Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

loving history channel

:eng99:

it was aliens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

https://i.imgur.com/1K5Fy58.gifv

https://gfycat.com/EcstaticGlitteringIberianbarbel

https://gfycat.com/ScratchyConfusedChimpanzee

:flashfap:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

I've never seen this before. Are these shots from the Soviet tests? The way the ground just kind of lifts up is some weird anime poo poo.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mike-o posted:

it was aliens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWihNBmupdI

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Deathy McDeath posted:

I've never seen this before. Are these shots from the Soviet tests? The way the ground just kind of lifts up is some weird anime poo poo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannikin

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mike-o posted:

I'm a little rusty on my airplane sperging, but I seem to recall that they have such a good wing/lifting area that they can fly balls slow to the point that the Russians would just have dudes jump out of it onto the ground at low level without getting hurt.

It's Russia, so the whole "without getting hurt" thing was probably just a happy coincidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwizQfIiBuQ&t=21s

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's Russia, so the whole "without getting hurt" thing was probably just a happy coincidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwizQfIiBuQ&t=21s

If BMPs had tracks Mike Sparks would be jizzing his pants

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Deathy McDeath posted:

Never before seen footage from planet Namek!

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015

Slim Pickens posted:

I was walking through bartells to buy some random stuff and spotted this in the magazine rack.

Guess which unit they spend 99% of the magazine blowing?
Seals, of course

But they did include a nod here and there to our other sof units. Like the delta rangers :downs:

GJ editor/researchers, couldn't even Google the simplest thing.

Where were the Ice Road Truckers during this engagement?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Scratch Monkey posted:

If BMPs had tracks Mike Sparks would be jizzing his pants

bmps and bmds have tracks.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

bmps and bmds have tracks.

OH GOD :gizz:

(I was thinking of the BRDM)

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
If you're not read on to the army's delta ranger program just lol

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I was just bouncing around on the Delta Force Wikipedia page and was horrified to find out that that they recruit directly from the 75th.

I'm just gonna assume that's a typo in there, or that it's a "potential" pipeline.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
If you want dudes who have experience in direct action and wandering around the woods the Rangers aren't the worst to draw from

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The worst in the list, which is basically all of JSOC.

My experience with rangers has been them begging and pleading for personnel, people and equipment because they've ruined theirs, and then copping a smug attitude when they then return all your poo poo broken as well. So I'm a little jaded.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Nobody is worse than the SEALs.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

not caring here posted:

The worst in the list, which is basically all of JSOC.

My experience with rangers has been them begging and pleading for personnel, people and equipment because they've ruined theirs, and then copping a smug attitude when they then return all your poo poo broken as well. So I'm a little jaded.

where should delta get their guys from then?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
My dad was a career SF officer and even in retirement works as a contractor for SOCOM. Despite being a part of SOCOM he doesn't consider Rangers to really be SOF. He has a pretty low opinion of SEALs as well. He deployed to Afghanistan with a Task Force that was mostly made up of SEALs and Rangers and according to him both units routinely made some pretty dumb decisions. He's obviously biased but he says that the SF group that was also there at the same time was showing them up hardcore. He spent his whole deployment wishing he was with that SF group instead.

In my short time in the Army I've been on 2 posts with Rangers and can't say I'm all that impressed either. The SF dudes on post are way more chill to deal with.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I always like when someone is in a totally non-combat job/unit/whatever and still feels the need to brag about a ranger tab. Like, dude, that's basically as important as the 26.2 sticker on the back of someone's truck at this point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

the forums

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

I think I worded that poorly. What I meant was rangers being the worst pick of what you could dig up at JSOC, not that all of JSOC sucks.

But it seems seals get an even worse rap, but I've never met a seal except for dudes whose uncle is totally a seal bro.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

not caring here posted:

I think I worded that poorly. What I meant was rangers being the worst pick of what you could dig up at JSOC, not that all of JSOC sucks.

But it seems seals get an even worse rap, but I've never met a seal except for dudes whose uncle is totally a seal bro.

All I know about seals is what the green beanies I work with have said, basically nothing good. Seals are notorious in the SOF community for lack of planning abilities, usually having outside organizations or higher HQ make their plans. Additionally US SF was given the option to go on Operation Red Wings and they said "nope, super dangerous with no comms, we'll sit this one out". On the plus side seals are well known for their ability to handle some serious suck thanks to their training pipeline

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Current event (sorta), the USS Gerald Ford is testing its jet catapult by chucking cars into the water. Yay!

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/828234422923063298

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

What would an all goon SF unit be like?

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

my kinda ape posted:

Heavily overweight.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

my kinda ape posted:

Figured out the unit motto:

Pacem per superiora Autism

Peace Through Superior Autism

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Ad Anime Per Asperger.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Who Dares, Chins

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/828378314725289986

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

-Anders posted:

Heavily overweight.

So, Larry Vickers?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Was wondering when that would happen again. It was pretty effective on the Cole and there's plenty of videos of people using RPGs and missiles on these ships to no effect.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
When I was in, rip cadre said something like 97% of dudes in Delta were former Rangers. That might include dudes that went sf along the way, I dunno. We probably attract more dudes capable of making it through the physical part of selection, not to say sf is weak, but there's some next level meat heads in battalion

not caring here posted:

They don't pull from jsoc for the most part, they pull from the army.

Rangers are a perfectly capable direct action unit, but I don't envy anyone that has to deal with their washouts.

And uh, how much can actually be said about red wings at this point?

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
Number I heard was 60-70% of delta come from ranger and all but about 1-2% of the rest coming from SF. A squad leader from my first platoon had someone from the Coast Guard or something weird like that in his selection class. Rangers in regiment have a lot of DA experience and are generally pretty good in firefights. You get a good number of stupid people in regiment but most of them don't make it to delta. The guys I knew that were making the jump mostly didn't seem like idiots. You still get some idiots in delta anyway though.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Buca di Bepis posted:

Was wondering when that would happen again. It was pretty effective on the Cole and there's plenty of videos of people using RPGs and missiles on these ships to no effect.

I guess it comes down to "saudis lol", but it's really bizarre that they weren't prepared for something like this considering the enviroment they operate in.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
What's even funnier is we just sent the Cole back to patrol off the coast of Yemen.

I'm guessing the ROE are going to be a bit less restrictive this time.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

subterfudge posted:

Number I heard was 60-70% of delta come from ranger and all but about 1-2% of the rest coming from SF. A squad leader from my first platoon had someone from the Coast Guard or something weird like that in his selection class. Rangers in regiment have a lot of DA experience and are generally pretty good in firefights. You get a good number of stupid people in regiment but most of them don't make it to delta. The guys I knew that were making the jump mostly didn't seem like idiots. You still get some idiots in delta anyway though.

The coast guard thing is kinda weird. Do they let just anyone attend a selection class? Like, if you were a high speed admin guy in an SF group who really liked crossfit, could you walk down the road and sign up to be a shooter?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Deathy McDeath posted:

The coast guard thing is kinda weird. Do they let just anyone attend a selection class? Like, if you were a high speed admin guy in an SF group who really liked crossfit, could you walk down the road and sign up to be a shooter?

I'd expect you'd at least need to be combat arms, that's the way it was for CSOR. You could be the most HSLD clerk or driver and you can apply for the CSOR support group, but not as a shooter. Needed to be infantry, armor, artillery or engineer.

bzw
Mar 31, 2007
waxing

MA-Horus posted:

I'd expect you'd at least need to be combat arms, that's the way it was for CSOR. You could be the most HSLD clerk or driver and you can apply for the CSOR support group, but not as a shooter. Needed to be infantry, armor, artillery or engineer.

Maybe it used to be, but that isn't the case anymore: http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/operations-special-forces/csor-faqs.page

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
I think you can be almost any MOS that they have some need for since they do have support units. They have an interview anyway where they try to figure what type of person you are, why you went for selection, etc... Even for the guys from Regiment, they like you to have at least two years of leadership experience at squad level or higher. So you could go to selection as an E-4 and make it through and they'd tell you that they like you and you're welcome back so come back and do the whole course again in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Delta needs and hires support guys, too. The selection isn't nearly as rigorous as the one for operators, naturally, but you can get in the unit.

And guys trying to be operators don't bother going to selection until they've already had a few years of being a squad leader under their belts. It doesn't matter if you crush the land nav portion, if you don't have enough leadership experience they'll ask you to come back and try again when you do.