Try to keep them in the confines of what you're able to do, then if you want, try a couple experimental shots.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Tried my hand at a glamour portrait.

World Class Boogers by B. B., on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Sometimes bar photos work out.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

torgeaux posted:

Tried my hand at a glamour portrait.

World Class Boogers by B. B., on Flickr

with all the time I spend removing snot and crumbs from pictures of my kids, I often wonder if I'm being inauthentic in doing so.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

timrenzi574 posted:

with all the time I spend removing snot and crumbs from pictures of my kids, I often wonder if I'm being inauthentic in doing so.

Nah

If I'm just throwing it up on FB for my parents or whatever I wouldn't waste the time, but if I really like something and want to print it out, I'm definitely cleaning breakfast off their chins or sleep out of their eyes.

Like, this is a fine little closeup, but with a ton of crunchies in her eyes and dog hair on her jacket and a speck of cilantro or whatever on a tooth the whole thing just gets too real.

Coy by Matt Philpott, on Flickr

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 23, 2017

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

timrenzi574 posted:

No, I do that too. This one was really more to immortalize the amazing snot and general look of being disheveled.

Duncecap
Jul 30, 2003

got the chance to do a photoshoot in a goth emporium and mess around with their props. Tried really hard to get as many white girls in cute poses photos as possible.

white girl cute pose by bento_dunce, on Flickr

white girl cute hat by bento_dunce, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They look like pink girls to me.