Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Guavanaut posted:

Everyone take out your copybooks, today's lesson is Liberals will always defend right wing populism over any kind of leftism. Write it 100 times.

I had a quick look at the Federalist and it seems to be a right-wing, god-and-family, Christianty-with-everything website more than a liberal one

edit: 2032: Arnold Schwarzenegger is the president, to the annoyance of Sylvester Stallone. How he's still alive by then is unknown, but hey, at least it implies that Trump will leave him something to be president of

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jabby posted:

I think that's a reasonable argument, but I think if you feel that way you should be mad at him for voting in favour of a referendum. Not for voting to trigger Article 50. Once he voted to give the decision to the public then the die was cast so to speak.

I can be mad at him for both. And in fact I am. Although I am mostly mad at the way that Corbyn has completely failed to hold the Tories to account over Brexit and triggering Article 50. I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that Brexit is inevitable, doesn't mean I don't expect the opposition to do their loving job and at least put the brakes on the worst excesses. Much like why Harriet Harman saying they should abstain on the welfare bill back in 2015 was dreadful, it failed to hold the government to account.

Zephro posted:

I had a quick look at the Federalist and it seems to be a right-wing, god-and-family, Christianty-with-everything website more than a liberal one

They regularly get mocked on Chapo Trap House. Or did before the election anyway.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
as for why the Grauniad is picking it up: a mixture of #slatepitch contrariness and because the article, byline aside, is indistinguishable from left-wing authors making the same charge of corrupt and incompetent elites running the establishment

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/05/ken-clarke-on-brexit-ive-never-seen-anything-as-mad-or-chaotic-as-this

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

he's a senior fellow of this. he writes for that.
It's more that he got given a platform in this.

I get that the idea of CiF is supposed to be to provide the Millsian idea of a free pulpit for everyone (who can pass the Graun's arbitrary standards), but we also know all about the failure of that kind of thing against rabid populism.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

forkboy84 posted:

Hence why I said all of the Labour Party is useless. I absolutely think what Corbyn is doing is dumb. Leaving the EU will be bad for poor people. Despite the EU being bad for poor people because neoliberalism inherent to the EU is bad.

Perhaps Corbyn should have backed Leave during the campaign. He's elected on the basis that he stays true to his principles and he wants to enact radical change. His principles vis-a-vis the EU had always been in the Bennite Eurosceptic position, and leaving the EU would have been the most radical change he could have conceivably associated with. If Corbyn had declared for Leave and campaigned hard for it, it might have prevented Brexit from being defined as it has been by Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Michael Gove et al. If he had been out there spouting some stuff about how it's run by bosses and capitalists or whatever (obviously why I voted to Remain myself lol) he could have added a new dimension to the referendum conversation. He even could have said that we could have even freer movement outside the EU if he'd wanted, because we'd be Taking Back Control of Our Borders and that would mean we could keep them as open as we want. It wouldn't have been the most incredible thing anyone said during the campaign.

How could this have happened? I imagine it could have happened if Greece had flared up again and the EU institutions started making trouble for SYRIZA (though I think it's only fair to note that the EU institutions are responsible for 27 other countries and can't make special concessions for Greece, any more than they should have been making special concessions for Britain to stay in as a full member) and people started talking about "Lexit" again (because I distinctly remember a couple of Owen Jones articles during the height of the crisis in 2015 which argued that the Greek situation showed that leftists should be prepared to seriously consider leaving the EU).

Now, what would the outcome be for him? Notwithstanding an inciting event as described above, I imagine he would almost certainly have faced a leadership challenge regardless of which way the referendum went. But whether or not he'd lose would depend on whether his supporters are willing to take a nuanced look at the politics of the situation, or if they'd all just buy into the "Euroscepticism is bad because Nigel Farage is a racist" idea you see a lot.

In any event, I think it is interesting to speculate.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
aside from the Americanism of using "middle class" to invoke the notion of the wage labouring class, the essay could have come from a left-wing populist, of which there are plenty

of course CiF leans towards a particular set of views; non-liberal ones have to pass a somewhat higher bar than liberal ones. combine that with a desire for originality contrariness, and that's why the column generates so much infamous "moderate" blather - you're in it either because you're a left-winger or conservative who has carefully framed your argument to the extent that a liberal finds it sympathetic, or because you're a liberal putting forth a #slatepitch

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 5, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

aside from the Americanism of using "middle class" to invoke the notion of the wage labouring class, the essay could have come from a left-wing populist, of which there are plenty
That and the idea that Trump is somehow not part of the 'elites' himself, which Trump claims, Davidson strongly implies, and no left-wing populist would believe.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Perhaps Corbyn should have backed Leave during the campaign. He's elected on the basis that he stays true to his principles and he wants to enact radical change. His principles vis-a-vis the EU had always been in the Bennite Eurosceptic position, and leaving the EU would have been the most radical change he could have conceivably associated with. If Corbyn had declared for Leave and campaigned hard for it, it might have prevented Brexit from being defined as it has been by Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Michael Gove et al. If he had been out there spouting some stuff about how it's run by bosses and capitalists or whatever (obviously why I voted to Remain myself lol) he could have added a new dimension to the referendum conversation. He even could have said that we could have even freer movement outside the EU if he'd wanted, because we'd be Taking Back Control of Our Borders and that would mean we could keep them as open as we want. It wouldn't have been the most incredible thing anyone said during the campaign.

How could this have happened? I imagine it could have happened if Greece had flared up again and the EU institutions started making trouble for SYRIZA (though I think it's only fair to note that the EU institutions are responsible for 27 other countries and can't make special concessions for Greece, any more than they should have been making special concessions for Britain to stay in as a full member) and people started talking about "Lexit" again (because I distinctly remember a couple of Owen Jones articles during the height of the crisis in 2015 which argued that the Greek situation showed that leftists should be prepared to seriously consider leaving the EU).

Now, what would the outcome be for him? Notwithstanding an inciting event as described above, I imagine he would almost certainly have faced a leadership challenge regardless of which way the referendum went. But whether or not he'd lose would depend on whether his supporters are willing to take a nuanced look at the politics of the situation, or if they'd all just buy into the "Euroscepticism is bad because Nigel Farage is a racist" idea you see a lot.

In any event, I think it is interesting to speculate.

Whichever way Corbyn campaigned on Brexit, the result would have been the same - being denigrated and lied about by the press, even the nominally lefty press, when he wasn't being ignored.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

thespaceinvader posted:

Whichever way Corbyn campaigned on Brexit, the result would have been the same - being denigrated and lied about by the press, even the nominally lefty press, when he wasn't being ignored.

Then there's no cost for him to actually pick the morally correct position that represents his supporters. Instead the position that what the government is up to is based fundamentally on lies and cruelty is left to wither and die.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

That and the idea that Trump is somehow not part of the 'elites' himself, which Trump claims, Davidson strongly implies, and no left-wing populist would believe.

cough

substitute "anti-establishment" if you prefer

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/827312590359519233

#LibDemFightback #UKIPSurge

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

This is really a function of how 'establishment' is a stupid word that has no meaning.

When conservatives say 'establishment' they mean teachers, academics, scientists, leftwing politicians, judges, charity workers, journalists.

When leftists say 'establishment' they mean rich people.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Fangz posted:

Cool, you don't know what the word lie means.

Yes, the remain arguments put across by Cameron and Osbourne were completely truthful, and a budget with huge tax rises and massive spending cuts was a realistic prospect rather than a transparent threat which would crash the economy if ever implemented.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
assuming that one thinks that it was about the by-election, three-lining the bill must seem like a great move in retrospect

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

jabby posted:

Yes, the remain arguments put across by Cameron and Osbourne were completely truthful, and a budget with huge tax rises and massive spending cuts was a realistic prospect rather than a transparent threat which would crash the economy if ever implemented.

Lol if you think Brexit won't crash the economy.

The timing is the thing that remain got wrong, and they got it wrong because people didn't predict the precise political consequences of when and how the decision will be implemented. The ability of the May government to lie to the public that everything is going to be okay is basically the cause of all of the forecast error.

Osborne by most economic experts understated the damage Brexit is going to do, because people put in charge of making the estimates were told to disregard the economic damage of reduced migration.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Fangz posted:

This is really a function of how 'establishment' is a stupid word that has no meaning.

When conservatives say 'establishment' they mean teachers, academics, scientists, leftwing politicians, judges, charity workers, journalists.

When leftists say 'establishment' they mean rich people.

We should just discard all words because their meanings are invariably subjective and multi-faceted and communicate solely through inarticulate grunting.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
the bank of england has the final say on whether there will be a crash, although a painful decline in projected growth that demands more austerity is of course another possibility

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

TomViolence posted:

We should just discard all words because their meanings are invariably subjective and multi-faceted and communicate solely through inarticulate grunting.

This seems to be what is happening, yes.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

In b4 "this is bad for Corbyn"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

ronya posted:

the bank of england has the final say on whether there will be a crash, although a painful decline in projected growth that demands more austerity is of course another possibility

Current economic forecasts from official stats are ridiculously optimistic because they work within the parameters of assumptions supplied to them by the government. As in, they implictly assume everything will be awesome.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't think that really means anything for what I posted.

(I'm just posting things I think might be interesting for people to talk about.)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Interesting cherry picking.

quote:

In the two seats on Rotherham council, one was gained by the Liberal Democrats at Labour’s expense, whilst Labour also gained a seat from UKIP. The Lib Dems were boosted in a 50.4 point increase in their vote share in the first ward, Brinsworth and Catcliffe. In this ward Labour’s vote plummeted by 26.2 points.

In Dinnington, Rotherham, which Labour gained from UKIP, the party enjoyed a 15.5 point increase to 36.1 per cent of the vote, whilst UKIP saw their vote decrease by 3.1 points to 16.3 per cent.

The Tories held their seat in Town, East Staffordshire, in the other by-election of the night, with a slight – 0.3 point – decrease in vote share. Labour saw a three point drop in their vote in this ward.

https://labourlist.org/2017/02/council-by-elections-labour-take-seat-from-ukip-as-lib-dems-surge-in-rotherham/

Anyway local council elections is a load of noise.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Council elections are meaningless unless they favour the party I support then they are the perfect barometer of how the next general election will go.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Fangz posted:

Lol if you think Brexit won't crash the economy.

The timing is the thing that remain got wrong, and they got it wrong because people didn't predict the precise political consequences of when and how the decision will be implemented. The ability of the May government to lie to the public that everything is going to be okay is basically the cause of all of the forecast error.

Osborne by most economic experts understated the damage Brexit is going to do, because people put in charge of making the estimates were told to disregard the economic damage of reduced migration.

Of course Brexit will crash the economy, I'm not talking about the predictions of the damage it would do. Those weren't lies. I'm talking about Osbourne claiming he would force through a budget that would be the absolute worst thing to do in that situation in an attempt to scare the population. That was a lie.

In any case the lies are a weak argument for opposing Brexit when you supported a referendum. You always come back to the fact that if Brexit is so terrible (it is) the decision should never have been left up to the British people. So don't be mad at Corbyn for whipping Article 50, be mad at Corbyn, the rest of Labour, the Greens, the Lib Dems and a lot of other people for supporting the referendum in the first place.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

quote:

LAB 36.1% (+15.5)
UKIP 16.3 (-3.1)

Am I going mad or was Labour's previous share still bigger than UKIP's?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
ober better watch out there are some serious people out for him

https://twitter.com/USXPD/status/827808750459248640?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if the right want to throw themselves out of helicopters I'm not going to stop them.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Goku is totally Antifa

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

Goku is totally Antifa

There aren't really any right wing animes. That's the strange thing. Maybe Berserk because Guts is really loving manly and doesn't afraid of anything? Toho (their loving mascot) is about fairies and shrine maidens, what the gently caress does that have to do with the right?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

jabby posted:

Of course Brexit will crash the economy, I'm not talking about the predictions of the damage it would do. Those weren't lies. I'm talking about Osbourne claiming he would force through a budget that would be the absolute worst thing to do in that situation in an attempt to scare the population. That was a lie.

Osborne thinking that max austerity is the solution to all problems seems consistent with his previous positions, it didn't happen because Osborne stopped being Chancellor. In the long term the punishment budget will probably happen. It's a matter of when.

But you're shifting the goalposts, eh? The position that Osborne's predictions was a 'punishment budget' is a Leave position. Osborne created a projection of what a Brexit crash in 2019-2020 would mean and how he would address it in terms of spending cuts and tax rises. So how does this turn into a lie? Is the lie here that Osborne didn't actually think Brexit would lead to an economic crunch? Is the lie that Osborne is actually a secret Keynesian?

It turns only into a lie if you swallow a shitload of Leave whoppers. Specifically the theory that Osborne actually thinks Brexit would be great for the economy, but he's pretending that he would intentionally and knowingly make the economy worse because he's evil, whereas actually he knows well enough that Britain will be in a glorious golden age and the Tories would never respond to bad economic circumstances by loving over the public. And well, if you actually believe all of that, then hahahaha.

quote:

In any case the lies are a weak argument for opposing Brexit when you supported a referendum. You always come back to the fact that if Brexit is so terrible (it is) the decision should never have been left up to the British people. So don't be mad at Corbyn for whipping Article 50, be mad at Corbyn, the rest of Labour, the Greens, the Lib Dems and a lot of other people for supporting the referendum in the first place.

I can be mad about multiple people simultaneous to being mad at Corbyn. Events don't have a single cause.

Yeah, I am annoyed with all these frat boys for setting my flat on fire, but the fucker who is still pouring on lighter fluid?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 5, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

HJB posted:

Am I going mad or was Labour's previous share still bigger than UKIP's?
yeah what the hell lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fangz posted:

It's a matter of when.

I was gonna say "massively cut everything" definitely seems like what May will do, whether or not she will raise taxes is debatable but she sure as poo poo will find some way to make the poor pay for her fuckups.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

Toho (their loving mascot) is about fairies and shrine maidens, what the gently caress does that have to do with the right?
The religious right maybe? :v:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I was gonna say "massively cut everything" definitely seems like what May will do, whether or not she will raise taxes is debatable but she sure as poo poo will find some way to make the poor pay for her fuckups.

May's basic strategy is very simple - she needs to delay the crash until some other crisis happens (e.g. the Trump recession). Then she can hide the consequences of Brexit and the lovely government response to it in the wider global recession. That's how she'll avoid blame.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Every degenerate on this forsaken rock loves anime for some insane reason

including me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fangz posted:

May's basic strategy is very simple - she needs to delay the crash until some other crisis happens (e.g. the Trump recession). Then she can hide the consequences of Brexit and the lovely government response to it in the wider global recession. That's how she'll avoid blame.

It's going to be fun watching her manage that within tory ideological constraints if so.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

There aren't really any right wing animes. That's the strange thing. Maybe Berserk because Guts is really loving manly and doesn't afraid of anything? Toho (their loving mascot) is about fairies and shrine maidens, what the gently caress does that have to do with the right?
I can think of a few that lean nationalist (eg Attack on Titan). Maybe we should get Louise Mensch to investigate.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/827308197279047682

Not a good idea to pay too much attention to these council ward elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

There aren't really any right wing animes.
You're kidding me, right?

• Locked thread