Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

HJB posted:

Am I going mad or was Labour's previous share still bigger than UKIP's?

Apparently two seats were up the last time the ward was contested.

I think the general trend in by-elections over the part year is that Labour vote shares have dipped slightly and the UKIP vote is collapsing (despite Brexit).

I would not be surprised if UKIP ended up being beaten into fourth in Copeland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

HJB posted:

Am I going mad or was Labour's previous share still bigger than UKIP's?

3 seats in each ward. Labour had 2 and UIKP 1. the by-election was just to replace the kipper
those vote share %s are comparing the total for 2 candidates in each party in 2016 to the single candidate of each party in this by

edit: numbers here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_Metropolitan_Borough_Council_election,_2016
multi member constituencies, but still using FPTP leads to some hosed up mess. like Labour had 48 out of 63 seats, totally dominating. but still couldn't risk putting up a 3rd candidate in every ward because it could split the vote

Cerv fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 5, 2017

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TinTower posted:

I think the general trend in by-elections over the part year is that Labour vote shares have dipped slightly and the UKIP vote is collapsing (despite Brexit).

Why would you vote UKIP these days, I guess? They achieved their aim, we're leaving, so there's no reason not to just vote Tory instead.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Let me write out the thing about lies in case there is any doubt.

Leave lied by claiming impossible things will happen that they had no interest in making happen anyway, and by promising different, mutually exclusive things to different people. They are still lying.

Remain 'lied' by failing to guess correctly what the Leave cabal that took over post-Brexit would enact in the short term.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

I dont have sympathy with anyone who votes to hold a referendum and then acts surprised when it involves people making stuff up to win.

Any MP who voted to have the referendum voted to make an important decision in a really stupid way.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

GATE is a right-wing anime. It's about an audience standin unlikeable nerd joining the Japanese army self-defense force and going through a magic portal into a fantasy realm to defend themselves against butcher everyone there, also there's hot anime babes.

E: doesn't one of the Gundams have a guy who literally goes around plotting to create a Greater Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Dabir posted:

GATE is a right-wing anime. It's about an audience standin unlikeable nerd joining the Japanese army self-defense force and going through a magic portal into a fantasy realm to defend themselves against butcher everyone there, also there's hot anime babes.

E: doesn't one of the Gundams have a guy who literally goes around plotting to create a Greater Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere

Thought provoking stuff this. Hoping others can chime in with their own opinions and insights.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Fangz posted:

Let me write out the thing about lies in case there is any doubt.

Leave lied by claiming impossible things will happen that they had no interest in making happen anyway, and by promising different, mutually exclusive things to different people. They are still lying.

Remain 'lied' by failing to guess correctly what the Leave cabal that took over post-Brexit would enact in the short term.

You're staggeringly stupid, do you know that?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kingturnip posted:

You're staggeringly stupid, do you know that?

This sort of thing is why we need mods, just sayin'.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

Gundams have all kind of messed up stuff but the main message was since the inception that war is hosed up and nothing good will come of it. And it's not even a subtle message it's pretty much beaten into you with a protest sign.

e: also there is plenty of right-wing leaning anime, most of it military masturbatory stuff like GATE and Zipang

Junkozeyne fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 5, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

This sort of thing is why we need mods, just sayin'.
We need to end the tyranny of weak owns now!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Junkozeyne posted:

Gundams have all kind of messed up stuff but the main message was since the inception that war is hosed up and nothing good will come of it. And it's not even a subtle message it's pretty much beaten into you with a protest sign.

e: also there is plenty of right-wing leaning anime, most of it military masturbatory stuff like GATE and Zipang

Can I get a fact check on this post?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Junkozeyne posted:

Summed up neatly:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

There aren't really any right wing animes. That's the strange thing. Maybe Berserk because Guts is really loving manly and doesn't afraid of anything? Toho (their loving mascot) is about fairies and shrine maidens, what the gently caress does that have to do with the right?

Touhou has nothing to do with the right, please do not give this appropriation power.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

Yeah, but that's because the franchise creator was a pacifist who made his main villains in his totally-not-World-War-II space opera a bastardised hybrid of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan. G-Reco, his latest show, actually ended up as a remarkably prescient look at the current wave of right-wing lunacy sweeping around the world, even if the ending was a bit of an overly-optimistic cop-out.

If you want purestrain Japanese right-wing lunacy (and I'm not sure why you would), Mahouka is where it's at.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How about Hetalia Axis Powers

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Cool. Good cool posts.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gate does have the moment where the jsda beats a bunch of us special forces, who are identified as such because "no other country has black special forces".

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Cool. Good cool posts.

Anime is my life, much like being worthless is yours

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I wonder if Labour will lose the Copeland by election this month.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Anime is Blood

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
What are the Japanese left and right even like?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

BillBear posted:

What are the Japanese left and right even like?

The same as any other, broadly speaking.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Regarde Aduck posted:

There aren't really any right wing animes. That's the strange thing. Maybe Berserk because Guts is really loving manly and doesn't afraid of anything? Toho (their loving mascot) is about fairies and shrine maidens, what the gently caress does that have to do with the right?

I was kind of ignoring things because the future of our puddle-island is depressing but, man what? GATE? HSOTD? The pernicious undercurrent of "Ah, Japan. A beautiful country. Such beauty is reserved only for Japan, no other country has lakes or mountains" that's in loving everything? I think you've fallen for the thing where nobody in Europe is racist because Romanians aren't black.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Dabir posted:

Yeah but he's the bad guy and gets blown up. Like, I don't think you can say Captain America is pro-fascist because Red Skull's a nazi.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

spectralent posted:

Yeah but he's the bad guy and gets blown up. Like, I don't think you can say Captain America is pro-fascist because Red Skull's a nazi.

Apparently Captain America is pro-fascist now.

ANIME AND COMICS ARE BAD.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I'm sensing an anti-anime animus emanating.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

namesake posted:

Apparently US-America is pro-fascist now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

The same as any other, broadly speaking.

I don't remember austerity gaining quite the same purchase in Japan as in other countries, though I could be mistaken on that one.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

namesake posted:

Apparently Captain America is pro-fascist now.

ANIME AND COMICS ARE BAD.

Cap got brainwashed, like basically everyone should've seen coming because, seriously, comic books.

It's a really poo poo story but it's poo poo the way those covers in the 70s where Superman looks like he's about to kill Batman when he's actually punching the bombs out of him or something are.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't remember austerity gaining quite the same purchase in Japan as in other countries, though I could be mistaken on that one.

They had Abe preaching trickle-down, instead, which did much the same. Japanese youngin's are profoundly hosed.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

spectralent posted:

They had Abe preaching trickle-down, instead, which did much the same. Japanese youngin's are profoundly hosed.

Austerity not so much, but working practices....

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

spectralent posted:

Well they aren't, which is a whole other problem about 40 years away.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38872899 how about that no amendments policy eh boys

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

spectralent posted:

Cap got brainwashed, like basically everyone should've seen coming because, seriously, comic books.

It's a really poo poo story but it's poo poo the way those covers in the 70s where Superman looks like he's about to kill Batman when he's actually punching the bombs out of him or something are.

Nah, I think they are referring to the recent Spencer run of Sam Wilson: Captain America.

(They are the villains)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Namtab posted:

Austerity not so much, but working practices....

Yeah, in addition to trickle-down Japan's got horrible working culture and something like 40% of young people are still dependant on financial support from relatives despite relatively innocuous youth unemployment. Like the west Japan's a country where there's a fuckload of kids who society hosed over but still expects to be productive adults in lifetime careers getting married and producing kids and blames for not being able to do that despite the fact most of them don't have the hours in the day to do that and, even if they did, probably couldn't afford to.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jBrereton posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38872899 how about that no amendments policy eh boys

I sense another migraine is coming.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Fangz posted:

Nah, I think they are referring to the recent Spencer run of Sam Wilson: Captain America.

(They are the villains)

If it helps, Nick Spencer is loving trash and has been for the last 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Fangz posted:

(They are the villains)

Ooooh, that.

That is pretty fuckin' bad, but OTOH I'm pretty sure the guy currently writing Captain America has also said people shouldn't punch nazis, which is kind of like PETA running a meat deli.

• Locked thread