Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Ahh yes, "Fake news", that term that was coined exclusively to refer to The Left talking up Trump's peepee party, and in no way refers to anything else that went on for months and months in the run up to an election, yes

King Possum III posted:

"Make America Great Again"
"Make Russia Great Again"
"Make Turkey Great Again"
"Democracy Is Great"

Also, who's the guy in the background here? The president of Austria, maybe? I know his whole thing is not being a right-wing shithead

Angepain fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Angepain posted:

Ahh yes, "Fake news", that term that was coined exclusively to refer to The Left talking up Trump's peepee party, and in no way refers to anything else that went on for months and months in the run up to an election, yes
Man the tenacity with which Republicans immediately set to work to use that term to mean "any critical news" or (generously) "any news with a liberal editorial overtone" was loving astounding. They really want to deflect that one to the other side, bad.

Like, sure, random internet comment I've seen multiple variations of just today, maybe you don't like, say, CNN. Maybe they're being more sensational, maybe they're pushing a political agenda in how they report, maybe they're getting downright sloppy. Maybe there are totally legitimate reasons to decry it. But I guarantee you, that is not what the term "Fake News" is referring to.

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011

Ularg posted:

I really want to see a Garrison portrayal of Bannon now.

Yeah, Garrison might be delusional enough to turn him into some rugged man's man or something.
But I think he will turn to mostly draw Milo worship or whatever while his delusional mind somehow
tries to make sense of how Trumps fight against Goldman-Sachs and the global banking elite is I don't
even know how to complete this sentence

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Kopijeger posted:

It might be common, but it is a mistake that would only be made by someone who never bothered reading beyond the first line.

LOL imagine knowing the whole line

https://youtu.be/_JNaymmtbq4

Although I don't see how 'the winter of our discontent' could mean 'the ending of our discontent' as that's exactly what happens in the next line. The cartoon looks to have the meaning right to me, it's a metaphor for a miserable period of time, not that time coming to an end.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vib Rib posted:

Man the tenacity with which Republicans immediately set to work to use that term to mean "any critical news" or (generously) "any news with a liberal editorial overtone" was loving astounding. They really want to deflect that one to the other side, bad.

Deflecting to the other side has been their playbook for years. Remember swiftboating?

And why would they stop doing it? It. loving. works. You don't change a winning strategy.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Do they accept credit?

The History of the Democratic Party

Jefferson

FDR

JFK

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 5, 2017

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

NYT posted:

This, however, is what being taken seriously looks like. As Ms. Ryan put it to me, Mr. Trump’s candidacy is “extraordinary and precedent-shattering” and “to pretend otherwise is to be disingenuous with readers.”

It would also be an abdication of political journalism’s most solemn duty: to ferret out what the candidates will be like in the most powerful office in the world.

It may not always seem fair to Mr. Trump or his supporters. But journalism shouldn’t measure itself against any one campaign’s definition of fairness. It is journalism’s job to be true to the readers and viewers, and true to the facts, in a way that will stand up to history’s judgment. To do anything less would be untenable.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

wow Ramirez's art style has really gotten worse over the years

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Donald Trump and Theresa May through the looking glass - Chrias Riddell on the Lewis Carroll world we all inhabit today"

Sunday Telegraph:

Criminals 'bribed security staff to deliberately fit their electronic ankle tags loosely in a scam that was rumbled when one convict was arrested for attempted murder while on a curfew'

Independent:

Supermarkets ration lettuce after bad weather hits supplies; After Bartolomeo Bimbi.

Independent on Sunday:

Travel ban: US temporarily suspends order as Trump derides judge

Sunday Times:

Diane Abbott’s support for Jeremy Corbyn in doubt over Brexit vote

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I missed this one's first posting, but it really is an impressive degree of opposite_of_reality.gif

How much right-wing Kool-Aid do you have to mainline for this to be your read on The Influence Of Money In Politics, I wonder

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Reminds me of this:

When no one was looking, Teacher's Union took forty-eight Dems. He took 48 Dems. That's as many as four tens and one eight. And that's terrible.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

loquacius posted:

I missed this one's first posting, but it really is an impressive degree of opposite_of_reality.gif

How much right-wing Kool-Aid do you have to mainline for this to be your read on The Influence Of Money In Politics, I wonder

Oh, and someone is apparently paying people on the Internet to send in pro-DeVos emails to the Senate.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

drat son. :five:

You make me want to tweet that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The crying fascist is a powerful symbol, wouldn't want to overuse it

https://twitter.com/newyorkyearzero/status/828044638279892996

(Reminder)

quote:

He has also argued that Donald Trump's proposal to "ban Muslims from returning to America is brash and bold, but it's also what we need in this day and age."[39]

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Wistful of Dollars posted:

drat son. :five:

You make me want to tweet that.

bonus points if it gets shared around and people start praising ramirez for it and he has to explain that no in fact his drawing of the USA was meant to be the good guy

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

itskage posted:

I'm still a few pages behind, but to respond before I'm caught up. I was listening to glenn beck on friday (because I hate myself). It wasn't him hosting but someone else, it was only a couple minutes between Dunkin and work so I don't know. Whoever was on was saying that what the dems are doing is the the exact same thing the republicans were doing a few months ago. That the republicans were wrong, they should have actually have had then hearing and then gone on record voted no if they didn't like Obama's pick, but they didn't have the balls to actually go on record saying they didn't like someone as it might come back to them politically later. And also that they were basically violating the constitution with these petty tactics. He then said he's happy about Trump's pick, and happy his side gets to pick, but that what the republicans were doing then and what the dems are doing now is pathetic.

So there's that there... which kind of show some self awareness I guess, but maybe not so much. I think that it's one of those dumb things because now that there is no longer the threat of getting Obama's pick in, then he can now go and blame washington. It's still a way to point at the dems and call them bad for doing this, while also skirting the "but republicans did it!" argument by addressing it up front then taking a side line position of "Well I was against that too, but I wasn't making a peep about it before". Or maybe he was sincere, I don't know.

If he's on Glen Beck's program, he's probably sincere. I really used to viscerally hate Glen Beck himself, but the more I learn about him, the more I think he's just mentally ill and somewhat naive. I've read excerpts of him talking about his ideal America, and it's quite beautiful in a weird, Big Fish sort of way. He really opposed Trump even after the primaries and did a great segment with Samantha Bee after the election about his complicity and regret in allowing the situation in the U.S. to devolve as far as it has. If it' was someone in Glen Beck's camp hosting, it seems pretty likely that he was being genuine.

Sadly, most Republicans don't have the (and I can't believe I'm typing this) integrity and self awareness of Glen Beck, and just end up wallowing in their hypocrisy.

It's... it's beautiful.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Years ago I never would've thought that Glenn beck would be the voice of reason of the right wing crowd.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

santanotreal posted:

Years ago I never would've thought that Glenn beck would be the voice of reason of the right wing crowd.

Glenn Beck has spent decades radicalizing the right wing, he's no voice of reason

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Isn't one of our regular cartoonists employed by Glenn Beck, or was at some point? Maybe Branco?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Improbable Lobster posted:

Glenn Beck has spent decades radicalizing the right wing, he's no voice of reason

more like voice of treason amirite

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Jay Rust posted:

Isn't one of our regular cartoonists employed by Glenn Beck, or was at some point? Maybe Branco?

That's Rob Smith Jr

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Saint Sputnik posted:

That's Rob Smith Jr

Geez, a $10,000 dollar bonus on $1,000,000 salary? The Aryan ubermensch must not move many widgets.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Rolling Stone had an interview with him a couple months ago where he was so drat contrite about the whole thing. Oh woe is me, I let the archconservative genie out of the bottle and now I'd give anything to put it back.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I remember how O'Reilly was considered the far right demagogue, then Beck came and made him look sane and now the Trump administration are making Beck look sane.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Emasculator posted:

If he's on Glen Beck's program, he's probably sincere. I really used to viscerally hate Glen Beck himself, but the more I learn about him, the more I think he's just mentally ill and somewhat naive. I've read excerpts of him talking about his ideal America, and it's quite beautiful in a weird, Big Fish sort of way. He really opposed Trump even after the primaries and did a great segment with Samantha Bee after the election about his complicity and regret in allowing the situation in the U.S. to devolve as far as it has. If it' was someone in Glen Beck's camp hosting, it seems pretty likely that he was being genuine.

Sadly, most Republicans don't have the (and I can't believe I'm typing this) integrity and self awareness of Glen Beck, and just end up wallowing in their hypocrisy.

It's... it's beautiful.

The guy filling in for Glenn Beck that day was Doc Thompson, who I remember best as the guy who said that his life is just as hard as any minority's because he grew up in Cleveland, and then said "Racism is bad but you know white people suffer too!"

And no, Glenn Beck does not have integrity or self awareness. Beck has been sucking Trump's dick hard and constantly praising him ever since he took office. Glenn Beck is a con man and the only reason he pretends like he opposed Trump in the first place is he has an obsession with trying to trick liberals into thinking he's sane and reasonable. He constantly says something that isn't so bad, like, "Gay marriage is completely fine," and then goes on his show and talks about the gay agenda and how "You'd think 90% of the population was gay based on what you see on TV!"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Alhazred posted:

I remember how O'Reilly was considered the far right demagogue, then Beck came and made him look sane and now the Trump administration are making Beck look sane.

:beck: needs to be updated to include :sad: at the end

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

King Possum III posted:

He reminds me of Otis, the town drunk on the Andy Griffith show.

Except Otis didn't attract flies.
Bannon has certainly cultivated that alcoholic aesthetic.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

The guy filling in for Glenn Beck that day was Doc Thompson, who I remember best as the guy who said that his life is just as hard as any minority's because he grew up in Cleveland, and then said "Racism is bad but you know white people suffer too!"

And no, Glenn Beck does not have integrity or self awareness. Beck has been sucking Trump's dick hard and constantly praising him ever since he took office. Glenn Beck is a con man and the only reason he pretends like he opposed Trump in the first place is he has an obsession with trying to trick liberals into thinking he's sane and reasonable. He constantly says something that isn't so bad, like, "Gay marriage is completely fine," and then goes on his show and talks about the gay agenda and how "You'd think 90% of the population was gay based on what you see on TV!"

Taking a look at things he's posted since the election, I don't see any unqualified dick-sucking of Trump. He seems excited at some things Trump has done, such as his SCOTUS pick, but seems pretty willing to bitch about all the poo poo Trump does he disagrees with, too. He seems to stay pretty true to his principles, however terrible they may actually be.

That said, I don't listen to his radio show (because gently caress talk radio), so that might be quite different.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

I've always appreciated the artist's forward-thinking inclusion of Liberace as the "D--n it, how he nicks 'em" guy

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Rebel Blob posted:

Probably the highest functioning alcoholic since Nixon

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Emasculator posted:

That said, I don't listen to his radio show (because gently caress talk radio), so that might be quite different.

I used to listen to bits of his radio show here and there, before he became a household name, and he seemed fairly measured for a conservative. Then he got on TV and I don't know what the gently caress happened.

STATES RAHTS

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

No ring?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Rebel Blob posted:

My God, he's a real life Bill Leak character.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ularg posted:

My God, he's a real life Bill Leak character.

Nah, racism doesn't exist in Bill Leak cartoons.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

pushpins posted:

Probably the highest functioning alcoholic since Nixon

Nixon drank?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

HA HA WOMEN STUPID

This would be a decent groaner of a dad joke if it were phrased as "I put it there so it would be safe and I wouldn't forget it" because that's a universal experience but nope gotta crank the misogyny.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

The media is a bunch of douchenozzles. A Trump's Opinion Cartoon.

Seriously, what the hell is that thing?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think it's a microphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The Snake took "A pack a day" too literally.

• Locked thread